Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

BGrifter posted:

My guess is whatever intern they gave the task did a lousy job of randomizing the buffs. The Brains tribe seemed careful to pick buffs that weren't directly next to each other increasing their chances of ending up together.

Not any sort of production conspiracy but the sort of thing a sharp player might pick up on in the moment. I'm reluctant to cry conspiracy when simple incompetence is more likely the answer. (The Evel Dick/Big Brother mirror incident seems like similarly poor planning by production)

I thought the same thing. I felt like some intern put in the purple buffs then tossed the orange buffs on top without rearranging them and then none of the players really dug there hands around in there too much either. From my view it looked like Brains actually all just picked the topmost buffs, which were basically next to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LeJackal posted:

If you want to invest that kind of emotion into somebody that you know almost nothing about and will never meet, that is fine. Enjoy it.

Just stop trying to understand things. It's embarrassing for all of us.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think you guys are overthinking this. They grabbed balls. It happened to link three of them up. That's a little weird but not enough so to warrant more than a shrug.

I said it before but I think the weirder fortuitous breakdown was how Beauty was split perfectly to cause them to self destruct. If LJ or Jefra had gone over instead Alexis or Jeremiah then that would have at least been a solid two, and LJ probably wouldn't have been stupid enough to throw Morgan under the bus and throw himself at the mercy of the Brains. If one of them had replaced Morgan than it would have probably completely changed the tribe making 3 united Brains and 3 united Beauties with Sarah as the swing vote.

Even the Brawn split seemed kind of fortuitous. If Sarah had been with that big group instead of Trish I really don't think she would have turned on Cliff there. She may have been suckered into all that stuff before but I think she would have seen the value in the power alliance for the next few rounds while Trish was obviously just super emotional. I could be wrong, though.

But the thing to remember is this show was taped six months ago and edited together. Sometimes things look fortuitous because the talented professional editors and storytellers knew it was going to play out that way and could craft their editing to tell the best story.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

How do you figure the order of the picking matters at all? The number of people on each tribe needs to be the same, they can't just stuff the basket with orange buffs at the last minute.

I thought they used a plate/platter to hold the packages. I admit I wasn't paying that much attention at that point because Ithe picking doesn't interest me, only the results matter.

However, using a plate you can 'force' the first few picks by setting the plate and understanding human instinct. There are 14 packages, so imagine a set up of three rows of three on the bottom and on top is a row of two placed to 'cover' the top/middle rows and a row of three to 'cover' the middle/bottom rows. Then you put the plate in front of someone and say pick one. It is virtually guaranteed that the first person is going to take one of the 5 packages on top and chances are pretty high that the second person is also going to pick one of the top packages. The third person is a bit more of a gamble and after that all bets are off.

Edit - I should state that I really don't think that is what happened. The production assistant being lazy and the editors crafting the story is the most likely scenario.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 20, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Even the Brawn split seemed kind of fortuitous. If Sarah had been with that big group instead of Trish I really don't think she would have turned on Cliff there. She may have been suckered into all that stuff before but I think she would have seen the value in the power alliance for the next few rounds while Trish was obviously just super emotional. I could be wrong, though.

Yep. I like the remaining brainies, but I was secretly hoping to see them go to tribal just to see where Sarah would fall. She was foremost in my mind watching the episode since without the Beauty implosion, she's the kingmaker on that tribe.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

STAC Goat posted:

If Sarah had been with that big group instead of Trish I really don't think she would have turned on Cliff there.

Sarah wanted to throw a challenge to get rid of Cliff. She absolutely would have gone with the others to do so, especially if Tony was with her. She would have seen this as an opportunity to get rid of him ("We've got two sure votes from the Beauties, then we would still have four against two after Cliff was gone. If Woo and Lindsey are upset, then fine, they'll be gone too")

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but she wanted to do that on a tribe where she had the majority with her. Doing it in this tribe would have demanded her trusting in Woo and the Beauties and giving up that sure thing power alliance the Brawn had. I think the circumstances are different enough that she might have changed her mind. Remember that Tony wanted Cliff gone last week too but he had all but abandoned that idea because even he could see the value in keeping the Brawn tribe together and taking out LJ. It was Trish and her crush on LJ that made that happen.

