Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sinfjotli posted:

So I have an X-Force wolverine cover that's expiring today and I'm not sure whether it's better to just sell it off or sell one of my active covers to make room. I have a bunch of heroes at 1-2 powers that aren't really usable either (invisible woman, IM 40, Ragnarok, Magneto classic, Spider Man, Hulk) but I'm kind of hesitant to sell them off since they'll be easier to upgrade than wolverine and they might be essential characters in upcoming events. Is there an obvious move here or is it just a matter of personal preference?
Collecting X-Force covers is basically something to do at the moment, as he's worthless even if you have all 13 covers and have sunk the hundreds of thousands of ISO it takes to level him up. At max level his red attack does slightly more damage than Astonishing's, if you place his green attack just right you can get enough of his absolutely lovely strike tiles to equal two of Astonishing's, and his healing is really potent but on a 3-7 turn countdown tile which manages to make it less effective than Patch's (and pre-nerf Astonishing).

He was on the block to be funbalanced, but they started spamming out heroes and it hasn't been mentioned in a month or so so who knows if that's still a thing. Until then he's simply for the novelty of having a four-star character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is IW just as bad?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

IW is usable if you had all of her covers and unlimited ISO.

If you're not that kind of whale, then no.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

messagemode1 posted:

Doesn't parse.

If you have her at max level and max covers she's cool, if you don't, she's just as useless as X. Yes?

houseofmangle
May 18, 2011
Put in for AgentsofGOON. I'll pay forward for another slot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

messagemode1 posted:

Vaguely related: does it cost more ISO to level up a 3-star than a 1-star to, say, level 50? Ignoring the head start a 3-star gets.

And another: is a level 85 3-star stronger than a level 85 2-star?

Basically I'm trying to decide whether to level up IM40 or keep on trucking with Cap. IM is lvl 30 and 3/3/3 and Cap is lvl 50 with max skills.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't parse.

If you have her at max level and max covers she's cool, if you don't, she's just as useless as X. Yes?

The difference is X is still useless at max level and covers.

Seriously.

Edit: another difference is that she has really bad art.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Vaguely related: does it cost more ISO to level up a 3-star than a 1-star to, say, level 50? Ignoring the head start a 3-star gets.

Basically I'm trying to decide whether to level up IM40 or keep on trucking with Cap. IM is lvl 30 and 3/3/3 and Cap is lvl 50 with max skills.

Sorry for double posting.

It's actually cheaper to level up 3*s to 85 I think, but they are balanced to have worse stats at the same levels as 2*s. They only surpass them because they can level over 100.

Proof:

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

Fat Samurai posted:

From what I've read and recently experienced, 3-star characters will be weaker than a max 2-star until ~85. I don't know what the difference in xp is, but 3-stars definitely take a lot more to max out. 4-star is basically insane level xp requirements.

Edit:theory-crafting all pointless because you were talking about IM40, not IM35. Sorry.

slightlyslow fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

slightlyslow posted:

How many slot spaces do you have? IM40 is one of the 2 best (along with modern storm) one star covers, and it'll probably only take about 10k ISO to finish him off. He's pretty good overall. He's worth getting up to 50 once you get the rest of his covers, and they drop frequently from the standard tokens.

IM40 is the 3 star Iron Man. IM35 is the 1 star.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
3 goons have said they are willing to pay the 2000 HP slot cost to join AgentsOfGOON. There are only 2 slots left, one of which will get to freeload off of the 19th guy, obviously.

Lagotto asked first,
Gromdul next,
Houseofmangle last.

Are any of you ready to pay the 2000HP cost right now and are willing to let the next person freeload or will we need to hold some kind of drawing for the spots? I'm trying to be fair I just am not good at it!

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

Spikey posted:

IM40 is the 3 star Iron Man. IM35 is the 1 star.

Gah, I always mess that up, sorry.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't parse.

Her abilities are decent after a few covers and she isn't a damage dealer so the power of them doesn't matter as much as the control of the board. X-Force's abilities are worse than a 1-star's at every level at every power level.

