Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 28, 1926)

Peanuts (March 21, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean's dad fell in with a baaaaaad crowd of octogenarians.

Popeye is going to go through an identity crisis.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (March 20, 1956)

Out Our Way (August 18-19, 1924)

The details sneak up on you with this one, since having a cylinder phonograph in 1924 is teetering on the edge of having a VCR now.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Trickjaw posted:

Exactly where my mind went first.

Well now, that's new... I love this thread, it's taught me so much! Entertaining and informative! :v:

E:

EasyEW posted:

The details sneak up on you with this one, since having a cylinder phonograph in 1924 is teetering on the edge of having a VCR now.

This is very true. Disk records were all the rage around 1910, and they pretty quickly overtook Edison's cylinders because of their vastly (vastly meaning about 20 seconds which was huge back then) longer playing time. However, in this particular "Out Our Way's" case, they're "out west", so pickings might be pretty slim as to what kind of record player you could come up with.

Fun fact: My kid just purchased a Victrola that was actually assembled in China in the 90s. The guts are all bonafide Victrola, but the case, labeling, etc., are all new. Apparently, someone in China had a warehouse full of old Victrola parts, and reassembled a bunch of them and sold them to peasant farmers who had/could not afford anything else in the line of entertainment then. The "new" labeling is awesome. A heavily pixelated picture of the classic Nipper "His Master's Voice" logo... except that it says, probably because of Chinese Engrish, "Her Master Talk". By the way, it plays wonderfully! :v:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 18, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

This reminds me of Alan Alda in Little Miss Sunshine doing heroin. When you reach a certain age, why shouldn't you do all the poo poo that's terrible for you?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Seeing Sprocket's black eye under her sunglasses does a bit to explain why she's choosing to Thelma and Louise her way out of this confrontation. I mean, it doesn't fit with anything we've previously seen about the Nitrate's relationship that I can remember, but it's at least an explanation!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Seeing Sprocket's black eye under her sunglasses does a bit to explain why she's choosing to Thelma and Louise her way out of this confrontation. I mean, it doesn't fit with anything we've previously seen about the Nitrate's relationship that I can remember, but it's at least an explanation!

She's betting on being able to swim free of the car while Silver is weighed down by his heavy shoes.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Well now, that's new... I love this thread, it's taught me so much! Entertaining and informative! :v:
You and me both, although if the guy had been cottaging in that sense I think he would've been a good deal more relaxed and friendly.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Drakyn posted:

You and me both, although if the guy had been cottaging in that sense I think he would've been a good deal more relaxed and friendly.

I imagine it could get emotionally charged.

Momma

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nemi

Grimm! You should know better by now. Actually, I kind of like the dress. It would work well with those boots right there. :)

Is the coloring wrong in the last panel?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is the coloring wrong in the last panel?

No, he has to sleep on the couch for telling Nemi her dress is ugly.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Nipponophile posted:

She's betting on being able to swim free of the car while Silver is weighed down by his heavy shoes.

:stare: That is some hella deduction there, my friend. :10bux: says you nailed it.

We also know she dislikes the hyena, and she's pissed that his scam didn't work.

edit: who knew that one day Dick Tracy and Juliet Jones would be the comics keeping me totally riveted? I can't get over it! (Thanks for posting 'em, folks!)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 18, 2014

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

So Ed doesn't do much actual work and has a lot of spare time to waste on hobbies?

Eh, the entire productivity of the US drops by about 50% leading into the tournament.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

A tale as old as the hills.

:burger:

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Keith DuQuette presents The LeftyBosco Picture Show

Legend Of Bill is a team effort.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

I can't believe Mark Trail topped "showing up unannounced at a senator's home and getting invited to eat dinner and discuss his concerns with said senator" for absurd things that would never happen in real life.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
By this point, I'd rather see the Mis-adventures of Rick Grubber.

What I am saying is; The Phantom comic strip has really gone to poo poo. It is boring and lovely and oh my god you could drown in the smug.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 18, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

By this point, I'd rather see the Mis-adventures of Rick Grubber.

What I am saying is; The Phantom comic strip has really gone to poo poo. It is boring and lovely and oh my god you could drown in the smug.

It's weird how amazingly good the Gravelines Prison arc was, and how unbelievably bad everything since has been.

