Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

France is homogeneous outside of the cities in the sense that no one lives there.

I'm surprised that so many muslim countries aren't recognizing Kosovo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

France is homogeneous outside of the cities in the sense that no one lives there.

I'm surprised that so many muslim countries aren't recognizing Kosovo.

The ones that do are the ones that are diplomatically closest with the US. Mostly.

I find it hilarious that Somalia is marked in green, when it has two autonomous areas that are not under government control at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Farecoal posted:

Oh whoops, I was color blind (although to be fair those English areas and Bosnia are very different shades of gray), replace Bosnia with Darkest Macedonia then

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is there. I thought it might just be a trick of the surrounding colors, but no, they are indeed very different shades.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ahaha I've never noticed Kebab World on that before. REMOVE KEBAB remove kebab

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Count Roland posted:

The ones that do are the ones that are diplomatically closest with the US. Mostly.

I find it hilarious that Somalia is marked in green, when it has two autonomous areas that are not under government control at all.

Somalia has a government?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Somalia has a government?

They have an officially recognized government that is in control of a single Mogadishu neighborhood. I'm barely exaggerating.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

They have an officially recognized government that is in control of a single Mogadishu neighborhood. I'm barely exaggerating.

Yeah. In the past year there's been a big push in the press talking about how things in Somalia Mogadishu have been improving (like street lights!), but I see little evidence of it. There were elections in the city a little while ago, with votes being bought openly. There is little security anywhere; African Union troops (mostly from Somalia's long-time nemesis Ethiopia, who invaded a few years ago) keep some areas under control, al-Shabab and other groups control the countryside to varying degrees. The conflict regularly spills into Ethiopia and Northern Kenya, which has been kit by multiple bombings.

The government only survives with outside support and weapons. The US has been doing most of this (with cash or actual weapons shipments). So what little government they have is probably going to side with the US in abstract international policy that nobody in Somalia would care about anyway.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
To call Somalia a clusterfuck is an understatement:

Anyone know what's up with the Russian flag near the bottom?

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!

Spazzle posted:

If the past week in D&D has taught us anything, it's that a hyperlocal Europe would consist of microstates based around historically protected food production cartels.

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Warboss Scrotumchoppa's Windsor Apples: Red ones taste betta!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

HorseRenoir posted:

i'm sure I watched some random travel documentary series about unrecognised countries a few years ago that had a section about Somaliland and it made it look like a really quite peaceful place; when compared to the rest of Somalia. Dunno how right it was though...

Going back to the Kosovo thing; the new Serbian government's wish to get in the EU might be quite hard because pretty much everyone recognises Kosovo as independent (the only one's that don't are Spain (Catalunya/Basque Country); Slovakia, Greece and Romania). Just goes to show that lots of these things end up very complicated in Europe...

Scipio Africanus posted:

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE...

it'd be a drink cartel in Scotland, pal

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Topically, their Ukrainian borders are... uh, interesting. Why is the Crimean border south of the isthmus of Perekop?

A few districts in northern Crimea have a Ukrainian plurality.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

IceAgeComing posted:

i'm sure I watched some random travel documentary series about unrecognised countries a few years ago that had a section about Somaliland and it made it look like a really quite peaceful place; when compared to the rest of Somalia. Dunno how right it was though...

It's decently right. Somaliland is relatively peaceful and has even held elections.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dusseldorf posted:

France loves centralization.

Apparently so many people live in Paris (and drive there) that they're doing the Beijing thing of banning certain license plate numbers to control smog.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of countries breaking away, remember how disputed Kosovo was when it left Serbia? Russia was very much opposed. More countries support it now:

Why hasn't Spain recognized it?

Shbobdb posted:

Glass is going to come back in a big way! From there, all Venice has to do is trade Antioch and Constantinople for religious artifacts and the economy will become self-sustaining in no time.

Woah, blast from the past.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hogge Wild posted:

Why hasn't Spain recognized it?

Because then the Basque Country would start to get ideas and we can't have that, can we?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Hogge Wild posted:

Why hasn't Spain recognized
Spain has many, many separatist movements.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Ah, of course. I understand that Greece and Cyprus haven't recognized it, because they are Orthodox countries, but why has Bulgaria recognized it, but not Romania or Slovakia?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't know about Slovakia, but Greece, Cyprus and Romania also have concerns with legitimizing separatism. For Greece and Cyprus, its Northern Cyprus. For Romania, it's Székely Land.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 18, 2014

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Here's an overview of separatism in Slovakia, Spain, Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, and Romania.
Apparently both Slovakia and Romania are on bad terms with Hungarians.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Everyone's on bad terms with Hungarians. Hell, even Hungarians are on bad terms with other Hungarians.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Mikl posted:

What the poo poo? I actually live here, and this is the first I've heard of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10698299/Venice-prepares-for-referendum-on-secession-from-Italy.html

I guess that's why they made it a week long. News travels slowly through canals?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Amused to Death posted:

It's decently right. Somaliland is relatively peaceful and has even held elections.

I thought that was the case; but you never quite quite know because the BBC never really cover the region.

