Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is buying a 2000 gc8 a bad idea? I have someone telling me that they have a weak turbo/awd system which sounds like hes bullshitting because he's also saying that they don't have cruise control and are therefore poo poo, when I know for a fact that it was atleast an option because I had a 97 RX with it, which makes me think he's full of poo poo. I don't care about cruise control either way but I guess they are old and there could be some truth to the turbo/awd bit? Anything to worry about? I've wanted a gc8 wrx since I was like 5 but I can easily save a little more and get a bug/blobeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Neptr posted:

I don't think you need a thin wall socket, but it does need to be deep.

That's what she told me

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is buying a 2000 gc8 a bad idea? I have someone telling me that they have a weak turbo/awd system which sounds like hes bullshitting because he's also saying that they don't have cruise control and are therefore poo poo, when I know for a fact that it was atleast an option because I had a 97 RX with it, which makes me think he's full of poo poo. I don't care about cruise control either way but I guess they are old and there could be some truth to the turbo/awd bit? Anything to worry about? I've wanted a gc8 wrx since I was like 5 but I can easily save a little more and get a bug/blobeye.

The EJ20k was an awesome engine...15 years ago. I'm not familiar with the turbo's used on older imprezas. I think the td04 was used for some time before the 2002 WRX. What country are you in? UK, Australia?

The 4.44 FD transmission from the older WRX's is awesome. IIRC it was the same basic one used in the non-RA STi.

The big disadvantages of the GC's are similar to any car; rust, equipment age, abuse due to modifications or lack of maintenance. The disadvantage unique to the GC is the chassis. The GD chassis is way stiffer than the GC.

dayman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 24, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dayman posted:

The EJ20k was an awesome engine...15 years ago. I'm not familiar with the turbo's used on older imprezas. I think the td04 was used for some time before the 2002 WRX. What country are you in? UK, Australia?

The 4.44 FD transmission from the older WRX's is awesome. IIRC it was the same basic one used in the non-RA STi.

The big disadvantages of the GC's are similar to any car; rust, equipment age, abuse due to modifications or lack of maintenance. The disadvantage unique to the GC is the chassis. The GD chassis is way stiffer than the GC.

The general rule of thumb with the EJ20 series seems to be not to upgrade it much and it'll be fine. If you start replacing flow components without tuning it they can poo poo the bed really easily.

The EJ20K (at least on my 98 STI RA V-Limited) runs an IHI VF24 turbo, which is water cooled and uses a roller bearing setup. They're fantastic, used for Group N, don't really offer much past 17psi (stock on my motor), and spool up extremely quickly. The 4.444 final drive in my car is a blast until you need to drive it on the highway. It's mated/inside the R180 rear differential and the 5MT DCCD transmission which seems pretty bulletproof at stock hp/torque numbers. It comes with just a thumbwheel to control rear axle allowed slip compared to the front which is kinda useless unless you're on ice but you can (I have) get a kit from a guy in Eastern Canada that adds algorythmic on-the-fly actuation of the DCCD functionality which takes inputs from a 2-axis g-sensor and the ECU TPS wire to automate it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm an Aussie.

The 22b is like my dream car, but theres no way that I'm ever going to get a road registerable one here (Unless someone wants to lend me 100k) because of the lovely import laws. A GC8 wrx is like the next best thing that's actually affordable for me. They are still everywhere too so parts are easy as to get, if something sti specific broke I don't think I'd be able to easily find a wrecked one that hasn't been picked apart.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 24, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm an Aussie.

The 22b is like my dream car, but theres no way that I'm ever going to get a road registerable one here (Unless someone wants to lend me 100k) because of the lovely import laws. A GC8 wrx is like the next best thing that's actually affordable for me.

Is it pretty easy to come by an RA or R there or are they much more expensive?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 22B is flat out sexin' but if I lived in a right hand drive country I would have a harem of Type-RAs.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I can't really afford the extra ontop of a normal wrx for an R or RA. They are pretty rare here too, I've only ever seen them at big meets, and from what I've heard they are 20k+ which is really more than I can afford to be spend on a car, especially now that I'm looking at putting a deposit down on an apartment/unit and renting that out. Maybe after I finish uni (so 6 years, yay medicine) and get a real job I can look again but that much just isn't a good way to spend my money right now.

