Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This game being so open to modding was probably literally the single best design choice they made. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Vib Rib posted:

This game being so open to modding was probably literally the single best design choice they made. :allears:

Yep! Modding basically IS the game to me - I don't think I've even really played it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

dog kisser posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-peglaci.1768/

There ya go!

edit: Got bored of guns for the moment so I'm trying my hand at tile design!

You're literally doing more work on this game than Chucklefish is.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

You're literally doing more work on this game than Chucklefish is.

Yeah, sure kid.

Loving the weapons and the tiles look swank, not really big on adding new races to the game so I kinda wish these were standalones

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is there a way to make insulated building or a mod to do that. I hate having to stand near a fire in my own house.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

Loving the weapons and the tiles look swank, not really big on adding new races to the game so I kinda wish these were standalones

That's actually a good point - I really ought to add something like that. Hmm. Once I get tier 10 done I'll look into it.

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

SpeedRazor posted:

Due to technical difficulties, the starbound.420yoloswag.com server has currently switched addresses to goons.starbound.tw

Testing out the patch to make sure goon planet is still loading fine, but all the connection issues from the last few days should be resolved.

Can we get this stickied somewhere or in the OP?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just got a 100Mb update. Anyone know what it's about?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I just got a 100Mb update. Anyone know what it's about?

http://playstarbound.com/stable-update-march-18th-2014/

Just pushed unstable updates to stable - added more weather and stuff.

edit: Man, I am not good at actually building stuff now that I have the parts to do so.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 18, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hihohe posted:

Is there a way to make insulated building or a mod to do that. I hate having to stand near a fire in my own house.

There is a mod that produces a heated, breathable liquid. You can use it to fill up buildings in space and cold places, the only downside is you need to enter the building from the top.
Also you could try using Nanostoves, they produce a lot more heat than campfires.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lobsterpillar posted:

There is a mod that produces a heated, breathable liquid. You can use it to fill up buildings in space and cold places, the only downside is you need to enter the building from the top.
Also you could try using Nanostoves, they produce a lot more heat than campfires.
Do you still swim in that liquid or did they make it possible to turn that off?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lobsterpillar posted:

Filling places with heated breathable liquid instead of air is SUCH a sci-fi thing to do. :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

only downside is you need to enter the building from the top.

Unless you make an airlock!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kikas posted:

Unless you make an airlock!
Were pumps added yet?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

harskarenjag posted:

Can we get this stickied somewhere or in the OP?

Just bookmark the thread in PGS here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594524

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-peglaci.1768/

There ya go!

edit: Got bored of guns for the moment so I'm trying my hand at tile design!

Cough cough, dark souls? Huh what?

Oh hey this looks rad. You've totally over taken me! :v:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Cough cough, dark souls? Huh what?

Oh hey this looks rad. You've totally over taken me! :v:

We're a fellowship of... fellows - there's no competition here, only chillness. Also seriously I have no idea how to make anything look good with these blocks - I feel like I just invented lego and realized I suck at lego.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Tiy said way back when that he wants Starbound to be a platform rather than just a game. Letting modding in so early was the best decision they made.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love games that embrace modding like this, it really extends their lifetime and replayability.

They still need to deliver at least a serviceable game though, unless they want people to endlessly bitch about it, see Minecraft. I have no illusions that people will actually stop bitching at random things but they might do it a lot less.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I love games that embrace modding like this, it really extends their lifetime and replayability.
Absolutely, especially considering that there are people who have time and skill to create content that's of better quality than what developers can make. See Peglaci mod for example.

That's also the reason why Valve loves Steam Workshop.
As a recent example, check Counter-Strike:GO. If you compare first weapon skins that got introduced into the game (created by Valve) and compare them to the recent ones, you'll see a massive difference in quality.

lordfrikk posted:

They still need to deliver at least a serviceable game though, unless they want people to endlessly bitch about it, see Minecraft. I have no illusions that people will actually stop bitching at random things but they might do it a lot less.

