Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Quote != edit

Ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurritoJustice posted:

You're Aussie, right? PCCG recently got a whole bunch of artisan pads in and they are worth a look.

These are interesting but they still look like the top cloth layer will start to lift up around the edges and separate from the backing.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 18, 2014

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Zigmidge posted:

You are a terrible consumer and a warning to others. 60$ every two years for a loving mouse?

I would advise anyone who has to pay rent or a mortgage to ignore you.

Ouch, that's cold. But as this proves:

The Lord Bude posted:

How do you guys manage to keep the same mouse for multiple years without getting bored of it, or finding something better?

big mean giraffe posted:

Because my mouse clicks things, and therefore does it's job and that's all I really care about?

Everyone places different values in different things. Perhaps you missed the part where I labeled that bit as my personal preference.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Coincidentally, I get this urge every 5-6 years, right around the time I replace my whole PC!

I could see someone with a steady income and no family obligations get into a groove where they replace their pc parts every year or two. I'm rather poor, so I need things to maintain a certain level of functional for long periods of time.

Nice, 5-6 years is serious value for any PC.

Agreed. For most of us nerds, it's pretty high on the priorities, so every two years is a solid number lol.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Well for me, Logitech is the company I'm sticking with until something changes that, I've had great customer service experiences with them, and the g700s fits all my needs (wired and wireless is a must.) Plus it's comfortable and has a lot of neat buttons. So I don't really have a reason to switch mice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My recent G602 purchase is the first Logitech product I've ever wanted to buy, and I hope they continue to spread the black and silver design aesthetics to their entire range of mice and keyboards.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

big mean giraffe posted:

Well for me, Logitech is the company I'm sticking with until something changes that, I've had great customer service experiences with them, and the g700s fits all my needs (wired and wireless is a must.) Plus it's comfortable and has a lot of neat buttons. So I don't really have a reason to switch mice.

The grip is so nice too; the contour and texture combo is perfect for me, and everything else is really nice. The hotkeys, the scroll, the onboard memory -- really hits all the high points for me and a lot of other users.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I use a 12x12 semigloss glazed ceramic tile for a mousepad. It's not excessively slick like pure glass can be, but smoother than any cloth mousepad, and can be easily cleaned with denatured alcohol. Best mousepad I've ever used.

Also, I've used a Logitech G5 for the last 7 years. It has had occasional problems with 'sticky' left or right clicks, but no such problems have manifested in over a year, and the only other thing wrong with it is that the braided wrapping around the cord has frayed completely through. Ironically, the cord itself is completely fine and shows no signs of abrasion; 'protective' wrapping indeed.

I've certainly thought about replacing it- just been looking recently, in fact. The problem is that for what I want, there's nothing better on the market. The G500s is currently one of Logitech's most highly recommended mice, and it's functionally identical to the G5 with marginal improvements such as a better scroll wheel and possibly a better sensor. There's a few mice by other brands that actually have a design more in line with my needs, but are missing other significant features. For example, the SteelSeries mice have a shape more conducive to my claw grip, and much better side buttons than anything Logitech makes, but their software is known to be garbage and only supports two different DPI settings. The G5 supports five, and I actually use at least three of those, for different games that have different issues with mouse/camera sensitivity.

If something isn't malfunctioning and the only upgrade that the market has produced is such a slight improvement that I can't justify spending $70 on it, then the device is hardly obsolete.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Goo, you'd probably be the best one to answer this, but how durable is the G602? I'm either commuting back and forth from school or flying with an overstuffed bag, and I tend to shove the mouse in a side pocket. This works fine for mice similar to the g100s, but I'm wondering if I'm gonna ruin my shiny new mouse this way. :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm seriously considering the Razer Deathadder 2013. It's under $60 on Amazon, I've read plenty of PRO GAMER type writeups that say a lot of good things about it, and it looks like a nice simple mouse that does gaming right, especially FPS, which is the only type of game I really seriously play.

Am I doing it wrong?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I'm seriously considering the Razer Deathadder 2013. It's under $60 on Amazon, I've read plenty of PRO GAMER type writeups that say a lot of good things about it, and it looks like a nice simple mouse that does gaming right, especially FPS, which is the only type of game I really seriously play.

Am I doing it wrong?

You should strongly consider a Logitech g400s or a zowie EC evo as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

You should strongly consider a Logitech g400s or a zowie EC evo as well.

