Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catface Meowmers
Dec 27, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Well either way, just tired of my standard oatmeal and was wondering if there were any amazing Oatmeal LifeHacks I need to be aware of

My favorite mix-ins are cocoa powder/grated pear, peanut butter, grated apple/cinnamon or chopped up dried figs. Sometimes I use coffee as the cooking liquid instead of milk/water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Well either way, just tired of my standard oatmeal and was wondering if there were any amazing Oatmeal LifeHacks I need to be aware of
I put fresh fruit in mine (just apples, usually) and leave it in the crock pot over night.

You could try something savory; I've had mine with caramelized onions and bacon and it was awesome. I was thinking of prosciutto and found this:
TUSCAN OATS WITH BASIL AND PROSCIUTTO

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just thinking about the possibilities of savoury oatmeal the other day when I was making chao ga (vietnamese rice porridge). I'd say it could be extremely delicious and probably a lot better for you than porridge made from white rice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For whatever reason I saw alligator meat at my grocery store in Bumblefuck, IL the other day, so now I have a pound of alligator meat. Any idea what I should do with it?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

For whatever reason I saw alligator meat at my grocery store in Bumblefuck, IL the other day, so now I have a pound of alligator meat. Any idea what I should do with it?

Paula Deen has a lovely Fried Gator recipe for blahahahawahahaha.

Start out making Kabobs or something. Semi-isolate its particular taste.

Here's one of the first few hits off google for alligator kabob recipe.
http://voices.yahoo.com/alligator-meat-healthy-exotic-florida-favorite-3107588.html?cat=22

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

If you make it runny it can replace yogurt or milk in a smoothie

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any suggestions for stuff I can make quick and easy that's not pasta or rice? I'm not a zealot about it but I try to minimize those things as much as I can. I'm just looking for something I can make for myself for those nights when my family has 20 different things going on and my wife whips up pasta for the kids.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

vulturesrow posted:

Any suggestions for stuff I can make quick and easy that's not pasta or rice? I'm not a zealot about it but I try to minimize those things as much as I can. I'm just looking for something I can make for myself for those nights when my family has 20 different things going on and my wife whips up pasta for the kids.

Quinoa and lentils are really good. Squash is also super easy to deal with and I like them. They're all super fast to prepare. Spaghetti squash is fantastic if you just want to volumize. Plain with a little bit of salt and it's seriously delicious - but is a very good base for anything.

You could also eat broccoli/cauliflower, or make a slaw out of it and saute it quickly alongside some onions. I suppose you could even shred cauliflower in a food processor to make a decent rice substitute.

Why don't you just make the family switch to brown rice or whole grain wheat noodles?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 23, 2014

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I was about to try Kenji's "reverse sear" pork chop method here, but something threw me for a loop.

Basically, it's slowly roasting the chops in the oven up to an internal of 110f or so, then searing them to finish.
Fine.
But at the end he says "What's more, the exterior of your chop will dry out significantly during its stay in the warm oven, leading to faster searing."

Does that really mean that I roast them uncovered for an hour or whatever? They're 1.5" thick, nice chops, if that matters but it just seems wrong to me not to cover them. I feel like they would get too dry -not just surface dry.

Trust Kenji, right?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's the right idea, you roast them low and uncovered to bring the core up to temperature and dry off the surface.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vulturesrow posted:

Bag of frozen veg, coconut milk, tomato paste and curry powder.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Chemmy posted:

That's the right idea, you roast them low and uncovered to bring the core up to temperature and dry off the surface.

It worked really well. Perfect chops.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I really love murgh makhani (Indian butter chicken) and I've tried a couple times to make it at home but it keeps turning out wrong. I tried this recipe and another one that was pretty similar. The sauce keeps turning out way too acidic and tomato-y, or at least much more acidic and tomato-y than any butter chicken I've had from an Indian restaurant. Any ideas/tips? I'm a lousy cook and have no experience making Indian food so there are probably lots of things I could have done wrong.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

HondaCivet posted:

I really love murgh makhani (Indian butter chicken) and I've tried a couple times to make it at home but it keeps turning out wrong. I tried this recipe and another one that was pretty similar. The sauce keeps turning out way too acidic and tomato-y, or at least much more acidic and tomato-y than any butter chicken I've had from an Indian restaurant. Any ideas/tips? I'm a lousy cook and have no experience making Indian food so there are probably lots of things I could have done wrong.

What a coincidence, I just made butter chicken yesterday. I know roughly how it is supposed to taste but we don't have many Indian restaurant over here so maybe it won't be to your taste. Anyway the recipe I used was very tasty from here: http://ekantcookcurry.com/murgh-makhani/
I think it is a simplified recipe so bare with me.

