Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Sweeney Tom posted:

Manziel to Houston, Bridgewater to Jags, Bortles to Browns, Carr to Raiders

The draft thread gets to 50 pages before the 10th pick

(The only one I'm absolutely convinced will happen is Bortles to Browns)

And imagine the possibilities if Rams/trade partner don't take Clowney #2 here, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't wait for the draft so we can just be done with this. No one is going to anyone that we expect. That's how it always goes.

Too bad the draft is still so loving far away THANKS GOODELL :argh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sweeney Tom posted:

If I had to predict it it would be Bortles to Houston, Bridgewater to the Jags, Manziel to the Browns, and Carr to the raiders. I doubt the Jaguars or the Texans are going QB though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It seems like every year, the Raiders try to trade away late round draft picks for a backup QB in hopes of striking gold. It was Matt Flynn last year, Schaub this year, Carson Palmer... oh wait that last one :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

I'm going to flex and mean mug the poo poo out of you guys when Derek Carr goes top 15 and explodes in the NFL.
I want a Carr to succeed so bad. Carr is even a good QB name, and David tried to ruin it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anything that people said about Geno Smith re: the offense he played in in college being a reason not to draft him should be saying the exact same thing about Carr. I wouldn't touch him.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I want Bortles to Browns.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

after all, whens the last time a qb from a non-pro system succeeded in the nfl

that's why alabama qbs have been so consistently great in the pros

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alouicious posted:

after all, whens the last time a qb from a non-pro system succeeded in the nfl

that's why alabama qbs have been so consistently great in the pros

The QB's from non-NFL systems who have succeeded in the NFL are pretty much all off the charts skills wise. Carr isn't. Obviously, simply playing in an NFL system is not sufficient either.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rasczak posted:

Too bad the draft is still so loving far away THANKS GOODELL :argh:

You can't convince me that the draft wasn't pushed back in order to get football starved mental midgets to go see that Kevin Costner movie.

I'm thinking about it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Hoping so hard that all the QB-needy teams cave under pressure and take one in the first. Let the good players fall to other teams, thanks so much.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
A big reason why Schaub sucked so much was a combination of the lingering effects of his foot injury (gently caress you, Haynesworth) and the poo poo we had to play at LG and RT due to their drafted replacements getting injured.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 18m

New #Texans QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will earn $4 M in year one of his two-year deal. And guarantees are in year one. None in year two.

Details

That makes me feel better about the signing.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You can't convince me that the draft wasn't pushed back in order to get football starved mental midgets to go see that Kevin Costner movie.

I'm thinking about it.

Yeah well I'm hoping he gets eaten by another tornado :colbert:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Recursive posted:

To expound on this, I think that there's even less of a gap between the 2nd and 3rd levels of QBs available in this draft. I'd rather hit the LB position at 8 and pick up McCarron or Fales late rather than take a flier on JFF or Bortles. If Bridgewater falls, I'd go for him, but I'm probably wrong.

I agree to a point, but I'm not sure if weaker armed QBs would be a good fit. Turner runs a vertical offense and the Vikings are going to be playing the next two seasons outdoors at TCF, so if a guy like Fales doesn't have the arm strength to cut through the wind and cold the next two seasons, then he may fall out of favor before the Vikings move to their new stadium. Granted that doesn't mean they should take someone like Tahj Boyd just because he has a strong arm, but it should be a factor in who they choose. I'm very interested to see who Turner chooses and I still think that they'll end up taking two QBs in this draft.

This QB class seems to get more confusing as time goes on and there's part of me that thinks that there won't be the early run on QBs that everyone is expecting. QBs always get over-drafted, but if teams think there isn't much of a drop off between QBs in the top 10 and the late 1st to early 2nd, then I think you'll see some QBs slide and a lot of demand for teams to trade back into the late 1st.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

I want a Carr to succeed so bad. Carr is even a good QB name, and David tried to ruin it

David didn't ruin anything. He was benevolent enough to see a fledgling franchise off the ground, punished cruelly by a banishment to Carolina, then imparted the secrets of the wind to Eli and gained a ring out of the process.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how the gently caress can a general manager stand up in a press conference and say this is our quarterback, Bortles, we've selected a person named bortles to be our quarterback. Bortle us to the super bowl. Buy a jersey that says "bortles."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Anything that people said about Geno Smith re: the offense he played in in college being a reason not to draft him should be saying the exact same thing about Carr. I wouldn't touch him.
The reason to not touch Geno was because his arm and decision making were being overrated by scouts who had not actually watched game film and decided his game against Baylor was a reasonable representation for his entire college career

I love that all three of WVU's star players (Geno, Bailey, Austin) were overrated coming into the draft and all three have been disappointing in the NFL.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
meh not worth it

Zypher fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 21, 2014

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zypher posted:

Bortles? More like Abortles, am I right?
Mods?

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
Blake Bortles is the Brownsiest (Browns-est?) QB name ever

In other news LeGarrette Blount is visiting the Steelers

http://nesn.com/2014/03/report-legarrette-blount-scheduled-to-visit-with-steelers/

I'll miss him if he goes, but I don't know how the Patriots could pay for him. Dude was rock solid until the AFC Championship so he probably earned a payday from someone.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

I love that all three of WVU's star players (Geno, Bailey, Austin) were overrated coming into the draft and all three have been disappointing in the NFL.

