Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Armyman25 posted:

It's a Shoei helmet in large. I've tried the medium, but that felt way too tight. I will probably have to look into other brands.

A medium will break into something that feels like a large...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Work out what shape head you have and look for models which are made for your head shape. E.g. I'm a long oval and the Arai Profile is a model designed for long oval heads. Fits like a glove, whereas the HJC I had before had a hot spot which only became apparent after an hour on the highway and gave me a splitting headache just from cutting off blood flow to the skin on my forehead. You do still want it to be quite tight around the face when new (the squished cheeks I mentioned before), the cheek pads will give more room as they wear in.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

the HJC I had before had a hot spot which only became apparent after an hour on the highway and gave me a splitting headache just from cutting off blood flow to the skin on my forehead.

I must be long oval too because my HJC did that to me and drat it blew (I could count the number of headaches I'd had on one hand before that). I basically stopped riding anywhere further than work until I found something that fit. My Qwest is amazing but is louder somehow.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Safety Dance posted:

I finally got to use my Handroids today, and let me tell you, I really should have broken them in using my glove liners. I had no idea that tiny amount of fabric would have made such a huge difference, but it did. I ditched the liners for the ride home, though, and they fit amazing!

Little late catching your post but I'm very happy they were able to fit you!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OSU_Matthew posted:

Boot question... anyone have any experience with or notice any reason I should avoid Fly Maverik ATV boots?

I just spent several hours at the local motorcycle store trying on just about every boot known to man, but nothing I particularly liked fit my freakishly large feet. This one eventually caught my eye near the end, but they didn't have any in my size.

Seems like it'd be nice for dual sport use, and the buckles seemed really easy to operate, plus, you know, it's cheap.

I've got a pair of the atv boots, and I'd recommend them. Build quality is about what you'd expect for $100. They're pretty comfortable when they break in, though. They're not terrible to walk in, and the lugged sole is nice. They feel very ankle-protective, which is one of the more important points. There is zero lateral movement. I haven't tested the waterproofness, but I'm inclined to believe the reviews that say they're not at all. So far, I recommend them.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I have the Arai XD-4 in Medium, and its somewhat noisy because of a combination of the height of my windshield (tiger 800xc) and the fact that the shape of my head around the back near my neck and ears seems to curve in more than the helmet, and this provides a bit of a wind ingress in that gap. (I've tried a small and its hilarious, medium is the correct size) I can drastically change the noise by posture and peak position etc etc. It's a great example of how helmet noise is really dependent on a lot of external factors.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bricks and mortar gear store in seattle /tukwila-southcenter area? I just realised my summer gloves are beyond salvaging so I'm going to need a new set. I'm going to be in seattle the first week of April, so I might pick some up there before I'm back in the UK.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

devians posted:

I have the Arai XD-4 in Medium, and its somewhat noisy because of a combination of the height of my windshield (tiger 800xc) and the fact that the shape of my head around the back near my neck and ears seems to curve in more than the helmet, and this provides a bit of a wind ingress in that gap. (I've tried a small and its hilarious, medium is the correct size) I can drastically change the noise by posture and peak position etc etc. It's a great example of how helmet noise is really dependent on a lot of external factors.

And a great example of how great earplugs are because they nullify all of that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Linedance posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bricks and mortar gear store in seattle /tukwila-southcenter area? I just realised my summer gloves are beyond salvaging so I'm going to need a new set. I'm going to be in seattle the first week of April, so I might pick some up there before I'm back in the UK.

Triumph of Seattle (formerly known as Cycle Barn) is my favorite shop in the area, but they're way up in Lynnwood. Seattle Cycle Center on Aurora is also good. Both shops are really friendly, low pressure, no bullshit, and are often willing to take 10-15% off just for asking.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone ridden with the TCX X-Street shoes? I have a pair of Sidis for longer/weekend rides but I want something I can wear at work when I ride to work on Fridays.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Triumph of Seattle (formerly known as Cycle Barn) is my favorite shop in the area, but they're way up in Lynnwood. Seattle Cycle Center on Aurora is also good. Both shops are really friendly, low pressure, no bullshit, and are often willing to take 10-15% off just for asking.

