Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Jabor posted:

Anywhere with decent cycle lanes and people not being assholes on the road works, really.

Watch the wire, that's what Baltimore is like but with less cops around. I would love to see you cycle through Druid hill park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Attorney at Funk posted:

People at WotC were skeptical that gothic horror could carry a block, but they knew RTR was coming up right afterward...

Which is funny because by most accounts Innistrad resonated better than RTR did.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just curious, where do you get to hear 'behind-the-scenes' gossip like that? Did Maro discuss that happening in his podcast? I've always loved hearing about that kind of stuff.

A combination of following the game since early '94 and consuming all of MaRo's articles and podcasts. Yes he discussed in on Drive to Work, but that's not the first place I heard it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Which is funny because by most accounts Innistrad resonated better than RTR did.

They were afraid Zendikar was gonna bomb too. Pobody's nerfect, I guess.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Just got back from my first FNM draft. I have to say I didn't really like it. I understand it takes practice to get good but I don't think I know card combinations well enough to build something competitive. Being the 0-3 + a bye whipping boy is never fun.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

What a Judas posted:

It's Russian, yes.

I'm debating picking up another 40 of those 4-card miscut basics, but it's going to be a hefty trade. Decisions, decisions.

Pretty sure it would be the best set of basics to bring to a limited event ever.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I was somehow able to trade for about 15 more cards for MeliraPod tonight. :stare: Just a really good night of trading.

EDIT: All that in addition to finding a guy who had bought Jace v. Vraska and trading for his Remand and Future Sight, got various EDH cards for Jeleva/Jor Kadeen/Zombie Horde (including a foil Elbrus :getin:), and so on.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What a Judas posted:

It's Russian, yes.

I'm debating picking up another 40 of those 4-card miscut basics, but it's going to be a hefty trade. Decisions, decisions.

Those four-way miscuts are from a known sheet of Revised, aren't they? Like some guy got hold of a sheet and intentionally miscut it.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

LordSaturn posted:

Those four-way miscuts are from a known sheet of Revised, aren't they? Like some guy got hold of a sheet and intentionally miscut it.

Yes, just like my miscut Tundra.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

morning wood posted:

Just got back from my first FNM draft. I have to say I didn't really like it. I understand it takes practice to get good but I don't think I know card combinations well enough to build something competitive. Being the 0-3 + a bye whipping boy is never fun.

Give sealed a try if you can find somewhere that offers it. Drafting requires two skill sets, making picks and deck building. Sealed cuts out the making picks part of the equation, which gives you a chance to just focus on building the deck. The variance is much higher since you don't get a say in what you open, but neither does anyone else. Then you can get a chance to practice picking out the best 23 cards out of a pool and jamming in 17 lands. The other nice thing about sealed is you can write down the pool you opened and ask fellow goons over in the Limited Thread for feedback and they can tell you what they would have done differently and why.

If draft is the only thing available, I'd recommend reading articles about draft archetypes and watching videos of pros draft on MTGO for the current format (Born of the Gods/Theros/Theros). I haven't kept up with videos in awhile, but I've always liked Channelfireball.com's stuff. LSV does a review of all the cards in limited that's worth reading through to get a feel for how good cards are in limited and he does a good job of explaining his thought process in his draft videos, although he does tend to go for more wacky decks.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

BXCX posted:

Give sealed a try if you can find somewhere that offers it. Drafting requires two skill sets, making picks and deck building. Sealed cuts out the making picks part of the equation, which gives you a chance to just focus on building the deck. The variance is much higher since you don't get a say in what you open, but neither does anyone else. Then you can get a chance to practice picking out the best 23 cards out of a pool and jamming in 17 lands. The other nice thing about sealed is you can write down the pool you opened and ask fellow goons over in the Limited Thread for feedback and they can tell you what they would have done differently and why.

If draft is the only thing available, I'd recommend reading articles about draft archetypes and watching videos of pros draft on MTGO for the current format (Born of the Gods/Theros/Theros). I haven't kept up with videos in awhile, but I've always liked Channelfireball.com's stuff. LSV does a review of all the cards in limited that's worth reading through to get a feel for how good cards are in limited and he does a good job of explaining his thought process in his draft videos, although he does tend to go for more wacky decks.

