Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past
It also looks like some of the Iron Man suits from Iron Man 3 made it into the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Moacher posted:

The copy+paste of the cliché sparks graphic in the lower left corner is pretty blatant, but other than that I see no problem with these.

Haha drat now I can't not see that.

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past

Days of Lots of poo poo Happening

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

morestuff posted:

Stewart's little floaty seat is hilarious.

They've got hoverchairs, but no technology to fix paralysis. No stem cell cocktails. No cybernetic legs. No neural bypass.
They put all their research into cramming anti-gravity technology into about a cubic meter's worth of volume stretched into a chair shape.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

morestuff posted:

Is it just me or does Professor X looks like he's a giant rocket with flames coming out of his rear end?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

G-III posted:

Is it just me or does Professor X looks like he's a giant rocket with flames coming out of his rear end?

Well he does now.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
X-Men: Days of Future Gas

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

morestuff posted:

"Great Poster but uhhh Where's Patrick Stewart"

"gently caress"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Rape culture = not being a prude, you heard it here first everybody.

Being sex positive = supporting rape culture, you heard it here first everybody.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slate Action posted:

It also looks like some of the Iron Man suits from Iron Man 3 made it into the movie?

They're probably Sentinels.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

TheJoker138 posted:

Being sex positive = supporting rape culture, you heard it here first everybody.

You don't see how sexualized violence might be a part of rape-culture TheJoker138?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Vagabundo posted:

They're probably Sentinels.

I know, I was kidding. But imagine someone who hasn't read any of the comic books and isn't clear on the story from all the previous movies, and that person watches the trailer and sees that poster. Are they supposed to understand everything that's going on?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Slate Action posted:

I know, I was kidding. But imagine someone who hasn't read any of the comic books and isn't clear on the story from all the previous movies, and that person watches the trailer and sees that poster. Are they supposed to understand everything that's going on?

Is that the role of a poster though, to make you 'understand' everything that's going on? Isn't it more to pique some interest in some aspect, at least, of the movie? Maybe that naked blue lady, maybe that crippled guy with the gastrointestinal difficulties, maybe seeing Hugh Jackman's genitals replaced with a little Ellen Page...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Mr. Squishy posted:

You don't see how sexualized violence might be a part of rape-culture TheJoker138?

This is not the thread for this discussion.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, this is clearly the best way to respond and not at all annoying.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past

It's a rather dramatic casting decision to replace Hugh Jackman with Tim Robbins as Wolverine.

Also, there's a lot of empty useless space in that poster. It seems like everything is in that center third. I'm wondering if it would be better if they cropped it down a bit.

LeJackal posted:

They've got hoverchairs, but no technology to fix paralysis. No stem cell cocktails. No cybernetic legs. No neural bypass.
They put all their research into cramming anti-gravity technology into about a cubic meter's worth of volume stretched into a chair shape.

It's the problem with any character like that these days. The whole archetype is that they so smart or have such a high degree of mental powers that their body has atrophied or they became smart or mentally-proficient because of a handicap. The character basically traded off physical ability for mental ability. Their handicap defines them in some way, so you have to have Professor X in a hoverwheelchair because he's no longer Professor X without it (which is kinda bullshit since we have young Xavier running around in two films now). Or, ignoring all the alt universe bullshit DC has gotten into, you have Barbara Gordon refuse to accept a cybernetic exosuit to make her walk again for an admittedly noble ideal because it's more empowering for her to crawl around on the ground whenever she inevitably gets knocked out of her chair in a cheap ploy for tension. I mean, what's going to happen when therapeutic exosuits become common place, is Oracle going to still keep that ideal of not taking one until everyone has one or is she going to move the goalposts and claim when poor handicapped homeless people have them?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Awesome movie posters guys. Well done. :thumbsup:

So here's a poster done by Tom Hodge.

The movie's probably going to loving blow.

Man. This art style works for some movies, like say this one or Hobo with a Shotgun, but it seems like every other "B" movie is being released with these hideously garish painted posters and I do not like them at all. The new blu ray covers for Night of the Demons and Darkman are downright amateur and ugly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past

This comes close to being pretty good, but the floaty Professor X and conspicuously large Jennifer Lawrence & Hugh Jackman bring it down.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

This comes close to being pretty good, but the floaty Professor X and conspicuously large Jennifer Lawrence & Hugh Jackman bring it down.

It should come as surprise to no one that a recent oscar winner and the star of the other films in the franchise occupy a large space on the poster.

What should come as a surprise is that someone approved this poster with Professor Firefarts doing his thing there.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
The scale makes Lawrence looks like Dr Manhattan in Vietnam and poor old Charles seems to have been pasted in as an afterthought.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Young Freud posted:

It's the problem with any character like that these days. The whole archetype is that they so smart or have such a high degree of mental powers that their body has atrophied or they became smart or mentally-proficient because of a handicap. The character basically traded off physical ability for mental ability. Their handicap defines them in some way, so you have to have Professor X in a hoverwheelchair because he's no longer Professor X without it (which is kinda bullshit since we have young Xavier running around in two films now). Or, ignoring all the alt universe bullshit DC has gotten into, you have Barbara Gordon refuse to accept a cybernetic exosuit to make her walk again for an admittedly noble ideal because it's more empowering for her to crawl around on the ground whenever she inevitably gets knocked out of her chair in a cheap ploy for tension. I mean, what's going to happen when therapeutic exosuits become common place, is Oracle going to still keep that ideal of not taking one until everyone has one or is she going to move the goalposts and claim when poor handicapped homeless people have them?

