Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Captain Oblivious posted:

Indeed you should.

:goonsay: Actually it's +1 to each stat except Wisdom, which gets +3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MegaGatts posted:

(Then roll it over to 25 :v: )

Wait wait wait what? Is this actually possible?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I think EE fixed the various rollover bugs, but I haven't personally checked if the stat one is still around.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Corvinus posted:

I think EE fixed the various rollover bugs, but I haven't personally checked if the stat one is still around.

I didn't even know you could rollover stats in Baldur's Gate and I've been playing it on and off since it released. Expand?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't know if it still works in ee, but you used to be able to equip the rod of terror with the ring of human influence. The ring will keep your charisma at 18 but the rod will reduce your actual stat. So if you start with a stat at 3 you would need to see 4 messages of attribute changes. Be careful, if you miscount and take it off when your stat is at 0, game over. But if the bug still works the 4th charisma modification will roll you over to 25. The beat way to do this was to just wail on a ko'ed troll.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Regarding solo:

It's so silly that Sarevok is suspectible to wand of paralyzation.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

netcat posted:

It's so silly that Sarevok is suspectible to wand of paralyzation.
I actually think that's a good thing. Giving a boss too many immunities can make him impossible to beat for some characters. E.g. from what I recall Sarevok without the expansion pack had a huge magic resistance, which made him almost impossible to beat for mages.

(The wolfwere boss on werewolf island that can only be affected by bladed weapons is another example of that, since clerics are screwed. Stacking a ton or lightning runes and leading him to them is the only strategy they can use.)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MegaGatts posted:

I don't know if it still works in ee, but you used to be able to equip the rod of terror with the ring of human influence. The ring will keep your charisma at 18 but the rod will reduce your actual stat. So if you start with a stat at 3 you would need to see 4 messages of attribute changes. Be careful, if you miscount and take it off when your stat is at 0, game over. But if the bug still works the 4th charisma modification will roll you over to 25. The beat way to do this was to just wail on a ko'ed troll.

Confirmed this does not work in EE, rollover was removed. I now have a character who cannot ever remove his ring of human influence :(

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Draile posted:

I'd choose a fighter/cleric over a fighter/druid, even though it means giving up iron skins, because of the excruciating druid xp barrier at levels 13-14. You won't get over that hump until you have three million druid xp which is six million character xp.

Ranger->Cleric is pretty fun. I don't know if it's a bug but for whatever reason as soon as you re-activate Ranger you get access to all the Druid spells as if they were Cleric spells.

You get a full divine spellbook plus your Ranger level's Thac0 and attacks/round and such. Downside is that you're still limited to Cleric ethos equipment, but there are good warhammers and flails about.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 2, 2014

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

MegaGatts posted:

Leaving aside the sheer pointlessness of not just using Shadowkeeper, what else could you rollover?

CHA - as above
STR - use any belt and letting a couple of Shadows attack you
WIS - equipping Hrothgar's Axe and the Silver Ioun Stone and getting hit by Kachiko's Wazikashi (tough as you'd need a low, odd starting WIS and high attacking APR as the effect only lasts 2 rounds)
DEX - Gauntlets of Dexterity and Haer Dalis' Chaos Blade
CON - Girdle of Fortitude and Find (then kill) Familiar?
INT - The reduction via Illithid would be easy but I'm struggling to think of an INT booster apart from Golden Ioun Stone which as it's just +1 wouldn't help I guess

Iggles fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 2, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Excelzior posted:

Confirmed this does not work in EE, rollover was removed. I now have a character who cannot ever remove his ring of human influence :(

I would just fix it with shadow keeper. It's just something funny that you could do if you wanted to break the game.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Just finished ToB. I held quite a lot back for the final final battle, especially kickass spells, but it turns out the combination of tanking magic resistance then 6 smites (with improved alacrity) combined with mazzy, sarevok and valygar all greater whirlwinding is a bit overkill. Imoen did't get to cast anything with her improved alacrity :)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I did something like that with demogorgon on my most recent run. Pierce magic and breach from the spell striking wands while four warriors unloaded with greater whirlwind. It was dead before it even got off an attack. Once upon a time I thought that fight was hard.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's not really Demogorgon that's difficult so much as that infinite supply of demons he tosses around. Smashing him early would take of that problem.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It's not really Demogorgon that's difficult so much as that infinite supply of demons he tosses around. Smashing him early would take of that problem.