No on the G400s, but I'll check out the Zowie as best I can.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I'm going to ask the opposite of the Op title. What are some of the cheapest best mice that people own?

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

ShaneB posted:

Am I doing it wrong?

We were just talking about it up aways.

Jetfire posted:

WARNING, ANECDOTAL: I've had a DeathAdder for running on four years now without any problems, so I guess I'm a little lucky and thankful for it. The weird soft-touch material makes it a horrible dust and oil magnet, though. But I will say that I have just about the same level of responsiveness from the $15 Dell business mice I use at work, so I'll probably get something much simpler whenever I get around to it.

Mine is more than 3 years old now, no defects, feels and runs great. But like this guy, I have cleaned this mouse more than any other.
You could buy a 12-20$ pleb mouse, they last unusually long some of the time. Like carnival gold fish.
But they're usually uncomfortable, and lack software support.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I bought my first Intellimouse for about 50$. I constantly had issues with the mouse double-clicking on me but Microsoft happily supported it for me for something like 12-14 years. Because of that I was a loyal Microsoft peripheral customer and kept purchasing their products up until I bought this G700 from Logitech and so far, their support of this mouse for me has been just as good and I will always look at Logitech products first, now.

I can't believe a poster earlier suggested that a company doesn't make money supporting their products and then talked about Razor in a positive light. That was a good belly laugh.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Megaman posted:

I'm going to ask the opposite of the Op title. What are some of the cheapest best mice that people own?

I like the Logitech G400. I think the G400S runs about 40 bucks, and sometimes goes cheaper on sales. For really cheap I just buy the Logitech M100 style mice: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Opti...=logitech+mouse

There are a few kinds that are similar and are usually at or under 10 bucks. I have a handful of this and similar on extra PCs that have lasted many years, although they don't have as much use as my G400 or G500.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Are there any mmo mice out there that are as small as the Razer Naga Ultimate with its smallest side plate on? I tried the naga 2014 when my old naga ultimate died and it was way to fat. But having to spend 130 every time my mouse breaks is going to make me a sad face in the long run. However the first naga ultimate did last a year or so.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

centaurette hentai posted:

Goo, you'd probably be the best one to answer this, but how durable is the G602? I'm either commuting back and forth from school or flying with an overstuffed bag, and I tend to shove the mouse in a side pocket. This works fine for mice similar to the g100s, but I'm wondering if I'm gonna ruin my shiny new mouse this way. :(
This is the G602 I've been using since last June. It goes in whatever backpack pocket I feel like putting it in (usually with cables and power bricks) when I travel. The top two images show scratches that were on it when I looked at it this morning, and then again after I rubbed it a bit with my thumb. I've probably dropped it from 4+ feet about 5 times due to clumsiness while moving from my desk to a meeting room. Bottom line is it's made of plastic with paint sprayed on it, but it wears reasonably well and doesn't need to be treated like a trophy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 18, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

tonic316 posted:

Are there any mmo mice out there that are as small as the Razer Naga Ultimate with its smallest side plate on? I tried the naga 2014 when my old naga ultimate died and it was way to fat. But having to spend 130 every time my mouse breaks is going to make me a sad face in the long run. However the first naga ultimate did last a year or so.

I can't comment on size, but best buy should have a display model of the Logitech gaming mmo mouse (g600?) you can touch.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Goo posted:

This is the G602 I've been using since last June. It goes in whatever backpack pocket I feel like putting it in (usually with cables and power bricks) when I travel. The top two images show scratches that were on it when I looked at it this morning, and then again after I rubbed it a bit with my thumb. I've probably dropped it from 4+ feet about 5 times due to clumsiness while moving from my desk to a meeting room. Bottom line is it's made of plastic with paint sprayed on it, but it wears reasonably well and doesn't need to be treated like a trophy.

That's fantastic. Now the only thing I need to worry about is losing that drat receiver thing. That's probably the only thing I'd change about the mouse, actually. Add a little slot to put the receiver on the bottom, like on some of the wireless microsoft mice.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

centaurette hentai posted:

That's fantastic. Now the only thing I need to worry about is losing that drat receiver thing. That's probably the only thing I'd change about the mouse, actually. Add a little slot to put the receiver on the bottom, like on some of the wireless microsoft mice.