Here it is: its a little old now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRET1fHLWdE. Its part of an old BBC series where the host goes to unrecognised countries (Transnistria, South Ossetia, Taiwan/ROC + Nagorno Karabakh). I enjoyed them; so if you have time I'd check them out!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I actually looked this thing up. There is absolutely nothing official about it. It's not even being done by local politicians, it's just a bunch of people who set up "polling stations" in places like pubs and cafes and whatnot, and said "Hey, come vote for independence."

To make a comparison, it's as if a buncha rednecks in the middle of the Deep South US gathered at the local watering hole, one of them said "Hey, I say we secede from the US! Anyone in favour?", a couple people said "Aye," and he said "Ok, two ayes and no nays, we're now officially independent."

Except that situation is actually more likely to end "well", because Italy's not even a federal republic and article 5 of the constitution specifically prohibits any part of the nation to secede from it. This is going to be really fun to watch, like a slow-motion trainwreck.

Also, from that article:

quote:

They acknowledge that the vote is not binding on the national government in Rome and could cause a massive constitutional upheaval, but insist that if it passes, they will start taking steps to withhold taxes, in what would effectively be a unilateral declaration of independence.

"If there is a majority yes vote, we have scholars drawing up a declaration of independence and there are businesses in the region who say they will begin paying taxes to local authorities instead of to Rome," Lodovico Pizzati, the spokesman for the independence movement, told The Telegraph.

:jerkbag:

While I totally do support paying taxes locally rather than centrally (it's one of the reasons each election year I'm tempted to vote Lega Nord before reminding myself they're otherwise completely terrible), everything else they're proposing is an absolutely awful idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"they will start taking steps to withhold taxes, in what would effectively be a unilateral declaration of independence."

So they are basically sovereign citizens with a polling box.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

"they will start taking steps to withhold taxes, in what would effectively be a unilateral declaration of independence."

No, they are serene sovereign citizens.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:lol: people thinking Italians pay taxes.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost
I thought Lega Nord wants to secede with the whole northern part of Italy (i.e. the so-called Padania). Since when are they only interested in Venetia?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Watch this video of the evolution of European borders over the last 1000 years. I have no idea how accurate it is with all the details but it must've been taken such a long time to put this together.

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Riso posted:

:lol: people thinking Italians pay taxes.

(Almost) everyone in the northern regions does, while (almost) everyone in the southern regions doesn't (or, if they do, they pay the minimum amount they can possibly get away with). That's why a lot of northeners have a bone to pick with the Roman administration, which is seen as too "south-centric".

gipskrampf posted:

I thought Lega Nord wants to secede with the whole northern part of Italy (i.e. the so-called Padania). Since when are they only interested in Venetia?

These guys aren't affiliated with Lega Nord (though they probably are Lega Nord voters), they're just Venetian Revanchists looking wistfully back on the "good old days".

Or, as steinrokkan so eloquentely put it,

steinrokkan posted:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

So this North Italian perspective on rest of Europe is largely accurate.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Totally want to move to the Pirate State of Napoli.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

So this North Italian perspective on rest of Europe is largely accurate.

Pretty much.

Have a map!

Made it myself from a blank map of Italy and Photoshop.

It's a map of taxes due to the state that were not paid, i.e. tax evasion, from 2006 data (source). More green = more taxes paid, more red = less taxes paid.
Best is Lombardia (top centre) with 87,5% of taxes paid, worst is Calabria (the toe of the boot) with 15% of taxes paid.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Obviously there's issues with corruption and culture, but maybe if southern italy wasn't so poor compared to the north they'd be more inclined to pay their taxes? A lot of this feels like maps americans make showing that black neighbourhoods are all welfare sucking parasites. I'm guessing there's some pretty awful and systemic problems within southern Italy that keep it poor and corrupt? Would the north saying FYGM and kicking them off to float over to africa help? I mean it would obviously help make the rich north richer, I guess that's the point and is always the point of rich areas wanting to separate them selves from poor ones.

Why not use the wealth of the north to bring the south up to northern levels of development and tax-paying?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

Why not use the wealth of the north to bring the south up to northern levels of development and tax-paying?

Because no one has ever done that? Money tends to concentrate.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Peanut President posted:

Because no one has ever done that? Money tends to concentrate.

Western Germany massively subsides the east, pretty sure it's actually written into law to do that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In most places of the world urban areas basically pay for the rural areas.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Metrication posted:

Western Germany massively subsides the east, pretty sure it's actually written into law to do that.

Actually the two, three states in the south finance the rest of the country these days.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Riso posted:

Actually the two, three states in the south finance the rest of the country these days.

Which is of course simply not true, they only finance one special fund. And I find it especially ironic that the agrarian Bavaria was heavily subsidized by the north/west, and tried to get firms to relocate there with special tax brakes, while also saying:"Booohooo, we are so poor and agrarian, surely you won't object to a tiny, tiny part of your industry relocating here?!?" And now that they must pay for other, poorer states, they get pissy. And Bavaria especially wields outsize power in the federal government and is directing a big part of the federal money to their state, but nobody mentions that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HorseRenoir posted:

This is two years out of date, but here's a video using those Wikipedia maps to show how land's changed hands in Somalia over the years.

http://vimeo.com/42594793