E: I should probably clarify, medschools going to put me in a shittone of debt but the way it works here is very different to america, I owe the government that money and they only want money back when you earn a certain amount per year.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 24, 2014

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hey, does anyone know where I could get a good viscous coupling for a 99 impreza outback mt? Mine is shot, and I need it replaced. I have a garage that can do it, but its a 600$ part from the dealer. Plus about 400 bucks to put it in.. im trying to keep the price low.
Ive been hoping to find a new one cheaper elsewhere, but cant find a new one for sale at all. And I cant find anyone with a used one.
Anyone have any leads?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

hedgegnome posted:

Hey, does anyone know where I could get a good viscous coupling for a 99 impreza outback mt? Mine is shot, and I need it replaced. I have a garage that can do it, but its a 600$ part from the dealer. Plus about 400 bucks to put it in.. im trying to keep the price low.
Ive been hoping to find a new one cheaper elsewhere, but cant find a new one for sale at all. And I cant find anyone with a used one.
Anyone have any leads?

Best bet is to roll the dice at a pick and pull lot. Sometimes they'll pull the part for you but I know a lot of those places have a policy of only selling transmissions as complete units. Also, it really isn't that bad to install yourself. Remove the drive shaft, unbolt the back of the transfer case, pull out the old one, shove in the new one, some RTV and slap the whole thing back together.

You could also try NASIOC or RS25. I occasionally see that stuff go up there. Posting a WTB might also cause someone to rethink that tranny they've been saving in order to make a quick 200 on something they can send through the mail.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bojanglesworth posted:

That's what she told me
Best get one with a plastic protective sheath on it, too.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

dayman posted:

Best bet is to roll the dice at a pick and pull lot. Sometimes they'll pull the part for you but I know a lot of those places have a policy of only selling transmissions as complete units. Also, it really isn't that bad to install yourself. Remove the drive shaft, unbolt the back of the transfer case, pull out the old one, shove in the new one, some RTV and slap the whole thing back together.

You could also try NASIOC or RS25. I occasionally see that stuff go up there. Posting a WTB might also cause someone to rethink that tranny they've been saving in order to make a quick 200 on something they can send through the mail.

Im hesitant to try it myself.. I dont really have a good place to work on it. Ill try NASIOC though.. thanks!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
What should I be replacing my gearbox and diff oil with? I've seen too many conflicting things from different forums (NASIOCCCCCC) and am disinclined to make some sort of magical elixir, particularly if Subaru just uses regular old 75w90 semi-synth. It's for an 03 WRX. There's the usual difficulty getting into 1st from any sort of speed, but it's otherwise been trouble free with regards the transmission, but I've had it for about 70k km and haven't changed it yet, so figure it's about due. Would I be committing some sort of sin against FHI if I just picked up whatever's available ( http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-5-l-synthetic-gear-oil-jug-0280248p.html#.UzCC4fljWJE ), or do I need to hunt down something more exotic/expensive/forbidden?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've only ever used 75w90, but I have several quart bottles of Extra-S sitting around waiting to go in whenever I get around to draining the trans.

Some dealers in AB will sell you Extra-S, from what I've heard. Otherwise you're ordering from Boston Motorsports like I did so many years ago.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just have regular 75-90 I got at autozone- Valvolene I think because it came in a gallon container and was cheaper. I always meant to try extra-s but never got around to it because you usually have to buy a 5 gallon drum or order it from somewhere.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

hedgegnome posted:

Im hesitant to try it myself.. I dont really have a good place to work on it. Ill try NASIOC though.. thanks!

If you're dead set against doing it yourself, make sure the garage of your choice will accept customer sourced parts. Lots of them won't or they'll make you waive all rights to warranty on their work.

That being said, you absolutely can do this. You do have to unbolt the shifter linkage and tap out the pin (the one step I left out in the other post), but anyone with a Saturday, jackstands, some basic hand tools and a passing interest in working on cars can do this. There are many step by step guides to this out there. If you decide you might wanna give it a shot i can dig one up for you. If you live in an apt complex you might be able to bribe a NASIOC denizen with some beer to let you use their driveway. If you're in the Boston area, that person can be me.

