Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The troll that provokes only flames in response is not the true troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm not trolling. And I'm not wrong. They call them "Second Amendment Celebrations".

http://www.gbctroyny.com/nysafe
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...t-celebrations/

They say things like this:
"I personally believe there is a big disconnect between our society today and the Word of God and, to a lesser extent, the U.S. Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights."
and this
“Our nation’s founders provided for our freedom to worship as we choose and our freedom to protect and provide for ourselves and our families,” the description reads. “The Second Amendment Celebration (formerly Beast Feast) recognizes the rights and responsibilities of those freedoms while celebrating both through appreciation of the outdoors and God’s provisions with the purpose to point people to Christ.”

It's really the best example of theses things merging together.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

So how long exactly has Alex Jones been on RT's payroll? His take on Ukraine aligns so perfectly with the Kremlin's that it can't be coincidental.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ray and Shirley posted:

So how long exactly has Alex Jones been on RT's payroll? His take on Ukraine aligns so perfectly with the Kremlin's that it can't be coincidental.

Years and years.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Figures. Fat huckster got greedy.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Literally just 5 minutes ago when I was in the kitchen I was thinking about how Jones and his shows are effectively wings of RT at this point. Are the Al CIAda spy drones getting through my EM shielding? :tinfoil:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With all the articles about how unvaccinated kids are the cause of a resurgence of measles, I wonder if that will cause a push back against the anti-vax crowd.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

twistedmentat posted:

With all the articles about how unvaccinated kids are the cause of a resurgence of measles, I wonder if that will cause a push back against the anti-vax crowd.

I really hope it does. Unfortunately, a lot of them still won't budge unless legal action is taken against them, considering the number of them that believe that herd immunity is a myth, or spread lies that the CDC doesn't actually check to see if someone is vaccinated before "deciding" that it was an unvaccinated child. However, if the push starts moving for legal action against the anti-vax organizations, I can't help but see a net good come of it. Maybe it can sweep toward getting homeopathy off the list of acceptable treatments, forcing chiropractors to stop claiming that they can cure allergies with spinal manipulation, and just keep going until we get the woo out of practice.

A guy can dream.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The push-back will only make them double down on crazy beliefs about government autism plots. Even if a federal law were passed requiring all children to be vaccinated, and it survived court challenges (because people would sue using every argument, especially religion), people would still refuse to do so even if it meant going to prison.

At this point I'd settle for a law that states if you do not get vaccinated and any outbreak can be traced to you then you are legally held accountable for any damages done. If your kid suffers an otherwise preventable illness because you're anti-vax you are charged with child endangerment at the least, and murder if the child dies due to said illness. I'd happily switch the non-violent drug user prison population for an equal number of anti-vaxxers.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Rumor in Austin in the late 90s was that Jones was on the FBI payroll as an informant, kind of like how Hal Turner was.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

MothraAttack posted:

Rumor in Austin in the late 90s was that Jones was on the FBI payroll as an informant, kind of like how Hal Turner was.

Of course now he's being a paid shill for Russia (RT) but much could be argued for :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: over :tinfoil:

sammythemc
Jan 14, 2008

Sullen Child Hitler
You don't need to look to Russia to know Jones is a shill.

"The water has mind control drugs in it!" *cut to water filter ad*

"The money's unsound, invest in gold!" *cut to gold certificate ad*

"The food is being poisoned, become self-sufficient!" *cut to organic seed ad*

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lBuH8NNIBys#t=49

Well guys it looks like he figured it out, we're all done here.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 21, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sparatuvs posted:

He needed to make airplane noises as his hand flew into the "building".

But i love this poo poo, people who have zero understanding of architecture, or physics or metallurgy or really anything make up these wacky experiments that prove 9/11 was an inside job. Because the paper trays at your john deer dealership are the exact same as one of the worlds tallest structures when it was build. Not to mention WTC was uniquely built with everything being built around a central pillar that took most of the weight, with reinforcements throughout that level. Once they started to fail due to being heated, not melted, the central support gave way and everything fell down upon itself thats why it looks like "no building collapse ever" because no building built like that collapsed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

sparatuvs posted:

This is the best demonstration I've ever seen.

Case closed.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sammythemc posted:

You don't need to look to Russia to know Jones is a shill.

