Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm going to guess that what's about to fall on Jones is an SC250, since that was one of the more common types.

OK, I was close. With an SC50 he almost certainly could have gotten away if he hadn't been so nice. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I've never seen, or conceived of, a death depicted that way. Brilliant.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Achewater: http://achewood.com/about.php, http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12242004, and http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2013/10/148-173.html

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Go home Annie, you're drunk.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kennel posted:

Go home Annie, you're drunk.

BOYS I KNOW

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm finding this chapter really happy and uplifting

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Achewater Website posted:

Modern science has confirmed that achewood oil, the active ingredient in achewater, is a powerful depressant which causes irreversible neurological damage

Uhh, I'm gonna have to try to do some research on this later, but daaaaaaaamn! :stare:

If that's true, Sareed really gave Annie a dose of the heavy stuff for her first night out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well this explains a bit of Annie & Jack in the "sneaking out" chapter

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Uhh, I'm gonna have to try to do some research on this later, but daaaaaaaamn! :stare:

If that's true, Sareed really gave Annie a dose of the heavy stuff for her first night out.

Achewater is as real as switchwater.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Personally this is the one that came up in my mind: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04022003

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Achewater is a fictional drink from that comic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insert whatever quote about war, hell, and/or civilian losses works for you. Rest in pieces, kid. :smith:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 17, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

If you find a place to buy Ancient Situation, make sure to let me know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

He's not a boy, Kat. He's just a ghost.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Cease to Hope posted:

If you find a place to buy Ancient Situation, make sure to let me know.

Oh, so it's fake then? Haha, well that's what I get for posting before looking into something then!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Basically it's a fantasy absinthe. Both Achewood's achewood and Broodhollow's switchwood are direct references to wormwood.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I can't believe I'm the first one to point this out, but the schematic in today's comic? In technical terms, that's an exploded view drawing.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Normally I'd write that off as an interesting coincidence. Given Tom's last post here, though, I can't help but believe it was 100% intentional.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm certain it's a COMPLETE coincidence.

:what:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Shieldhill posted:

I've never seen, or conceived of, a death depicted that way. Brilliant.
This is Gunnerkrigg Court though. There is plenty of precedence pointing to it being something even stranger than that.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Exploded schematics are also kind of a recurring thing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Well it certainly makes that bit of writing referencing 'It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country,' in Mort's first appearance a bit more depressing. I guess it serves as an interesting contrast with his actual motive to help a bystander.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Rincewind posted:

Exploded schematics are also kind of a recurring thing.
Yeah that is why I'm wondering if the death thing isn't just a psych out and more than just some insanely weird manifestation of an ability. The only time schematics have been a thing involves a person exerting supernatural control over technology.

Roland Jones posted:

On that topic, in 389 she asks Annie, "You know this boy?" which is an interesting way to phrase it. Not inaccurate, but in hindsight it shows that Jones thinks of him as a kid, which, as we are know seeing, is apparently what she knew him as.
When we are talking about age pretty much everyone can be called a kid to Jones.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 17, 2014

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

cafel posted:

Well it certainly makes that bit of writing referencing 'It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country,' in Mort's first appearance a bit more depressing. I guess it serves as an interesting contrast with his actual motive to help a bystander.

I think the most depressing thing about Mort's death isn't that he was killed in a bombing run, but that he was killed in a bombing run because he went away from safety to try to do the right thing. He saw someone wandering in the opposite direction of the bunker and went to be the hero and wrangle them back in the right direction. Only the person that he went to help knew they were going where they were going and they didn't need his help to begin with.

So Mort was a good kid who did the right thing, but was killed for it just because he happened to be in a warzone. It's a damned sad thing to see. :sigh:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MadScientistWorking posted:

When we are talking about age pretty much everyone can be called a kid to Jones.

"Boy" can also mean "adolescent male", not just "male younger than me". Besides, I am pretty sure that Jones doesn't go around calling adults "boy" and "girl". She's so in-control of herself that I bet every word of hers is carefully chosen.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

a good kid who did the right thing, but was killed for it just because he happened to be in a warzone.

That is pretty much war in a nutshell

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

That is pretty much war in a nutshell

This is strangely fitting.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

I would like to use this one please. Would it be all right for me to use this one?

It is good that Mort is happy to be a ghost.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DNA Cowboys posted:

I would like to use this one please. Would it be all right for me to use this one?

It is good that Mort is happy to be a ghost.

It's little too big for an avatar.

Here:

Comparison

26 kB                 35 kB

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
God, I love panel 2.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kennel posted:

Here:

Comparison

Huh, I could have sworn I trimmed it down to avatar size.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's a pretty quality mix of dubiousness and hungoverness.

E: One of my favorite artists made a thing!

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 18, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tollymain posted:

It's a pretty quality mix of dubiousness and hungoverness.

E: One of my favorite artists made a thing!

Dang, that's good stuff right there.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
thank you Avatar Fairy for giving me an avatar that contains reference to my two favourite webcomics :)

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Here:

Comparison

NoWhammyNoWhammyNoWhammySTOP!!!

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Has anyone taken drunk Annie yet? I want to scoop it up after work once I can think of some text.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So Khepi gave Sareed that bruise on her cheek for giving Annie achewater?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

The Red Queen posted:

So Khepi gave Sareed that bruise on her cheek for giving Annie achewater?

Her or Mr. Anwyn (but more likely her)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The first time I saw it I thought it was a burn mark, that she started fires shooting into the air (since they later asked her about it), and she accidentally scorched her.