Fat Samurai posted:

It's cheaper to get a 3-star to level 50 than a 1-star, but they'll be weaker at that level.

IM40 will be weaker than Cap (in pure stats terms) until he's in his late 90s, but it will also only cost ~10k more in ISO to get him to 100 as it will to get Cap to 85.

For reference, the wiki says the levelling costs in ISO to max are 28k for a 1-star, 70k for a 2-star, 170k for a 3-star, and assuming the increase stays about the same the cost for a 4-star should be about 260k. For comparison, a 4-star has stats that are, at max, 4% better than a 3-stars.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

3 goons have said they are willing to pay the 2000 HP slot cost to join AgentsOfGOON. There are only 2 slots left, one of which will get to freeload off of the 19th guy, obviously.

Lagotto asked first,
Gromdul next,
Houseofmangle last.

Are any of you ready to pay the 2000HP cost right now and are willing to let the next person freeload or will we need to hold some kind of drawing for the spots? I'm trying to be fair I just am not good at it!

I will buy hero points to open a slot as soon as I get a spot and get promoted. Is there a maximum size?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

My level 100 3-stars do 51/45/40, my level 85 2-stars do 50/45/39. IM40 5 red does 2654 at level 100, for 13 red/2 rest, his blue does 1991 to all enemies for 20 blue/2 rest. Level 85 wolvx 5 red does 2884 for 12 red ap.
Also, according to this spreadsheet linked from the d3 forums, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ams8l75KESRddC1hcFp5UjB4cEVLXzlQU1pRY24zMFE&usp=sharing it costs roughly 10k more iso to level a 3 star to where they equal a 2 star in tile attack damage (level 98).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks, that was quite helpful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm glad they're holding off on funbalancing stuff because everyone hates that poo poo and they never seem to time the announcements very well and it stirs up a ton of bad sentiment. Still it'd be good to know what the hell's going to happen to my Spider-Man.

Invisible Woman (Classic)
Thor (Marvel NOW!)
Wolverine (X-Force)
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Classic)
Spiderman (Classic)

Wonder what balances Hawkeye is going to be hit with. Magneto's Purple and Spidey's Blue are definitely getting a nerf, but I wonder about their other abilities too. And who knows what will happen to Xforce Wolvie, that character's a wreck.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 17, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

SynthOrange posted:

I'm glad they're holding off on funbalancing stuff because everyone hates that poo poo and they never seem to time the announcements very well and it stirs up a ton of bad sentiment. Still it'd be good to know what the hell's going to happen to my Spider-Man.
Well, if they go the Wolverine route they'll funbalance him just in time to add a Black Costume Spider-Man with busted moves that go unpatched for one tournament. Or they could go the Thor route and funbalance him in favor of adding a 4-star Superior Spider-Man with better stats, who you can use to the exclusion of the old version in an event/tournament series.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Maybe it's my noobishness talking, but the rarer characters like Modern Thor seem really lovely. The covers are impossible to get without whaling, the abilities are exactly the same as the 2* that's easy to cover-max, and even if you manage to get 10+ covers for Modern Thor, he's still going to be 100k+ ISO to get started as good as the 2* version.

I joined Metal Bawkses as Brucie Beetle, by the way, since you other alliances apparently can't handle that much man. Don't kick me!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

gromdul posted:

I will buy hero points to open a slot as soon as I get a spot and get promoted. Is there a maximum size?

Gromdul you're promoted. You get to pick who will freeload off of your Hero Points if you want!

e: Max size is 20 people.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Maybe it's my noobishness talking, but the rarer characters like Modern Thor seem really lovely. The covers are impossible to get without whaling, the abilities are exactly the same as the 2* that's easy to cover-max, and even if you manage to get 10+ covers for Modern Thor, he's still going to be 100k+ ISO to get started as good as the 2* version.
That depends on if they changed the ability scaling for the 3* Thor at all. Its something like 14k iso cheaper to get a 3* to 85, so if the abilities are exactly the same, 3* thor would be a good investment (of iso) assuming he can be used in place of 2* thor for any requirements.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Alright, who wants to be let in the most? Since whomever joins will be doing so on my dollar, how about who ever buys me a forums upgrade?

