Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Avengers shipped more often than New Avengers, so you can't really do an even switch, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

bobkatt013 posted:

How would you do it? New Avengers 1-3, then Avengers 1 on with New until Infinity?

Would love to hear the answer, because I'm going to bind it, too, but haven't decided on order yet.

Also been working on ordering Bendis' Avengers run, also including Secret Wars, The Pulse, Spider-Woman, Illuminati and more. I usually try to stick to alternating storylines, but it's getting increasingly more difficult as New/Mighty/Dark Avengers weave together more and more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If someone really, really love The Maxx (I only really love it).
http://samkieth.blogspot.com/2014/03/he-maxx-vol-1-limited-edition-book.html

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Uthor posted:

If someone really, really love The Maxx (I only really love it).
http://samkieth.blogspot.com/2014/03/he-maxx-vol-1-limited-edition-book.html

drat I had just finished collecting the run in various trades and single issues to get bound. Same thing just happened to me with Planetary. I buy reader copies and former library books so re selling isn't really worth it. I bought the Planetary Omni pretty cheap (about the same cost as binding it) and gave the floppies to my friend for his birthday

The Maxx looks like it is getting eight absolute style re releases. Kinda bums me out they are only gonna be five issues each. This means I will probably go ahead with my bind since I imagine those books will be at least $25 - $30 each and I think I can bind the set in two volumes for $50. I bought the first ish to compare the new colors and I don't think it really adds anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I like The Maxx, but I'm fine with the six tpbs (plus the first 6-7 floppies somewhere). I would have liked a Planetary Absolute, but not enough to deal with flipping those tpbs, either.

I don't think I belong in this thread anymore; I've been pretty much fine with trades most of the time these days (though I'm pissed I started buying the Waid Daredevil tpbs a week before the hardcover got announced; it would have gone well with my Bendis OSHCs).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I like The Maxx, but I'm fine with the six tpbs (plus the first 6-7 floppies somewhere). I would have liked a Planetary Absolute, but not enough to deal with flipping those tpbs, either.

I don't think I belong in this thread anymore; I've been pretty much fine with trades most of the time these days (though I'm pissed I started buying the Waid Daredevil tpbs a week before the hardcover got announced; it would have gone well with my Bendis OSHCs).

There was anAbsolute Planetary but the first volume goes for a bit of change on EBay. I owned it for a minute but had to sell it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I don't think I belong in this thread anymore; I've been pretty much fine with trades most of the time these days
No don't go! Trades are to be happily discussed and fawned over just as much here.

I'm also not swapping my Maxx trades out, either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

redbackground posted:

No don't go!

It was just hyperbole. I like checking out the nice collections out there and bitching over Ikea shelves!

Just my "gotta get the hardcover!" days are over, I think. There's a few things I'm still going to get (Powers, the next Hickman FF, if they ever put out a Greg Rucka Punisher collection), there a few series I'm buying in TPB, and the rest I pick up through comiXology sales because my reading list is too long and I can wait.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
These arrived today!

(interior photos and more info here)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 10, 2014

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

redbackground posted:

These arrived today!

How is the gutter loss on something the size of that Punisher 2099 volume?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

How is the gutter loss on something the size of that Punisher 2099 volume?
Not bad at all. In fact, for this book, there's almost none--during this era of comics, there was almost always a nice margin of white space around the entire page.

Here's a shot from the middle of the book:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 10, 2014

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, that looks pretty fantastic. Since the binds I've done so far are mostly material from 2000+ I've gone with hand-sewn. It'll be nice when I get around to some older stuff I want to do so I can go with the cheaper, non-hand-sewn binding and more issues per volume.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 10, 2014

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Showing off my new books:

At 42 issues, Rising Stars will probably end up being the largest book I'll bind.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
You know I think it would be cool to get some 2000AD Prog's custom bound but I'd prefer to do it for a specific run of stories per character, so say a run of a Dredd story. Problem is, they're typically 3 pages worth at a time with one side of the last page being the end of the part and the next being the beginning of a totally unrelated character/story.

