Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

TMMadman posted:

But that can be solved with the standard 'Jinx system'.

Neutral third party holds the item and the first of the jinxed pair to speak forfeits it to the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hope there are cannibals, but I hope they are actual South Pacific Islander cannibals.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Are people trying to rationalize why people being cannibals makes no sense? Uh, if they're cannibals they probably aren't very rational and really like eating people.

My main concern is that twice now this show has literally pulled a 'bus full of extras who've hit the end of their plot-driving utility die in a very implausible manner' and I suspect that Terminus may go for round 3 on that.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 24, 2014

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Alchenar posted:

My main concern is that twice now this show has literally pulled a 'bus full of extras who've hit the end up their plot-driving utility die in a very implausible manner' and I suspect that Terminus may go for round 3 on that.

That was hilarious. They literally put all the extras on a bus and killed them

I hope there are cannibals, or at least some kind of hosed up cult. The governor was boring, this is the god drat apocalypse

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
If there are not insane bikers and cannibal cults around I will feel cheated

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

That was hilarious. They literally put all the extras on a bus and killed them

I hope there are cannibals, or at least some kind of hosed up cult. The governor was boring, this is the god drat apocalypse

Didn't American Dad do exactly that as well?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

If there are not insane bikers and cannibal cults around I will feel cheated

Or maybe they'll just eat Daryl's new group and we can all argue about whether it was immoral or not.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It'll be cannibals, it has to be. I expect at least one speech from their not-Governor saying "THIS IS SURVIVAL WE GOTTA DO WHAT IT TAKES" and a Rick or Michonne retort that if that's survival than humanity doesn't deserve surviving. This show will always go the most cliche and lazy way.

I don't know, it could be some sort of forced breeding camp. I would prefer it not be cannibals since that was done in the video game, but there are only so many different situations you can throw at someone in a post-apoc world.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Maybe they're wizards :smugwizard:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm good with canniblas as long as it's written well and interesting to watch, personally.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I still don't know why Glenn hasn't just gone 'oh yeah, the virus that everyone has which reanimates people, I found that out from the guy at the CDC' every time "We know the secret cause of the zombies and we have a mission" comes up.

Because the writers want to pretend that particular part of Season 1 never happened.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

AndyElusive posted:

Because the writers want to pretend that particular part of Season 1 never happened.

The CDC arc never touched the original cause and/or possible cure. It just dealt with what the virus does to reanimate people after they die.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

xxEightxx posted:

The CDC arc never touched the original cause and/or possible cure. It just dealt with what the virus does to reanimate people after they die.

The last thing the series needs to do is explain the origins of the zombie outbreak or propose a cure. No explanation could live up to the expectations- see Lost, BSG, or any other show with similarly large overarching questions.

Whatever Eugene says about the outbreak is bullshit intended to keep people around him so he himself has a better shot at survival. The show shouldn't deviate much from the human-human interaction. They're the real danger- the zombies are just backdrop.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When Tyreese and Carol meet that group that got attacked by zombies on the railroad, the last survivor said something to the effect of "the children will be safe" at Terminus. Is there a chance that Tyreese will make for a delicious burger?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Siroc posted:

The last thing the series needs to do is explain the origins of the zombie outbreak or propose a cure. No explanation could live up to the expectations- see Lost, BSG, or any other show with similarly large overarching questions.

Whatever Eugene says about the outbreak is bullshit intended to keep people around him so he himself has a better shot at survival. The show shouldn't deviate much from the human-human interaction. They're the real danger- the zombies are just backdrop.

I agree I think the CDC was dumb because it tried to add science to a situation that is pure fantasy. Going further down that road would just invite disaster. I'm sort of hoping Eugene turns out to be a fraud, and that he has lead these people on to ensure his own safety.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was an excellent way for the show to tell us that you should not be thinking of the zombie plague as any type of "realistic" or scientific thing.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

TOOT BOOT posted:

Cannibalism makes no sense in the TWD world given the copious amounts of unlooted supplies everywhere. I'm resigned to the fact that they're probably going to do it anyway though.

Not just cannibals, but (potentially) cannibals who actively go out at night abducting their food, and then advertising their location to everyone else.

