Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Invest in bitcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You could probably use bitcoins to get money out of China... as long as there's people willing to buy bitcoins for dollars. Does Reddit still exist?

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

HSBC HK warns me every time I make any forex transfer that only 20k RMB a day can be moved, so it's actually quite easy to be near it.

Supposedly that's why you always get Chinese people caught at the Vancouver airport hauling wheelbarrows full of Chinese cash illegally, since they can't just transfer it out through normal channels.

I've made a transfer of 70,000RMB with Standard Chartered China last summer, but maybe its because I have tax certificates?

I'm setting up an offshore account with TD direct investing international. As an expat, it seems like the best choice, and will avoid me having to fill out an income tax for for any interest I make on my savings in Canada. Something makes me nervous about keeping my life savings in China.

B-Rad fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 19, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

You could probably use bitcoins to get money out of China... as long as there's people willing to buy bitcoins for dollars. Does Reddit still exist?

I heard it's pretty difficult to buy bitcoins in China now because they passed some law basically banning it? So you'd need to find someone willing to accept a giant wad of cash.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

I heard it's pretty difficult to buy bitcoins in China now because they passed some law basically banning it? So you'd need to find someone willing to accept a giant wad of cash.

Not that I advocate anyone investing in bitcoins, but there's no shortage of people in China willing to accept a greasy paper bag full of crumpled 100 kuai notes.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

As someone who doesn't pay his electricity bill I should probably mine bitcoins, except that I really shouldn't.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

MeramJert posted:

Dont think its banned per se just not recognised as a legitimate currency to buy stuff with. A friend of mine has like a 100 dollars worth invested in Bit coins and was telling me about some kind of witch craft that involved buying taobo vouchers with it but the whole thing leaves me at a complete lost to be honest, as interesting as it is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ally_1986 posted:

Dont think its banned per se just not recognised as a legitimate currency to buy stuff with. A friend of mine has like a 100 dollars worth invested in Bit coins and was telling me about some kind of witch craft that involved buying taobo vouchers with it but the whole thing leaves me at a complete lost to be honest, as interesting as it is.

Oh, I just looked it up. They banned banks and payment processors from converting Bitcoins to or from RMB, and BTC China suspended buying or withdrawing bitcoins for about a month, but at the end of January they got clarification that they didn't need to register as a bank or payment processor and could resume trading. Or something.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

They passed a law saying banks won't exchange bitcoins to and from RMB.

There is a guy in Tianjin from the USA that mines bitcoins and he goes to this new expat bar a lot and once I heard about him and that expat bar I said "well one less expat bar you will ever see me at"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Ally are you a Shenzhen goooooon?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are no laws banning transfers to CosbyCoins or DogeCoins though. The Cosby portfolio pays out again, zip zop zobbity bop.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

caberham posted:

Hey Ally are you a Shenzhen goooooon?

indeed I am :hfive:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Do you like it there? My old roommate/best friend from Tianjin just moved there for a job and started this week. I've been getting daily updates from him, he says Shenzhen is awesome and he already made the trip to Hong Kong for visa stuff and said it was beautiful. I really wanna visit him.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

If you come to Shenzhen let me know, so I can make excuses to not take you out for a beer.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Uh ok you got it

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

goldboilermark posted:

Do you like it there? My old roommate/best friend from Tianjin just moved there for a job and started this week. I've been getting daily updates from him, he says Shenzhen is awesome and he already made the trip to Hong Kong for visa stuff and said it was beautiful. I really wanna visit him.

Having spent a fair few months in HK it is way way better than SHenzhen. But SZ is pretty decent. Cost of living is way lower than compared to Europe, close to HK, it is way greener than I would have ever imagined, my work is good, people are friendly enough, public transport is great and cheap, not many people speak English but its not hard to get by with like 10 phrases as I do, and nightlife is pretty good and if you like aggressive girls then come.

But if you can afford to stay in HK go there and get your friend to come visit you.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Met and two of my best friends here plan to go see him but were planning Hong Kong for a few days. Glad you like it though! From what he says the work sounds no different from Tianjin but the area is a lot nicer but rent was crazy expensive. But that's not saying muchin terms of nice area near the city, because Tianjin is the same as Detroit.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

But that's not saying muchin terms of nice area near the city, because Tianjin is the same as Detroit.

You wear a bulletproof vest to work and thank God every block you walk that no one's tested it yet?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just out of curiosity, are any China goons paid in a currency other than RMB?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Some of us are paid in HKD or TWD.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodnose posted:

Some of us are paid in HKD or TWD.

Oh, so you guys are getting shafted then by being paid in less valuable and arrogant currencies. :china:

I get paid in USD and I was curious about how many other people are paid in Western currencies.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

I get paid in USD and I was curious about how many other people are paid in Western currencies.

Is it easy to have a USD bank account in China?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The times I've gone back to the states to work for my company they have offered to pay me in USD but I have always chosen to get it in RMB knowing I will be back here in Tianjin.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Senso posted:

Is it easy to have a USD bank account in China?

Yeah, mine is an ICBC account and gets me around the conversion limits here. When I worked at a university though, we would have one of our office assistants go to the bank with us and get it all converted without worrying about the conversion limits.