It has that. It doesn't automatically turn the mouse on and off when you plug it in and remove it, but the battery compartment does have a slot to hold the receiver.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

big mean giraffe posted:

I can't comment on size, but best buy should have a display model of the Logitech gaming mmo mouse (g600?) you can touch.

I've had all the Nagas and the G600: the G600 feels like the fattest Naga plates.

mr crow
Mar 5, 2009
Just got a Lenovo y510p, looking at mice to take advantage of the 755M SLI graphics (also the Trackpad really sucks)!
What do you folks think about this deal: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Programmable-Buttons-Cartridges-Switches/dp/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=cm_rdp_product
OR: Maybe I don't really need anything more than one of these low-cost options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWJQLDW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2R0FX412W1BDT & http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3L19KQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9 ? Any thoughts?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think my new Deathadder doesn't like the text on my mousepad... I never had issues like this with my MX518!!

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I think my new Deathadder doesn't like the text on my mousepad... I never had issues like this with my MX518!!

The new Deathadder responses to solid colour mousepads the best. I tried one on a oversize QCK with the FNATIC colours on it and it freaks out everytime it moves from orange to black. It also like textured mousepads like the Mad Catz GLIDE 7, which is like a weird soft mouse pad that tracks like a hard one.

Like others have been saying, if you want to keep it working good all the time be ready to blow compressed air into it every few days. The mouse wheel on mine will gunk up and make this terrible grinding noise on top of the plastic crunching mouse clicks now becoming triple left clicks. I tossed it recently as Razer wanted me to pay both ways shipping to replace it since I am in Canada($40 total) and sticking it out with the g500s.

People are getting really hyped over the Rival so I propbably will get that when I get paid. It seems to handle well for people with big hands.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The new Deathadder responses to solid colour mousepads the best. I tried one on a oversize QCK with the FNATIC colours on it and it freaks out everytime it moves from orange to black. It also like textured mousepads like the Mad Catz GLIDE 7, which is like a weird soft mouse pad that tracks like a hard one.

Like others have been saying, if you want to keep it working good all the time be ready to blow compressed air into it every few days. The mouse wheel on mine will gunk up and make this terrible grinding noise on top of the plastic crunching mouse clicks now becoming triple left clicks. I tossed it recently as Razer wanted me to pay both ways shipping to replace it since I am in Canada($40 total) and sticking it out with the g500s.

People are getting really hyped over the Rival so I propbably will get that when I get paid. It seems to handle well for people with big hands.

Mouse maintenance every few days. "Cool."

I have a really old Func sUrface with Alienware branding (I seriously forget where this thing came from. I have never owned Alienware anything.) which is kind of a silvery text molded into the surface. I really like my sUrface, to be honest, it's the most feature-full mousepad I can find with the cord clip, dual surfaces, and non-slip bottom that I know works great. Unfortunately it looks like you can't really buy them anymore, and the one on Amazon has big branding on it that messes up tracking as well.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

How do you guys manage to keep the same mouse for multiple years without getting bored of it, or finding something better?

Late to the party on this, but all my mice I have, which would be a G500 at my house and a G5 gen 2 at work are not getting replaced until they die. I dunno -- I had requirements and these mice met them and are rock solid and I really have no reason to replace them. I don't know how you 'get bored' of a mouse either. The thing serves a purpose. It isn't a piece of stupid fashion that 'goes out of style' in 6 months.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, screw it, I just switched back to my MX518. I am getting the same scores and feel about the same as I did with the Razer, but I can use my old mousepad. $60 I don't need to spend on a dumb gaming mouse. :)

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Late to the party on this, but all my mice I have, which would be a G500 at my house and a G5 gen 2 at work are not getting replaced until they die. I dunno -- I had requirements and these mice met them and are rock solid and I really have no reason to replace them. I don't know how you 'get bored' of a mouse either. The thing serves a purpose. It isn't a piece of stupid fashion that 'goes out of style' in 6 months.

It's like people with cars. Some buy a Camry and drive it into the ground, purchasing another 15 years later. Others pick up a new BMW on lease every two years. To some it's a utilitarian piece of hardware, to others it's a toy and/or status symbol.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Invidious consumption of computer peripherals seems weird as poo poo, though.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

Cars I can understand as dickwaving, but you don't really dickwave your peripherals since they're stuck back home most of the time. Ends up coming as "I have more money I know what to do with and/or poor impulse control."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nephilm posted:

Cars I can understand as dickwaving, but you don't really dickwave your peripherals since they're stuck back home most of the time. Ends up coming as "I have more money I know what to do with and/or poor impulse control."

