Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

You're my favorite poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
From the Justice League America: Retroactive 90's #1

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That is one *metal*-looking cat. Missing an eye and non-pointy ears? That's a mutt cat that could easily gently caress up all three guys in that room.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That is one *metal*-looking cat. Missing an eye and non-pointy ears? That's a mutt cat that could easily gently caress up all three guys in that room.

That cat has defeated supervillains on multiple occasions.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That cat and those characters have a HISTORY.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bruce plans for every eventuality :smug:

Source is the latest JL8, I love Karen's expressions throughout this strip.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

Bruce plans for every eventuality :smug:

Source is the latest JL8, I love Karen's expressions throughout this strip.

the Charlie Brown-esq "are you loving kidding me" look in that little panel is just the best.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I hope it doesn't hurt Bruce too badly when he finds out Karen's not really that into him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He'll just love her all the more for giving him another excuse to brood. :)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

He'll just love her all the more for giving him another excuse to brood. :)
Flashback shows Bruce trying to do the same to Andrea, but then she said no :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

I hope it doesn't hurt Bruce too badly when he finds out Karen's not really that into him.

Batman is *always* attracted to women who aren't that into him. Let's run down the list, shall we?

Selina Kyle/Catwoman: Definitely attracted to him, but realizes there's no chance of anything long-term because beneath the cowl Bruce has serious mommy issues that make her uncomfortable.

Talia al-Ghul: Took him for a few rides, but ALSO knows he's not relationship material, plus she dumped him with their kid so she could go play "Leviathan."

Zatanna: Probably holds one of the brightest candles for Bruce, but he treats her like a little sister. She's also one of the most underestimated and powerful women in the DC universe...so long as she can speak.

Diana/Wonder Woman: Bruce is scared of her but she's probably the only woman in the entire DC universe that could (and has - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61tY7kiH8%2BL.jpg) bring him to heel. She just won't because she dates like a man: http://i.imgur.com/6HwygoO.jpg

Lois Lane: Nothing really needs to be said here - Bruce holds a candle for Lois because he's still a billionaire and she's a 'toy' he can't have.

Lady Shiva: Bruce kinda lost interest after she kicked Selina's rear end and then he found out he could kick hers. Before he found that out he practically gushed like an anime schoolgirl about her fighting prowess and lethality every time the subject of her came up.

Bruce's 'type' are women that are emotionally (and in a lot of cases, physically) stronger than him but, at their core, have no crushing *need* for him because he knows he's damaged goods. He likes 'em dangerous and aloof, which is why he doesn't apparently care that he's being used for his horses. He'll be fine.

Sources for images:
Wonder Woman: Hiketeia
Superman and Wonder Woman #4

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, c'mon, he really liked Silver St. Cloud. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sores: noospaper spidor men

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SynthOrange posted:

sores: noospaper spidor men

Totally going to try that line.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Totally going to try that line.

Got out of a speeding ticket last Friday, totally applicable, right?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

ImpAtom posted:

That cat has defeated supervillains on multiple occasions.

redbackground posted:

That cat and those characters have a HISTORY.

I need to know more about this.

Can someone expand please?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Drifter posted:

Hey, c'mon, he really liked Silver St. Cloud. :colbert:

Until Kevin Smith got a hold of her. Christ was The Widening Gyre a painful read.

Seriously - you all must suffer as I suffered: http://comicsalliance.com/worst-of-the-worst-batman-the-widening-gyre-6/

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Until Kevin Smith got a hold of her. Christ was The Widening Gyre a painful read.

Seriously - you all must suffer as I suffered: http://comicsalliance.com/worst-of-the-worst-batman-the-widening-gyre-6/

I looked up Silver St. Cloud after she was mentioned and this article was at the top of the search. I really wanna read this trainwreck now just to see how bad it gets.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 19, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sadly I'm way ahead of you there, Kevin Smith should not be allowed to write comics that was such a massive heap of hot garbage.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Puntification posted:

Sadly I'm way ahead of you there, Kevin Smith should not be allowed to write comics that was such a massive heap of hot garbage.

I would have taken away his writing license after "The Evil That Men Do", and I didn't get past the third issue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I would have taken away his writing license after "The Evil That Men Do", and I didn't get past the third issue.

He almost didn't either. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Puntification posted:

Just comics?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

KayTee posted:

I need to know more about this.

Can someone expand please?
He showed up during the middle era of the DeMatteis/Giffen JLI years, and except for Power Girl who loves him yes she does, everyone else has been on the receiving end of the wrath and ire of the Worst Cat in the DCU.

He goes by Stinky.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 19, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So the cat's really just been a running gag for years now? That's kinda funny.

Maybe Batman should give it a few punches to make sure it's not a robot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just be glad that Geoff Johns did not have Dex-Starr kill the kitty to show how badass he was.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

So the cat's really just been a running gag for years now? That's kinda funny.
He showed up to great acclaim in the Palmiotti/Gray/Conner PG run, too:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That was the best PG run. So fun and cheesy. When it ended so did my last interest in DC :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

He showed up to great acclaim in the Palmiotti/Gray/Conner PG run, too:

I don't think that's the same cat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think that's the same cat.
I honestly couldn't find any info one way or another online.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 19, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, PG's cat traditionally had one eye. This is a whole new cat, with the same name. Girl has poo poo luck in cats apparently.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

That cat was awesome. That run was also awesome. Amanda Connor really went out of her way to add extra character to the background of every page.

PG hunts for a new place. The cat isn't orange until she washes it.

Watch the cat.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
That Powergirl series was so good. The writing was a bit ehh in parts but the art made up for it big time. It almost felt like reading a cartoon in the style of Archer or American Dad with the expressive comedy.

Shame DC didn't realize the potential.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This thread, and JL8, have taught me that in the right hands Power Girl might be my favorite DC character. But then they rarely give her to the right hands...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, PG's cat traditionally had one eye. This is a whole new cat, with the same name. Girl has poo poo luck in cats apparently.
I found this from an Amanda Conner interview with The Nerdy Bird:

quote:

There’s one other member of Power Girl’s supporting cast that begs for attention – her cat. PG had a really smelly, cranky cat back in the day and Conner thinks the cat they've placed in the ongoing series is the same cat.

“Surly, grouchy, you’re never home so I’m gonna poo poo on your couch, kind of cat."

Check and mate.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 19, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

redbackground posted:

I found this from an Amanda Conner interview with The Nerdy Bird:

Check and mate.

Any discrepancies are clearly a side-effect of Superboy-Prime punching time.

It's amazing how well 'Superboy PUNCH!' can be used to handwave virtually any continuity gaffe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't know Wonder Woman talked to animals.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't know Wonder Woman talked to animals.

She's a princess. All princesses can talk to animals.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

She's a princess. All princesses can talk to animals.

Can queens? Did Liz 2 spend the night of her coronation sobbing once she realized she could no longer understand the corgis?

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

A great sequence from this week's Superior Foes. Beetle recalls how she defeated Matt Murdock in court.

The whole issue is hilarious, of course.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If you're not reading Superior Foes, review the incorrect life choices you have made and then take corrective action.

(Superior Foes of Spider-Man #9)

• Locked thread