IMO Starbound is already better made than Minecraft. I'm not a professional game designer or anything but from what I can see there's no way a new Minecraft player can get to the endgame without external information (forums, wikis, friends) or even create anything at all really, because of how broken Minecraft is.
Starbound on the other hand explains basics to you from the start and after you kill the first boss it's really straightforward from there.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking at the other races that on on the starbound mod forum, and found this: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/avali-race-mod.998/

It seems to be Ammonia-blooded space raptors; which is honestly a pretty interesting concept for a race.
Their natural temperature is supposed to be at -45 Celsius.
They even have a wiki for the lore that they have: http://avali.wikia.com/wiki/Lore

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
What's the best combat-related mod thus far with regards to making guns and combat in general more fun?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

I was looking at the other races that on on the starbound mod forum, and found this: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/avali-race-mod.998/

It seems to be Ammonia-blooded space raptors; which is honestly a pretty interesting concept for a race.
They even have a wiki for the lore that they have: http://avali.wikia.com/wiki/Lore

The Avali are really pretty amazing - the spritework and everything is topnotch, and their settlements look wonderful. Also, he liked my branching weapon tree thing, so he's going to be implementing something similar! Can't wait to see that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jack Trades posted:

IMO Starbound is already better made than Minecraft. I'm not a professional game designer or anything but from what I can see there's no way a new Minecraft player can get to the endgame without external information (forums, wikis, friends) or even create anything at all really, because of how broken Minecraft is.

I mean... you're kidding right? Endgame doesn't really matter for Minecraft. As long as people can dig things and then build things I imagine a majority of people will keep playing. It's virtual legos, which is why it's so popular with kids. I think it's quite a bit easier to get into than Starbound, but the two games are so different it's not even really fair to compare the two.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I mean... you're kidding right? Endgame doesn't really matter for Minecraft. As long as people can dig things and then build things I imagine a majority of people will keep playing. It's virtual legos, which is why it's so popular with kids. I think it's quite a bit easier to get into than Starbound, but the two games are so different it's not even really fair to compare the two.

Well, in this case it doesn't even matter if endgame counts as a necessary part of the game or not.
My point is that if you're a new player, who have never played Minecraft before, how far into the game would you get on your own? Or in this case, how much of the game would you actually get to see?

I suppose that you'll figure out how to punch things and maybe even figure out how to make a crafting bench but then what? How would you figure out how to make tools, without looking it up on the wiki?

Minecraft is a great toy, just like lego is, but it's a very poor game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jack Trades posted:

My point is that if you're a new player, who have never played Minecraft before, how far into the game would you get on your own? Or in this case, how much of the game would you actually get to see?

I suppose that you'll figure out how to punch things and maybe even figure out how to make a crafting bench but then what? How would you figure out how to make tools, without looking it up on the wiki?

Minecraft is a great toy, just like lego is, but it's a very poor game.

I don't really see how that's relevant though. Minecraft exists in a world of wikis and endless youtube instructional videos. Sure it would be hard playing without those things, but no one is ever going to experience that so who cares? Playing without the left key would be hard too, but just as moot.

You're right that minecraft is a toy, not a game, but what a toy. I can't imagine what modpacks like Tekkit would be like today if modding was accepted and encouraged from the beginning the way it has been with Starbound.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

What's the best combat-related mod thus far with regards to making guns and combat in general more fun?

There was Desideratus's Combat Rebalancing mod, but he hasn't updated it for the most recent build. :(

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

These guys look really cool :cool:. I'd play one.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

dog kisser posted:

edit: Man, I am not good at actually building stuff now that I have the parts to do so.

This is sick. Here's hoping you do go along with this, because clean-looking blocks that AREN'T SPACE FUTURE METAL are pretty much nonexistent in the normal game. Those blocks almost look like marble.