For something you touch all day and costs $60 or fewer most of the time I don't see the issue up/sidegrading whenever you feel like it.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Have you never visited the forums where people make Xtreme signatures that detail every last detail of their hardware setup, down to peripherals and mousepads? Sexting should've taught us by now that you can teledickwave. Welcome to the future, it's full of penises.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agreed posted:

I assure you people spend money on far weirder poo poo. Have you seen some of the things in the Awful Things for Sale blog?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ShaneB posted:

For something you touch all day and costs $60 or fewer most of the time I don't see the issue up/sidegrading whenever you feel like it.

Pretty much this. I tend to buy a new mouse every 6-12 months in the endless pursuit of finding the perfect one for me. And to replace lovely ones that break.

This Roccat Kova+ has a busted mousewheel after a little over a year of use so adding that to the list of reasons not to buy of one those. Trying to decide if I should risk trying another new mouse or just buy a Kana V2 and be done with it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I don't see the issue upgrading when you feel like it, either - I just don't understand how you could straight up get bored of a high quality mouse or keyboard or whatever. If new models with useful features come out, cool, but just literally deciding "meh I've had this long enough time to try something else" is foreign to me w/r/t computer parts. I have a mech keyboard and a high-sensitivity mouse and all that poo poo, but I don't get bored of them, they keep on doing what I need them to and I'm a happy camper. That's all. I guess I'm not the sort to get bored of PC parts that aren't substantially improved upon every year, is all.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I posted sometime back about my experience with a Logitech G700S and quickly returning it, and ordering this unknown Perixx MX-3200 from Amazon. The mouse had tracking issues, they deemed it defective and sent me another. This one has no issues.

It gets pretty good battery life, I don't particularly love how it contours to my hand, or lack thereof. It was $60. The side buttons work well and I enjoy having the extras in Battlefield compared to just 5 before.

Now, the real reason I'm posting. I was killing time on kijiji when I saw an ad for four Microsoft mice, 3 of them, and two of those never out of the bag, original Intellimouse Explorers.

I remember the day I got the Diablo II Battlechest, I got this mouse too. Quite literally about 12 years ago. The guy told me he got them on a work term or something about 8 years ago, just getting rid of junk. Scored the two that were never opened for $10. I pretty much just got them for the nostalgia, but they will serve as great backups, one is right now as the Perixx is charging.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Nostalgia? I would never ever game again with my g700 if I had those.

That is the perfect mouse and what I think of when I'm bellylaughing at posts about buying expensive mice more often than food.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

codo27 posted:

Now, the real reason I'm posting. I was killing time on kijiji when I saw an ad for four Microsoft mice, 3 of them, and two of those never out of the bag, original Intellimouse Explorers.

I remember the day I got the Diablo II Battlechest, I got this mouse too. Quite literally about 12 years ago. The guy told me he got them on a work term or something about 8 years ago, just getting rid of junk. Scored the two that were never opened for $10. I pretty much just got them for the nostalgia, but they will serve as great backups, one is right now as the Perixx is charging.
Nice, I used to have the white version and when I was clearing out some old junk at work found a brand new black Intellimouse in its bag. Made sure that has gone home as a backup mouse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone have any experiences with anker mouses? They make good electronics.

They have two it seems but I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDINUTK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24Z76Z0M3YHP8&coliid=I3A6T9D4KI9HD5

It's cheap and seems nice and wide for the way I hold mice. Reviews seem positive. I'm probably going to get it but was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this particular mouse.

Also, I use this mouse currently which I highly recommend - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072G4LB4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24Z76Z0M3YHP8&coliid=I1ROQ8TH2M113T

It came with my asus laptop and has gone through quite a beating and still works fine. I just want to try something new which is why I'm looking at the anker. That being said if you want a nice and simple gaming mouse definitely look at this one. I prefer the thumb buttons over the way they're regularly set up. It's the same as the one I have but it looks like they increased the DPI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm apparently the only goon on the planet who hated the Intellimouse because there wasn't a non-stupid way for me to control the mouse and have easy access to both side butts, so I always ended up clicking them at lovely times. Also, the ones I used always ended up having busted-rear end side butts so they would be all mushy and too easy to click.