If that's not cool, then I am going to hold a bracketed tournament of coin flips to pick the winner.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 18, 2014

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I don't think you should ask for a forums upgrade.

Probably either pick randomly or hold an mpq fanart/fanfic contest and award the winner with entry.

I want to see terrible things.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

messagemode1 posted:

I don't think you should ask for a forums upgrade.

Probably either pick randomly or hold an mpq fanart/fanfic contest and award the winner with entry.

I want to see terrible things.

I support this idea

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Fan art contest it is! A much better idea. Thanks!

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Has anyone been able to beat that 2k Heroic Mission with Daken and the two goons without boosts? My mission has them all over level 170 and they wipe me no matter who I throw at them. It's that drat Lieutenant constantly healing while the other random attacks are hitting for 1-2k. I guess I'm hosed.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Use captain America with blue boosts.

You can stun daken and replace heal tiles in one move!

You should also open the entries for the slot up to any Poor Goon(tm) who would like to be in a 20 member alliance but couldn't afford the iron price. The more entries the better.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 18, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

chrisf posted:

That depends on if they changed the ability scaling for the 3* Thor at all. Its something like 14k iso cheaper to get a 3* to 85, so if the abilities are exactly the same, 3* thor would be a good investment (of iso) assuming he can be used in place of 2* thor for any requirements.
I fought a maxed one in the last tournament. His Call the Storm does 3k instead of 2k single-target damage, so it's a fair boost to his damage.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

messagemode1 posted:

You should also open the entries for the slot up to any Poor Goon(tm) who would like to be in a 20 member alliance but couldn't afford the iron price. The more entries the better.

Make it so.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This event is complete poo poo. They toss you a bone by being able to use wolverine, but if you don't have Psylocke or Modern Thor you may as well not even try playing without boosts. I have a solid Cap/Wolverine/Storm team but there's no loving way to get enough board churn to handle PVE poo poo, and no way to lock down the strike tiles either. The best there is happens to be Storm's green ability, maybe her red, but I need both of those to make the strike tiles necessary to deal enough damage to down enemies before they shove seven tiles on the bottom row, making them impossible to get except by sheer luck.

I just lost to Yelena/Soldier/Lieutenant because the hero choice is such poo poo. If I could use the other Thor, none of that would be a problem--he has really good chip attacks and board churn that compliments Storm. But she is only level 50, and can't go any higher. She can't churn the board on her own.

It's just lovely. They could have boosted heroes instead, or they could have made it so only certain heroes (and their variants) could be used, but the current list is just crappy. It's not even stupid hard missions, it's "you're going to lose because we aren't letting use your good characters, welp cya"

Guarantee that heroic mode venom is going to be just as bad, probably locking you down to Gray Black Widow, Spider-Man (the only good cover), and four covers that are either complete trash or were just introduced (so good luck having them maxed)

I'm still staring at a 2-green punisher and 3 green/1 black hulk.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Gallow posted:

Has anyone been able to beat that 2k Heroic Mission with Daken and the two goons without boosts? My mission has them all over level 170 and they wipe me no matter who I throw at them. It's that drat Lieutenant constantly healing while the other random attacks are hitting for 1-2k. I guess I'm hosed.

I can't even get past the Ares/Daken/Ragnarok teamup. That mission has me stonewalled. The fact that Modern Storm is one of the only characters I can use doesn't help. I'm kinda sad since I was so close to getting into the top 100, but 135# isn't such a bad spot and I need more Classic Storms anyway.

