Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

"Stolen Viper found in parking lot stripped"

No doubt to feed the burgeoning market for fiberglass fenders and bumpers. :saddowns:

Do the body panels have traceable vin numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Throatwarbler posted:

"Stolen Viper found in parking lot stripped"

No doubt to feed the burgeoning market for fiberglass fenders and bumpers. :saddowns:

Work on the Supperleggera has begun, I see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is the car version of a streetfightered sportsbike and has basically the same aesthetic.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Even if they were going for just the panels, they did a poor job.
It could look like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaPAZkhs6fA

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Kotaru posted:

Apparently someone on Reddit took pictures of something Sock touched; http://imgur.com/a/sPeQJ

When I lived in Minnesota, I did a full SVT suspension swap into a 2001 ZX3 back in 2007, and I can't believe how destroyed the entire underside of the car was after only 6 years. Wasn't quite to that state yet (the subframe was still one piece), but I had to cut every single bolt out with an angle grinder and replaced both LCAs just like that guy did. Every hit with a hammer on some stuck piece produced a rain of rust chunks from everywhere.

Man did it handle amazing after the SVT suspension was on, though. What a fun to drive cheap car.

JBark fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 19, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Republic Airlines places orange cones around the engines on their airplanes while they're parked. This is to prevent people from running baggage carts, fuel trucks, and other ground support equipment into the expensive engines.

Which makes the following video not only a massive failure but extremely ironic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CgHaQVIP8

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh, that's what it was! I thought it was the dude's clipboard or something.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Did I read somewhere that the engine was completely and utterly fine after that?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the poi posted:

Did I read somewhere that the engine was completely and utterly fine after that?

That's extremely unlikely, but they probably repaired it and put it back into service.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KodiakRS posted:

Republic Airlines places orange cones around the engines on their airplanes while they're parked. This is to prevent people from running baggage carts, fuel trucks, and other ground support equipment into the expensive engines.

Which makes the following video not only a massive failure but extremely ironic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CgHaQVIP8

I like how the guy furthest from the engine bolts like gently caress, and the guy in the foreground has an unhurried, almost bored reaction to the assumed loud bang.

"Ahh gently caress, another cone-strike..."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why didn't the cone on the passenger side get sucked in too?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably only starting the number 1 turbine, switch over to internal power, and then start engine 2.

You are supposed to only start one motor at a time, so that you can monitor engine exhaust temps for issues and be ready to shut it down if something goes wrong. It also takes a fair amount of power to start the turbine, depending on if its electric start or bleed air start. And bleed air generally only lets you start one motor at a time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe the pressure isn't even, certain spots don't have as much power to suck things in? One of those things where it seems totally fine until you cross the threshold and then boom.. the plane is eating cones.

Though in general I'd agree I wouldn't want anything near a running engine that wasn't heavy or secured.. if you google around for "jet intake vortex" you can get some neat visualizations of the airflow.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

The guy tried to lazily plop the cone into place, halfway through that action the cone ended up with the widest part (the bottom) nearest the engine. The larger surface area plus the open bottom put a ton more force on that cone than the cone on the other side which is stationary with only the narrow end near the engine.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Probably only starting the number 1 turbine, switch over to internal power, and then start engine 2.

You are supposed to only start one motor at a time, so that you can monitor engine exhaust temps for issues and be ready to shut it down if something goes wrong. It also takes a fair amount of power to start the turbine, depending on if its electric start or bleed air start. And bleed air generally only lets you start one motor at a time.

Would you stop one engine at a time too? That plane just arrived, note the ground crew member kicking the chocks over towards the front wheels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Would you stop one engine at a time too? That plane just arrived, note the ground crew member kicking the chocks over towards the front wheels.

Ah, okay. No, they shut them down in sync usually, no reason to shut them down one at a time as long as the APU is still running or external power is plugged in.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
#2 was probably shut down. Single engine taxi, both before and after landing, is pretty much SOP for all airlines these days. I don't know their procedures but my guess would be that they shut down #2 on the taxi in so that the ramp workers can access the cargo compartment located just in front of the #2 engine.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Here's the water pump on my I6 Chevy Trailblazer.