This is what I was attempting to convey in a more compact and sarcastic way, so thank you for elaborating on my thoughts.

ruddiger posted:

Man. This art style works for some movies, like say this one or Hobo with a Shotgun, but it seems like every other "B" movie is being released with these hideously garish painted posters and I do not like them at all. The new blu ray covers for Night of the Demons and Darkman are downright amateur and ugly.

I much prefer painted posters to lazily photoshopped floating heads, no matter how hideous they are. Even a badly painted cover has a bit of the artist to them, and its a lot more charming that a coldly clinical souless 'shop.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 24, 2014

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It should come as surprise to no one that a recent oscar winner and the star of the other films in the franchise occupy a large space on the poster.

What should come as a surprise is that someone approved this poster with Professor Firefarts doing his thing there.

So, isn't this film supposed to be about Logan AND Kitty Pryde going back in time? Or did they just decided to remove/downsize Kitty's part entirely?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vargo posted:

So, isn't this film supposed to be about Logan AND Kitty Pryde going back in time? Or did they just decided to remove/downsize Kitty's part entirely?

Kitty isn't really a gigantic part as far as I am aware.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

I disagree with Darkman. It looks like a Comic Book cover, which is appropriate.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

muscles like this? posted:

Hannibal is incredibly gorgeously filmed and impeccably acted. Just a warning though, it is SUPER gory.

Later book spoilers Long as he doesn't get "super powers" like red eyes or being able to do pretty much whatever he wants

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Later book spoilers Long as he doesn't get "super powers" like red eyes or being able to do pretty much whatever he wants

spoilers of Hannibal's season finale.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

It looks like the explosion is rocketing him towards us.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DNS posted:

It looks like the explosion is rocketing him towards us.

My impression was that he was drifting his rocket chair across the frame.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past
:3: that little chair

The Rock tweeted this a bit ago.

He no longer fits on posters

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Barf Wight posted:

:3: that little chair

The Rock tweeted this a bit ago.

He no longer fits on posters

I lost interest in the X-men franchise a long time ago, but I'm really interested in seeing this Hercules.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree with Darkman. It looks like a Comic Book cover, which is appropriate.

The original did too, but pulled it off much better. As it looks now, along with the Night of the Demons poster, it looks like they hired the first guy who looked like he knew how to hold a pen steady to draw it for them. And to top it off, both posters are pretty much the illustrated version of floaty heads/random stills thrown up wherever the illustrator could fit them. Like the more overly-worked Mondo posters, it's just clutter for the sake of clutter with no flow to it.

Man, looking at it again, the original Darkman poster is gorgeous AND tells you everything that needs to be said about the movie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 24, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dwayne Johnson and Hercules good

Brett Ratner bad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Man, looking at it again, the original Darkman poster is gorgeous.

It is one of my favorites. And the best thing about those Blu Rays is, you can flip the artwork around and on the other side is the original poster. So you have your options. But I'm happier to see someone's newly commissioned piece then some slapped photoshop thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

Dwayne Johnson and Hercules good

Brett Ratner bad

Pretty much how I feel. So conflicted.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: nm

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Madkal posted:

Pretty much how I feel. So conflicted.

Ratner is a competent director and I mean that in the loosest term possible. I hope that whatever The Rock does can hide his lovely direction.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

rawillkill posted:

Days of Future Past

I may or may not be drunkposting but I feel that she comes across too short and stocky and pudgy for a mystique silhouette. More Rebecca less Jenny.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 17, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Come on, pudgy? Jennifer Lawrence doesn't have the proportions (especially not the length) of a literal supermodel, but that's going a bit far.

Jennifer if you're reading this I love you if you blink your eyes twice in your next movie I'll know you read this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bung Harmer posted:

Ratner is a competent director and I mean that in the loosest term possible. I hope that whatever The Rock does can hide his lovely direction.

Rush Hours 1 and 2 show that sufficiently charismatic leads can overcome Ratner's deficiencies as a director, so I'm cautiously optimistic, because Dwayne Johnson oozes charisma out of every pore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

davidspackage posted:

Come on, pudgy? Jennifer Lawrence doesn't have the proportions (especially not the length) of a literal supermodel, but that's going a bit far.

Jennifer if you're reading this I love you if you blink your eyes twice in your next movie I'll know you read this

I think it's safe to say he was drunkposting. However, in the morning he will be sober and you'll still be weird.

Like both of you, that is a pretty bad poster. Hugh Jackman plays a mutant whose mutation is having a nipple shaped like James MacAvoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jedit posted:

I think it's safe to say he was drunkposting. However, in the morning he will be sober and you'll still be weird.

Like both of you, that is a pretty bad poster. Hugh Jackman plays a mutant whose mutation is having a nipple shaped like James MacAvoy.

On the plus side, he can shoot model planes out of his claws.