I usually go to the bank on payday and have half converted to RMB and then take out the other half in USD. I then send the USD home to the US through Western Union. It's a bit more than a bank transfer, I think $5 more, but it's faster. I've never been able to get an ICBC bank dongle to work on my computer. I think it's because I'm running Windows 8.1.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So you take cash to a Western Union? How much can you transfer?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the max you can transfer is 10,000 USD. I've transferred like 9,000 USD before and didn't have a problem, don't think you can do more than 10k though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

So you take cash to a Western Union? How much can you transfer?

I do Western Union transfers through an Agricultural Bank of China right next to my ICBC. Just look for a bank with a Western Union sign because the banks that offer it differ by province.

I don't know what the limit is but that US$10,000 figure sounds legit. Western Union says it differs but country and I can't find the exact info for China with a quick Google search.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I get paid in whatever I want. I usually get paid in 2 or 3 currencies because I am crazy.

My BoC gets USD or HKD fine and converts a seemingly limitless amount. I don't get paid enough monthly to hit any, and I get paid to my US bank mostly because my student loans are my biggest expense and I get better rates there/can more easily invest from the US.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 20, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ally_1986 posted:

Having spent a fair few months in HK it is way way better than SHenzhen. But SZ is pretty decent. Cost of living is way lower than compared to Europe, close to HK, it is way greener than I would have ever imagined, my work is good, people are friendly enough, public transport is great and cheap, not many people speak English but its not hard to get by with like 10 phrases as I do, and nightlife is pretty good and if you like aggressive girls then come.

But if you can afford to stay in HK go there and get your friend to come visit you.

Where in Shenzhen are you staying at? I tried to PM you but I guess you turned it off. Hey man are you free this Sunday for a gooon meet in Shenzhen? There's this awesome xinjiang restaurant.

How can I contact you? You use wechat? Oh and post in the LAN thread for silly circle jerk fun.

HEY GUYS HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT CITI BANK GLOBAL TRANSFER? YOU CAN EASILY TRANSFER RMB IN AND OUT. OR OTHER CURRENCIES!

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 20, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Can you transfer money from China if you aren't in China?

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Can you transfer money from China if you aren't in China?

Online bank?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

kwantingus posted:

Online bank?

It'll have to be deposited in foreign currency already though.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

GuestBob posted:

It'll have to be deposited in foreign currency already though.

With my China Everbright card, I can log onto their online platform and buy US dollars using my RMB balance. Then I can initiate a Western Union transfer of those US dollars from the platform as well.

I'm sure other banks have this feature; it should be possible to exchange currency on their web platforms.

Note: I just have a common China Everbright card, no special features or anything.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

caberham posted:

HEY GUYS HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT CITI BANK GLOBAL TRANSFER? YOU CAN EASILY TRANSFER RMB IN AND OUT. OR OTHER CURRENCIES!

It looks like you've got to have a foreign and domestic Citibank account, right? At least that's what I can gather from here: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/pands/detail.do?ID=InterCiti .

Citibank Global Transfer posted:

This service lets you transfer money from your Citibank account to other Citibank accounts in the U.S. or abroad.

How do you fund your Citibank account though? Are there Citibank branches in China that you can walk into and deposit RMB?

edit: They also have this marketing gem on their website "Your über-busy life requires an über-convenient bank." Wow.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 20, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You can also use PayPal if you're willing to eat a 3.9% fee.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Woodsy Owl posted:

How do you fund your Citibank account though? Are there Citibank branches in China that you can walk into and deposit RMB?

Yeah! They have branches in the major cities. Too bad none in Henan

http://www.citibank.com.cn/english/services/atm_network.htm

If you set up a payroll account you get a few more perks. Just ask your HR to transfer money to another bank.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

caberham posted:

Yeah! They have branches in the major cities. Too bad none in Henan

http://www.citibank.com.cn/english/services/atm_network.htm

If you set up a payroll account you get a few more perks. Just ask your HR to transfer money to another bank.

Have any of you shipped things back to the US? We have a 10 pound box we'd like to send home ahead of us--time isn't an issue, it's mostly books and some clothes we wouldn't need until September--and I'm trying to figure out if a company like SF will do it better/cheaper than ChinaPost. Ideally they would supply the packing stuff too.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I've shipped boxes back on a slow boat through ChinaPost of a few times. I sent 4 medium boxes (had to buy the boxes there) like January 10th, just got one of them last week. The other 3 arrived the week before last (one to LA, the other 3 to Wisconsin). I've yet to have a problem with China Post.

I can't remember how much it was though, but I'd say the boxes were over 10 pounds each. Most of it was boooooks. Altogether it was around 900rmb?

Not all post offices can send international, so you'd have to check on that first. Luckily a friend drove me so I didn't have to haul book boxes around town.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Welp my move was finally approved by all top management and I am now in a thread with HR from both Canada and Hong Kong to start dealing with the real stuff. Still no salary offer, we'll see about that.
loving Hong Kong, can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

I've shipped boxes back on a slow boat through ChinaPost of a few times. I sent 4 medium boxes (had to buy the boxes there) like January 10th, just got one of them last week. The other 3 arrived the week before last (one to LA, the other 3 to Wisconsin). I've yet to have a problem with China Post.

I can't remember how much it was though, but I'd say the boxes were over 10 pounds each. Most of it was boooooks. Altogether it was around 900rmb?

Not all post offices can send international, so you'd have to check on that first. Luckily a friend drove me so I didn't have to haul book boxes around town.

Four boxes over ten pounds and under 1000 RMB for all of that? Awesome, that's considerably cheaper than the other services we've looked at.

We've got a lot of stuff to send home since we won't be back in China for at least another two years.