Every 3rd page would have an awkward single side that has unrelated art on it.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Thanks to an overdue refund cheque from the electicity company I've finally got to grips with my backlog. I think I've made a lifelong enemy of my postie though, all these arrived in the last 3 or 4 days.

Still got the recent Kirby Inhumans trade and the latest Lucifer on the way too.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Would anyone happen to know if there's ever going to be a volume 2 of The Definitive Irredeemable? Tried contacting Boom! Studios and not heard anything back. Did it not sell well enough to warrant a second collection?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Shameless posted:

Thanks to an overdue refund cheque from the electicity company I've finally got to grips with my backlog. I think I've made a lifelong enemy of my postie though, all these arrived in the last 3 or 4 days.

Still got the recent Kirby Inhumans trade and the latest Lucifer on the way too.

Nice haul! Let me know how multiple warheads is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Found this beautiful big boy today--I'm very excited as outside of Born Again, I've never actually read Miller's earlier DD run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Found this beautiful big boy today--I'm very excited as outside of Born Again, I've never actually read Miller's earlier DD run.

That new edition looks better than mine.

drat it.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

redbackground posted:

You're in for a treat. If you want to get right to the good stuff, you can safely skip the first few issues until Miller starts writing - but everything after that forms a really wonderful, consistent story.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Indie Rocktopus posted:

You're in for a treat. If you want to get right to the good stuff, you can safely skip the first few issues until Miller starts writing - but everything after that forms a really wonderful, consistent story.

Its a great read. That last issue, jesus christ.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Veg posted:

Its a great read. That last issue, jesus christ.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to diving in. I've seen the Visionaries trades for a long time but could never bring myself to pull the trigger with them--Maybe it's because of Elektra's Man Claw on that one cover, I don't know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So if you ever walk into a comic shop and pick up this book

And then come up to the counter and do this

Don't be surprised when the clerk loving snaps. Good thing I'm already looking for a new job.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Don't be surprised when the clerk loving snaps. Good thing I'm already looking for a new job.

What about walking up to them and talking about how Byrne is a genius and everything he touches and says is gold?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Well, there are serious discussions to be held upon how and when the timelines diverge and

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

What about walking up to them and talking about how Byrne is a genius and everything he touches and says is gold?

That gets you slapped.

redbackground posted:

Well, there are serious discussions to be held upon how and when the timelines diverge and

You're a terrible person.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Big list of DC books for late 2014, early 2015.

http://comicsbeat.com/new-titles-from-dc-comics-fall-2014-and-spring-2015

Lot of crap, as to be expected but Absolute Batman Inc stands out. A relief to see second volumes for Grell's Green Arrow and Ostrander's Martian Manhunter and Spectre too. Of course, lots of time for them to be cancelled before release.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 14, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

You weren't foolin'!

Nice to see those Gordon minis finally getting collected, even if it took the upcoming tv show to make it happen.

Also: another year, another edition of JLA: Earth 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some things I picked out that seem interesting:

1. I wonder if they've made a mistake with that LSH "The Curse" listing. The description looks like it's from Levitz's more recent return to the title, but based on the other information I assume it's a paperback release of the deluxe hardcover from a couple of years back.

2. I'm trying to imagine what size that JSA Vol. 2 omnibus is going to be. 1312 pages (and 50+ issues!) sure sounds like an awful lot of material. :stare:

3. Looks like they're re-releasing the New Teen Titans as well, in trade format this time. They kinda dropped the ball with those omniboo so hopefully they'll have better luck this time.

4. If the "Superman: The Power Within" trade mentioned about three quarters of the way down is any indication, it could mean that after the next Man of Steel TPB they'll start collecting Stern's ten-year run.

5. Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus was basically inevitable. I wonder if there'll be any companion collections for Gibbons and Tomasi's corresponding work on GLC, since the early trades are hard to get and the two series are so closely linked.