Demogorgon becomes a walk in the park if you tank his minions with a few Mordenkainen's Swords. Since I clicked to this I don't think I've died to him, even on solo runs.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Speaking of Demogorgon, does anyone know what protections I'd need to be immune to him? I've seen some youtubes but can't seem to work out what they used. I'm guessing protection from magical weapons and immunity: <something> (I'm using the unmodded demogorgon, not the "original tougher" one) . I'm on the level above him at the moment and doing my first solo run as a F/M/C.

EDIT: Nevermind, just threw on all my protections and offensive auras (globe of blades, e.t.c) and he went down in about 5 seconds :smug:

Invis fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 7, 2014

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
I never really understood the point of solo runs. I am, however, a sucker for big party RPGs, and the NPCs in BG2 are what make the game for me. I was wondering if anyone knew a good weapon proficiency for Mazzy? I got her pretty early, which means she only has 1 pip in short swords, so she won't be tied to that weapon. I was thinking Halberds? That should work well with bows.

Also, she has some monster stats to go along with her game-breaking self-buffs. 15 strength? Don't worry, we'll let you power up to 18/00 twice a day. You want some insta-cast self heals? You got it! Still not overpowered enough? How about we also let you cast Improved Haste twice a day for no discernible reason.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I like giving Mazzy Bastard Swords so that she can wield Foebane. It's a big, righteous sword that non-Paladins can use, which seems like her sort of thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like using Shadow Keeper to just make Mazzy a Paladin because really she deserves to be!

It also gets me get a warm fuzzy by letting Keldorn go home early, since I've got someone else to tote Carsomyr.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
But then he doesn't get to become a demigod, which is the best.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure he does, it's not like his epilogue doesn't happen, you just don't get to see it.

And really, do you honestly need any epilogue other than Minsc's?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Skippy McPants posted:

I like using Shadow Keeper to just make Mazzy a Paladin because really she deserves to be!

It also gets me get a warm fuzzy by letting Keldorn go home early, since I've got someone else to tote Carsomyr.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/

You don't need Shadowkeeper anymore.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/

You don't need Shadowkeeper anymore.

Unfortunately this doesn't work with EE, if I remember correctly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Unfortunately this doesn't work with EE, if I remember correctly.

I think it works with EE, or at least, it didn't break my game right away.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNvI4tEtzBQ

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's the deal with False Ponab at the end of IWD? First I thought I needed to have one of the skeletons down in order to kill one of his images, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I'm done to one image left that just keeps teleporting and regenerating back to full life. The skeletons don't stay down, and don't seem to change target - no matter how many time my rogues put them down, once they get back up they go back to my mage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

What's the deal with False Ponab at the end of IWD? First I thought I needed to have one of the skeletons down in order to kill one of his images, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I'm done to one image left that just keeps teleporting and regenerating back to full life. The skeletons don't stay down, and don't seem to change target - no matter how many time my rogues put them down, once they get back up they go back to my mage.

One of the images is actual Pomab and killing him ends the whole encounter. If you hadn't yet take all the DPS off the crystal constructs to target him. If that wasn't working, sounds like scripting broke or something.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm not sure. For some reasons, the sentries just keep focusing my Mage, even if she hasn't done _anything_. I can keep hitting them with any character, they won't leave her alone. So she's just kitting them around, which is annoying and not very fun.

E: Finally got it, after minutes of kitting. Very unfun fight, the first one I didn't like in this game really!

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 13, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Pick pocketing ribald in the adventure mart is a fun time. Would do so again. A++++ Rating for that store.

Started a multiplayer run by myself with a thief/fighter and a cleric/mage. I guess I could have actually accomplished the same thing with Aerie instead of a second PC but then again it's Aerie.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Just won a solo dwarf (don't ask) fighter/thief in BG1 and it was probably the most fun I've had with this game. Backstab Sarevok to death in three hits :3:

Big Bottom
Dec 26, 2007

Behind you
Can someone explain to me why anyone would use a dagger when they have such low damage? I've been playing IE games for years and never ever used daggers, although I'm no master of D&D rules.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Big Bottom posted:

Can someone explain to me why anyone would use a dagger when they have such low damage? I've been playing IE games for years and never ever used daggers, although I'm no master of D&D rules.