Luckily it let go on an extremely cold night, and I was able to limp home without overheating. And it was a fairly easy swap.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That cone was chewed up impressively quickly.

Edit: Probably not completely undamaged because it looks like there were sparks from fan-shroud contact but not bad. Remember the CF34 is based on the A-10s engine which is known for being tough.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1184861_10203676411858603_1292377552_n.jpg

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 20, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

piston

where is piston???

piston was hiding

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"There you are!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

piston was hiding
That looks like an impressive crank salad.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It isn't automotive but very bad things happened to my bicycle's rear derailleur today.

I had to use the bike like a scooter to get home and people were staring :saddowns:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shifty Pony posted:

It isn't automotive but very bad things happened to my bicycle's rear derailleur today.

I had to use the bike like a scooter to get home and people were staring :saddowns:

Today was not a good day for bikes (at least mine happened after I reached campus, and I can get a ride home... eventually)

Attempts to pull the chain free were less than successful. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't mess about - get plenty of slack in the chain (remove the rear wheel), get a really good grip on it and yank that bastard out. It looks like it's actually hooked a plate under the middle ring, so you may need to pull at a slight angle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Don't mess about - get plenty of slack in the chain (remove the rear wheel), get a really good grip on it and yank that bastard out. It looks like it's actually hooked a plate under the middle ring, so you may need to pull at a slight angle.

What about a long flathead, push the gear away and pull it out?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

piston was hiding

Jesus

how loud was it (during and after)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr. Despair posted:

Today was not a good day for bikes (at least mine happened after I reached campus, and I can get a ride home... eventually)

Attempts to pull the chain free were less than successful. :smith:

Take the chainrings off or even just loosen the smallest one. It should be a 3 minute job. I think ~70 in-lbs is the torque when you reinstall them, but really gudentight works well enough if you check it after a few rides to make sure nothing is moving.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

buttcrackmenace posted:

Jesus

how loud was it (during and after)

not mine

bonus photo of the engine operating properly:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Bonus design failure follow up to my last post. I'm going to find the engineer who decided to make the engine a part of the frame and murder him.

Basically you have to split the tractor in half to pull the engine.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
It's a stressed member, like an F1 car!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I don't know of any tractors that aren't like that. I'm sure there are some, but engine as part of the frame is pretty standard.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Engine as frame is pretty standard. Slung Blade's electric tractor blew my mind because it had a frame that wasn't the drive line.

Edit: phone posting a picture is hard.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Engine as frame is pretty standard. Slung Blade's electric tractor blew my mind because it had a frame that wasn't the drive line.

Edit: phone posting a picture is hard.

Yeah, I got pretty lucky when I found mine when I did. There aren't many models like it out there compared to ones that a single unit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its 10x more fun when you have a front end loader on them, because then you have to fully dismantle and remove the loader before you can split the tractor for somethng as simple as a clutch job...

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Found this on FB today - Your average Mazda Protege in the wild (Quebec / Ontario). Had the unfortunate experience of owning one as a first car a few years back. Mine rusted so bad that the driver rear shock strut went straight through the strut tower and into the trunk! Had seen the rest of the body rust coming but never that part.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deathreaper posted:

Found this on FB today - Your average Mazda Protege in the wild (Quebec / Ontario). Had the unfortunate experience of owning one as a first car a few years back. Mine rusted so bad that the driver rear shock strut went straight through the strut tower and into the trunk! Had seen the rest of the body rust coming but never that part.

And i thought this was bad. This is a 2004 mazda 3, and the other side was just as bad.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I saw a Mazda 2 with big rust spots on the hatch this week. I can't remember when they first came to canada but it wasn't that long ago. 2009?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Yea I've seen a fair amount of Mazda 3s barely 5 years old with significant rust. Wonder if there will be class action lawsuit for this crap eventually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Crustashio posted:

I saw a Mazda 2 with big rust spots on the hatch this week. I can't remember when they first came to canada but it wasn't that long ago. 2009?

I am so glad I live in California.

Do the US built Mazda 6s (Ford era) have rust issues? It is shocking to me that someone isn't fully galvanizing and rust proofing cars these days. I saw 1992-95 Camrys running around minnesota without rust when I lived there. poo poo, even VW had it figured out in like 1998.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 23, 2014