Like, either do the venus flytrap thing, or the crazy militant cannibal thing, but both?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Until I can be convinced otherwise, Beth was taken by the Terminus people because they thought Daryl was keeping her against her will and they took her pleas of 'He's my friend' as Stockholm Syndrome. If the Terminus people end up being cannibals and having BBQ'd Beth, I will never watch this show again.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Siroc posted:

Speculation about Terminus from the preview clip:

If they aren't a cannibal group (hell, even if they are), the group might be a very regimented society where every aspect of your life is controlled. I get this impression from what sounded like a loudspeaker emitting what sounded like propaganda in the preview. A work camp, maybe?

Probably too much speculation about a trailer.

This would be pretty neat. Forcing people to choose between the hell of the world at large or the hell of a labor-camp style living would be an interesting dilemma. I really hope it's anything but cannibals who just kill everyone who comes to terminus (after convincing them to disarm and stay) because come on.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I hope Maggie doesn't die because she's the best actress on the show.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I'm wondering if it's not some sort of post-doomsday/rapture cult thing going on, especially since "sanctuary" often has a religious connotation. The creepy lady who greeted them had that semi-vacant Kirk Cameron stare going.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Am I the only one hoping Terminus is an actual safe haven? It'd be interesting to see how relationships develop in a relatively harmless environment, at least for awhile. At the very least, it would make the 'go to DC' decision have some weight and we could lose characters based on that rather than "oh, they're dead now."

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Naet posted:

Am I the only one hoping Terminus is an actual safe haven? It'd be interesting to see how relationships develop in a relatively harmless environment, at least for awhile. At the very least, it would make the 'go to DC' decision have some weight and we could lose characters based on that rather than "oh, they're dead now."

No I want to see it actually be a safe place, relatively speaking. There obviously needs to be some underlying tension, but I hope that it's minor and not cannibals or another Governor type situation.

Also, I'm amused that there were a good 20 or so zombies in a tunnel in the middle of nowhere, but not a single one near the giant train yard and not even any dead bodies laying around. Terminus people must really like to keep the place clean!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anyone think there's anything to the similarity between the creepy painting and Mary? I mean the hair was the same and that's something, and there were also the sunflower paintings.

But if Michonne recognizes her, that's stretching credibility even for this show.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

moths posted:

Does anyone think there's anything to the similarity between the creepy painting and Mary? I mean the hair was the same and that's something, and there were also the sunflower paintings.

But if Michonne recognizes her, that's stretching credibility even for this show.

The creepy painting was foreshadowing Lizzie. The painting even had her side braid and the hole through her eye where Carols bullet surely exited.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Naet posted:

I hope so. Sure it can still create a drama but without being a literal cannibal town or hyper-religious cult. Maybe its a kind of OCD-Marxist-Militarized center where everything is run by rigid rule-systems and quarantines and inspections. Everyone must work for the betterment of the group, unpopular chores are assigned to pools of qualified people by lots, privacy is non-existent, property is communal, that sort of thing. A safe place, sure, but a restrictive and confining safe that asks you to conform to rigid scheduling and near micromanagement.

You don't need cannibals or Mother Earth cults to make a rich drama, a simple camp mantra of "Better Safe than Sorry" will do the job nicely. How much would it grate on Glen or Maggie to be forced to submit to a strip-search on returning from a scavenging mission under the justification of searching for hidden bites? Or Carl? You get the idea.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Naet posted:

I wouldn't mind it being a safe place, but would be really annoyed if the 'Do we go to DC?' decision is actually played like a tough choice for anybody. It is pants on head stupid that anybody would actually believe this guy and would actually change their life/plans to go protect him, and I hope the show isn't just going to use that as a major plot point without bothering to give us an actual plausible reason for why anyone is buying his bullshit.

This show gets a lot of poo poo for lazy writing that's sometimes unjustified, but introducing three new characters whose entire gimmick is that they're protecting this "scientist" dude, and then having him affect other character's decisions while no one questions him or asks for a clarification or raises the idea that he's obviously lying would be pretty loving :effort:

Especially since you know they're going to have some big, dumb reveal where he finally admits to someone that he's been lying this whole time, and the show is going to pretend that everyone should be shocked by this amazing development that no one saw coming.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Stairs posted:

The creepy painting was foreshadowing Lizzie. The painting even had her side braid and the hole through her eye where Carols bullet surely exited.

