Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Nah, there are some others. Bad Santa, Blood Simple, The Yards, and Payback are a couple off the top of my head.

Edited to add The Yards, which just came to me.

Also John Cassavetes' second cut of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. And I wanna say Roeg's Walkabout but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snak posted:

What are the differences between Bad Santa's director's cut and regular cut? It's one of my favorite comedies, but for some reason I haven't bothered to track down the director's cut (possibly because I love the version I know so much)

This pretty much covers it:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4618

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Ah, it's been bugging me this whole time: Tony Scott's Revenge is one of the best examples of a "leaner and meaner" director's cut. It is considerably shorter, and better.

Oh yeah, Oliver Stone's Alexander had a director's cut that was a bit shorter than the theatrical. He's since made a couple more kitchen sink cuts that are much longer though (the so-called Final Cut and the upcoming Sooper Dooper Ultimate Cut).

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 14, 2014

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
How should I watch the original Star Wars trilogy? I think the last time I saw them was on VHS, and I don't know which home movie options I should check out or avoid entirely.

My girlfriend sent me on an unfortunate tangent when she said she's never seen them.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Just get the blu rays. The changes suck, but you can't get the original version except on poorly transfered DVD. There is a bootleg "despecialized" version out there that (supposedly) tries to recreate the originals from the blu ray, but it's not that great from what I've seen of it and they seem to needlessly change stuff the same way Lucas did.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 15, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just fast forward through the Jabba scene in 4, and the new song in Jabba's palace in 6 and find a youtube of the Yub Yub song to play over the new song at the end of Jedi.

Those are the only bad parts. The greedo/Han bit is poorly done but it's short whatever. Who cares about old man Anakin at end of Jedi either. I don't think there are many other changes. I've kinda half heartedly watched them about a million times since I have kids now and those are the only changes I even remember.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Schweinhund posted:

Just get the blu rays. The changes suck, but you can't get the original version except on poorly transfered DVD. There is a bootleg "despecialized" version out there that (supposedly) tries to recreate the originals from the blu ray, but it's not that great from what I've seen of it and they seem to needlessly change stuff the same way Lucas did.

If there's any changes to the despcialized version, I didn't notice them. It just looks like a nice version of the movie I remember from VHS.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zfleeman posted:

How should I watch the original Star Wars trilogy? I think the last time I saw them was on VHS, and I don't know which home movie options I should check out or avoid entirely.

My girlfriend sent me on an unfortunate tangent when she said she's never seen them.

Grab your old vhs and stick em in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The limited edition DVDs have the best quality. They upscale surprisingly well and look better than the old Episode One DVD.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

The limited edition DVDs have the best quality. They upscale surprisingly well and look better than the old Episode One DVD.

They are a bit expensive now that they've been OOP for a while. (About eight years.) If you can track them down, that's good, but if not, the various changes don't significantly change the story or pacing- it's not like Redux or anything.

I fully expect Disney to eventually release the original unaltered versions because they'll want to mine every last penny from the IP, but that probably won't be until Episode VII at the earliest.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is the cable TV edit of Silence of the Lambs very different from the regular release? I'd like to watch it again if it's different/better enough to bother.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I would love to hear how they edited "I can smell your oval office".

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mescal posted:

Is the cable TV edit of Silence of the Lambs very different from the regular release? I'd like to watch it again if it's different/better enough to bother.

Buffalo Bill is creepier but I wouldn't say the story plays out in a drastically different way. Like most others it just omits and redacts the typical things (explicit nudity/language).

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm pretty sure it's "I can smell your fear."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

"Don't you love Alan Funt?!"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SkunkDuster posted:

"I smell your taint."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"Don't you love Alan Funt?!"

I myself do not.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I myself do not.

Wow, what a candid response. :smug:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I assume they just cut out the rest of Miggs' uh, interactions, with Clarice?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I saw it like ten years ago on TV and he said "I can smell your scent."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

I saw it like ten years ago on TV and he said "I can smell your scent."

I too saw it once years ago and this is the one change that I can still recall.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I saw a version with "i can smell your cake" and he throws confetti at her

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The one I saw was "can you smell what The Rock is cooking" and it turns out I had been watching wrestling.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Can anyone throw up some groups of movies where they both came out very near to each other and are/were perceived to be very similar in content? I'm thinking of stuff like The Prestige and The Illusionist, White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen and so on.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PTizzle posted:

Can anyone throw up some groups of movies where they both came out very near to each other and are/were perceived to be very similar in content? I'm thinking of stuff like The Prestige and The Illusionist, White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen and so on.

Dante's Peak / Volcano

A Bug's Life / Antz

Deep Impact / Armageddon

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PTizzle posted:

The Abyss
Leviathan
Deepstar Six

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What are some of the longest gaps between films by a director? Terrence Malick had a break of 20 years between Days of Heaven and the Thin Red Line, but I'm sure there are others.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PTizzle posted:

Capote / Infamous

The Raid / Dredd

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

PTizzle posted:

The Wild / Madagascar

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PTizzle posted:

Mission to Mars/Red Planet, and The Truman Show/EDtv. Also, I think Oblivion and After Earth last year were pretty similar.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

david_a posted:

Capote / Infamous

And with two degrees of Toby Jones...

