Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is precisely one reason to use java script: you're stuck in a browser, and that is what netscape gave us

all the people hacking on nodejs need to get real jobs

this is the MPAA and RIAA being scared of the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a core problem with both nodejs and actionscript/flex/air: even if you make javascript better, even if you improve the standard library or the type system, it doesn't help anything

outside your sandbox, i still have to write real js with all the lovely design choices. inside of a sandbox, why would i ever choose a dubiously "improved" js over a better tool?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

theres only like 3 browsers you actually need to target: safari, chrome, firefox. 2/3 use webkit. So theres like 2 browsers you need to deal with in your dev.

this is less fragmentation than the bullshit apple makes devs go through.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a core problem with both nodejs and actionscript/flex/air: even if you make javascript better, even if you improve the standard library or the type system, it doesn't help anything

outside your sandbox, i still have to write real js with all the lovely design choices. inside of a sandbox, why would i ever choose a dubiously "improved" js over a better tool?

if you want a real kick, you should try atom out and see how hilariously sluggish it is

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

js gets flak like every other multi paradigm open ended language. it gives you enough rope to hang yourself. it just takes better devs than hand holdy bullshit like java to do well in js, but you have much more flexibility to clearly express your ideas.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
test your site in the latest version of IE and then also IE8 and that's all you need to do. under no circumstances should you test for firefox cause theres no scenario where serving a firefox user web pages is good for you/your business.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

power botton posted:

js gets flak like every other multi paradigm open ended language. it gives you enough rope to hang yourself. it just takes better devs than hand holdy bullshit like java to do well in js, but you have much more flexibility to clearly express your ideas.

except javascript is loving ugly and unenjoyable to try and read?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ok i would like to change my previous statement:

IE11, IE8 and webkit are the only 3 browsers you need to test against

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ah yes experienced developer sulk please tell us more about what code is pleasant to read

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's no scenario where serving an IE user web pages is good for your business either, because you're a co-founder in some lovely startup and neither you nor any of your co-founders have any clue what you're doing

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

look the point is people praise apple to solving mobile fragmentation but actually web developers have adopted standards organically and actually solved fragmentation way better than a lumbering giant could

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

apple solved mobile fragmentation by making every site on the internet redirect you to some itms: URL for what is essentially opt-in malware, thus eliminating any desire to browse the web on your phone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

there's no scenario where serving an IE user web pages is good for your business either, because you're a co-founder in some lovely startup and neither you nor any of your co-founders have any clue what you're doing

this isn't anywhere close to true. clueless founders will be using chrome or failfox or slowfari cause they aren't smart enough to use IE.

if its an internal project IE8 will be the most important browser you target w/ IEs9-11 being the next most important. Then you might have to worry about some slowfari users, but you can just tell them "slowfari isn't supported" and they can deal w/ it. No one internally should be using failfox cause its full of problems and that's just extra work for you for no reason at all.

If its an external project, IE8-11 and slowfari are the most important cause that's what people who pay money for things use. failfox users will only ever pirate whatever you're doing so ignoring them or making their bad browser crash because it uses all the memory is the way to handle them.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

power botton posted:

hmm yes what a great choice for a language which runs on every browser everywhere

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Shaggar posted:

this isn't anywhere close to true. clueless founders will be using chrome or failfox or slowfari cause they aren't smart enough to use IE.

if its an internal project IE8 will be the most important browser you target w/ IEs9-11 being the next most important. Then you might have to worry about some slowfari users, but you can just tell them "slowfari isn't supported" and they can deal w/ it. No one internally should be using failfox cause its full of problems and that's just extra work for you for no reason at all.

If its an external project, IE8-11 and slowfari are the most important cause that's what people who pay money for things use. failfox users will only ever pirate whatever you're doing so ignoring them or making their bad browser crash because it uses all the memory is the way to handle them.

please come up with a clever name for chrome it's breaking my immersion

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

apple solved mobile fragmentation by making every site on the internet redirect you to some itms: URL for what is essentially opt-in malware, thus eliminating any desire to browse the web on your phone

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
javascript is almost as badly designed as php. the difference is that you can at least avoid php.

i initially thought gwt's compile-java-to-javascript schtick was incredibly gross but now i'm actually fairly convinced that it's the way forward. gwt is, like, so last tuesday though. i can never keep up with what the web dev snowflakes are crapping out this week.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

please come up with a clever name for chrome it's breaking my immersion

chrome is the clever name because they took the turd that is webkit and polished it up. its shiny but still a turd.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

chrome is the clever name because they took the turd that is webkit and polished it up. its shiny but still a turd.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

:iamafag:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

javascript is almost as badly designed as php. the difference is that you can at least avoid php.

i initially thought gwt's compile-java-to-javascript schtick was incredibly gross but now i'm actually fairly convinced that it's the way forward. gwt is, like, so last tuesday though. i can never keep up with what the web dev snowflakes are crapping out this week.

gwt has been abandoned for like 5 years. the entire premise of html "applications" was doa along w/ gwt. when people talk about web "applications" today they generally mean html w/ almost no css that gets formatted by millions of lines of horrific javascript.

but now, thanks to the ultimate in ironing, marketing of all places is big on getting rid of all that cruft and switching to css for formatting. this makes web "developers" angry cause it pretty much eliminates the need for javascript. so the right way to do things today is have your marketing guy work with a design team to figure out the markup and css and then they hand it over to you so you can stuff it full of razor and knockout and that's it. if theres browser style problems you send it off to the design guy and he tweaks the css to make it work.