And if you go south, I'd skip Hinshaw's. They're expensive and the reviews I've heard of their work range from "meh" to "they change my oil for me."

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
The south side of Seattle and renton is a wasteland for bike shops. You'll have to go down to Auburn, or north, or further out. There used to be a megastore down there like a mile from where you're talking about, renton motorcycle company, but they shut down, and now there's basically just a harley place. Most of the bike dealerships I've been to have a decent selection of helmets and a small obligatory gear rack, not a whole lot of stuff to choose from.

Eagle Leather down in Auburn has a decent selection. If the name didnt tip you off, though, they do cater more towards the cruiser or old man touring crowd because this is america and thats what sells. I think firstgear and scorpion are as close to premium as they get. They do nothing but bike gear though and are nice enough folks.

I've bought gear (and a bike) at Hinshaws and have no complaints, their gear and parts guys are pretty decent. The gear guy recognizes me, and when I had a complaint about the pinlock on my visor he went through a couple to make it right and said it was warranty and not to worry about it. Selection is a bit limited but I think they do stock some alpinestars, with the usual olympia, firstgear, icon, joe rocket, tourmasters. I haven't used their shop, can't comment on that.

There is a cycle gear down in Auburn as well, I think they did have some Dainese gloves hiding among the house brand stuff.

I think I90 motorsports out in issiquah has a decent gear section, only been there once though. Bellevue Kawasaki has fairly little, nice people but tiny shop. Aurora Suzuki doesnt have a huge selection, they had some firstgear and some roland sands that I noticed, dont recall what else since I wasnt really looking for anything, just wandering around waiting for the techs to finish.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We have Dainese & A-Stars gloves. The A-Stars are actually on closeout to make room for the next models. The full gauntlets are around $80 I think. Shorties are around $60 I want to say.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

kloa posted:

Has anyone ridden with the TCX X-Street shoes? I have a pair of Sidis for longer/weekend rides but I want something I can wear at work when I ride to work on Fridays.

Wore them yesterday. I have never worn them all day. They are my casual riding shoe but when I ride to work I wear boots and change at work.

They are decent looking shoes. Good ankle/toe support but just about any boot is going to offer better protection.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm going to be picking up some gloves tomorrow, since I need a pair for the MSF, and I feel I might as well buy the real thing instead of using gardening gloves. Any advice on what to look for in gloves? I'm going for gauntlets of course, and I want something really breathable since I'm in SoCal.

devians
Sep 25, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Thats true. I have ridden with earplugs in in this helmet and it does help to an extent. Mine are custom moulded to my ear jobs and even with that it can get tiresome after long periods riding. Plus, I like being able to use my sena system. I plan to get some nice monitors moulded to my ears so I can do both but have not gotten around to that expensive little exercise just yet.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

devians posted:

Thats true. I have ridden with earplugs in in this helmet and it does help to an extent. Mine are custom moulded to my ear jobs and even with that it can get tiresome after long periods riding. Plus, I like being able to use my sena system. I plan to get some nice monitors moulded to my ears so I can do both but have not gotten around to that expensive little exercise just yet.

In my experience, custom molded earplugs were not a patch on foamies I bought at the chemist, disappointingly. I think it may have been because I contorted my face in response to the bizarre sensation as the guy injected the rubber (then he told me not to move because it distorts the ear canal, thanks guy!), but it goes to show that the fact that they're custom molded doesn't necessarily mean poo poo.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Most annoying thing: Get three blocks down the road and realize you haven't put them in.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MoraleHazard posted:

Most annoying thing: Get three blocks down the road and realize you haven't put them in.

I did that when heading home to visit family... except I forgot them altogether, so I just stopped into a hardware store and bought a cheapie pair that I've been using ever since.

