Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just want to know how the hell that's supposed to be Drew Barrymore. It doesn't actually look like anyone. It's just a generic, airbrushed blonde person with a surprising number of neck tendons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Trump posted:

Have DC just given up? They really have no loving clue how to market/protect their franchises.

I do love this burn towards Marvel/ABC's Agents of SHIELD though

FOX president Kevin Relly posted:

this operatic soap that has a slightly larger-than-life quality. This is not some adjunct companion series. This is the Batman franchise, just backing it up [in chronology].

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Here's another poster for something on TV with a familiar title:

Oh gosh, they just want to set themselves up for failure, don't they? How are you going to stretch Rosemary's Baby into a mini-series? This is like a smaller-scale problem of Hostages, taking an interesting movie-length concept (the President's doctor is forced to be an assassin when her family is taken hostage!) and trying to stretch it into a series.

Not to mention that the source material is still valid and terrifying as all get out.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

LeJackal posted:

Oh gosh, they just want to set themselves up for failure, don't they? How are you going to stretch Rosemary's Baby into a mini-series? This is like a smaller-scale problem of Hostages, taking an interesting movie-length concept (the President's doctor is forced to be an assassin when her family is taken hostage!) and trying to stretch it into a series.

Not to mention that the source material is still valid and terrifying as all get out.

It's NBC. They turned Hannibal into a legitimate horror series- and made serial killers scary again. Let's cut them a little slack until some reviews/pilot comes out.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

It's NBC. They turned Hannibal into a legitimate horror series- and made serial killers scary again. Let's cut them a little slack until some reviews/pilot comes out.

Hannibal kind of works because in the movies/books it was always pretty clear that he was up to major shenanigans before he was revealed as a serial killer. Eating flautists and playing mind games in his time as a consultant for the FBI, that sort of thing, so a series is a pretty natural fit there.

Rosemary's Baby is more self contained, before the events of the movie Rosemary is a relatively normal young wife. The events in the movie itself would be hard-pressed to stretch into a mini-series, particularly on NBC thanks to standards and practices. As for events after the movie, is little baby antichrist going to have adventures at day-care? How is that not going to come off as an Omen rehash?

Also, if you haven't seen Rosemary's Baby go see it now. Its on Netflix streaming and is really fantastic, worth the watch.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Vagabundo posted:

Dude survived Battledome or whatever that American Gladiators knock-off was called and he's got Brooklyn Nine-Nine. He'll be fine.

He makes every movie he is in consistently better.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
It's a 4 hour series. Which means less than 3 hours of actual content. That's about 35 minutes more than the movie. Now shut up you whiny cunts.

Trump fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 24, 2014

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

I just want to know how the hell that's supposed to be Drew Barrymore. It doesn't actually look like anyone. It's just a generic, airbrushed blonde person with a surprising number of neck tendons.

Looks like it isn't even a single person, one persons face slapped on another persons body.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Trump posted:

It's a 4 hour series. Which means less than 3 hours of actual content. That's about 35 minutes more than the more. Now shut up you whiny cunts.

It's just one guy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

Don't forget Awake, which took what could have been a great movie and stretched it into a completely forgetabble procedural that did almost nothing with its gimmick.

LeJackal posted:

Hannibal kind of works because in the movies/books it was always pretty clear that he was up to major shenanigans before he was revealed as a serial killer. Eating flautists and playing mind games in his time as a consultant for the FBI, that sort of thing, so a series is a pretty natural fit there.

Rosemary's Baby is more self contained, before the events of the movie Rosemary is a relatively normal young wife. The events in the movie itself would be hard-pressed to stretch into a mini-series, particularly on NBC thanks to standards and practices. As for events after the movie, is little baby antichrist going to have adventures at day-care? How is that not going to come off as an Omen rehash?

Also, if you haven't seen Rosemary's Baby go see it now. Its on Netflix streaming and is really fantastic, worth the watch.

Hannibal was a pretty daunting undertaking because Hopkins' take on the character was so iconic, and they managed to not only rival if not surpass that with their own take but also subverted it and the imagery of its respective films for their own uses.

Rosemary's Baby could be similarly rich in opportunities for reinvention because at its heart the movie is about gender roles, parenthood, and the conflict between old and new generations. All of those are still huge topics of discussion in today's day and age and are also radically different than they were when the original movie was made, so long as they do their own thing with it it could say a lot of things and be a completely separate beast from the film.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hannibal was a pretty daunting undertaking because Hopkins' take on the character was so iconic, and they managed to not only rival if not surpass that with their own take but also subverted it and the imagery of its respective films for their own uses.