Hitchcock / The Girl

e:

Klungar posted:

A Bug's Life / Antz

Finding Nemo / Shark Tale

franco fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 17, 2014

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

PTizzle posted:

Friends with Benefits > No Strings Attached
Tombstone > Wyatt Earp
The Cave > The Descent
Paul Blart Mall Cop > Observe & Report
Open Season > Over the Hedge
The A-Team > The Losers > The Expendables
Defendor > Super > Kick-rear end

And on a less similar note:
Mirror Mirror > Snow White & The Huntsman

Even More.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Do competing studios know about what the other is doing and just decide to come up with something similar to compete or out of spite?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What are some of the longest gaps between films by a director? Terrence Malick had a break of 20 years between Days of Heaven and the Thin Red Line, but I'm sure there are others.

22 years for George Lucas between Star Wars '77 and The Phantom Menace. Although, he apparently co-directed Return of the Jedi without credit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boofchicken posted:

Do competing studios know about what the other is doing and just decide to come up with something similar to compete or out of spite?

One thing I'm familiar with that can cause this sometimes is that an IP becomes public domain. When that happens, tons of scripts for different interpretations of that property come out of the woodwork.

I can recall recently that the rights for Peter Pan were going to enter the public domain and there were several stories being shopped around Hollywood based around those characters. The one I can recall was about a police Captain (James Hook) who was tracking down some colorful weirdo who Pied Piper-ed children out of their homes. In addition to at least two more or less straight retellings.

I'm unclear on how shopping a script works in Hollywood, but I imagine there are teams of lawyers involved. So if you have a story, and you try and sell it to some studios who all read it, but pass on it, it might "inspire" them to make their own movie that sounds similar to the one you wrote, just with enough changes to be plausibly denied.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PTizzle posted:

18 Again / Vice Versa / Big

e: Forgot about Like Father Like Son which also came out about the same time. 87-88 was a heady time for age-swap comedy fans.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 17, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CzarChasm posted:

One thing I'm familiar with that can cause this sometimes is that an IP becomes public domain. When that happens, tons of scripts for different interpretations of that property come out of the woodwork.

I can recall recently that the rights for Peter Pan were going to enter the public domain and there were several stories being shopped around Hollywood based around those characters. The one I can recall was about a police Captain (James Hook) who was tracking down some colorful weirdo who Pied Piper-ed children out of their homes. In addition to at least two more or less straight retellings.

I'm unclear on how shopping a script works in Hollywood, but I imagine there are teams of lawyers involved. So if you have a story, and you try and sell it to some studios who all read it, but pass on it, it might "inspire" them to make their own movie that sounds similar to the one you wrote, just with enough changes to be plausibly denied.

At one point I heard there were going to be 3 different Wizard of Oz related movies at the same time because Oz fell into the public domain (just the books, not the movie obviously). Dont know what happened with the other 2, presumably development hell.

Sometimes it is the "We'll pass on the script and have our script doctors work up an "original property" which is legally distinct" thing (although I've heard of that more with adaptations of books than with original scripts), sometimes its a "We've heard company X is betting big on a (whatever) movie, we'd better make one too in case thats the next genre to have a big resurgence".

Sometimes its probably a coincidence. Cant give a movie example, but in comicbooks the doom patrol and Xmen were released within a very short time span, both teams of misfits with a wheelchair bound leader. Except as far as I know the turnaround on the books was such that there was no realistic way that one was a response to the other. Sometimes the zeitgeist is such that 2 companies both think "twisted fairy tales might make money" and both settle on "Snow white" as the fairy tale to make.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Weren't there two biopics about Prefontaine that came out about the same time?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

whydirt posted:

Weren't there two biopics about Prefontaine that came out about the same time?

Yeah, Prefontaine was 97 and Without Limits was 98.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 1976 King Kong was almost a case of that. Dino de Laurentiis got the rights, Universal was pissed because they thought they had a verbal agreement with RKO and tried to go ahead with their version when it was ruled that the novelization had gone into the public domain. But there really wouldn't have been room for two Kong remakes, and de Laurentiis won because he started filming first. (Though he did settle with Universal, which ended up being the basis of the Jackson version.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PTizzle posted:

The Steve Jobs movie with Kutcher / The Steve Jobs movie without Kutcher
Turner and Hootch / K-9
Saving Private Ryan / The Thin Red Line
Showgirls / Striptease
Fast and the Furious / Gone in Sixty Seconds
Happy Feet / Surfs Up
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves / Robin Hood
Despicable Me / Megamind
Top Gun / Iron Eagle

Someone said After Earth / Oblivion, but the first thing that came to mind for me was Oblivion / Elysium (I haven't seen either so they might be totally different, that's just the impression I got).