Also yeah, what Shoehead said, it reminds me a ton of Anor Londo from Dark Souls. But that's a good thing.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

HoboNews posted:

This is sick. Here's hoping you do go along with this, because clean-looking blocks that AREN'T SPACE FUTURE METAL are pretty much nonexistent in the normal game. Those blocks almost look like marble.

Also yeah, what Shoehead said, it reminds me a ton of Anor Londo from Dark Souls. But that's a good thing.

I'm just anxious to release them so that people can build stuff with them because guaranteed day one someone will be like "oh I just threw this together" and will make anything I try to build look like crap.

Fun fact: The blocks are made of Pykrete!

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
If you make it so that it requires a 6 to 1 ratio of wood to snow I'd totally get behind that.

Also I'd say that if you're worried about dudes one-upping you, then don't try to show anything "fancy," just display what the blocks all look like in a 3x3 block floating above the ground or something.
There's nothing to beat if you aren't trying to compete.
e: Did that rhyme?!

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 19, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

HoboNews posted:

If you make it so that it requires a 6 to 1 ratio of wood to snow I'd totally get behind that.

Also I'd say that if you're worried about dudes one-upping you, then don't try to show anything "fancy," just display what the blocks all look like in a 3x3 block floating above the ground or something.
There's nothing to beat if you aren't trying to compete.
e: Did that rhyme?!

My main problem is that I'm making villages, though - THOSE need to look semi-decent, and I'm less good at that.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

dog kisser posted:

My main problem is that I'm making villages, though - THOSE need to look semi-decent, and I'm less good at that.

Why don't you release the blocks and see if someone builds something great and then ask them to use it?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

djw175 posted:

Why don't you release the blocks and see if someone builds something great and then ask them to use it?

I guess the real issue is this : If someone DOES make something awesome, how do I then get the design for it? I suppose I could just look at their screenshot and recreate it, but that's sortof a bummer. I would certainly do something like that, though.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
I figure, as long as your towns don't look like Apex towns, you can't go wrong.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Or ask up front for user submissions. Build a few things to serve as style guide or write a description of what you'd like to see. Tell people they'll be credited in the update post and you reserve the right to modify submissions. If you don't get any good submission you know that at least for the moment there's no one to one-up you :v:

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
You might want to do something mostly underground too - I don't think any other races really go below the ground to any extent, so it'd be unique, and it would make sense for a race that comes from an ice planet. Wind chill and exposure would be an important thing to consider.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Having the aboveground portion be really shallow igloo-looking things with a hatch on top would be neat. Let everything else expand underground. Get that 'bunker' feeling going.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

For sure I'd credit them, my main issue is how to transfer their designs from the screenshots to .dungeon files so I can actually use them. I think what I'll do is release a template (needs to be whatever x whatever dimensions) and say okay now make the space pretty. Village layout will be like so:

Central column of water (with plenty of vents along the way that bubble out air) with airlocked rooms on either side. The goal is to make a whole bunch of those external rooms so that you have a nice variety, so outsourcing that to people would work perfectly. I guess I need to make more objects, then...

edit: Hilariously, you guys seem to be thinking along the same lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

dog kisser posted:

Central column of water (with plenty of vents along the way that bubble out air) with airlocked rooms on either side. The goal is to make a whole bunch of those external rooms so that you have a nice variety, so outsourcing that to people would work perfectly. I guess I need to make more objects, then...

edit: Hilariously, you guys seem to be thinking along the same lines.

The column of water may be a big hassle, even with airlocks. What happens when a random NPC opens one door of the airlock, doesn't close it, and then opens the second one? You'd end up with like half the rooms flooded before your player makes it to the village.
Also with the way water works in Starbound, there's no way to fight that with gravity like you could in Terraria. It could be more work than its worth.

e: I don't want to completely discourage your idea right off the bat, sorry if it sounded like that; it just seems like you'd need to get pretty creative in how those airlocks were designed to prevent any floods. I'm also not sure if there are any ways to cheat the liquid properties with things like platforms.

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 19, 2014

• Locked thread