You might be a (thief/)mage after an alternative to staves/slings. Or you might think a particular dagger is nifty. Teh Dagger of Venom in BG1 is crazy good. The Boomerang dagger is situationally useful I guess. There are probably others.

And anyway, the difference between 1d4 and 1d6 is not all that much, especially if you're then adding various modifiers.

e: Also they tend to attack really quickly (speed factor), which is potentially useful for disrupting mages.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
The +3 throwing dagger Firetooth from Ust Natha is also a really good weapon. In my last SCS Berserker solo run it was a lifesaver on multiple occasions. Since it uses Dagger profiency points, Berserkers can take 5 points in it and murder mages and liches (and the fire damage may interrupt their spells) relatively quickly without getting hit by Maze, a game over in a solo run.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ilyich posted:

The +3 throwing dagger Firetooth from Ust Natha is also a really good weapon. In my last SCS Berserker solo run it was a lifesaver on multiple occasions. Since it uses Dagger profiency points, Berserkers can take 5 points in it and murder mages and liches (and the fire damage may interrupt their spells) relatively quickly without getting hit by Maze, a game over in a solo run.
Do thrown daggers have an advantage over thrown axes though? The Azuredge Axe +3 is available at the Copper Coronet and can theoretically be purchased right after a PC exits from Irenicus' dungeon. The same applies to the Rifthome Axe +3, which is found in the Adventurer's Mart.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Throwing daggers get a bonus attack (or at least they should - whether they actually do or not depends on exactly which game version you're playing).

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Aside from being available earlier, Rifthome has no advantages over Firetooth vs Mages or Liches. I'd personally take an extra attack per round and a little bit of fire damage (for going through Stoneskin) over early access if I'm soloing, since I'm not going to be taking on Liches or high level Mages before Chapter 6 anyway, its too risky. When I do a solo run, I run through BG1 first, and there is no real reason to take axes as a proficiency in that game, so they're usually an afterthought in BG2 because by the time I get there, I've got my entire equipment setup for SoA and ToB already completely worked out.

If Azuredge's kill undead effect goes through Stoneskin, then that is absolutely the go to choice vs Liches, as well as other undead of course. Firetooth is better vs regular mages though. If I'm playing a full party, I'd probably take both Azuredge and Firetooth. Rifthome is decent, but its just a +3 axe, it has nothing extra to set it apart vs the other two imo.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 20, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Are the improved throne of bhaal fights working with bg2ee yet? I remember months ago reading that they didn't work with it, but I was curious if that had been rectified yet. I'm starting an insane difficulty enhanced edition run and I was hoping those worked now since those fights are a blast and much more challenging than their vanilla versions.

Gonna do a Sun Soul Monk. Not sure what party I'll use yet. I think I'll bring Neera along, and probably Rassaad too. Two monks in bg1 will probably be quite gimp but whatever, I've beaten it so many times that I'm sure I can handle it.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
If I wanted to play a warrior type who primarily used a staff, what class would work best for that in BGII? (I have the EE).

If I wanted to dual-class a warrior/mage, would I be able to get some help on some good ways to do this in terms of what level to activate the DC, what combos would work and so on?

Any help would be great, I played a few hours of BG and BGII when I was younger but never finished them so I'm planning to go through them both now. Looking forward to it!

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

PTizzle posted:

If I wanted to play a warrior type who primarily used a staff, what class would work best for that in BGII? (I have the EE).

If I wanted to dual-class a warrior/mage, would I be able to get some help on some good ways to do this in terms of what level to activate the DC, what combos would work and so on?

Any help would be great, I played a few hours of BG and BGII when I was younger but never finished them so I'm planning to go through them both now. Looking forward to it!

Fighter/Mage/Thief triple class would work pretty well. You can backstab with your staff and use the mage spells to turn invisible and boost your defense.

If you want to dual class a warrior mage AND play through BG1, do a berserker kit, dual to the mage at level 9. You get the awesome berserk and the immunities make stupid fights with mages in BG1 much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Please do not dual class on your first playthrough. It is an enormous pain in the rear end when you don't know the game very well. Play a fighter/mage multiclass instead.