Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Are there any really solid furniture mods? I've recently started fiddling with sprite art and making packs of different styles of furniture sounds like something that would be fun when I get burned out on other projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Pilchenstein posted:

Nice, can you actually script the interface now or is that just a container with the first slot displayed differently?

The background with the arrows is just a plain old .png image, the layout of the tiles and other bits and pieces is in a config file and I did the removing/adding items with a lua script. It's kind of all over the place but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

mutata posted:

Are there any really solid furniture mods? I've recently started fiddling with sprite art and making packs of different styles of furniture sounds like something that would be fun when I get burned out on other projects.

The IKEA-pack seems to be pretty decent.
Sorry, OKEA.

http://forums.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/pixel-goods-store.1348/

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Thrasophius posted:

How is the underground in starbound now? Do you still have to dig a fair amount to reach any meaningful cave? Or have they made it more terraria like where caves generally go pretty far underground to caverns?

It's pretty easy to find a cavern, go as deep as it allows, dig 30 or so tiles in any direction and find a new one. Rinse and repeat til you hit magma.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I just went on one of those Wikipedia this-leads-to-that dives and read about the theory of generating an artificial magnetosphere on other planets by doing poo poo with the planetary core. Long story short, they sooooooo need to do something with planetary cores in this game.

Actually, they could even make that the climactic mission of the first sector: claim an uninhabitable planet as your home base, do some terraforming to make it superficially habitable, and then go to the core and do some sciencey poo poo to reduce the radiation hazard to 0 and remove meteor shower weather.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Holy hell.

Never seen this before. The creepy part that doesn't come across in the picture is that the Agarans were all jumping around like mad in there, but the moment I opened the door they all stopped and stared at me.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I think that is one of the new Agaran villages that came with one of the most recent updates.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Yeah, seems it's a build up to the whole Agaran invasion or whatever they have planned in that big event.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Azzents posted:

Yeah, seems it's a build up to the whole Agaran invasion or whatever they have planned in that big event.

So first we had Agarans with Floran prisoners. Now we have destroyed homes and shroomified Apex pods. I wonder if each update will have the Agarans besiege a new race.

Who'll be next...?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rocketlex posted:

So first we had Agarans with Floran prisoners. Now we have destroyed homes and shroomified Apex pods. I wonder if each update will have the Agarans besiege a new race.

Who'll be next...?

Agarans with Hylotl slaves in the ocean biome update. Chucklefish tricks everyone into thinking it is about Agarans and sneaks in the Hylotl villages.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

My homeworld has a small Agaran settlement on it. Guess I'll have to start watching my back.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Delsaber posted:

My homeworld has a small Agaran settlement on it. Guess I'll have to start watching my back.

I got tired of seeing Agarans torturing/murdering/dancing after murdering people and now I just kill them for their silly hats. They seem to be WAY more commonplace than they used to.

Has anyone else seen the Heck biome? My homeworld has a huge one and I came out of it with 600 meat chunks and an absurdly Satanic-looking altar. Also, brain blocks and "welcome to Heck" signs. First time I'd ever seen that particular biome.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

I Said No posted:

The background with the arrows is just a plain old .png image, the layout of the tiles and other bits and pieces is in a config file and I did the removing/adding items with a lua script. It's kind of all over the place but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.
Cool, I'd been waiting for the ability to attach scripts directly to the ui but as soon as I saw that gif I realised exactly how you'd gotten around it. Nice work.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oh, posted this everywhere but here:

Just released an update to me Peglaci mod that includes something like 16 new tiles/3 objects (adding more later) and I set up a little contest for it:

-If you design a self contained house/bar/hot tub party/hotel, it will be officially included in Peglaci villages (once those are released). The more entries I get, the better villages will be!
-All of their new tiles can (for contest reasons!) be found in the 3D Printer - it will contain an item for 1 pixel called Peglaci Box: that it the crafting table for all new tiles and objects (all free!)
-The rules are as follows:
--Dimensions: 20 * 50 tiles - absolute maximum size, no larger, but as small as you want.
--Must be at least half composed of Peglaci tiles - you can also use ice/geometric/biome/metal/wood tiles, but nothing specifically tied to other races. Like no avian rune tiles or floran tiles.
--Whatever objects you want included - I'll be releasing more Peglaci objects (chairs/tables/heaters/lights/whatnot) in the next little while, but for now just fill it with stuff you like.
--Ideally have a theme for any room you submit and title it/give me a little description.
--Take a screenshot that shows the entire area so I can try to recreate it.