"The water has mind control drugs in it!" *cut to water filter ad*

"The money's unsound, invest in gold!" *cut to gold certificate ad*

"The food is being poisoned, become self-sufficient!" *cut to organic seed ad*

I'm guessing he's never admitted to it at least? Beck has openly stated in the past that he didn't believe the poo poo he was saying. Maybe he started believing his own nonsense at some point after that but he was pretty clear that he was simply saying things people wanted to hear and getting rich off it.

Jones is likely smart enough to know that if he believes something's bogus he's got a shitload of suckers that will buy in to it and therefore there's no reason to not preach it like gospel.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Elysiume posted:

Case closed.

The Dunning Kruger effect in action, people :bravo:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Case closed.

Man the new season of "Gorgeous George" hasn't been as good lately, has it?

Ever since they got rid of Kevin and that one black guy, things just haven't been the same.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Case closed.

Amazing. I'm posting this on my truther friends' Facebook pages then going to work and ignoring the inevitable shitstorm that follows.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Once they started to fail due to being heated, not melted, the central support gave way and everything fell down upon itself thats why it looks like "no building collapse ever" because no building built like that collapsed.

The funny thing is that the original truther narrative was that the collapses looked just like controlled demolitions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He would have done it with 110 slices of American cheese, but he got hungry :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That needs to be combined with that other 9/11 truther experiment video. I think someone set a fire inside a little chicken wire cage, then stood on top of it to prove that heat doesn't weaken steel.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ponzicar posted:

That needs to be combined with that other 9/11 truther experiment video. I think someone set a fire inside a little chicken wire cage, then stood on top of it to prove that heat doesn't weaken steel.

It wasn't even chicken wire, it was 1/8" steel you use for fences to keep dogs or small animals in a yard. And the fire was just a few newspapers.

Still one of my favorite videos on the internet. I can't find it at the moment which is a shame because it should haunt the person who made it for the rest of his life. Assuming he actually wised up and realized how much of an rear end he was.

Vince McMahon
Dec 18, 2003
Could you file a lawsuit against someone who wasn't vaccinated if your kid catches the measles from them or something? Just thinking out loud

Would be an easy way to pressure people to take the vaccines

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vince McMahon posted:

Could you file a lawsuit against someone who wasn't vaccinated if your kid catches the measles from them or something? Just thinking out loud

Would be an easy way to pressure people to take the vaccines

There was a thing in Berkeley a couple of weeks ago where an unvaccinated student brought back measles from somewhere overseas and roamed around town for a while (including a few BART rides) before he got sick enough to go to a doctor.

He seems to have only infected two family members (also unvaccinated) so the problem was kind of self-correcting I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Unless Im mistaken its less worry one person is unvaccinated as a whole preschool. A single person doesnt faze much as most people, are you know, vaccinated. Bunch of anti-vaccers, though, get their kids together and you got a lot of sick kids maybe.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Herd immunity on Measles is 83-94%, Mumps 75-86%, and Rubell 83-85%. As long as 94% of people get their kids the MMR vaccine, measles, mumps, and rubella don't really spread and most new cases wind up as a localized event rather than spreading through the surrounding population.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fermun posted:

Herd immunity on Measles is 83-94%, Mumps 75-86%, and Rubell 83-85%. As long as 94% of people get their kids the MMR vaccine, measles, mumps, and rubella don't really spread and most new cases wind up as a localized event rather than spreading through the surrounding population.

Correct. It's about the reproductive ratio - i.e. if you are the first person to get sick, how many other people will you probably infect. If you spread the disease to more than one person on average, the disease can become an epidemic (duh). Herd immunity means a sufficient proportion of people you would have infected are already immune, so you end up infecting less than one person on average and the disease will quickly disappear on its own, while possibly still infecting a small number of unlucky people on the way out.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Elysiume posted:

Case closed.

It's my opinion people that think this type of testing is in any form legit need to be offed. They serve no purpose for anyone or anything except spreading stupidity.
Much like that jackass some time ago that used kerosene, a chicken wire column and a concrete block to prove the buildings should not have collapsed

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=125&topic_id=56836&mesg_id=56836

Edit to include content!