It's comparable to Ledger/Nicholson's Joker. Nicholson's was hailed at the time, but now it's almost laughable when the two are put side by side.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CaptainHollywood posted:

It's comparable to Ledger/Nicholson's Joker. Nicholson's was hailed at the time, but now it's almost laughable when the two are put side by side.

To who, fourteen year olds? Nicholson's Joker is still iconic.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Eh. I'm twenty, and I think Nicholson's performance is fun, but it's got nothing on Ledger's.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nicholson's Joker is vastly more camp than Ledger's. Not that it's a bad thing in any way, but Ledger has pretty plainly supplanted him in the public consciousness.

I wouldn't say that Hopkins' performance is laughable at all in comparison to Mads' performance, but there are definite areas where Mads just loving owns the role in ways Hopkins never did. Compare, say, the moment in Silence where Lecter kills the guards for his cell to the moment in the latest episode of Hannibal where Lecter corners an FBI agent in his basement, and there's this moment where he's standing as a silent figure before he just goes, killing the lights and darting into the shadows like some sort of loving animal and it highlights how even though Hopkins may have had the demeanor down, Mads has a physicality to it that Hopkins can't loving touch.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Speaking of camp. How does Dick Tracey look now? I saw it in the theaters, and I honestly can't remember anything other than Dustin Hoffman.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

schwenz posted:

Speaking of camp. How does Dick Tracey look now? I saw it in the theaters, and I honestly can't remember anything other than Dustin Hoffman.

It's still cool. The sets and makeup look incredible.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Should I start watching Hannibal? I have an aversion to network television in general.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hannibal is incredibly gorgeously filmed and impeccably acted. Just a warning though, it is SUPER gory.

schwenz posted:

The whole thing comes off as just odd. A lot of stuff is cartoony and fake but then you have Madonna vamping around in semi-transparent dress.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Rosemary's Baby could be similarly rich in opportunities for reinvention because at its heart the movie is about gender roles, parenthood, and the conflict between old and new generations. All of those are still huge topics of discussion in today's day and age and are also radically different than they were when the original movie was made, so long as they do their own thing with it it could say a lot of things and be a completely separate beast from the film.

Just as long as everyone ignores the sequel. (The author of the original novel wrote a sequel where the titular baby grows up and its just awful.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Chief posted:

Should I start watching Hannibal? I have an aversion to network television in general.

Hannibal is basically a premium cable show minus the pointless gratuitous nudity and sex scenes. It's smart and scary and shockingly gruesome without ever feeling gratuitous or creepily voyeuristic; Bryan Fuller explicitly avoided putting any sexualized violence in it.

The only problem is that it has an exclusivity deal with Amazon Prime so if you're in America it's the only streaming service to watch it on.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

schwenz posted:

I think it's pretty drat cool. My dad has a VHS copy, we watch it every now and then. The aesthetic is just nailed, the sets are all great, the actors play their roles perfectly.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

It's still a wonder how the show airs on NBC.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well I'm about to stop watching The Walking Dead because it's loving terrible so I'll pick Hannibal up in its stead.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Well I'm about to stop watching The Walking Dead because it's loving terrible so I'll pick Hannibal up in its stead.

You won't regret it. (except for when Hannibal potentially gets cancelled this season)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CaptainHollywood posted:

The answer to any question involving NBC can be answered with "Because NBC is incompetent."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Dick Tracy owns just for the matte paintings.

:swoon:

CaptainHollywood posted:

The show has comparatively low ratings but a huge percentage of that are people with annual incomes of $100k+ so it attracts a lot of high-end advertising revenue and tie-ins. It's also an international co-production so NBC only has to foot a part of the bill, and since several cable networks have said that they'll snap up Hannibal if it ever gets cancelled so NBC has reason to keep it just to spite the competition.

Also NBC is in ratings freefall so shows that would be cancelled on any other network just keep going. See also: Community.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love Ledger's Joker as a beautifully twisted, scary, and brilliantly gifted anarchist villain, but Nicholson's Joker is an actual insane clown. Nicholson was more the Joker you would have seen in the comics while Ledger's had never been seen before.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hannibal's ratings are also not as bad as they could be considering its in the Death Slot and it's a critical darling on top of that. I mean, it's still got a nonzero chance of cancellation, but that has less to do with the show itself and more to do with naked incompetence within NBC.

muscles like this? posted:

Hannibal is incredibly gorgeously filmed and impeccably acted. Just a warning though, it is SUPER gory.