Thanks I'll have to try a sealed when I get the chance. Luckily my LGS plays a lot of standard, so I may just hit another store for FNM on draft nights at my primary store for the time being.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

morning wood posted:

Thanks I'll have to try a sealed when I get the chance. Luckily my LGS plays a lot of standard, so I may just hit another store for FNM on draft nights at my primary store for the time being.

Yeah, play what you're enjoying. I have friends who have been playing for years who can't stand limited despite my insistence of its superiority but they jam standard week after week for reasons I can't comprehend.

You're going to have the easiest time finding sealed events when the prerelease for Journey in to Nyx hits. Those are nice because they tend to draw a more casual crowd, so of you're regularly doing well at FNM and you get the basics of building a sealed deck you'll be miles ahead of a good portion of the field.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Won my FNM tonight playing R/W burn which I just built today and had played exactly zero games with.

Beat U/W control, R/G monsters, B/W midrange, and White Weenie, losing zero games.

Uh, deck's pretty good, guys. Might take a break from my usual control deck for a bit.

Edit: My favorite moment was Game 2 against the B/W player. He's at 5 life and plays Duress and I show him Chained to the Rocks and Fated Conflagration. He smirks, says he doesn't give a poo poo about Fated, picks my Chained and plays Desecration Demon.

I topdeck Boros Reckoner, cast it, cast Fated on my own Reckoner, redirect the 5 to him.

qbert fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 22, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Haha really? Griselbrand/Sneak Attack/Pentad Prism/Dark Ritual guy?

edit: I had by far the 2 most busted draws of the whole tournament against you in both our games, so I apologize for that

Hah yep. I misclicked a land round one ruining my turn 3 sneak. But my deck was really awkward. How did you end up doing?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

qbert posted:

I topdeck Boros Reckoner, cast it, cast Fated on my own Reckoner, redirect the 5 to him.
You had 8 mana open? Where is this decklist? I kinda want to see it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Veyrall posted:

You had 8 mana open? Where is this decklist? I kinda want to see it.

7 mana, and it's the exact list that won SCG Seattle last weekend.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=64826

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

morning wood posted:

It's like hazing, just keep at it and eventually you will be the one snapping up a 2-0 round in twenty minutes. Louis Scott Vargas does great draft videos and I am personally a big fan of Connely woods set reviews at tcgplayer.com because he talks about a cards playability in standard as well as in limited formats. Another thing I like to do when I get steamrolled is to watch players who top 4 drafts play when my game is done early. Look at the cards they are playing and see how they are working on the board. My friend two chairs down from me read the signals and drafted a silly R/W heroic deck with two Anax and Cymede's, plenty of heroic triggering spells, and removal. Watching his game really highlighted the difference between his deck with lots of little pumps and tricks and my deck of some early speed and a few fatties.

Trip report for the night: I went 2-2 tonight with a U/W thing I drafted because I was too chickenshit to jump into red halfway through the first pack even though it was clearly open (like rage of purph pick 6+ open). Only way I made anything of it was rare drafting a caryatid and a R/G scryland late in pack 3 but some times you eat bear...

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

It's like hazing, just keep at it and eventually you will be the one snapping up a 2-0 round in twenty minutes. Louis Scott Vargas does great draft videos and I am personally a big fan of Connely woods set reviews at tcgplayer.com because he talks about a cards playability in standard as well as in limited formats. Another thing I like to do when I get steamrolled is to watch players who top 4 drafts play when my game is done early. Look at the cards they are playing and see how they are working on the board. My friend two chairs down from me read the signals and drafted a silly R/W heroic deck with two Anax and Cymede's, plenty of heroic triggering spells, and removal. Watching his game really highlighted the difference between his deck with lots of little pumps and tricks and my deck of some early speed and a few fatties.

Trip report for the night: I went 2-2 tonight with a U/W thing I drafted because I was too chickenshit to jump into red halfway through the first pack even though it was clearly open (like rage of purph pick 6+ open). Only way I made anything of it was rare drafting a caryatid and a R/G scryland late in pack 3 but some times you eat bear...

That's not much of a signal; Lash and Rage wheel pretty commonly. I don't think Lash should be wheeling, but Rage is not highly regarded in the format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

Blinding Angel and Accumulated Knowledge were the backbones of the deck. So, no, this is wrong.

