Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm sure this comes up every 3 pages, but how is the game now compared to early releases? I played the gently caress out of this game for a few weeks then decided to wait on more content/poo poo to do. Is now a good time to fire it back up?

It still isn't a structured game at this point. There's no clear avenues of progression beyond the stuff that was in place months ago, so if your idea of good times isn't just flying around and finding rare drops on new planets or building elaborate bases, you'll want to wait a while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

doggiebiscuit posted:

It still isn't a structured game at this point. There's no clear avenues of progression beyond the stuff that was in place months ago, so if your idea of good times isn't just flying around and finding rare drops on new planets or building elaborate bases, you'll want to wait a while longer.

Is there enough new stuff to find that it's worth playing again though? I don't mind flying around and seeing weird poo poo, I just exhausted everything the game had back then

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

MrTheDevious posted:

Is there enough new stuff to find that it's worth playing again though? I don't mind flying around and seeing weird poo poo, I just exhausted everything the game had back then

Nope. There hasn't been any new "content" added except weather and biomes really added. I'd wait until at least they throw in the quest system before jumping back in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish there was more of a point to the various dungeons. There's not really much loot to be found, and there doesn't seem to be any like... ultimate item to find inside the dungeon. I always have an initial "oh sweet!" when I come across one but then as I'm fighting NPC after NPC I'm like oh yeah bleh and just leave. The human prisons are the worst for this I think. They all just feel like a waste of time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Macaluso posted:

I wish there was more of a point to the various dungeons. There's not really much loot to be found, and there doesn't seem to be any like... ultimate item to find inside the dungeon. I always have an initial "oh sweet!" when I come across one but then as I'm fighting NPC after NPC I'm like oh yeah bleh and just leave. The human prisons are the worst for this I think. They all just feel like a waste of time.

Sounds like the best part of Dungeons is still looting their materials for cosmetic reasons (Let's line our homeworld base with piles of free tesla spikes and barbed wire!). Even those rare matter block devices don't seem to have much of a point at this current stage of development. Since the only thing Matter Blocks do right now is craft armor that is better than Steel, but not as good as Titanium (a little tougher, but half the energy and no warmth).

At least Human Prisons tend to have a decent chunk of Stimulant drops.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

IAmTheRad posted:

Nope. There hasn't been any new "content" added except weather and biomes really added. I'd wait until at least they throw in the quest system before jumping back in.

Roger, will do, thanks!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The worst dungeon has always been the sewer dungeon. Fighting hordes of anime poo and robot spiders and pools of poison for NOT A SINGLE DROP OR CHEST, just some pipes, unique bricks and, of course, some poo for your fortress.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Poop is it's own reward

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
More gifs (thanks Gooncam!) covering the rest of the weapons in Tier 9!

edit: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-peglaci.1768/ Oh also I released it which I ought to have mentioned earlier.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 17, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
That last one looks like a giant lobster claw.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Lobsterpillar posted:

That last one looks like a giant lobster claw.

At that point I was running out of weapon designs that looked fun and figured "eh gently caress it if it doesn't make a lot of sense it looks neat"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

These are the sort of guns the base game needs. :hellyeah:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What are the practical applications of this gun? :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jackard posted:

Depends on if the projectiles stick to enemies or not.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Jackard posted:

Landmines! Or, for secondary fire, blowing poo poo up huge.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

They're Crash Bombs, of course you use them to blow up specific walls in dungeons to gain access to health-restoring items or a boss.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

They're proximity triggered, plus a timer? That's cool!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

diarmuidqq posted:

They're proximity triggered, plus a timer? That's cool!

Not quite prox triggered, unfortunately - have to get into scripting for that and I'm trying to keep them pretty simple. Basically, if a monster/npc touches the sprite hitbox, it'll go off. So very very close proximity, I guess?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

dog kisser posted:

Not quite prox triggered, unfortunately - have to get into scripting for that and I'm trying to keep them pretty simple. Basically, if a monster/npc touches the sprite hitbox, it'll go off. So very very close proximity, I guess?
That's still proximity. All these guns look pretty loving amazing, I can't wait to start ripping poo poo up. :black101:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Yeah, you can totally call that a proximity trigger. It's basically a landmine and sounds awesome. Nice work!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

How'd you do the aiming line on the alt fire for that?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

How'd you do the aiming line on the alt fire for that?

The hackiest goofiest way - made each frame really wide and just drew in a line and gave it transparency. :v: No scripting or anything fancy.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Modding is what makes this game loving amazing, and we're not even beyond the first stage of beta.
Imagine the (2-dimensional) possibilities! :science:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dog kisser posted:

The hackiest goofiest way - made each frame really wide and just drew in a line and gave it transparency. :v: No scripting or anything fancy.

That's pretty ingenious actually.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So possibly another stupid question, are there Human or Hyltoyl villages to find in the current version? I've never seen any, so I'm cusrious as to what they might look like. My current goal is to make a small multi-race village on some planet, so knowing what Hyltoyl or human settlements look like (and being able to take some apart and put 'em back together later) would be nice.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ashsaber posted:

So possibly another stupid question, are there Human or Hyltoyl villages to find in the current version? I've never seen any, so I'm cusrious as to what they might look like. My current goal is to make a small multi-race village on some planet, so knowing what Hyltoyl or human settlements look like (and being able to take some apart and put 'em back together later) would be nice.