I hate to see anyone, Subaru owner or no pay $400 for what can be done in an afternoon.

dayman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 24, 2014

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've only ever used 75w90, but I have several quart bottles of Extra-S sitting around waiting to go in whenever I get around to draining the trans.

Some dealers in AB will sell you Extra-S, from what I've heard. Otherwise you're ordering from Boston Motorsports like I did so many years ago.

Huh. The dealership in Edmonton (subaru city) hadn't heard of Extra-s and said that they just use whatever locally sourced 75w90 comes in 5gal jugs. I'm kind of leaning away from finding anything too spendy, because a dealership wouldn't put in something that would cause them to pay out for broken gearboxes later on, would they? :tinfoil:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Simkin posted:

Huh. The dealership in Edmonton (subaru city) hadn't heard of Extra-s and said that they just use whatever locally sourced 75w90 comes in 5gal jugs. I'm kind of leaning away from finding anything too spendy, because a dealership wouldn't put in something that would cause them to pay out for broken gearboxes later on, would they? :tinfoil:

No idea what they are charging but Subaru Extra S can be found on Amazon for ~$15 per quart. This is US though so I don't know how Canada works for shipping.

Also most places only warranty their work for a year so any vaguely similar oil will work for that long. They might not be maliciously loving you but it's not their car.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

dayman posted:

If you're dead set against doing it yourself, make sure the garage of your choice will accept customer sourced parts. Lots of them won't or they'll make you waive all rights to warranty on their work.

That being said, you absolutely can do this. You do have to unbolt the shifter linkage and tap out the pin (the one step I left out in the other post), but anyone with a Saturday, jackstands, some basic hand tools and a passing interest in working on cars can do this. There are many step by step guides to this out there. If you decide you might wanna give it a shot i can dig one up for you. If you live in an apt complex you might be able to bribe a NASIOC denizen with some beer to let you use their driveway. If you're in the Boston area, that person can be me.

I hate to see anyone, Subaru owner or no pay $400 for what can be done in an afternoon.

Thanks for the offer, but im in california :D
And yeah, im in an apartment complex. I think I may actually have a spot i can do it at work, so if I can find the part Ill try it. Now to just find the part..

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

dayman posted:

I'll also extend this offer to anyone willing to drive to Nashua (you too dayman) that would benefit from an indoor workspace with a lift and other fun toys.

I got the car dyno (mustang) tuned today. I never did a "before" run, but I think typical stock numbers are 190whp/190wtq.

I went in with a Cobb Stage2 +SF tune and was able to gain 14whp and 35wtq for final peak numbers of 261whp and 296wtq. It was a pretty even gain across the board, except for low end where I picked up ~60 ft-lbs and ~50whp at ~3100rpm!

Sorry for the crappy picture, it was a cellphone scan of the printout.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 25, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

I've been told Subaru City now stocks it.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
What years can I pull a viscous coupling from to fit my 99 impreza? Ive got a guy asking me if the center diff from an 02-04 wrx will fit. I think it will, is that correct?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

I just have regular 75-90 I got at autozone- Valvolene I think because it came in a gallon container and was cheaper. I always meant to try extra-s but never got around to it because you usually have to buy a 5 gallon drum or order it from somewhere.

It is glorious but didn't save my transmission from blowing up. That said, I'm running like Motul or something now. Extra-S was way better.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

nm posted:

It is glorious but didn't save my transmission from blowing up. That said, I'm running like Motul or something now. Extra-S was way better.

Seconding the love for extra-s. I decided to try motul 300, and it may just be me, but I've had a few more issues with random synchro grinding that before. It's few and far between, but it rarely happened on the previous two fills of extra-s.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
On the MT, the diff and transmission share fluid, right?

Since I have an AT, is there any benefit to using extra-s in my diffs (need to change both), or is plain old 75W90 fine?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

hedgegnome posted:

What years can I pull a viscous coupling from to fit my 99 impreza? Ive got a guy asking me if the center diff from an 02-04 wrx will fit. I think it will, is that correct?

