Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Why on earth would the Dolphins do that?

Rishard Matthews that's why. He's going to be a fantastic #3 full time, as he can line up anywhere on the field and make plays. I love Gibson but if you can get value for him then by all means thank you for the help buddy, and we wish you well.

We have too many similar players at receiver. May as well share the wealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Rishard Matthews that's why. He's going to be a fantastic #3 full time, as he can line up anywhere on the field and make plays. I love Gibson but if you can get value for him then by all means thank you for the help buddy, and we wish you well.

Do you really think a player coming off as severe an injury as Gibson's has any trade value whatsoever?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I may have to respectfully disagree with your belief in Matthews potential.

Even if he is that good, that would leave us with 3 competent receivers, one of whom is coming off knee surgery

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

superaielman posted:

Do you really think a player coming off as severe an injury as Gibson's has any trade value whatsoever?

Not at all. It was clearly a tongue in cheek post. I posted the logic behind it because it was questioned as a bad trade for the dolphins

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

I may have to respectfully disagree with your belief in Matthews potential.

Even if he is that good, that would leave us with 3 competent receivers, one of whom is coming off knee surgery

You really don't think Matthews has demonstrated an ability to succeed in the same position as Brandon Gibson? Even when his production (per game) was better in the exact same role on the same team?

Ok I guess. Agree to disagree. As far as injuries go, Gibson had a pretty bad injury as well so why are we assuming he's coming back while throwing a question mark on a guy like hartline?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lol Rishard Matthews? I also made long post earlier in the thread, but I think the fins need wr help.

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
The Pats are not and never were going to trade for DJax, they're just kicking the tires as usual. You heard it here first and possibly also elsewhere.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Intruder posted:

The Texans have signed their first free agent that wasn't on their team last year, Jerrell Powe, who has played like 10 games in his three year career. But he's a massive dude who can play NT I guess so whatever. Chiefs fans are sure to be :geno: about losing him

If Romeo Crennel couldn't teach Powe how to play DT then I am not sure anyone will. He's a physical freak though, I hope he pans out somehow

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Pron on VHS posted:

If Romeo Crennel couldn't teach Powe how to play DT then I am not sure anyone will. He's a physical freak though, I hope he pans out somehow

If only the Texans could get their hands on Romeo Crennel somehow

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Waroduce posted:

Lol Rishard Matthews? I also made long post earlier in the thread, but I think the fins need wr help.

11 yards a catch with 42 catches with several key plays in the crunch is a pretty good sign for a 2nd year 7th round draft pick dude. He's shown great hands and terrific catch in traffic ability. He's not fast but he's shifty and he cuts well.

I miss nnnadam sigh

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'd be pretty shocked if the Jets signed Vick unless he came with the understanding that he'd be the backup. Doesn't seem like a very Idzik signing; probably using his visit as leverage to get Sanchez re-negotiated.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vick would be the backup for about 2 preseason snaps.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

Vick would be the backup for about 2 preseason snaps.

It'd really depend on what weirdness is going on. For all we know maybe the starter will get to play with the 3rd stringers again!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Don't worry, that slippery floormat will take out another Bills QB and Vick will take his rightful spot in Buffalo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Some news on MJD, some noise with the Steelers. He's been bitching about not wanting to be on the Jaguars for two years now. Okay, nobody wanted to be on the Jaguars the last two years, but MJD has been the most vocal, even skipping the whole 2012 pre-season in protest. It'd be nice to see him in other colors, getting lit up by Poz or W.Blackmon. that'd make my day.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Thomas Decoud dead or what? A few teams need an FS and I haven't even heard his name.

He was really loving awful last year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
So was everyone on Atlanta's defense. The year before he was a pro bowler. i don't see why no one has brought him in to kick the tires, see if he's worth a vet minimum deal.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

He'll probably catch on somewhere, just in a later wave of signings.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Antoine Cason to Carolina.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What's his deal Cardinals fans

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know what kind of sources this guy would have but it's a thing being circulated among the more prominent Jets bloggers.

@Dennis_Agapito
Jets are looking to swing a trade for Houston Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph, per source #nyj

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Some news on MJD, some noise with the Steelers. He's been bitching about not wanting to be on the Jaguars for two years now. Okay, nobody wanted to be on the Jaguars the last two years, but MJD has been the most vocal, even skipping the whole 2012 pre-season in protest. It'd be nice to see him in other colors, getting lit up by Poz or W.Blackmon. that'd make my day.