Plus had they lost last week then they would have had to vote out a Brawn and its easy enough to convince Woo or Lindsay that Cliff is that guy without it reading as too devious. But voting out Cliff this week is a public and undeniable betrayal of the Brawn tribe that could have come back on Sarah and might not have had Woo's support.

We'll never know but my gut just says Sarah would have seen the value in sticking with Cliff and Lindsay a little while longer at least into the merge over trusting in LJ and Jefra (and risking a Beauty post merge alliance).

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

BGrifter posted:

My guess is whatever intern they gave the task did a lousy job of randomizing the buffs. The Brains tribe seemed careful to pick buffs that weren't directly next to each other increasing their chances of ending up together.

Not any sort of production conspiracy but the sort of thing a sharp player might pick up on in the moment. I'm reluctant to cry conspiracy when simple incompetence is more likely the answer. (The Evel Dick/Big Brother mirror incident seems like similarly poor planning by production)

I'm always disappointed when they don't divvy it up per tribe. I think it would be far more entertaining if they ensured that half of each mini-tribe picked a different buff. Granted this split ended up being far better than I expected it to be, since the brawns didn't follow survivor strategy 101 and keep together, and the beauty is ridiculously fractured.

Remaining brains is taking this to the end. Calling it now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It got buried in the awesome second half of the episode, but not enforcing gender parity on that reward challenge was some dumb bullshit. It just wasn't fair that the orange tribe had to put a girl on the pole all three rounds, nor was it at all surprising when they couldn't handle dudes with at least 50 pounds on them trying to muscle them around.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CapnAndy posted:

It got buried in the awesome second half of the episode, but not enforcing gender parity on that reward challenge was some dumb bullshit. It just wasn't fair that the orange tribe had to put a girl on the pole all three rounds, nor was it at all surprising when they couldn't handle dudes with at least 50 pounds on them trying to muscle them around.

I don't think they were forced to at all. It was two men and one woman, and orange just decided to put a woman on the pole under the whole "offense is the best defense" sort of thing. That or they saw Cliffy there in round 2 and basically conceded that one in hopes of him not competing in the third round

edit: Ooh, just checked and Spencer/Jeremiah are the only two guys on orange at all. That makes it trickier and probably explains why they didn't seem to be trying too hard in the second round, to save up for the third round after their women won round 1.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Those physical challenges are usually the best because people get angry and worked up about stuff.

Cliff ruined it. :mad:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CapnAndy posted:

There were likely a lot more rounds than what they showed. The show has a long history of challenges that go on a bunch of rounds but they edit it down to the same result with less rounds.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Juanito posted:

Those physical challenges are usually the best because people get angry and worked up about stuff.

Cliff ruined it. :mad:

I wonder if he is ticklish.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BGrifter posted:

There were likely a lot more rounds than what they showed. The show has a long history of challenges that go on a bunch of rounds but they edit it down to the same result with less rounds.
Two of the three rounds they showed was still 2 girls and 1 guy against 2 guys and 1 girl though, which isn't very fair at all even if there were other rounds when that wasn't the case.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CapnAndy posted:

Two of the three rounds they showed was still 2 girls and 1 guy against 2 guys and 1 girl though, which isn't very fair at all even if there were other rounds when that wasn't the case.

I think they were allowed to choose where to allocate their girls/guys. One team just chose very poorly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CapnAndy posted:

That wasn't the case in any round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb6j2OU8yw

Round 1 was Tasha/Morgan/Sarah vs Lindsey/Trish/Jefra (3 girls v 3 girls)
Round 2 was Alexis/Spencer/Jeremiah vs Cliff/LJ/Trish (2 guys, 1 girl)
Round 3 was Sarah/Spencer/Jeremiah vs Cliff/Lindsey/Tony (2 guys, 1 girl)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Poque posted:

That wasn't the case in any round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb6j2OU8yw

Okay, you're right and I misremembered.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
For what it's worth I thought it was really bizarre at first when I saw a man on one pole and a woman on the other. Took me a sec to get it straight since Probst didn't introduce teams all at once, he introduced each half of the competition.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Hey, someone on the brains tribe actually used their brains in a challenge and it worked. Getting the two guys up front was what they needed. They would have been demolished without that.