Caaaalled iiiiiit.

Part of it was my Rutgers homerism since I say gently caress all things WVU but holy hell people were drinking some insane cool aid on Tavon Austin. 5'9 chest catcher? gently caress, I do that in pick up. Someone draft me in the top ten please.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress you guys I'm still gonna say Stedman bailey will emerge a bad rear end slot guy!

Arg. Where'd he go, round 4? I'm still standing by my love for him. Hated geno and Austin coming out though, I'm glad you pointed out his chest catching too. He's so unnatural with the ball

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
To be fair, only one of 32 teams fell for the dynamic duo of Austin and Bailey.

How the gently caress was drafting both of them a good idea?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Not only were they shaky prospects but they went to the same team with no hope of developing any offensive talent.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Geno at least looked like a competent QB at times and him getting picked up in the early second was fair. That draft kinda sucked for QBs anyway. People were mocking Geno high because there just wasn't any other QBs to do it to, and there always seems to be a top 10 QB taken. I ended up mocking him high for the same reason.

He has an arm, he can run, the problem is definitely his mechanics. He needed to sit and learn but the problem with today's rookie wage scale is they get thrown to the wolves then benched if they aren't instantly good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

Caaaalled iiiiiit.

Part of it was my Rutgers homerism since I say gently caress all things WVU but holy hell people were drinking some insane cool aid on Tavon Austin. 5'9 chest catcher? gently caress, I do that in pick up. Someone draft me in the top ten please.

Austin had one of the top 10 games a WR had last season. He also had Shotty Jr misusing him all season. Rumors of his death are a bit premature.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

Geno at least looked like a competent QB at times and him getting picked up in the early second was fair. That draft kinda sucked for QBs anyway. People were mocking Geno high because there just wasn't any other QBs to do it to, and there always seems to be a top 10 QB taken. I ended up mocking him high for the same reason.

He has an arm, he can run, the problem is definitely his mechanics. He needed to sit and learn but the problem with today's rookie wage scale is they get thrown to the wolves then benched if they aren't instantly good.

You really think the pay scale has something to do with an organization's patience with a rookie? I'd like to hear more about this. With the way he and Glennon are being trashed I suspected that teams are starting to act impatiently towards the development of a QB.

I'm being completely serious by the way.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

StarcraftM posted:

Blake Bortles is the Brownsiest (Browns-est?) QB name ever

In other news LeGarrette Blount is visiting the Steelers

http://nesn.com/2014/03/report-legarrette-blount-scheduled-to-visit-with-steelers/

I'll miss him if he goes, but I don't know how the Patriots could pay for him. Dude was rock solid until the AFC Championship so he probably earned a payday from someone.

I don't know how much he wants but the Steelers really can't afford to pay that much for him either. The only benefit is he might be willing to take a one-year deal for a little less money because at this point he'd be the primary backup.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Apologies if this has been posted but the Panthers just signed Tiquan Underwood. Receiver issues are no longer a thing for Cam now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335936/article/panthers-sign-tiquan-underwood-antoine-cason

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

You really think the pay scale has something to do with an organization's patience with a rookie? I'd like to hear more about this. With the way he and Glennon are being trashed I suspected that teams are starting to act impatiently towards the development of a QB.

I'm being completely serious by the way.

Absolutely. Considering that QB is a position where there is no rotation and is arguably the most important position on the field, teams used to be loathe to bench a rookie that was making huge amounts of cash. Geno is on a very friendly four year deal that the Jets can just sit on if they want to and grab a new QB.

It definitely feels like teams are impatient with their cheap QBs now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Brown posted:

Apologies if this has been posted but the Panthers just signed Tiquan Underwood. Receiver issues are no longer a thing for Cam now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335936/article/panthers-sign-tiquan-underwood-antoine-cason

I am completely for Tiquan Underwood being a Panther, that hair makes up for anything that could be wrong

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm happy that Tiquan is sticking around in the league. He's a real nice guy and is pretty hilarious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

I'm happy that Tiquan is sticking around in the league. He's a real nice guy and is pretty hilarious.

It's pretty pathetic that he's at a better career the NFL than Kenny Britt has considering their respective skills. Maybe this is the year Kenny pulls his head out of his rear end....

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

how the gently caress can a general manager stand up in a press conference and say this is our quarterback, Bortles, we've selected a person named bortles to be our quarterback. Bortle us to the super bowl. Buy a jersey that says "bortles."

Look at the mannequin jersey of QB names in Cleveland, and then imagine it updated with "Bortles"

It just seems

right

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So Dezmon Briscoe and I were classmates in high school and sucks to see him get tossed around in FA. I remember he had a pretty solid year with the Bucs in 2011 as a 4th/5th string WR. IIRC he had something like 400 yds and 5 TDs. Anyone here familiar with his skillset and whether or not he's getting any attention?

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

John Brown posted:

Gonna have two stylish men in Carolina this year. Happy as gently caress that Tiquan found a job.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Darian Stewart?

Whoever he is he's a Raven.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lance Moore to the Steelers for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The Bengals signed Marshall Newhouse. OK sure

• Locked thread