Why would you want to see MJD get "lit up"? What the gently caress do you have against him?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

Why would you want to see MJD get "lit up"? What the gently caress do you have against him?

He doesn't want to play for my favorite (lovely) team so gently caress him!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Suspect Bucket posted:

Where's the 'bitching' part coming from? Not that I'd be surprised, but last I remember he sat out 2012 pre-season because he was holding out for a contract extension the Jags were never going to offer him in the first place, not just because he didn't want to play for a scrubbo football team.

That said, I don't think anyone expected him to return anyway.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Alouicious posted:

What's his deal Cardinals fans

He was good last year. Well, at least I don't remember being pissed at him for many missed assignments.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I've been saying for an hour now that Antoine Cason is the missing piece.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who that is, he's a receiver right?

he must be because I mean that seems like by far our biggest need and

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ozu posted:

I don't know what kind of sources this guy would have but it's a thing being circulated among the more prominent Jets bloggers.

@Dennis_Agapito
Jets are looking to swing a trade for Houston Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph, per source #nyj

That makes sense. Houston wants out from under that contract, Jets have cap space and a severe need at the position. Joseph had a down season but if the Jets buy low and bring him into a great defensive system he could rebound easily.

I don't know who the gently caress would play CB for the Texans if that trade happened though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ozu posted:

@Dennis_Agapito

Houston would take on 7.5M in dead money if they made that trade and then they'd have Kareem Jackson as their best starting CB so I'm pretty sure this won't happen.

Grozz Nuy posted:

That makes sense. Houston wants out from under that contract, Jets have cap space and a severe need at the position. Joseph had a down season but if the Jets buy low and bring him into a great defensive system he could rebound easily.

I don't know who the gently caress would play CB for the Texans if that trade happened though.

His cap hit is the same as last year's and he can be cut next year for a large savings. There's little cap incentive for Houston to trade him this season and even if they did they're not going to sell low.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Donald Penn's deal with Oakland is $9.6 million over 2 years with $4.2 of it being guaranteed. Is that a good deal for this guy?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

TUS posted:

Donald Penn's deal with Oakland is $9.6 million over 2 years with $4.2 of it being guaranteed. Is that a good deal for this guy?

That seems like a large amount of money for Penn. I guess they really wanted to entice him away from Washington and this pretty much confirms that he's our LT. Not like spending money really matters to Oakland right now

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Clowney has the speed to play corner...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man that contract for penn is just outside the number I was anywhere near ok Miami giving

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Clowney has the speed to play corner...

Oh god, imagine him jamming Desean Jackson by pushing him 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Trading Amendola and a draft pick to the Eagles would not help. No team will take on his contract because they don't think he has a working groin. On top of that, trading Amendola would count 650k AGAINST the cap, from what I understand. It would be the exact opposite of helping.

Is there any word on that? I know he was hobbled all last year by that injury and fairly ineffective, but I've been puzzled at the assumption that he's a complete bust already rather than just unreliable for 2015. Are groin injuries the sort of thing that can persist?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Is there any word on that? I know he was hobbled all last year by that injury and fairly ineffective, but I've been puzzled at the assumption that he's a complete bust already rather than just unreliable for 2015. Are groin injuries the sort of thing that can persist?
Even if his groin heals, something else will break. Amendola's body as a whole is unreliable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh god, imagine him jamming Desean Jackson by pushing him 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage

I just want to see that happen once. :allears: Chip Kelly, you're a dreamer, put a lineman at corner just to see what would happen. Please.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

The groin injury can heal with time, but it's basically what Ozu said. Amendola and Gronk have been hurt much more often than any other current Patriot, and it's much more likely than not that they'll never be 100% again. I wouldn't call him a bust, but he's never going to be as good as people thought he'd be because of his bad luck with staying healthy.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I seriously don't think Amendola ever had a healthy year with the Rams. 2 years ago he was looking pretty good for awhile, but then the injury bug hit him mid season, and that was the end of that (along with the Rams season because he was the only one who could catch the ball).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sweeney Tom posted:

The groin injury can heal with time, but it's basically what Ozu said. Amendola and Gronk have been hurt much more often than any other current Patriot, and it's much more likely than not that they'll never be 100% again. I wouldn't call him a bust, but he's never going to be as good as people thought he'd be because of his bad luck with staying healthy.

What I'm not really clear on is how you distinguish a player who just has bad luck getting injured (and who might be fine when their bad luck runs out) vs someone who is more easily injured. Are there consistent patterns to how he gets injured or the like, or is it just the feeling that all the injuries are accumulating to result in long-term damage?

• Locked thread