As for your curry turning too acidic, I think it must come from the tomatoes. Where they not ripe enough maybe?

He has all the other common curries on there as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Le0 posted:

What a coincidence, I just made butter chicken yesterday. I know roughly how it is supposed to taste but we don't have many Indian restaurant over here so maybe it won't be to your taste. Anyway the recipe I used was very tasty from here: http://ekantcookcurry.com/murgh-makhani/
I think it is a simplified recipe so bare with me.

As for your curry turning too acidic, I think it must come from the tomatoes. Where they not ripe enough maybe?

He has all the other common curries on there as well.

That recipe doesn't even have fenugreek! That is like the one thing that makes butter chicken taste like butter chicken. Doesn't look terrible though. Be sure to add copious amounts of hot peppers.

It also seems to be missing ghee. The best butter chicken dishes I've had always have been a big greasy mess.

I hate ordering butter chicken at a place and getting chicken tikka instead.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Bob Morales posted:

That recipe doesn't even have fenugreek! That is like the one thing that makes butter chicken taste like butter chicken. Doesn't look terrible though. Be sure to add copious amounts of hot peppers.

It also seems to be missing ghee. The best butter chicken dishes I've had always have been a big greasy mess.

So what about the one I posted? Is that pretty close? If so, how do I avoid it tasting too acidic and tomato-y?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Bob Morales posted:

Hehe ok, I'm no expert at this. If you find a good recipe not too complicated I'd love to give it a try. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

So what about the one I posted? Is that pretty close? If so, how do I avoid it tasting too acidic and tomato-y?

Didn't see that one until just now but that looks more like I'm familiar with - you could add sugar or baking soda to make it less acidic, and don't add the skins/seeds of the tomato.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm making the slow cooked chicken tomatillo tacos tomorrow, from Serious Eats.

I plan on making the tomatillo sauce in advance this evening. Would there be any harm in throwing the chicken in with the sauce to marinate overnight, or do I risk some reaction from the lime juice? (or is it just plain not needed since it'll be slow cooking anyway?)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Both of these dishes are usually made for non-Indians, so they vary enormously. Chicken Tikka is the #1 takeout dish in London, and I remember reading about a survey they did of London restaurants that serve it, where they got a list of the ingredients. Across like 50 restaurants, the ONLY ingredient that was common to every recipe was chicken. That's it, just chicken.

That said, I certainly wouldn't make either dish at home without fenugreek.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Both of these dishes are usually made for non-Indians, so they vary enormously. Chicken Tikka is the #1 takeout dish in London, and I remember reading about a survey they did of London restaurants that serve it, where they got a list of the ingredients. Across like 50 restaurants, the ONLY ingredient that was common to every recipe was chicken. That's it, just chicken.

That said, I certainly wouldn't make either dish at home without fenugreek.

It seems like around here, we only have a few Indian restaurants, and they almost all use the same sauce mix. I suspect they order all their stuff from the same place, like Chinese restaurants when I see those same copper-colored serving dishes.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

me your dad posted:

I'm making the slow cooked chicken tomatillo tacos tomorrow, from Serious Eats.

I plan on making the tomatillo sauce in advance this evening. Would there be any harm in throwing the chicken in with the sauce to marinate overnight, or do I risk some reaction from the lime juice? (or is it just plain not needed since it'll be slow cooking anyway?)

No harm, but not necessary. :)

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Does anyone know of a good recipe book for chicken wings (particularly buffalo and other hot varieties)? My best friend is a huge wing lover and I'd like to get him one as a gift. Bonus points if it focuses on fried wing recipes as he recently acquired a deep fryer.

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?
I just discovered a Mediterranean deli in my neighborhood. I'm in the store currently, and it is seriously stocked with all sorts of interesting bags and jars in a foreign language. What are the best/most essential raw ingredients/goods to buy to start making some medi-delicacies?

My urge to buy pickled everything is rising.

obliviums fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

spregalia posted:

Does anyone know of a good recipe book for chicken wings (particularly buffalo and other hot varieties)? My best friend is a huge wing lover and I'd like to get him one as a gift. Bonus points if it focuses on fried wing recipes as he recently acquired a deep fryer.

The recipe for cooking the wings is going to be the same in every case. Maybe consider getting him a book on making and canning hot sauces/barbecue sauces instead? That's really the only thing that changes from recipe to recipe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The recipe for cooking the wings is going to be the same in every case. Maybe consider getting him a book on making and canning hot sauces/barbecue sauces instead? That's really the only thing that changes from recipe to recipe.