Woo looked more surprised and devastated that Cliff was voted out than Cliff himself did, haha.

How long until a full merge, do you guys think?

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Metropolis posted:

How long until a full merge, do you guys think?

I think they do it at 11 like philippines.

edit: I think anywhere from 9-12 is interesting. I think the longer it is till merge the better it is for the brain tribe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Poque posted:

Yeah, Orange were just bad at it due to size and maybe fatigue. Cliff was a tough one to move but I also thing Spencer and Jeremiah are pretty weak and went about it wrong. As much as I love Uncle Cliff I kept thinking the way to go would have been for each guy to grab a leg and make a wish.

It was all worth it, though, for that moment where Alexis is flying across the beach and Cliff is laughing as Spencer and Jeremiah hopelessly paw at him like little babies. Survivor Comedy Gold.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

CapnAndy posted:

Isn't that par for the course of the silly school fun fair type stuff they always do? I've never really been into the challenges on Survivor. They spend so much episode time on them and the best you're going to get is someone making a crack, or someone eating pizza on the sidelines.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spencer sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread for figuring out such a no-brainer situation :rimshot:

He's so smart that it took him halfway through the challenge to realize what the other team figured out before it even began

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Spencer sure is getting a lot of credit in this thread for figuring out such a no-brainer situation :rimshot:

He's so smart that it took him halfway through the challenge to realize what the other team figured out before it even began

Seriously, the guys should have been in the front from the start because that's where all the power is going to be focused. The back doesn't really do much except continue the momentum that the front starts, both backwards and forwards.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

blue squares posted:

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

blue squares posted:

It's less the positioning I was giving him credit for and more just surprising physical strength and ability in the challenges so far. He's a lot more capable than I would have ever imagined before the season started, and it's been masked by equally poor performances from J'Tia and others. I was expecting him to be a Cochran 1.0 in challenges.

I do think the Brains tribe have been getting a bit of an unfair ride though. They were saddled with one of the worst challenge competitors in Survivor history. Take J'Tia out of the picture and I think you end up with a pretty average tribe. Nothing spectacular, but a middle of the road unoffensive win some/lose some sort of group.

This whole "smart people are automatically good at puzzles" meme needs to die too. Even Probst likes to shout it out in challenges when it's been proven false many seasons ago. If intelligence had much of a bearing on puzzle performance David from Redemption Island would have smoked them and Boston Rob would be terrible at them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BGrifter posted:

It's less the positioning I was giving him credit for and more just surprising physical strength and ability in the challenges so far. He's a lot more capable than I would have ever imagined before the season started, and it's been masked by equally poor performances from J'Tia and others. I was expecting him to be a Cochran 1.0 in challenges.

I do think the Brains tribe have been getting a bit of an unfair ride though. They were saddled with one of the worst challenge competitors in Survivor history. Take J'Tia out of the picture and I think you end up with a pretty average tribe. Nothing spectacular, but a middle of the road unoffensive win some/lose some sort of group.

This whole "smart people are automatically good at puzzles" meme needs to die too. Even Probst likes to shout it out in challenges when it's been proven false many seasons ago. If intelligence had much of a bearing on puzzle performance David from Redemption Island would have smoked them and Boston Rob would be terrible at them.

He was never going to be a Cochran 1.0 challenge wise. All you needed to see to figure that out was his topless photo shot in the preseason promotional material, where you can clearly see actual muscle definition; and his bio where he said he was captain of his high school track team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cliff just seemed like the perfect person to ride to the end and then sit next to and beat. You wouldn't even have the "well you brought this awful person to the end, gently caress you!!!" backlash you typically get for that type of game because Cliff seemed to be a nice guy that everyone liked who they might even vote for if he wasn't perceived as having tens of millions of dollars by the rest of the tribe. Like maybe if you, yourself, are an unlikeable person, I could see getting Cliff off the show, but that move is so far down the line that it can't be thought of yet. Oh well. I hope they bring him back in a future season.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rick posted:

Cliff just seemed like the perfect person to ride to the end and then sit next to and beat. You wouldn't even have the "well you brought this awful person to the end, gently caress you!!!" backlash you typically get for that type of game because Cliff seemed to be a nice guy that everyone liked who they might even vote for if he wasn't perceived as having tens of millions of dollars by the rest of the tribe. Like maybe if you, yourself, are an unlikeable person, I could see getting Cliff off the show, but that move is so far down the line that it can't be thought of yet. Oh well. I hope they bring him back in a future season.