I got my Fly Maverick ATV boots in the mail today, and I'm really quite pleased. Dunno about the waterproofness, but the ankle armor feels very sturdy, the snaps are easy, the tread seems plenty aggressive for waking on any terrain, and most importantly they fit quite comfortably. My feet are a half size bigger than the largest size they make, but they still fit well, and feel like they would be very protective in a crash.

I'm probably missing something, but they seem a lot nicer than any of the more expensive boots I tried on at the store.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OSU_Matthew posted:

I did that when heading home to visit family... except I forgot them altogether, so I just stopped into a hardware store and bought a cheapie pair that I've been using ever since.

I got my Fly Maverick ATV boots in the mail today, and I'm really quite pleased. Dunno about the waterproofness, but the ankle armor feels very sturdy, the snaps are easy, the tread seems plenty aggressive for waking on any terrain, and most importantly they fit quite comfortably. My feet are a half size bigger than the largest size they make, but they still fit well, and feel like they would be very protective in a crash.

I'm probably missing something, but they seem a lot nicer than any of the more expensive boots I tried on at the store.

I think the build quality is probably just inconsistent on them. Mine fit great, but the section of the tongue (?) over the instep has a little too much material, so there's a bulge between the bottom and middle buckle. Also, the hard bit over the outside of the left ankle put a bit too much pressure on my ankle for the first couple wearings, but has since gone away. The material on the toe is bunched up in one section where it's stitched to the sole on my left boot as well. The right one has no issues at all. None of those things affect the wearability or protection, as far as I can tell.

Another thing: I'm wearing mine on a street bike, so they've changed my riding posture just enough that my knees get a little stiff after a couple hours. Still completely manageable, if a little unorthodox. And yeah, they feel like you could have your leg run over by a car and come out ok.

devians
Sep 25, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

In my experience, custom molded earplugs were not a patch on foamies I bought at the chemist, disappointingly. I think it may have been because I contorted my face in response to the bizarre sensation as the guy injected the rubber (then he told me not to move because it distorts the ear canal, thanks guy!), but it goes to show that the fact that they're custom molded doesn't necessarily mean poo poo.

Heh. Well mine fit perfectly. I was referring more to the fact that the constant light pressure and or the lack of airflow can get uncomfortable/painful. But I tour and 8 hour rides each day for weeks is normal.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Cross posting from the SoCal thread.

I ended up going to Wheels in Motion on De Soto. The selection of gear wasn't amazing, but I think the prices were.

I got Alpinestar SP1 gloves for $110.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-1-gloves

I also picked up Alpinestar SMX 6 boots for $210.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-6-boots

Good choices for gloves and boots? The prices seem pretty drat reasonable to me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Seem fine to me.

Don't be surprised if after a little riding you find you want something else, particularly with the gloves. It doesn't matter what you have now, you'll want something different. That's why I say to not blast the bank on your initial gear purchase. I have at least eight pairs of gloves.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chichevache posted:

Cross posting from the SoCal thread.

I ended up going to Wheels in Motion on De Soto. The selection of gear wasn't amazing, but I think the prices were.

I got Alpinestar SP1 gloves for $110.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-1-gloves

I also picked up Alpinestar SMX 6 boots for $210.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-6-boots

Good choices for gloves and boots? The prices seem pretty drat reasonable to me.

I have the short cuff version of those gloves - love them. I also have the SMX 6 boot and use it when I'm going to school since my SMX Plus' squeek like a motherfucker when I walk. The SMX6 has a lot less protection. Meh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seem fine to me.

Don't be surprised if after a little riding you find you want something else, particularly with the gloves. It doesn't matter what you have now, you'll want something different. That's why I say to not blast the bank on your initial gear purchase. I have at least eight pairs of gloves.

I know myself well enough to predict that I will always want more poo poo (white and orange gloves please), but I also want to have good protective gear from the get go.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

Three blocks? I twig as soon as I go to put my helmet on and realise everything sounds completely different. :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Well holy cow. If you have an XS, XL, or XXL head size, now's the time to order an EXO-700 for $30.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...roduct+Reviews!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If only my comically oval head would fit in a Scorpion helmet.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My current helmet is an XXL Scorpion EXO-700 that I bought a few years back. It's not a bad helmet at all, especially in the South with all of it's ventilation going on.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm doing the Cornerspin class in May with the DC area guys. It's a dirt track and they have MX gear for rental. I already have street and track gear: street helmet, mesh overpants, mesh jacket, gloves, track boots, etc. All I'm missing from the rental gear is elbow guards and a jersey. Is my street/track stuff going to be fine for the class?

edit: what are MX jerseys for? Do they even offer any protection??

