Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Seems like there's going to be a new Captain America tomorrow? Wonder if he's going to get the Thor treatment or if it's actually going to be something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Joshlemagne posted:

Seems like there's going to be a new Captain America tomorrow? Wonder if he's going to get the Thor treatment or if it's actually going to be something new.

So, if you wanted to max every new character in the two weeks it takes for a yet another one to appear you'll have to spend like 400 bucks on ISO alone, right? Because this new character poo poo is getting pretty ridiculous.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
At this point, looking at the last two new releases, Lazy Thor + Black Panther would rip the poo poo out of everything.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Joshlemagne posted:

I posted about this near the bottom of the last page. We're getting a "Gold" Cap that's like lazy Thor, and supposedly there's a new 4-star coming that's actually a different character. The new Cap is "Captain America - Steve Rogers" so I'm assuming it's something like a maskless all-blue Cap as a sort of a tie-in with the Winter Soldier movie. Sort of like his look in Steve Rogers: Super Soldier*.

Word on the MPQ forum is that the developers will use Gold covers periodically as some kind of stopgap content addition while they work on bigger updates and getting new-new characters ready. Any 1- or 2-star characters that are reskinned and allowed to level up to 141 are going to be Gold. So every month or so we may get a pair of half-assed characters that are easy for the developers to put up without doing too much work.

*gonna laugh if that's the cover they use

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Want a gold Modern Storm.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

trucutru posted:

So, if you wanted to max every new character in the two weeks it takes for a yet another one to appear you'll have to spend like 400 bucks on ISO alone, right? Because this new character poo poo is getting pretty ridiculous.

Honestly, I like that they are adding more characters, so I can see more variety on teams. My gripe is that the 3 star characters outnumber the 1 star ones right now. Adding more 1 or 2 star characters and making tournaments exclusive to them would go a long way towards having different enemy teams.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Want a gold Modern Storm.

Seriously, I would build her as 4g/5r/5b if we got a modern storm. Her green shatter is pretty good, but dropping a buttload of black strike tiles and destroying enviro tiles for extreme amounts of damage would rule. Especially with Daken and Black Panther on board.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Seriously, I would build her as 4g/5r/5b if we got a modern storm. Her green shatter is pretty good, but dropping a buttload of black strike tiles and destroying enviro tiles for extreme amounts of damage would rule. Especially with Daken and Black Panther on board.

FYI, the levels have to add up to 13.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Honestly, I like that they are adding more characters, so I can see more variety on teams. My gripe is that the 3 star characters outnumber the 1 star ones right now. Adding more 1 or 2 star characters and making tournaments exclusive to them would go a long way towards having different enemy teams.

Yeah I'd really like to see a nice run of 1- and 2-stars put into the game. Maybe a handful of X-Men and some other people peripherally related to Dark Reign. A solid, 2-star Rogue with the right powers would be a good alternative/replacement for Moonstone, for example, and a blasty/leadership tile throwing Cyclops could be a cheaper Black Panther.

I think everybody's just assuming that Deadpool will make it in at some point, but I'd imagine he'll be a 3-star. Or they'll pull a dick move and make him a 4-star so a bunch of people spend money.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I honestly think that as counter-intuitive as it is more characters actually leads to less diversity overall. Right now my main team is Wolverine, Classic Storm, and IM35, with Thor and Cap waiting for enough ISO to get leveled to be usable. And a dozen other characters who just don't have enough covers to be usable. I'd dearly love to be able to explore some different combinations of characters, or at least not use the same ones as literally everyone else at my MMR level. But every character they add is one more chance I get something to sit on the pile at one or two covers and one less chance I get to level up new and interesting characters. Not to mention given how much ISO it takes to level up people are going to stick with the guaranteed high-tier characters rather than take a chance spending tens of thousands of ISO on someone who might work better with their team setup, but more likely will be inferior to what they're using now, or nerfed in the next patch, or replaced with a "gold" version that has to be re-leveled.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
How cruel of d3 to force me to choose between doing my job or fighting for Thor covers.

My lack of work ethic was punished by by an unfortunate Daken/lieutenant cascade of doom. I used my retired 150% hammer boost too :negative:

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I know it's just me, but I swear the cascades are ridiculous lately. I've had characters knocked out in the first couple rounds multiple times the last couple days(to be fair, I've been a beneficiary too).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Up to 230 in the bracket for this event. Not even slightly considering going for broke because I'll be out of town, and I'll never have a use for Doom.

Time to hit 500, then bail the gently caress out

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

JohnnySmitch posted:

here's my entry

What's your MPQ user name?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

gromdul posted:

What's your MPQ user name?

MrTom

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahahaha, the last few minutes of the Juggs event were crazy. I went from 2 to 14 in one minute, with three to go, thanks to everybody sniping at the same time. Luckily, I had saved an easy high-point mission for this exact reason and went safely back to top 10.

Anyways, I was lucky with the token pulls so now I have a 3/3/4 lazy Thor I'll be leveling for a few weeks, I guess. The guy is disgustingly OP in the boosted events.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know about using M Thor. Just too many color clashes going on with him using red, yellow and green. My mainstays, Punisher and Spidey already use those all the time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
For the Punisher's red, does the opponent need to be under 20% health before using it, or does it do the damage; then calculate what's left and down the enemy?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Before damage is subtracted.

E:

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 21, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

For the Punisher's red, does the opponent need to be under 20% health before using it, or does it do the damage; then calculate what's left and down the enemy?

Before the attack. Get that red up to 5 and you'll be downing them under 40% health. :getin:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Before the attack. Get that red up to 5 and you'll be downing them under 40% health. :getin:

5 Red is good but it's not as good as 5 black. Now that we have more characters that actually use black (Psylocke, BP) having a powerful black active isn't as rare but during a match especially with high HP enemies I think you'd use black way more often than red. With the timing of getting people under 30 or 40%, often the extra 10% is just skipped because of cascades or so many strike tiles from his green which synergize much better with the black attack tiles than red's nuke.

Where 5 red really shines is PvE vs lvl 240 Ragnarok, or as seen above boosted PvP against Thor, though arguably 5 black also helps you get him down to 30% much faster.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Joshlemagne posted:

I honestly think that as counter-intuitive as it is more characters actually leads to less diversity overall.
Yes, they would have to make some changes on how they handle rewards and balancing, mainly because they have been handing out 3 stars guys, so they don't feel particularly special anymore and using a 2 star characters feels like taking a step back.

My wish list:

- More variety in tournaments, so you have to use different characters for each one (I've been using Spidey in each and every tournament since I leveled him up to lvl. 50). That levels the playing field, too.
- More 1 and 2-star characters. Rather than giving particular character covers, give tokens so the starting setup after M.Storm/IM/BW isn't automatically Wolverine/Thor/C.Storm.
- Cheaper cover slots and skill prices, so you can actually experiment and not get boned if you cannot get all the covers for your chosen characters (Yes, I know how naïve that sounds).

The developers have kinda cornered themselves with the amount of 3-star characters, because now prizes that are less than that aren't worth the hassle.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Simulator has just opened.

Goes for 10 days. 1000 player brackets.

Bulleye, then Daredevil for points awards.

Steve Rogers blue as Alliance award. Yellow & red only in players awards.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
And Steve Rogers is just a Gold Version of the current Captain America.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Arschlochkind posted:

The new Cap is "Captain America - Steve Rogers" so I'm assuming it's something like a maskless all-blue Cap as a sort of a tie-in with the Winter Soldier movie. Sort of like his look in Steve Rogers: Super Soldier.

awww yeah

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Did they severely reduce the HP and Iso rewards for Alliances? I don't remember needing to get that high in ranking before to get those prizes.

Rauthane
Dec 23, 2001
goat!
It looks like they broke the rewards into more tier levels. Last time it was ranks 2 through 50 lumped into a group, now it appears to be more evenly distributed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jesus christ if you put any time into Psylocke she's a MONSTER for this event.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I looked in the OP, and all of the alliances there are full up. Is there a way for me to get in one and buy a spot? If they are 2000 HP, I have just enough to buy a spot.

Rauthane
Dec 23, 2001
goat!
I had a 5/2/2 Psylocke when it started, and yeah she is pretty powerful. Im using her, Ares and trading off with OBW and DD when need be. Pizza Dog was in second place in the hard mode for a while, hopefully we can stay up there in the top ten.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

I looked in the OP, and all of the alliances there are full up. Is there a way for me to get in one and buy a spot? If they are 2000 HP, I have just enough to buy a spot.

I have enough HP to buy a spot in my current alliance. G.O.O.N. It doesn't seem to be very active but, if you wish, I can buy the spot for you and then you buy one for the next guy who wants to join. (it should cost you 700 HP)

What's your username in-game?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it normal, starting out, that I just can't do PVP at all? I have a lvl 9 black widow, 6 ironman, 6 ares (and a couple others but those are my mains) and I'm being matched up against people who have level 20 iron man, loki at level fuckifiremember and storm at like 25.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

trucutru posted:

I have enough HP to buy a spot in my current alliance. G.O.O.N. It doesn't seem to be very active but, if you wish, I can buy the spot for you and then you buy one for the next guy who wants to join. (it should cost you 700 HP)

What's your username in-game?

My username is the same as here: Orvin

Not that active is fine. My playing comes in waves. I lost interest for a bit when the PvE scaling was way out of whack, but now that it seems under control, I have been playing more.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A single cover Psylocke at 15 is boosted to 105 this event. Yeah, the Simulator is a lot more entertaining than the hard mode prologue chapters.
Right now, I'm seeing that also boosted are Hawkeye (Modern), Wolverine (Astonishing), Ares, Daredevil, and The Hood. Those are the ones I can see, anyway, I don't have all the characters.

I also noticed more boosted options in the warmup but forgot to note them all, so I'm guessing Round 2 will have a different boosted cast. I did see that Black Panther was one of those other boosted.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

My username is the same as here: Orvin

Not that active is fine. My playing comes in waves. I lost interest for a bit when the PvE scaling was way out of whack, but now that it seems under control, I have been playing more.

Ok, I just upgraded the G.O.O.N. alliance. Fell free to send the join request.

teb1288
Feb 7, 2013
If anyone else is looking to jump in an alliance, there is bad alliance with 2 of us in it. That means 3 open slots. We obviously won't be competing for the top prizes but you also don't have to spend HP to get a slot.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

Is it normal, starting out, that I just can't do PVP at all? I have a lvl 9 black widow, 6 ironman, 6 ares (and a couple others but those are my mains) and I'm being matched up against people who have level 20 iron man, loki at level fuckifiremember and storm at like 25.

You need to do the prologue PvE missions for awhile before attempting PvP. They should give you multiple covers for the characters you have, and enough ISO to level them up. There are dozens of the prologue mission, and you can repeat them as needed to eventually get all the rewards.

Also, I put in the join request.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

You need to do the prologue PvE missions for awhile before attempting PvP. They should give you multiple covers for the characters you have, and enough ISO to level them up. There are dozens of the prologue mission, and you can repeat them as needed to eventually get all the rewards.

Also, I put in the join request.

Ok, you're in. I also promoted you to leader so that you can buy a new spot for a new guy. I guess we;ll have to wait until someone else who is interested posts in here.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Having never actually posted in the thread before, but having played the game for a while, I shall (sheepishly) raise my hand in interest of this alliance business.

My name on there is the same as here, lifegetsworser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

trucutru posted:

Ok, you're in. I also promoted you to leader so that you can buy a new spot for a new guy. I guess we;ll have to wait until someone else who is interested posts in here.

I bought one right now, but I am willing to buy another one if needed at a later date. I bought one now just incase I fall behind on checking the thread.