Ok good, that's a lot more sane. There's no possible in-universe reason for the dog, two bunnies, and sunflowers all to become Things on the show. I'm glad it's just reddit crawling up its own rear end in a top hat again.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VDay posted:

I wouldn't mind it being a safe place, but would be really annoyed if the 'Do we go to DC?' decision is actually played like a tough choice for anybody. It is pants on head stupid that anybody would actually believe this guy and would actually change their life/plans to go protect him, and I hope the show isn't just going to use that as a major plot point without bothering to give us an actual plausible reason for why anyone is buying his bullshit.

This show gets a lot of poo poo for lazy writing that's sometimes unjustified, but introducing three new characters whose entire gimmick is that they're protecting this "scientist" dude, and then having him affect other character's decisions while no one questions him or asks for a clarification or raises the idea that he's obviously lying would be pretty loving :effort:

Especially since you know they're going to have some big, dumb reveal where he finally admits to someone that he's been lying this whole time, and the show is going to pretend that everyone should be shocked by this amazing development that no one saw coming.

I agree the whole classified thing is just to stupid for words. Everything is going to hell in a hand basket, but Goony McArmor isn't going to tell a single person about the cause/cure despite the fact that he could get his head blown off at literally any second. A guy with a rifle defending his little piece of land might take a shot just for setting foot on his property and now the world is doomed.

If I knew the cause/cure for zombies, I'd be telling pretty much anyone remotely trustworthy just so that the information didn't die with me. I'd probably also have it written down somewhere just in case. But no let's just keep it classified for some dumb reason. It would honestly be better if he just said something like, 'I could you, but you wouldn't understand it.'

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Polegrinder posted:

Ha! Was that Bub the Zombie they just showed? Look like he had the headphones and everything.

Yeah it had to be him. poo poo, even in the group of bikers they've decked one of the guys to look like Miguel, too:

Bub was also the best part of the episode for me. Day of the Dead if the best Romero zombie movie and anyone who believes otherwise is factually and objectively wrong.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Hell yeah, that video owned.

Unfortunately all links I could find ended up linking back to the original youtube video, which got taken down for "copyright infringement".

(loving bullshit. zombies arent poo poo to worry about with real world corporate vampires bleeding legit fair-use content everyday)

That is loving bullshit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Naet posted:

These aren't the sort of dramatic writers that could make this interesting to watch. I think it would turn out very boring and the show would shed viewers. These writers are more inclined to go with violence, gore and suspense, and in this case, I think that's cannibals.

Codependent Poster posted:

Are people trying to rationalize why people being cannibals makes no sense? Uh, if they're cannibals they probably aren't very rational and really like eating people.
It's inefficient! Don't you understand? Inefficient!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'd love it if Terminus did turn out to be cannibals, but it wasn't really a conflict and they resolved it really, really easily.

"We eat people here."
-"That's hosed up. There's lots of other non-people things you could eat. We could help with that."
"You make some good points. Let's try it your way!"

And then they just spend all their days making salads.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

VDay posted:

Does anyone really believe him though? I got the impression the army guy is just taking the chance that he might be right since theres not really anything else to do, and Glynn and everyone else are just humoring him at the moment.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
His story was a Day 1 buy for me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If only Terra Nova was still around, they could've done a crossover episode with zombie dinosaurs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Terminus is going to be a relatively safe place with a lot of survivors. Like, even more survivors than Woodbury. I think it's going to be very well ordered, like people have said, and that different cliques are going to be at odds with each other over various stuff, who does what job, etc. I even think Darryl and his rough new friends are going to join the community too. There's gonna be minor squabbles and infighting but I think the major confrontation is going to be Terminus getting attacked by that swarm of what appeared to be literally thousands of zombies. The one that Darryl and friends encountered when they were looking for medicine. We've seen survivors deal with large groups of several dozen or more, but not wave after wave of the undead. Even Herschel's farm couldn't have been more than 200-300. It'd be interesting to see if the survivors, no matter how well prepared, organized, and resourceful, would be able to stop a literal sea of walkers.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

canuckanese posted:

I think Terminus is going to be a relatively safe place with a lot of survivors. Like, even more survivors than Woodbury. I think it's going to be very well ordered, like people have said, and that different cliques are going to be at odds with each other over various stuff, who does what job, etc. I even think Darryl and his rough new friends are going to join the community too. There's gonna be minor squabbles and infighting but I think the major confrontation is going to be Terminus getting attacked by that swarm of what appeared to be literally thousands of zombies. The one that Darryl and friends encountered when they were looking for medicine. We've seen survivors deal with large groups of several dozen or more, but not wave after wave of the undead. Even Herschel's farm couldn't have been more than 200-300. It'd be interesting to see if the survivors, no matter how well prepared, organized, and resourceful, would be able to stop a literal sea of walkers.

I'd rather see a group of people living in a community with little to do with walkers honestly, seeing cliques form, Darryl's group obviously is going to have some big beef with Rick, that would be really interesting.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TMMadman posted:

If I knew the cause/cure for zombies, I'd be telling pretty much anyone remotely trustworthy just so that the information didn't die with me. I'd probably also have it written down somewhere just in case. But no let's just keep it classified for some dumb reason. It would honestly be better if he just said something like, 'I could you, but you wouldn't understand it.'

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous, especially considering that this is coming from 3 brand new people that Sasha, Bob, and Maggie have never met before until today. Now obviously they're not ruthless murderers and Glenn can vouch for them, but it's still completely out-of-character for Sasha's natural reaction to be naive, blind acceptance that this dude she's never met before is who he says he is. I mean, the culmination of the Glenn and Maggie story lines comes down to:

"Oh my god Glenn you're alive!"
"Yup! Also here are four people you've never met before. One of them knows what caused this whole thing but can't tell us, but don't worry about it, nbd. What's for lunch?"

It just screams lazy writing. Like they honestly couldn't be bothered to come up with a single reasonable-sounding lie that he could keep feeding to the group, so instead we have two throw-away lines (his original 'It's classified!' explanation to Glenn and Glenn's 'Yeah he does' reassurance when Sasha tells him that this guy knows the cause) that are supposed to completely justify how naive and trustworthy everyone is suddenly behaving. It'd be one thing if the lie was just the dude's little personality quirk or something, but this is a pretty loving huge deal that has completely taken over how Abraham and Rosita live, and is potentially affecting what Sasha and Tara are planning on doing. You can't just handwave something that big away and expect everyone to be ok with it.

To be fair I'll actually wait to see if they resolve the whole thing in any kind of satisfying way or if they manage to do something interesting with it, but if it's seriously just going to be a "reveal" that he was lying the whole time then I think the whole thing would join Well Zombie and Lorie Crashes Car as the most inexplicably dumb moments of the show.

Doakes posted:

Does anyone really believe him though? I got the impression the army guy is just taking the chance that he might be right since theres not really anything else to do, and Glynn and everyone else are just humoring him at the moment.

This reasoning falls apart though the moment Sasha and Tara declare that they're going with Abraham to try and get the scientist guy to DC. That's confirmation that the show is playing this dude 100% straight and that the characters have just accepted his bullshit. If they haven't, then there is zero reason for Sasha to 'pretend' to take him seriously or for Glenn to just be quiet while these two people that he knows decide to go on this incredibly dangerous, ludicrous fool's errand. Also, there's no way Glenn doesn't immediately tell Maggie "Hey these people helped save me, but this one dude is full of poo poo and is telling everyone he knows the cause". The entire thing just doesn't make any sense, and I think people are coming up with "Well everyone obviously knows" theories/explanations because the idea that the show just wrote all these people to appear to be this stupid is too silly to imagine.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Austrian mook posted:

I'd rather see a group of people living in a community with little to do with walkers honestly, seeing cliques form, Darryl's group obviously is going to have some big beef with Rick, that would be really interesting.

Well that can still be part of it. They struggle, but ultimately succeed in creating a successful community. Even more so than at the prison or Woodbury thanks to there being even more people than before. There are farms, families, children, law, everything is ordered and safe, etc. Then they're confronted by the swarms of walkers that have been converging on the place. We know they have scouts/scavengers based on those people who died a few episodes ago, maybe they become aware of the fact that being swarmed is imminent, do they fight for this one great place they've created or try to break out?

• Locked thread