Sundays are still cool, though. Hard to believe they're all written by the same guy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Darthemed posted:

Keith DuQuette presents The LeftyBosco Picture Show

If this is all this strip is, I want it posted twice a day. Look at that horse and his Proud Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

I once had a floppy disk folded in half and jammed in my mailbox. Managed to fold it right along the aluminum, too. I'll never work out how he did it.

Ballard Street

Bitchtits already posted today's, so here's the one from Sunday.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Skipping ahead a few in Tiny Sepuku, I found a pretty cute one:

I think there's some potential av-material in there!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
New Peanuts movie coming in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpRqlRs6UM

Looks rather nice, actually.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WindyMan posted:

New Peanuts movie coming in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpRqlRs6UM

Looks rather nice, actually.

Agreed, I'm digging that style. I'm guessing its following Peabody and Sherman as an "old tv show (or in this case comic) being made into a movie".

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, the fact that it's from the studio that made Epic and the loving Rio movies and is not overly comforting, but they don't seem to be screwing it up too badly so far.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently Schultz's son is watching it like a hawk to make sure it stays true to the spirit of the original comics:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/03/17/peanuts-snoopy-charlie-brown-first-look/6273911/

Choice quote from the producer: "Snoopy will not be rapping, no one will be twerking, we're in good hands"

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Apparently Schultz's son is watching it like a hawk to make sure it stays true to the spirit of the original comics:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/03/17/peanuts-snoopy-charlie-brown-first-look/6273911/

Choice quote from the producer: "Snoopy will not be rapping, no one will be twerking, we're in good hands"

But will he be flashdancing?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

But...but...if the movie doesn't have non-stop pop-culture refrences/fart jokes and a tacked on love side-plot the kids will lose interest. :qq:
At least it won't end up like the Marmaduke movie at any rate. It still boggles my mind why the gently caress that poo poo happened.

Who the hell read Marmaduke one day, and said "Yes, this is what we're doing - get George Lopez on the phone".

Live-action Popeye is the only good comic book movie.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Huh. Never heard the term before, and I never thought the comics forum could be so informative.:themoreyouknow::eng101:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

EasyEW posted:

funky's dad is in to that medical marijuana?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

RandomFerret posted:

If this is all this strip is, I want it posted twice a day. Look at that horse and his Proud Dog Comix.
Well, here's yesterday's strip.

They're not all horses, though. The very next one was a whale flirting with an alien.

e: Oh, and it turns out that you can hire the guy to do a portrait of your pet.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

scarycave posted:

But...but...if the movie doesn't have non-stop pop-culture refrences/fart jokes and a tacked on love side-plot the kids will lose interest. :qq:

Pop-culture references and a romantic sub-plot, you say? :smuggo:

Old jungle saying!*
* Translated from the Bandar tongue!

Darthemed posted:

Well, here's yesterday's strip.

They're not all horses, though. The very next one was a whale flirting with an alien.

I like this. I like this rather a lot, in fact. :) If you don't plan on posting it regularly, I believe I will.

Johnny Hazard

Did either of them even know they'd met before?

Krazy Kat

Called it.

Classic Mandrake

Floor carpeted with white guys moaning about their fractured bones? Just another workaday afternoon in Lotharville!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

.....-----ssssssSSSSSSSTINNNKYYYYYYY! :neckbeard:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Should have titled it "Moominmamma joins the Mafia".

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I could have yes, if I were clever, and not distracted by Stinky. :v:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps continues the theme.

:drat:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh thank christ, with his broken neck in panel 3 this lovely comic must be coming to a merciful end.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Among the annoying things about this comic (IMHO) is that the Zachary guy's face seems to so often be shown as though the observer is placed just slightly lower than normal, and the focus is centered on his chin and mouth. I can't tell if it is some deliberate attempt at unsettling dystopian schtick, or just the artist's preoccupation with jawlines.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Why does this strip always come off as a bootleg Sealab 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

"Your test results came back and the ticks on that loving deer you've been keeping in your tiny apartment have given you Lyme Disease. Also, I'm wearing a nurse's cap. Nurses still wear those, right?"

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Hey, you guys are planning to flee together and that's what counts.

We skipped a day of The Amazing Spider-Man! Here's Monday's.

Definitely amazing.

Also, I kind of hate doing this, since I usually prefer to let Tiggum's posts work their magic without interference, but it kind of affects the plot, so:

Seems like May's been rescued by Spidey enough times she'd have warmed up to him a little by now.

• Locked thread