Jesus Christ, don't click on the September 11 link, that place is conspiracy loon central

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 22, 2014

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The scale models of buildings i make can easily withstand shaking and blasts of compressed air. Therefore i propose that we build all our actual buildings from polystyrene to make them earthquake and storm proof.

Fitzdraco
Aug 4, 2007
How exactly did we manage to wipe out Smallpox? Was it just luck or was it enforced small more harshly? I know there were dumb antivaxers back then as well, were they ignored? Could it be repeated with enough money and effort or was Smallpox a particularly easy virus to eliminate>

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fitzdraco posted:

How exactly did we manage to wipe out Smallpox? Was it just luck or was it enforced small more harshly? I know there were dumb antivaxers back then as well, were they ignored? Could it be repeated with enough money and effort or was Smallpox a particularly easy virus to eliminate>

It literally took 150 years (the first major vaccination attempts were started around 1810) and it was a coordinated effort by a lot of major governments.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fitzdraco posted:

Part of it was that smallpox was so obviously devastating. Some people die of the flu, but more than half of people who got the serious form of smallpox would either away and die. So countries were willing to work with the WHO to promote it and the WHO paid for a lot of the campaign, too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

Unless Im mistaken its less worry one person is unvaccinated as a whole preschool. A single person doesnt faze much as most people, are you know, vaccinated. Bunch of anti-vaccers, though, get their kids together and you got a lot of sick kids maybe.

Also there are a few people around who aren't be vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons. Choosing to not be vaccinated is putting those people at significantly greater risk.

At some point the anti-vax cycle will turn around as people become exposed again to acquaintances dying or becoming permanently disabled by preventable diseases. That kind of stuff is abstract history for those of us below a certain age; a little exposure to it will remind people that opting out of vaccinations has very real consequences. It's too bad that a bunch of innocent kids will have to die to drive the point home.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 22, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

computer parts posted:

It literally took 150 years (the first major vaccination attempts were started around 1810) and it was a coordinated effort by a lot of major governments.

Additionally, smallpox is a strictly human disease - there are no non-human vectors or reservoirs. We vaccinate enough people, smallpox can't spread, and once the last ones who had it are no longer infectious, problem over.

(Neglecting, of course the teensy fact that there were some "captive" stocks in research facilities that could be a new source)

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Smallpox had multiple strains, and even very early on there were attempts at inoculation with less deadly strains of smallpox, because people were willing to take a 5% chance at death when there was an epidemic going on of the deadly 40% chance of death that the main smallpox strain had. Eventually someone discovered that milkmaids who had contracted cowpox from the cowpox sores on the udders of cows were immune to smallpox in all forms and then people started intentionally inoculating with cowpox. People were very sane and reasonable in response:

But when a true vaccine came about, there was a whole lot more coordinated effort and the government and population were willing to work towards eliminating it. There were still conspiracy theories, but something so deadly really got people to make an effort.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Miss-Bomarc posted:

So you like the part where Libertarians think the government shouldn't be telling people to do things, but you don't like the other part where, um, Libertarians think the government shouldn't be telling people to...do things...?

Seriously, what is this weirdo "LIBERTARIANZ :argh: " thing in this thread? Kooks might mumble things that sound like Libertarian philosophy. They also say things that sound like Communist philosophy and nobody is claiming that Communism makes people go insane.

Theres a great description I heard of libertarians once "anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.". Granted libertarianism is almost axiomatically not anarchist (All anarchists by definition oppose capitalism), the point is a good one. People who claim to want freedom, yet insist on a state , or private army, to prosecute artificial property rights and serfdom against the poor. Its a philosophy founded on a fundamental incoherence and from those roots the crazy-flowers have grown. Its given us Ron Paul, "prominent" libertarian theorists that argue for slavery, Ayn Rands philosophical illiteracy, bitcoin and all the related crazy around it, and on and on it goes.

You can argue that that is just the crazy one, but it seems more and more difficult each day to find the not crazy ones.

Of course there is going to be a conspiracy connection. If your entire worldview is "waaaah the MAN is out to get us" , without having a coherent underlying theory of why thats so or what to do about it, then your cognitive framework is rife with the sort of contradiction thats so vunerable to magical thinking and conspiracy theory.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

Jesus Christ, don't click on the September 11 link, that place is conspiracy loon central

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAkWNxhBWjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Defacing a classic. :smith:

• Locked thread