Yea, other than coatings (or not using a coating) and the sauce there's not much to it. Flour vs cornstarch, fry once vs fry twice...

Then there's Franks or Louisiana hot sauce + butter vs trying to be BWW's and making your own garlic-thai-butter-parmesean-jerk sauce.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Crystal+ butter.

Crystal beats Franks by a mile. :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have an opinion on what the best brand of nam prik pao is? I finally got the actual name of what my local restaurants call "hot oil" and now I'm dying to have it in my fridge.

Also if the "best brand" is like $20 for a 1oz jar or something ridiculous, what is the best brand for the money? I assume that they'll all taste similar since it's just chili flakes in sesame oil but what do I know

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on what the best brand of nam prik pao is? I finally got the actual name of what my local restaurants call "hot oil" and now I'm dying to have it in my fridge.

Also if the "best brand" is like $20 for a 1oz jar or something ridiculous, what is the best brand for the money? I assume that they'll all taste similar since it's just chili flakes in sesame oil but what do I know

http://shesimmers.com/2011/01/nam-prik-pao-thai-chilli-jam-secret.html

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Excellent, cheers!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It seems like around here, we only have a few Indian restaurants, and they almost all use the same sauce mix. I suspect they order all their stuff from the same place, like Chinese restaurants when I see those same copper-colored serving dishes.

Ug, tough luck. In Boston we are have a good selection of Indian restaurants that do everything from scratch, including the paneer. The woman and I have our three favorites in regular rotation, and the flavors vary from place to place in good ways.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's probably a more accurate way to describe what I want to get him. I've already explained the basics of buffalo sauce, but figured a list of other wing sauces couldn't hurt.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I saw a bit in an episode of Louie where he goes on a date at Russ and Daughters in NYC (a Jewish appetizing store, sells salted/smoked/pickled fish, caviar, etc). It all looked incredibly tasty and I was wondering if this kind of place exists outside of NYC. Is there anything like this on the west coast?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I made this with shiitakes and it was fantastic: http://joythebaker.com/2013/10/mushroom-and-brussels-sprout-hash/

I was worried the lemon was going to be weird, but it really made the dish.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

geetee posted:

I made this with shiitakes and it was fantastic: http://joythebaker.com/2013/10/mushroom-and-brussels-sprout-hash/

I was worried the lemon was going to be weird, but it really made the dish.

Holy poo poo, that looks really good. I'd probably put a little cheese because I'm a fatass, though.

THanks for the link.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

canoshiz posted:

I saw a bit in an episode of Louie where he goes on a date at Russ and Daughters in NYC (a Jewish appetizing store, sells salted/smoked/pickled fish, caviar, etc). It all looked incredibly tasty and I was wondering if this kind of place exists outside of NYC. Is there anything like this on the west coast?
If you can't find the specific Jewish store, try to find an Eastern European store that caters to Russians, Ukranians, Polish, etc. They'll have a fair few of the same things you'll find at most New York Ashkenaz stores.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

obliviums posted:

I just discovered a Mediterranean deli in my neighborhood. I'm in the store currently, and it is seriously stocked with all sorts of interesting bags and jars in a foreign language. What are the best/most essential raw ingredients/goods to buy to start making some medi-delicacies?

My urge to buy pickled everything is rising.

Follow your urge. My local Med market is the only place I go for for kalamatas and good feta anymore.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What's the best way to store whole or cut roots (like ginger)? I try and keep ginger root around all the time for my stomach, but it seems to go soft and unimpressive pretty fast in the fridge, and I'd like to be able to buy more than a few days' worth at a time.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Grrl Anachronism posted:

What's the best way to store whole or cut roots (like ginger)? I try and keep ginger root around all the time for my stomach, but it seems to go soft and unimpressive pretty fast in the fridge, and I'd like to be able to buy more than a few days' worth at a time.

Put ginger in the freezer. It'll keep forever and anything you want to use ginger in probably involves cutting it into small bits and heating it, so it being frozen isn't an issue. I peel it before freezing it but I'm not sure that's necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

Put ginger in the freezer. It'll keep forever and anything you want to use ginger in probably involves cutting it into small bits and heating it, so it being frozen isn't an issue. I peel it before freezing it but I'm not sure that's necessary.

I'm actually eating most of it raw, peeled, and cut into matchsticks or thin slices. I don't enjoy the taste of cooked ginger or ginger tea much but it's a lifesaver for nausea. Would it suffer if I cut it before putting it in? I imagine it might be a little difficult to cut once it freezes solid.