As an addendum to this, it's got this glorious surreal baroque-ness to it that a lot of similar shows try and fail to land, the murder scenes have much more in common with nightmares or fever dreams than they do with any sort of real murders and it's wonderfully, viscerally horrifying. My personal favorites are the mushroom garden in the first season or the guy who wakes up sewn into a corpse mural in this season's second episode as "oh god what the gently caress" stand-outs.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

mr. stefan posted:

Hannibal's ratings are also not as bad as they could be considering its in the Death Slot and it's a critical darling on top of that. I mean, it's still got a nonzero chance of cancellation, but that has less to do with the show itself and more to do with naked incompetence within NBC.

As an addendum to this, it's got this glorious surreal baroque-ness to it that a lot of similar shows try and fail to land, the murder scenes have much more in common with nightmares or fever dreams than they do with any sort of real murders and it's wonderfully, viscerally horrifying. My personal favorites are the mushroom garden in the first season or the guy who wakes up sewn into a corpse mural in this season's second episode as "oh god what the gently caress" stand-outs.

:stare: I tried watching the first episode and got bored but I think I'm going to have to give it another go....

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Hannibal's setting within PG-13 makes the murders far more shocking than you'd expect, in part for you not expecting them to be able to go there plus the power of suggestion just gives your brain oodles of room to fill in just how demented the acts are.

It takes a while for it to get settled in.

Edit: also Mads being able to play Lecter during where he was at his peak, something we only saw a glimpse of in the Hopkins films as he's mostly incarcerated or on the run, imbues him with a fantastic aura of terror.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 24, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Awesome movie posters guys. Well done. :thumbsup:

So here's a poster done by Tom Hodge.

The movie's probably going to loving blow.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In their Jack & Jill review they guessed that Adam Sandler uses movies like this to take his family and friends on vacation on somebody else's dollar (like the Carnival cruise in Jack &Jill) so Blended is basically Adam Sandler's Family Trip to Africa: Brought to You By Warner Bros.

They also mention in that review how most of his movies are just hour-long commercials. Blended seems like a good commercial for Sun City in South Africa (where it was filmed), so he probably got a lot of cash for that. And it's cheap to film there.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Hannibal is basically a premium cable show minus the pointless gratuitous nudity and sex scenes. It's smart and scary and shockingly gruesome without ever feeling gratuitous or creepily voyeuristic; Bryan Fuller explicitly avoided putting any sexualized violence in it.

Don't be so scared of sex, it's pretty natural. Also it's characterization in the first episodes are as clumsy as they come on network tv.

Davros1 posted:

I do love this burn towards Marvel/ABC's Agents of SHIELD though

Is that a burn? I see it as someone completely missing the point.

Trump fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 24, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Trump posted:

Don't be so scared of sex, it's pretty natural.

Rape culture = not being a prude, you heard it here first everybody.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Rape culture = not being a prude, you heard it here first everybody.

People actually use that expression unironically?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Trump posted:

People actually use that expression unironically?

Rape culture is an actual thing studied by actual sociologists, even if the term has been run into the ground by the tumblr generation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So thanks to staying up way too late while Cinemax was on I have a new favorite movie in Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. I originally started watching it just as sort of a joke but I soon realized that it's actually a really loving well made film. The action is beyond brutal with great fight scenes and nary a CG effect to be found and the film itself is surprisingly creepy. I really hope more people see this as it's probably one of the best action flicks I've seen in a long while. Anyhow let's see the posters:

No, no, and no. All awful, none represent the movie one bit. Hell I don't think there's even a single explosion in the film. But then I found these great character posters:

loving perfect. These guys are jacked, sweaty, tired, and insane. The pseudo-religious symbolism going on in the background of the bottom one is perfect too as Van Damme's character is basically starting a cult filled with these freed government super soldiers. Great movie and makes me want to see Regeneration which was made by the same guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You absolutely should watch Regeneration.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Yodzilla posted:

loving perfect. These guys are jacked, sweaty, tired, and insane. The pseudo-religious symbolism going on in the background of the bottom one is perfect too as Van Damme's character is basically starting a cult filled with these freed government super soldiers. Great movie and makes me want to see Regeneration which was made by the same guy.

The copy+paste of the cliché sparks graphic in the lower left corner is pretty blatant, but other than that I see no problem with these.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Days of Future Past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past

Stewart's little floaty seat is hilarious.