So, what exactly is Round 2 going to be like, going by previous events? Same thing but with different enemy lineups/levels?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

death .cab for qt posted:

It's just lovely. They could have boosted heroes instead, or they could have made it so only certain heroes (and their variants) could be used, but the current list is just crappy. It's not even stupid hard missions, it's "you're going to lose because we aren't letting use your good characters, welp cya"

Guarantee that heroic mode venom is going to be just as bad, probably locking you down to Gray Black Widow, Spider-Man (the only good cover), and four covers that are either complete trash or were just introduced (so good luck having them maxed)
Yeah, the fact that you can't even use funb-Thor, unboosted, is a huge flashing "pay us" sign. Like with the Magneto events it made sense because it was the hero cover vs the villain-lightning-rounds one, but this is just: get the better version or don't bother. And the Mags event at least boosted other people.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm doing fairly well with the IM40 I've farmed up over the last few events. He hits like a truck after a couple turns, Thor is just around to tank damage in the meantime, and storm helps farm AP and clears up the board.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah, the fact that you can't even use funb-Thor, unboosted, is a huge flashing "pay us" sign. Like with the Magneto events it made sense because it was the hero cover vs the villain-lightning-rounds one, but this is just: get the better version or don't bother. And the Mags event at least boosted other people.

THATS why this is so difficult. Nobody is boosted! I was trying to figure out what was different.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could actually afford the covers. Their entire cover-earning system is lame, but their entire game is propped up around it. It sucks.

It just goes to show how unfun this game is when you can't actually compete. PVE is when you're supposed to be able to get a bunch of ISO, boost some characters, and beat up dudes. This whole rotating-storylines thing is garbage. At minimum, you need more covers for participating. Or at the very least, shouldn't get the common covers from their gambling packs. Getting Modern Hawkeye is just a slap in the face

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
Looks like I stopped paying attention to the thread for a few days and missed all of the alliance joining. Do any of the larger alliances still have room? I'll willing to buy the next slot after mine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Two characters I firmly believe in are Iron Man Model 40, because he's a good overall character and very rarely locked out of events, and Modern Widow because she has the best stun bar Spider-Man Classic and is a 1-star so gets into all the PvE events he's not allowed into. I briefly took #1 in my bracket just with IM40/M Storm/M Widow and only lost it because I don't have an M Thor so I instantly fell behind everyone who could do that once they got up in the morning.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Verno5x posted:

Looks like I stopped paying attention to the thread for a few days and missed all of the alliance joining. Do any of the larger alliances still have room? I'll willing to buy the next slot after mine.

There is one free open slot in AgentsOfGOON! To qualify for this coveted spot, you must make a piece of MPQ fan art! The best, most terrible art wins, as judged by your fellow forums members. Which could have been reasoned out if you had read the last page or so.

Where's my huge-breasted Storms?! Wolverine with dick-claws? Get to work!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ghostlight posted:

Two characters I firmly believe in are Iron Man Model 40, because he's a good overall character and very rarely locked out of events, and Modern Widow because she has the best stun bar Spider-Man Classic and is a 1-star so gets into all the PvE events he's not allowed into. I briefly took #1 in my bracket just with IM40/M Storm/M Widow and only lost it because I don't have an M Thor so I instantly fell behind everyone who could do that once they got up in the morning.

The one star characters are all really good, with the sole exception of Yelena (who I've been meaning to experiment with against Daken/Patch/etc, but I'm not justifying buying a character slot on a harebrained experiment. Two-Star characters feel like a wasteland because of how much better OBW/Wolverine/Thor are than everyone else (Even post nerfs to the latter two). Three stars generally feel good with a couple exceptions.

EDIT
I take back what I said about 2 stars. I forgot Ares and Classic Storm. Also Daken is arguably the current best non OBW/Spider-man character in the game. Moonstone and Bullseye are competent. Captain America is my highest level dude... just... don't listen to me. I haven't been sleeping well lately.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What did all that grinding toward my final event reward net me?

I'm in 277th place with 16.5k

Go gently caress yourself, D3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

death .cab for qt posted:

What did all that grinding toward my final event reward net me?

I'm in 277th place with 16.5k

Go gently caress yourself, D3

I feel your pain, I got Modern Hawkeye.

I feel like I get way more Modern Hawkeye and Juggernaut covers than anything else, depending on what kind of token I'm using.