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t96236-how-center-diffs.html

99+ is phase 2. All the diffs are the same amongst phases for 5mts.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Slow is Fast posted:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t96236-how-center-diffs.html

99+ is phase 2. All the diffs are the same amongst phases for 5mts.

This is incidentally the write up I used the first time I did my center diff.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I also did my center diff in my thread last month. It really isn't that hard. Just a pain to deal with the shifter linkage roll pins and seized dowel pins in the casing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are the early 2000's 5-speeds as fragile as people say or is that just a "lolsubaru" joke? I don't really know how to drive stick and I'm looking at an 02 wrx with 170k already on it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Are the early 2000's 5-speeds as fragile as people say or is that just a "lolsubaru" joke? I don't really know how to drive stick and I'm looking at an 02 wrx with 170k already on it

If you drive with a reasonable degree of mechanical sympathy you'll be fine. The problem comes from morons who do full-throttle clutch slams at redline and/or 5000rpm clutch drop launches.

Don't worry about it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I just sold a wrx 5 speed with 300k miles on it. Owned by a rally driver. If you arent constantly slamming gears and shock loading the box or making mad power, they're fine.

Like SSS says, mechanical sympathy.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've been told Subaru City now stocks it.

They deny its very existence. Rally Subaru has it, but only in a 120L barrel that they're unwilling to sell a small fraction of. Oh well.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Hillridge posted:

I'll also extend this offer to anyone willing to drive to Nashua (you too dayman) that would benefit from an indoor workspace with a lift and other fun toys.

drat decent of you sir. I may hold you to that someday. Beer barter system in effect, of course.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Simkin posted:

They deny its very existence. Rally Subaru has it, but only in a 120L barrel that they're unwilling to sell a small fraction of. Oh well.

http://42autosports.3dcartstores.com/Subaru-Extra-S-Factory-Transmission-Fluid_p_14.html
http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-75w90-extra-s-gear-and-transmission-quart-bottle.html

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I guess the next time I come to Canada I need to bring a drum of that stuff. Simkin and SSSwitch can split it.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Hillridge posted:

I got the car dyno (mustang) tuned today. I never did a "before" run, but I think typical stock numbers are 190whp/190wtq.

I went in with a Cobb Stage2 +SF tune and was able to gain 14whp and 35wtq for final peak numbers of 261whp and 296wtq. It was a pretty even gain across the board, except for low end where I picked up ~60 ft-lbs and ~50whp at ~3100rpm!

Sorry for the crappy picture, it was a cellphone scan of the printout.

Looks great! I'm getting the same thing done this Friday w/o the intake. This makes me really excited. Is this for a 09+ WRX?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I guess the next time I come to Canada I need to bring a drum of that stuff. Simkin and SSSwitch can split it.

Hell yeah. I can run an Extra-S pumping business out of my driveway and terrify my neighbors even more than when scruffy people show up in the middle of the day in loud Subarus.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Australian delivered car? Should be okay for rust then. Yes they have cruise control. Turbo I think is a TD04 and if t hasnt been boosted to hell it'll be fine. Gearbox? The 2000 got the upgraded internals, the pre 98's are the ones that are basically glass. TBH tho, they still arent the best but they can take some hard use. Upgrading to a later model gearbox is recommended but ehhhh.... no real biggie.

The more stock the car has been kept, the better it will be. If it still has the stock original exhaust, I'd consider this as utter gold.

Look for any crash damage and signs of abuse. Walk away at the slightest evidence of both.

Enginewise - pretty much as good as the WRX gets reliability-wise. 400,000kms is known to have bene done on them and still going hard.

If you are in Sydney drop me a line if you want KB and myself to have a look over a potential car, we know what to look out for. Or I may well be whereever you are in the coming months, I'm roadtripping in May for work.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
East Brisbane, near Cleveland. (South of the river) If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things would you/should I be looking for?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004
I'll assume it's not that different than turbo model here and say one of the easiest things to spot is the heatshields on the exhaust/downpipe. If they have been removed, cut, or look majorly disturbed, it's probably been hosed with.

If you see any signs of things leaking out of the heads, avoid.

Gearbox is pretty easy if you just drive it. If it feels fucky, it probably is.