he was and that's why Woo was the biggest threat there. They missed the forest for the trees with the decision on Wednesday.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BGrifter posted:

Well maybe they should have found a way to vote her out then.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BGrifter posted:

They had every opportunity to get rid of her and every reason to do so, she was a bossy moron right out the gate and was awful at challenges. They made their own bed on that one.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

To be fair, the non-J'Tia Brains have won both times there's been a head to head puzzle competition

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Toaster Ding posted:

To be fair, the non-J'Tia Brains have won both times there's been a head to head puzzle competition

Well every time J'Tia got to a puzzle she was confused because there was no fire to dump the pieces in.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The only aspect of intelligence survivor puzzles really test is spatial reasoning, and that's not something that's really associated with "smart people" in general. Because of this, I'd suspect that artists (on average) would be better at survivor puzzles than, say, professors of engineering.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Engineering prof is a bad example, but a lawyer, programmer, business executive, or MLB general manager wouldn't necessarily be expected to do puzzles well. Auto mechanics should ace them.

Also, I think the composition of the Brains tribe was really flawed. They had positions of prestige (lawyer! poker player!), but those professions don't necessarily require you to be smart. I was honestly floored that their average IQ was so low. Since IQ tests spatial reasoning ability, a brainy tribe with a high average IQ really should be good at those stupid goddamn puzzles.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

Engineering prof is a bad example, but a lawyer, programmer, business executive, or MLB general manager wouldn't necessarily be expected to do puzzles well. Auto mechanics should ace them.

Also, I think the composition of the Brains tribe was really flawed. They had positions of prestige (lawyer! poker player!), but those professions don't necessarily require you to be smart. I was honestly floored that their average IQ was so low. Since IQ tests spatial reasoning ability, a brainy tribe with a high average IQ really should be good at those stupid goddamn puzzles.

I used engineering professor as an example because my undergrad was in electrical engineering and didn't really involve much in the way of spatial reasoning. I'd say that the same is true for most engineering disciplines with the exception of mechanical engineering (and possibly some aspects of civil).

Their average IQ was 130, which puts them in approximately the top 2%. While not super high, that's not exactly shabby (their average would qualify for MENSA for example).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IQ is pretty pointless and widely misunderstood anyway

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

Well maybe they should have found a way to vote her out then.

Of course. I've just been hearing a lot of "worst challenge tribe ever" and the like, I think that's excessive. They're a pretty average tribe with one outlier.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

IQ is pretty pointless and widely misunderstood anyway

It's a metric, and it seems to be very reliable and predictive of a whole bunch of stuff. It's just too bad that they haven't renamed it; intelligence theory has gone a long, long way since the IQ test was devised. It's worth noting that you'll never ever take a legit "IQ test;" look at the comparison chart on the right for the major ones and how they differ between individuals.

It's highly tenuous, but it's not psudoscience. Probst was right on when he said that there needs to be a lower bound on the IQ they'll allow for contestants, which is part of why I thought the average for Brains sounded low. Now I just want to know what the lower bound is and, out of schadenfreudian curiosity, who the gently caress was it in South Pacific, and HOW stupid ARE they? Because I'm a meanie monster.

That said, anybody who ever brags about their IQ either has Asperger's, or has no idea what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's a metric, and it seems to be very reliable and predictive of a whole bunch of stuff. It's just too bad that they haven't renamed it; intelligence theory has gone a long, long way since the IQ test was devised. It's worth noting that you'll never ever take a legit "IQ test;" look at the comparison chart on the right for the major ones and how they differ between individuals.

It's highly tenuous, but it's not psudoscience. Probst was right on when he said that there needs to be a lower bound on the IQ they'll allow for contestants, which is part of why I thought the average for Brains sounded low. Now I just want to know what the lower bound is and, out of schadenfreudian curiosity, who the gently caress was it in South Pacific, and HOW stupid ARE they? Because I'm a meanie monster.

That said, anybody who ever brags about their IQ either has Asperger's, or has no idea what they're talking about.

Ozzy.

• Locked thread