All in all, it looks like a pretty promising list. One thing I think Marvel's had over DC for a while is that they're generally better with getting their stuff collected (especially their classic stuff). Hopefully DC will catch up. There's a lot of older stuff they've done that I'm keen to read.

Does Marvel often do great big lists like this or is this an oddity even for DC?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 14, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

quote:

Nightwing Vol. 1: Bludhaven
Dennis O’Neil, Greg Land, Scott McDaniel
On Sale Date: December 9, 2014
$19.99 USD / $23.99 CAD
288 pages Paperback / softback / Trade paperback (US)
Comics & Graphic Novels / Superheroes
9781401251444, 1401251447
Summary: Dennis O’Neil introduces Dick Grayson’s brand new costume and career in Nightwing’s first solo series!
Nightwing flies solo as Dick Grayson uncovers new facts about the murder of his parents-evidence suggesting there was far more to their deaths than he ever suspected. But shadowy forces have strong reasons for keeping the truth buried and send assassins to silence him forever.
Collecting NIGHTWING #1-4, NIGHTWING #1-8.
unfffffffff

What's that McDuffie Batman: Blink story like?

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Shameless posted:

http://comicsbeat.com/new-titles-from-dc-comics-fall-2014-and-spring-2015

Lot of crap, as to be expected but Absolute Batman Inc stands out. A relief to see second volumes for Grell's Green Arrow and Ostrander's Martian Manhunter and Spectre too. Of course, lots of time for them to be cancelled before release.

As happy as I am for Absolute Batman Inc, they'd better put out Absolute Batman RIP so that I can have the entire run in ridiculously large form.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

motherbox posted:

As happy as I am for Absolute Batman Inc, they'd better put out Absolute Batman RIP so that I can have the entire run in ridiculously large form.

Except for Return of Bruce Wayne, right? As that's not scheduled right now, is it? And it'll be a $75 absolute for 6 issues because of course it will DC, of course it will.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

bairfanx posted:

Except for Return of Bruce Wayne, right? As that's not scheduled right now, is it? And it'll be a $75 absolute for 6 issues because of course it will DC, of course it will.

Isn't that included in Absolute Batman and Robin? Because if not, that makes the last 2-3 issues of that series make no sense...

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Shawn posted:

Isn't that included in Absolute Batman and Robin? Because if not, that makes the last 2-3 issues of that series make no sense...

Nope. My hope was it would be a a part of a hypothetical Absolute RIP (Absolute Death and Return of Batman?), but it doesn't matter because there's no way we'll ever get RIP before Absolute Court of Owls or Absolute Death of the Family.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Just gonna wait till they put out a Batman by Grant Morrison omni then I'm not going to buy that because the way DC makes omnis is terrible.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Are the Return one-shot or issue 700 collected in any Absolutes?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

Are the Return one-shot or issue 700 collected in any Absolutes?
Nobody uses comicbookdb :(

700 has not, but The Return is in the Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn, so enjoy that supersized David Finch art :barf:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 18, 2014

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

redbackground posted:

700 has not, but The Return is in the Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn, so enjoy that supersized David Finch art :barf:

Never even knew it existed. Cheers for the info though. I wasn't asking because I wanted to buy any of them, it was just curiosity. I'm quite happy with my mish-mash of deluxe and regular HCs for my G-Mo Batman stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

Never even knew it existed. Cheers for the info though. I wasn't asking because I wanted to buy any of them, it was just curiosity. I'm quite happy with my mish-mash of deluxe and regular HCs for my G-Mo Batman stuff.
Yeah, I am too. I still need to pick up the Son of/Black Glove OSHC, but once I do that, I'm not upgrading anything else. I have held out on buying the current Inc. hardcovers because I'm not supporting the stupid decision to keep them regular sized. If a Deluxe version comes out of those, I'll get it then.

(also, visit the OP for other handy links like comicbookdb!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

I used it for all my comic book writers quizzes on Sporcle. :shobon: