Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Peanut President posted:

I was referring more to the fact that Atlanta asked the IOC how much they were gonna chip in and when the answer came back "zero" they decided to just go balls crazy. poo poo like the opening ceremony and the giant COCA-COLA ad (while pepsi was the official drink).

edit: I got that wrong Atlanta made Coke the official thing the IOC didn't have one.

also this

It pissed off the IOC so much they actually called a meeting just to bitch. If trolling that great doesn't deserve praise then I don't know what does.

Coca Cola is a proud Atlanta company to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

That will never happen. Remember that the IOC celebrated the Olympic centenary year by having them in loving Atlanta.

Oh good, that means the 2030 WC will be in America, that's fun

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

TheBigAristotle posted:

Oh good, that means the 2030 WC will be in America, that's fun

American Athlete of the Year 2013 Josmer Altidore will light the Olympic flame.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Time to bump this back up from page 3.

quote:

Qatar World Cup 2022 investigation: former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner and family paid millions
Documents appear to show a senior Fifa official and his family were paid millions by a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the country won its bid for the 2022 World Cup

A senior Fifa official and his family were paid almost $2 million from a Qatari firm linked to the country’s successful bid for the 2022 World Cup, The Telegraph discloses.
Jack Warner, the former vice-president of Fifa, appears to have been personally paid $1.2 million (£720,000) from a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the decision to award the country the tournament.

Payments totalling almost $750,000 were made to Mr Warner’s sons, documents show. A further $400,000 was paid to one of his employees.
It is understood that the FBI is now investigating Trinidad-based Mr Warner and his alleged links to the Qatari bid, and that the former Fifa official’s eldest son, who lives in Miami, has been helping the inquiry as a co-operating witness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...d-millions.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I need to get a job at FIFA

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quote:

At least one bank in the Cayman Islands initially refused to process the payment amid fears over the legality of the money transfer. The money was eventually processed via a bank in New York – a transaction that is understood to have come to the attention of the FBI. A well-placed source said: “These payments need to be properly investigated. The World Cup is the most important event in football and we need to be confident that decisions have been made for the right reasons. There are lots of questions that still need to be answered.”

hahaha when your money is too dirty for even the cayman islands... ffs

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

greazeball posted:

hahaha when your money is too dirty for even the cayman islands... ffs

I'm not sure what it says about America that we'll process through a shady bank transaction that not even the Cayman Islands would touch.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Akileese posted:

I'm not sure what it says about America that we'll process through a shady bank transaction that not even the Cayman Islands would touch.

The invisible hand of the free market is choking football to death.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
These massive sporting bodies are all insanely corrupt and I hope they get I dunno, nationalized and have their assets seized. The IOC, FIFA, UCI, all of them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wait, so you're telling me noted criminal Jack Warner is in fact a criminal? Woh.

I'm shocked by this turn of events. Water is also wet

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Akileese posted:

Our banks already handle the financial affairs of a number of cartels. Whats one more?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

dkj posted:

Our banks already handle the financial affairs of a number of cartels. Whats one more?
I forget: wasn't one of them found to actually be holding money from one of the Mexican drug cartels?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I forget: wasn't one of them found to actually be holding money from one of the Mexican drug cartels?

That would be HSBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18866018

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I think that was Chase.

Also, Bank of America and Wells Fargo have been caught laundering money for the cartels.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

When Finn retires after the world cup I suggest we make GOM mod.

Football is so loving dead.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Crazy Ted posted:

"one of them"

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

dkj posted:

I think that was Chase.

Also, Bank of America and Wells Fargo have been caught laundering money for the cartels.

God this is so loving depressing. Not like I wasn't fully aware, but ugh.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The International Trade Union Confederation went into Qatar to examine working conditions in order to write a report. The report was just published and it was titled "Qatar is a land without conscience."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

The International Trade Union Confederation went into Qatar to examine working conditions in order to write a report. The report was just published and it was titled "Qatar is a land without conscience."
"But not without oil or money"

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Warner is somehow slimier than Blatter. They're pretty close though.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

Vinestalk posted:

Best quotes:

Everything Qatar has done so far is just an attempt to throw dust into the public’s eyes. They give the impression that they make progress but, taking a closer look, as we did during our inspection trip, you realise that nothing has changed.

I am under the impression that FIFA does indeed play an active part, but not in terms of actual results. They shun it [the opportunity to enforce change], in part due to financial reasons and sponsorship deals. FIFA needs to accept responsibility.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Reminder that Fifa drove several businesses near to Bankruptcy during the South African world cup because they werent allowed to sell certain products close to any of the participating grounds.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Reminder that Fifa drove several businesses near to Bankruptcy during the South African world cup because they werent allowed to sell certain products close to any of the participating grounds.
They also made Budwesier the official beer of the 2006 World Cup held in Germany

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

They also made Budwesier the official beer of the 2006 World Cup held in Germany

I think you'll find that Weiser is a perfectly cromulent German name.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
FootballFacts101 ‏@FootballFact101 25s
British Prime Minister David Cameron has expressed doubts that the 2018 World Cup bidding process was conducted fairly.

He went on to say he's not entirely sure that Qatar has an unblemished human rights record, and perhaps Hitler wasn't a nice person.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ninpo posted:

FootballFacts101 ‏@FootballFact101 25s
British Prime Minister David Cameron has expressed doubts that the 2018 World Cup bidding process was conducted fairly.

He went on to say he's not entirely sure that Qatar has an unblemished human rights record, and perhaps Hitler wasn't a nice person.
He's English, though, so Sepp Blatter will probably respond by proposing kicking England out of the next two World Cups.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In a move that will surprise no one, FIFA has ruled out moving the 2018 World Cup despite requests to do so. Maybe they can host a group game in Sevastopol.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26691561

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

In a move that will surprise no one, FIFA has ruled out moving the 2018 World Cup despite requests to do so. Maybe they can host a group game in Sevastopol.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26691561

Of course they loving have. 2022 will 100% go ahead in Qatar too.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Trying to figure out why on earth he's just holding up a piece of paper with FIFA on it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

Trying to figure out why on earth he's just holding up a piece of paper with FIFA on it.

It was in one of Brendan's envelopes

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally watching the Vice premiere, this piece on how the Brazilian government is dealing with the favelas is some hosed up poo poo. I wonder if poo poo like extreme poverty and violence was even discussed once by FIFA voters.

Wait, no I don't.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Of course it was discussed. If you're not using violence to exploit people living under extreme poverty, how will you get ten stadiums built in the middle of a desert?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Finally watching the Vice premiere, this piece on how the Brazilian government is dealing with the favelas is some hosed up poo poo. I wonder if poo poo like extreme poverty and violence was even discussed once by FIFA voters.

Wait, no I don't.

It was discussed at length, actually, and it was decided that there was no extreme poverty and violence. Novelty noisemakers and overpriced warm beer for everyone

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

It was in one of Brendan's envelopes

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Some FIFA executives were apparently unhappy that Michael Garcia was trying to do his job, so they tried to have his ability to investigate them diminished:

The Grauniad posted:

Fifa ethics investigator survives inside plot to overthrow him

The former FBI investigator leading a probe into the controversial bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups almost fell victim of a plot from some Fifa executives to defenestrate him from the organisation's ethics committee, it has emerged.

Michael Garcia, who heads the investigatory chamber of Fifa's ethics committee, has been charged with examining the chaotic dual bidding race for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively in December 2010.

The US lawyer turned up unannounced in Zurich last week to speak to those members of the executive committee who were around during the controversial process, which became mired in allegations of bribery and vote swapping.

Some were believed to be unsettled by his presence and it has now emerged that informal conversations took place among some unnamed executives on the fringes of the meeting in an attempt to remove Garcia from his position.

Fifa vice president Jim Boyce, Britain's representative on the 24 person executive committee, told the Guardian he was aware of the plot but said it never made it as far as the executive committee boardroom.

He said that he would have been appalled if the plan had been raised officially and would have had to consider his position if anyone moved to unseat Garcia or interfere with his independent investigation.

"It is something that did go on but I don't know who was involved. There was a bit of informal chit chat," he said.

In a statement, Boyce added: "As someone who has been brought up with honesty and integrity - and it was a great honour for me to be asked to be a vice-president - if this had been proposed at the exco meeting or I thought for one moment Garcia would be removed in any fashion from carrying out his full investigation, I and others would be aghast and would have had to consider our positions because things at Fifa have been improving greatly."

It is believed that some of those executive committee members who have joined Fifa's top table since December 2010 intervened to protest strongly that it would cast the organisation in an even worse light if Garcia was blocked in any way.

There is no suggestion that Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who last week refused to comment on fresh allegations of illicit payments between former Fifa executives Mohamed Bin Hammam and Jack Warner in the wake of the World Cup vote, was involved in the discussions regarding Garcia.

Any move to remove Garcia or abolish the reformed dual-chamber ethics committee, introduced in the wake of the storm of protest that accompanied the sullied 2011 Fifa presidential election, would have been unconstitutional in any case.

Having been created by the full Fifa Congress, which will next meet in Sao Paulo ahead of the World Cup, it is not within the executive committee's power to interfere with the supposedly independent ethics committee.

Fifa executive committee member Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan told Reuters: "I am very happy that Michael Garcia will continue in his work. There were some questions raised about the necessity of having an Independent Ethics Committee but to be honest, I think that idea was stopped.

"There were certain people like myself who could not accept that this could happen. He was supported by our Congress and given a mandate and I am very happy he will continue with his work."

The new ethics committee was approved by Congress in June 2011 while Garcia himself was appointed in June 2012 at an extraordinary executive committee meeting.

Garcia, the former attorney for the Southern District of New York, was empowered by Congress to "leave no stone unturned" in his quest to discover if there had been any wrong-doing regarding the voting procedures in the World Cup bidding process.

He has already toured the various bidding nations, including England, to interview all of those involved in the bid process and gather evidence.

As Fifa's first independent ethics investigator and prosecutor Garcia was also empowered to investigate the votes-for-cash scandal that led to long-serving and high-ranking Fifa officials Jack Warner and Mohammed Bin Hammam leaving the organisation.

Warner resigned under a cloud and Bin Hammam was banned for football for life after they were implicated in paying cash bribes of $40,000 to Carribean Football Union members during the Qatari's unsuccessful bid to unseat Blatter as Fifa president.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can imagine those shady fucks in meetings about this guy, calling him 'the agitator' or something

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
"Some were believed to be unsettled by his presence"

Yeah no poo poo

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dunban posted:

"Some were believed to be unsettled by his presence"

Yeah no poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVdsUwFVQI

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Keep talking that poo poo and FIFA is going to settle the Ukrainian dispute by buying it and forming the nation of New Blatterton, where all future World Cups will be held. The central location from major oil money will make a convenient place for bribe drop-offs in order to participate in the event. In forty years they'll have the world convinced that football was invented there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I've heard anecdotally that there's been a couple of people with near zero sports experience from the UAE who've been enrolled on SFA coaching courses, which were favoured over FA ones because they bloodied Mourinho.

Literally can't wait until Man City or similar replace their manager with a 28yo son of an Emir and all the bullshit that follows.