Don't forget Counterspell and Brainstorm! I don't have a decklist handy but I have to imagine those were in there too.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

What a Judas posted:

Yes, just like my miscut Tundra.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't spend more than a buck or so per card, tundra or not, for something off that sheet. An intentionally miscut island, to me, is at the same level of an anime titty island. Interesting that someone went to the effort, but what's the point? If it was a legit error, like the sheet got miscut and they were found in packs, that'd be awesome, but as is, they're just alters.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Why doe miscuts/misprints go for so much money? I get that they are unique, but you are literally paying for a defective product that would never have passed a quality check in another industry. I'm not ripping on people who like them, I just couldn't justify paying WAY over the value of a regular card for one that is messed up. Also not having a ton of disposable income to blow on MTG could be playing a factor in my opinion.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

morning wood posted:

Why doe miscuts/misprints go for so much money? I get that they are unique, but you are literally paying for a defective product that would never have passed a quality check in another industry. I'm not ripping on people who like them, I just couldn't justify paying WAY over the value of a regular card for one that is messed up. Also not having a ton of disposable income to blow on MTG could be playing a factor in my opinion.

Just another way for collectors to collect. There are a lot of other types of collectibles that take screw-ups into account and sometimes they end up going for a bit more.

Why do people place value on currency? Cause people before them did. That's all this is. Why do you care about stupid cardboard dragons? Cause someone else did!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

Don't forget Counterspell and Brainstorm! I don't have a decklist handy but I have to imagine those were in there too.

Counterspell was concurrently in 7th Edition, so I didn't count it. Brainstorm wasn't actually a big thing (in UW Control, or even UG Opposition) at the time because there weren't good ways to shuffle stuff away. Rebels, on the other hand, ate up Brainstorm.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

That's not much of a signal; Lash and Rage wheel pretty commonly. I don't think Lash should be wheeling, but Rage is not highly regarded in the format.

And my experience or lack thereof shows! I think its a hindsight is 20/20 thing. I am still pretty new at drafting and it shows, bit I have nowhere to go but up!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

kizudarake posted:

Yeah, I probably wouldn't spend more than a buck or so per card, tundra or not, for something off that sheet. An intentionally miscut island, to me, is at the same level of an anime titty island. Interesting that someone went to the effort, but what's the point? If it was a legit error, like the sheet got miscut and they were found in packs, that'd be awesome, but as is, they're just alters.

I like miscuts for their aesthetic, rather than their origin. I don't particularly care if they're hand cut, so long as they're playable.

Comparing them to alters is actually perfect; that's what I would consider them to be, too. They obviously aren't for you, so instead of saying you'd pay a fraction of what a given card is worth, you should simply say you wouldn't buy them to begin with. :)

PleasantDirge posted:

And my experience or lack thereof shows! I think its a hindsight is 20/20 thing. I am still pretty new at drafting and it shows, bit I have nowhere to go but up!

For what it's worth, I disagree with the analysis regarding Rage of Purphoros. Rather, he's right; it does wheel pretty often, and it most definitely should not. It's one of the best removal spells in the format, and I would consider seeing it mid pack one a reasonable sign that I could snag some more good red spells.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
How are you seeing Rage of Purphuros in pack one? It is a Theros common.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

Won my FNM tonight playing R/W burn which I just built today and had played exactly zero games with.

Beat U/W control, R/G monsters, B/W midrange, and White Weenie, losing zero games.

Uh, deck's pretty good, guys. Might take a break from my usual control deck for a bit.

Edit: My favorite moment was Game 2 against the B/W player. He's at 5 life and plays Duress and I show him Chained to the Rocks and Fated Conflagration. He smirks, says he doesn't give a poo poo about Fated, picks my Chained and plays Desecration Demon.

What did you side in/out for the U/W control matchup?

I went 3-2 with the list (minus the Vaults) and top 8'd, round 5 and my top 8 match was against two U/W Control decks.

I lost 0-2 to both and it was miserable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

What did you side in/out for the U/W control matchup?

I went 3-2 with the list (minus the Vaults) and top 8'd, round 5 and my top 8 match was against two U/W Control decks.

I lost 0-2 to both and it was miserable.

In
4 Skullcrack, 2 Fated, 4 Firedrinker

Out
3 Searing, 3 Chained, 2 Warleader, 2 Reckoner

You bring in the Firedrinkers because you want your deck to be faster. Assuming you won Game 1, Firedrinker into Zealot with Boros Charm up after your 3rd land to survive Verdict usually just wins the game. Skullcracks are always held back to respond to Sphinx, unless you can win the game. Fated is necessary to deal with Planeswalkers. If you see Fiendslayer Paladins G2, bring the Reckoners back for G3.