If you're intested, the mod is here.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
That Agaran village is cool, but what's going on with playable character villages? I know they're working on the ocean realm but I'm ready for some human villages and what not :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shnooks posted:

That Agaran village is cool, but what's going on with playable character villages? I know they're working on the ocean realm but I'm ready for some human villages and what not :(
The penal colonies are the human villages :unsmigghh:

I wanna see some oceans on planets. Make some 2D continents and poo poo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

Oh, posted this everywhere but here:

Just released an update to me Peglaci mod that includes something like 16 new tiles/3 objects (adding more later) and I set up a little contest for it:

-If you design a self contained house/bar/hot tub party/hotel, it will be officially included in Peglaci villages (once those are released). The more entries I get, the better villages will be!
-All of their new tiles can (for contest reasons!) be found in the 3D Printer - it will contain an item for 1 pixel called Peglaci Box: that it the crafting table for all new tiles and objects (all free!)
-The rules are as follows:
--Dimensions: 20 * 50 tiles - absolute maximum size, no larger, but as small as you want.
--Must be at least half composed of Peglaci tiles - you can also use ice/geometric/biome/metal/wood tiles, but nothing specifically tied to other races. Like no avian rune tiles or floran tiles.
--Whatever objects you want included - I'll be releasing more Peglaci objects (chairs/tables/heaters/lights/whatnot) in the next little while, but for now just fill it with stuff you like.
--Ideally have a theme for any room you submit and title it/give me a little description.
--Take a screenshot that shows the entire area so I can try to recreate it.

If you're intested, the mod is here.

Oh cool, did you figure out how to make settlements then?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Azzents posted:

Treating patches from a gameplay perspective of "the universe is changing and evolving" is a really cool idea. Reminds me of the "world history" of Log Horizon.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Shoehead posted:

Oh cool, did you figure out how to make settlements then?

Not yet, though I know enough about them to do some preliminary design work on them. From what I've seen, the designing is almost the hardest part.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Preemptively railgun mech-ing every Agaran settlment I come across. For the glory of Christ.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

Not yet, though I know enough about them to do some preliminary design work on them. From what I've seen, the designing is almost the hardest part.

Yeah I'm making mine literally semi-detached human houses because I'm lazy and I could fit it in lore wise. :v:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Is there a definitive decorative block crafting/cross-converting mod for the current version?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Dandywalken posted:

Preemptively railgun mech-ing every Agaran settlment I come across. For the glory of The Emperor.

Suffer not the alien to live.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I'm sure there are probably tons of bug discussions throughout this thread, but I was wondering if someone could direct me where to find information about this bug that happened. I finally started playing again after they completed all their character wipes, and I've been hosting a multiplayer server and playing with my brother. Out of nowhere tonight he lagged out and then my server bugged out and now when I log back in my character appears on my ship and the entire area surrounding the ship is just black. I can run around and do stuff on the ship, but when I warp to the planet my guy disappears and that's it.

When doing this on multiplayer the server command prompt screen listed a bunch of errors that made no sense, and it also gives me the "client server connection is no longer valid" message. When I try to load the character in single player I get the blackness outside the ship and warping to nothing error also. Is everything completely corrupted now? What the hell can I do to fix this? Back when I played Terraria some issue happened with my world file and I lost everything, and now this is happening right as I get back in this game. I realize this is beta but it's frustrating just losing everything for no apparent reason out of nowhere when you put a lot of work into making progress.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

diarmuidqq posted:

It's pretty easy to find a cavern, go as deep as it allows, dig 30 or so tiles in any direction and find a new one. Rinse and repeat til you hit magma.

Sounds easier than the last time I played, I just never seemed to get any cave that went more then 20 blocks down. That or I'm very unlucky.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

nosleep posted:

I'm sure there are probably tons of bug discussions throughout this thread, but I was wondering if someone could direct me where to find information about this bug that happened. I finally started playing again after they completed all their character wipes, and I've been hosting a multiplayer server and playing with my brother. Out of nowhere tonight he lagged out and then my server bugged out and now when I log back in my character appears on my ship and the entire area surrounding the ship is just black. I can run around and do stuff on the ship, but when I warp to the planet my guy disappears and that's it.

When doing this on multiplayer the server command prompt screen listed a bunch of errors that made no sense, and it also gives me the "client server connection is no longer valid" message. When I try to load the character in single player I get the blackness outside the ship and warping to nothing error also. Is everything completely corrupted now? What the hell can I do to fix this? Back when I played Terraria some issue happened with my world file and I lost everything, and now this is happening right as I get back in this game. I realize this is beta but it's frustrating just losing everything for no apparent reason out of nowhere when you put a lot of work into making progress.
I've not heard of this happening before but I'd try deleting your shipworld file. I'm phone posting, so I can't give exact instructions but I think it's in a folder called "characters"?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Pilchenstein posted:

I've not heard of this happening before but I'd try deleting your shipworld file. I'm phone posting, so I can't give exact instructions but I think it's in a folder called "characters"?