its actually a really great way to do things cause if you test it in IE8 and theres functionality that doesn't work it means you are abusing javascript and you hosed up and your site is bad. obv css might be a little weird in ie8 cause it doesn't support certain things, but hacking them in w/ javascript is also wrong. just use css that makes the site look as best as possible in ie8

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 18, 2014

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ie8 supports css 2.1 so if ur css is broken it means you've been drinking too much koolaid

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

gwt has been abandoned for like 5 years. the entire premise of html "applications" was doa along w/ gwt. when people talk about web "applications" today they generally mean html w/ almost no css that gets formatted by millions of lines of horrific javascript.

but now, thanks to the ultimate in ironing, marketing of all places is big on getting rid of all that cruft and switching to css for formatting. this makes web "developers" angry cause it pretty much eliminates the need for javascript. so the right way to do things today is have your marketing guy work with a design team to figure out the markup and css and then they hand it over to you so you can stuff it full of razor and knockout and that's it. if theres browser style problems you send it off to the design guy and he tweaks the css to make it work.

its actually a really great way to do things cause if you test it in IE8 and theres functionality that doesn't work it means you are abusing javascript and you hosed up and your site is bad. obv css might be a little weird in ie8 cause it doesn't support certain things, but hacking them in w/ javascript is also wrong. just use css that makes the site look as best as possible in ie8

on what planet can marketing even spell css let alone have opinions on it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we had a recent project where ie8 worked fine but the css was a little off cause there was some css3 thing that it couldn't do that made dropdowns look slightly different or something. it was something the user would never notice unless they looked at it in both browsers which is perfectly acceptable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

on what planet can marketing even spell css let alone have opinions on it

this planet. earth.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MononcQc posted:

Why would anybody use a map function if it had to be used with only a restricted set of 'collection mapping functions'?

If you're offering to map only with a restricted set of functions only, compared to the usual 'send in any transformation that takes one argument', just provide that restricted set of functions and don't add in map at all.

The weird thing here is that Javascript's map functions somehow decided that the index of the list/array at which it is right now is passed in as a hidden second argument (which doesn't appear in functions with a single argument), but passes that value as the radix here.

The problem isn't nearly as much map's implementation as it is JS being able to add in or remove arguments to function calls without ever saying a thing, which means that a common map with a 1-argument function called with a function that has a default 2-nd argument 99% of the time suddenly gets called with a previously unexpected new 2nd argument that breaks what people thought would happen.

It's just bad design.

MononcQc posted:

No you see javascript is sane because

JavaScript code:
function add(a) {
    return a+a;
}

> add(2, 5);
> add(2,5,6,4,3)
Hmmm... OH wait!

JavaScript code:
function add(a,b) {
    if (typeof b == 'undefined') {
        b = 0;
    }
    return a+a+b;
}

> add(2,3)
> add(2)
Finally my sane semantics! You see, the argument list is just a list of arguments you don't care about. So I'm gonna put them into that 'arguments' array instead, and make that implicit to all the functions as a variable to avoid all confusion

JavaScript code:
function add() {
    return arguments;
}

> add(2)
[2]
> add(2,3)
[2,3]
Hm, yes, Javascript, what an elegant language.
bravo, good parody :golfclap:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
in EE if you just blunder ahead without verifying your assumptions you can very quickly fry the hardware, or yourself

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it;s me i fry my coworkers hardware woohoo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

in EE if you just blunder ahead without verifying your assumptions you can very quickly fry the hardware, or yourself

one time i fried a chip by getting power and ground backwards

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

one time i fried a chip by getting power and ground backwards

:rip:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
lotta whinging bout js itt

maybe it's stockholm but it doesn't drive me too crazy anymore, it's just the sandbox I have to play in because I'm making single page web apps. The fact that I can run indexedDb/webSQL on pretty much any modern browser is pretty cool, fragmentation ain't as bad as it sounds any more. Also, I'm starting to use typescript more as well so I'm getting a lot more of, if it compiles, it probably works as you expected it to. Add in contracts for all the libraries you use from DefinitelyTyped, choose better libraries, and it's not as painful an experience as it used to be.

Don't do node back ends though, you have a choice there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Maluco Marinero posted:

maybe it's stockholm

you got more stockholm than ikea

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
javascript is pretty cool once you have 5 frameworks that implement foreach their own way

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Maluco Marinero posted:

Also, I'm starting to use typescript more as well so I'm getting a lot more of, if it compiles, it probably works as you expected it to.

lol

e: this isn't a nasty lol, it just actually made me laugh

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MeruFM posted:

javascript is pretty cool once you have 5 frameworks that implement foreach their own way

Stop using libraries that clobber the prototypes then?

And the whole compile thing, was saying just like with a good static typed language you can rely on the compiler to pick up your bullshit. Having some of the es6 stuff in there is nice too, like nicer lambda syntax.

Got more Stockholm than IKEA but at least I can write a web app once and get it to lots of platforms. If I had a different language that's be great but I'm just a lowly dumbfuck web dev with lowly dumbfuck webdev problems :)

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 18, 2014

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MeruFM posted:

especially since javascript arrays already have foreach

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

seriously just use d3 and underscore and call it a day js isnt bad its just idiots overcomplicating things

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Maluco Marinero posted:

maybe it's stockholm [syndrome]

stackholm syndrome

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
javascript is flawed but still extremely popular and widespread, which makes it the perfect target for nerds who can't possibly fathom why their perfect and preferred replacement isn't as widespread

this is especially true as i am a good looking rich javascript dev and girls love me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

stackholm syndrome

I see what you did there.