Remember the deck is a midrange variation of R/W burn, so you don't have to overcommit and the U/W player will not have enough counter spells to handle all your burn. I beat my opponent Game 1 with 7 mana on the board because I resolved Stormbreath, protected it with Boros Charm to his Elspeth minus, then Monstrous-ed it on my turn for the win.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Whoops, I did a quote edit thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

In
4 Skullcrack, 2 Fated, 4 Firedrinker

Out
3 Searing, 3 Chained, 2 Warleader, 2 Reckoner

You bring in the Firedrinkers because you want your deck to be faster. Assuming you won Game 1, Firedrinker into Zealot with Boros Charm up after your 3rd land to survive Verdict usually just wins the game. Skullcracks are always held back to respond to Sphinx, unless you can win the game. Fated is necessary to deal with Planeswalkers. If you see Fiendslayer Paladins G2, bring the Reckoners back for G3.

Remember the deck is a midrange variation of R/W burn, so you don't have to overcommit and the U/W player will not have enough counter spells to handle all your burn. I beat my opponent Game 1 with 7 mana on the board because I resolved Stormbreath, protected it with Boros Charm to his Elspeth minus, then Monstrous-ed it on my turn for the win.

I have 3 slots in the maindeck I need to replace (Rakdos Cackler is horrible, who woulda thunk!), because I lack Mutavaults, do you have any suggestions?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I really wish SCG would switch to something other than twitch for tourney coverage. The video stream freezing while audio continues makes me insane :argh:

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Oh and by the way before the tourney gets too far in: A R/W deck won't make top 8.

morning wood fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 22, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I have 3 slots in the maindeck I need to replace (Rakdos Cackler is horrible, who woulda thunk!), because I lack Mutavaults, do you have any suggestions?

I'm not exactly sure what to replace the Mutavaults with, but if you're trying to run the list at only 21 land, that's a mistake. It's a midrange deck and you're going to have trouble getting to Chandra, P and Stormbreath on curve, so I'd suggest just playing 3 mountains in the meantime.

Mutavaults are kind of essential though for obvious reasons.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

morning wood posted:

I really wish SCG would switch to something other than twitch for tourney coverage. The video stream freezing while audio continues makes me insane :argh:

I don't think I've ever had any issues with SCGs stream.

The GGSLive coverage of CP:Cincinatti today though has been a disaster. Stream started out all choppy and laggy and with terrible sound and eventually it just died completely. It looks to be back now, but I guess we'll see. Rashad needs to get it together.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

MrBling posted:

I don't think I've ever had any issues with SCGs stream.

The GGSLive coverage of CP:Cincinatti today though has been a disaster. Stream started out all choppy and laggy and with terrible sound and eventually it just died completely. It looks to be back now, but I guess we'll see. Rashad needs to get it together.

I think it's more of a Twitch issue than a SCG issue. Same thing happens to the League of Legends tourney coverage on Twitch as well. Some googling points at it being common with the Twitch player.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
http://www.twitch.tv/tweeternal_witness

Streaming some cube provided the beta client doesn't eat poo poo mid draft again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

How does a mono-R player forget to create a Young Pyro token off of Lightning Strike. :psyduck:

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

qbert posted:

How does a mono-R player forget to create a Young Pyro token off of Lightning Strike. :psyduck:

Oh no kidding! I was like uhhhhhhh enjoy that 6 dmg from Desecration Demon.

morning wood fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 22, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hah yep. I misclicked a land round one ruining my turn 3 sneak. But my deck was really awkward. How did you end up doing?

Went 2-1, lost 3rd game of the finals to a UG deck that managed to race mono red with T1 delver, T2 flipped delver + Phantasmal Image copying it, T3 Serendib Efreet, T4 and onward beat me in the face repeatedly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I noticed Serendib Efreet has been printed three times and never had art re-used. What is the most a card has been reprinted with new art each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tharizdun posted:

I noticed Serendib Efreet has been printed three times and never had art re-used. What is the most a card has been reprinted with new art each time?

One of those times was unintentional, to be fair. :v:

• Locked thread