Also, if I already have a street helmet, is there any reason to get a dirt helmet?

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 19, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ruby has started selling gloves now!

$600

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

lowcrabdiet posted:

I'm doing the Cornerspin class in May with the DC area guys. It's a dirt track and they have MX gear for rental. I already have street and track gear: street helmet, mesh overpants, mesh jacket, gloves, track boots, etc. All I'm missing from the rental gear is elbow guards and a jersey. Is my street/track stuff going to be fine for the class?

edit: what are MX jerseys for? Do they even offer any protection??

Also, if I already have a street helmet, is there any reason to get a dirt helmet?

As far as I'm aware, MX jerseys are for wearing over things like this.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Got me some shorty gloves with some branding, gotta represent y'know? Neoprene with goatskin in the palms and on the heels, with silicone strips everywhere for maximum grip (and no hard protection at all anywhere). All the white is reflective as well.

This particular model is being phased out (the replacement has hard protectors for knuckles and heel iirc), so they where on sale since for 15 dollars.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Are they street gloves? They look like dirt bike gloves.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd classify them as dirt bike gloves, but they're where part of KTMs street wear catalogue a couple of years ago. The replacement is the Radical X gloves.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Shopping for women's gear sucks rear end. When I moved to Texas from England the only motorcycle pants I bought over with me were a set of solid leather, somewhat baggy, cruiser-style heat traps. Protective yes, but they did not pass the Summer test and they have a habit of getting caught on footpegs. Needless to say my nice armoured jacket and gloves have lately been accompanied by jeans (:downs:), but now that I actually have money again protective pants are top of the list. If it's possible to get mostly leather without wanting to die in the heat, that would be great.

I've tried on a few pairs; Rev'it Gear 2's were really baggy even when the waist was tight, a lonely pair of Rev'it Marryls were awesome but too small and seemingly the only pair left in existence. Ordering something online seems to be my only choice so that leaves the shortlist so far: Rev'it Raven, Teknic Venom, and Alpinestar Vika.

The Vika's are super pretty but way overpriced for such thin leather and no hip protection... right? :( Any suggestions? Manpants never fit because of my waist-hip ratio.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've had a hard time finding ladies pants with hip protection, too. Most I've ever come across were onepieces from big name brands, but those just had soft protection at the hips. Honestly not even men's poo poo comes with good hip protection from what I've seen, people just kinda ignore it for whatever reason.

If you're in hot weather, you could try one of those dirt riding armored shorts for your hips + knee and shin armor + mesh pants on top, maybe. I've never seen women's specific ones, but they should be a little more form fitting than leather pants anyway.

Personally I have a pair of women's dainese alien pants, but they have no hip protection and I have to peel myself like a banana after a ride in 75 degree weather, so... I feel your pain.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

M42 posted:

I've had a hard time finding ladies pants with hip protection, too. Most I've ever come across were onepieces from big name brands, but those just had soft protection at the hips. Honestly not even men's poo poo comes with good hip protection from what I've seen, people just kinda ignore it for whatever reason..

Isn't it swappable in most pants, like knee armor is? I know most come with just foam pads but you can probably find more substantial protection that fits the pockets (maybe d3o pads?).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There's not even pockets in any of the (ladies) pants I've come across. Maybe those 1 pieces, but I haven't checked one out in person.

VVV My mistake. I just checked and there is a couple of small soft inserts in the alien pants, but they're sewn in and not replaceable.

M42 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Coulda sworn the (mens) Aliens took hip inserts.

I wouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good and pass up a well-fitting pair of pants for street riding just because they didn't have hip padding.