Hylotl won't have proper settlements until seas are added to the game, unfortunately.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Alright, Gooncam is pretty decent.

Two evolutions of the Icethrower:

Blizzard launches a frozen cloud that hangs in the air, slowing and freezing people who walk through it.

Avalauncher fires a whole bunch of cold poo poo in a narrower cone, further. Icicles stick to surfaces, too.

(Also I swapped from Blizzard to Avalauncher in the middle of the first gif. Oops.)

This is amazing. Like something out of a Ratchet and Clank game. I wish all the weapons in Starbound were this stylish and creative.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

AHungryRobot posted:

This is amazing. Like something out of a Ratchet and Clank game. I wish all the weapons in Starbound were this stylish and creative.

Welp that's the highest compliment ever, thank you. Ratchet and Clank is amazing (and in hindsight I REALLY ought to have cribbed ideas off of them instead of just inventing some random ones, d'oh.)

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

I was inspired enough by the ice guns to make a lovely little flamethrower for my chemistry mod! :woop:
I might do an upgradey thing similar to the Peglaci guns, to be honest it sounds fun as all hell.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

dog kisser posted:

Welp that's the highest compliment ever, thank you. Ratchet and Clank is amazing (and in hindsight I REALLY ought to have cribbed ideas off of them instead of just inventing some random ones, d'oh.)

What is stopping you from adding other ideas to the mix? I love your stuff so far also.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How high up is the orbit/space/whatever biome with the asteroids and what kind of preparations do you need for it? I went up pretty high and the sky got like half dark with stars and everything but I don't think I was even close still. And the flying mobs! :argh:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I Said No posted:

I was inspired enough by the ice guns to make a lovely little flamethrower for my chemistry mod! :woop:
I might do an upgradey thing similar to the Peglaci guns, to be honest it sounds fun as all hell.

Excellent! Have the projectile gib into molotov fire and it'll leave a trail of fire, too! Also, if you want to look at/cannibalize/use outright any of my code or assets go ahead.

Lallander posted:

What is stopping you from adding other ideas to the mix? I love your stuff so far also.

Mostly that I want to work on other stuff other than guns - after tier 10 guns (just straight damage upgrades/new sprites for each type of gun in previous tiers (15 new guns?)), I'm moving on to village stuff (which I think I will have more trouble with because I have spent basically no time BUILDING anything in game).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Macaluso posted:

How high up is the orbit/space/whatever biome with the asteroids and what kind of preparations do you need for it? I went up pretty high and the sky got like half dark with stars and everything but I don't think I was even close still. And the flying mobs! :argh:

You need a bunch of campfires/nanostoves to provide heat, but you don't need air. That is, if you're talking about the one you get on planets. There is a point where your temperature starts dropping very quickly, at this point you need to start setting out warm spots.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

dog kisser posted:

Awesome stuff

I know you've heard it before, but man that is some really, really high quality work. Hope you are getting the recognition you deserve. Did you post your race on the official mod database thingie? If so, post a link so I can go rate you up!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I was having huge issues with lag, but it turned out to be because of the Persistent Farmables mod. Has anyone noticed it actually getting worse recently?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Exactly how similar to Terraria is this? I saw the Giant Bomb quick look and I think I'm going to end up beating Terraria in a little less than 5 days from picking it up to the first time to the end of hard mode. I like exploring more than building, so the new environments/different races has me excited.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

Exactly how similar to Terraria is this? I saw the Giant Bomb quick look and I think I'm going to end up beating Terraria in a little less than 5 days from picking it up to the first time to the end of hard mode. I like exploring more than building, so the new environments/different races has me excited.

In terms of basics it's fairly similar. I didn't play Terraria a whole bunch, but I feel like this game is much more open in terms of exploration and all that. There's just a huge amount of content you can access on a single character with the different planets and stuff. That said, the progression in beta isn't done yet, so if you aren't just exploring for shits and giggles, there isn't a huge amount of direction.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

bobtheconqueror posted:

In terms of basics it's fairly similar. I didn't play Terraria a whole bunch, but I feel like this game is much more open in terms of exploration and all that. There's just a huge amount of content you can access on a single character with the different planets and stuff. That said, the progression in beta isn't done yet, so if you aren't just exploring for shits and giggles, there isn't a huge amount of direction.
I just like going underground and exploring. I was a huge fan of playing Minecraft until whatever update had Chasms which made mining pretty much irrelevant since you could find almost everything you would ever need in one chasm.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flameingblack posted:

I just like going underground and exploring. I was a huge fan of playing Minecraft until whatever update had Chasms which made mining pretty much irrelevant since you could find almost everything you would ever need in one chasm.

Mining in this is less of a pain than it is in Terraria, but yeah, not everything is implemented yet. Chances are if you like those aspects of the game you'll get some enjoyment out of this. If nothing else it wouldn't hurt to wait given that it's still being fleshed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

USMC_Karl posted:

I know you've heard it before, but man that is some really, really high quality work. Hope you are getting the recognition you deserve. Did you post your race on the official mod database thingie? If so, post a link so I can go rate you up!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-peglaci.1768/

There ya go!

edit: Got bored of guns for the moment so I'm trying my hand at tile design!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 18, 2014

• Locked thread