I had a bug that was similar, but the game would outright crash when you tried to open the ship console to fly to another planet or beam home. In that case, my universe was corrupted and I fixed it by deleting the universe. The background of the ship was also all black.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Does this mean everything is lost? It looks like deleting the shipworld file deletes your ship contents, would deleting the universe file delete the contents of your planets? We kind of had a nice home planet set up with a food and tree farm and a couple other things, I hate to lose it. I hate that this has happened to me so many times between Terraria and Starbound, just trying to build a good character and spend the time building up a ship/base etc and you just lose it for some stupid rear end bug that is unfixable.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Haven't played since the first week or so of beta, looks like the game's doing good.. Can't wait for the full, final release package.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nosleep posted:

Does this mean everything is lost? It looks like deleting the shipworld file deletes your ship contents, would deleting the universe file delete the contents of your planets? We kind of had a nice home planet set up with a food and tree farm and a couple other things, I hate to lose it. I hate that this has happened to me so many times between Terraria and Starbound, just trying to build a good character and spend the time building up a ship/base etc and you just lose it for some stupid rear end bug that is unfixable.

It's a beta.

You can test stuff out by moving the files out of their starbound directories to somewhere else (make a temp copy on the desktop or something.) If moving the .shipworld file doesn't fix it, bring it back and move something else. If you have any idea of the coordinates of your homeworld you can save that .world file and try restoring it after wiping the rest of the universe folder, maybe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah. I've not done much Starbound since closer to Beta launch due to the combination of playing out the Vanilla material and wanting to wait for there to be more substantial and stable stuff to come back to. I haven't played since probably a week to a few days before the Great Ship Locker Crash, though it's been updating on steam either way.

It sucks, and I know it would have driven me crazy if I were still actively playing at the time. But at least at this point of the beta we are allowed to go "It's Beta, what do you expect" without just being mindless assholes about it (Hello, Mechwarrior Online's Beta phase). Phase One is explicitly the "expect horrible fuckups to happen" phase, even if all the updates and dev comments suggesting they hope character wipe quality shakeups are done with can lull players into a false sense of security.

Hell, they intend to have THREE beta phases. As surprisingly put together for an early beta things have been, I wouldn't expect a lack of game shattering mistakes until Phase Three, if they somehow manage to avoid any more at that point.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I was looking around in the spawnable items from the Creative mod (which basically unlocks everything in the game) and came across a codex which implies a 5th boss, called the 'Tentacomet'. It appears to be basically an octopus inside a comet. I don't know if the boss really exists yet, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lobsterpillar posted:

I was looking around in the spawnable items from the Creative mod (which basically unlocks everything in the game) and came across a codex which implies a 5th boss, called the 'Tentacomet'. It appears to be basically an octopus inside a comet. I don't know if the boss really exists yet, though.

He's in the files yeah, he looks pretty cool but I've never bothered to get far enough to fight him.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
He's a planned boss in the future and I dare say he won't be the only one. Maybe he'll have something to do with the human storyline.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Azzents posted:

He's a planned boss in the future and I dare say he won't be the only one. Maybe he'll have something to do with the human storyline.

I was thinking more along the lines it'd be a boss that can appear in asteroid belts.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

Holy hell.

Never seen this before. The creepy part that doesn't come across in the picture is that the Agarans were all jumping around like mad in there, but the moment I opened the door they all stopped and stared at me.

Oh look, vagina plants.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Pretty sure the black background on a ship is a problem with the universe files and not the ship files. Might even just be the one planet you're on. That was the case for me the few times it happened.

If you're interested in keeping other planets intact try going into the universe folder in your directory and looking up the current planet you're on by coordinates and delete the file. The game should generate a new one for the planet. That's how I fixed it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Has anyone else seen the Heck biome? My homeworld has a huge one and I came out of it with 600 meat chunks and an absurdly Satanic-looking altar. Also, brain blocks and "welcome to Heck" signs. First time I'd ever seen that particular biome.

If you're talking about the meat and bone biome, it's been around since launch.

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

Zenzirouj posted:

If you're talking about the meat and bone biome, it's been around since launch.

No, I'm pretty sure they're different- the heck biome has flesh and brain, no bones. Plus there are weird horrible red heck pillars and the like to be found in them.

Related: X: 82517329 Y: -71506447 in Sector X. You're looking for X RANA 32 I c.

It is a desert planet with a surface rainbow biome and an underground heck biome. There is also an Apex settlement to be found about halfway around the planet.

It's a level 10 planet, though, so you've been warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Finger Wagon posted:

No, I'm pretty sure they're different- the heck biome has flesh and brain, no bones. Plus there are weird horrible red heck pillars and the like to be found in them.

Yeah, the Heck biome is extremely distinctive and immediately recognizable. It is full of plants made of meat and everything is lit in a hellish, dull red glow.

• Locked thread