Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

WickedHate posted:

Killer Queen in this universe just(so far) had the power to project exploding bubbles.

Gotcha. So then the other stand had some ability to steal things from people, or something similar, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

I forget, how do we know this? How does "touch stuff to turn it into a bomb and also time travel" equate to "bubbles that steal 「something」" also not sure how S&W has multiple powers?

Yeah, the bubble bombs were Killer Queen, the Kira of this world. Bomb-touch and time travel were the powers of Part 4's Yoshikage Kira, this world's Kira doesn't/didn't have the exact same power.

EDIT: Beaten like both Kiras. But yeah, we don't know who could steal things yet.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 24, 2014

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
The chapter that you find all this out in is the one where holly tells Gappy about his eyes and tongue being weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojo is real and he is my friend.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, the bubble bombs were Killer Queen, the Kira of this world. Bomb-touch and time travel were the powers of Part 4's Yoshikage Kira, this world's Kira doesn't/didn't have the exact same power.

EDIT: Beaten like both Kiras. But yeah, we don't know who could steal things yet.

It's a white snake/killer queen combo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

Weird, so the guy has, independent of his Stand ability, used the walleyes to modify his constitution somehow?

It could be someone's else stand the one that gave him that trait.

Until now the story has followed Josuke and Yasuho's search for answers, which included learning about the Higashikatas. Now that it seems like the Higashikatas are on their side it is a good moment to branch into looking somewhere else for the person trying to kill Josuke, and a shadowy figure manipulating the whole thing may be introduced.

I wonder if the big bad is actually the other two halves of Josuke. I don't think that Araki would go with something so hackneyed but it could happen.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm not too sold on the big bad being the other parts of Josuke, mostly because they had found the actual Kira's corpse in one of the really early chapters. Using the fruit example, it seems like Josuke was a dead body who borrowed the missing parts from Kira, and then leaving Kira with the dead parts. This is assuming, of course, things will always work out like this, but given the series, it probably wont.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I thought Josuke's whole deal was that he ended up with more 'parts' than Kira did in the swap, inculding a few vital organs, hence why Josuke has doubles of various things and Kira didn't survive the process. But that makes it less of an 'equivelant exchange' so I suppose it's possible there was something more to it. Perhaps losing all of Kira/probably-Jobin's memories was part of it? There's still a lot of mysteries to clear up after all!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Didn't we already see Jobin? It's just that he immediately left and hasn't interacted with Josuke 8.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
They're getting really lazy with the ASB name changes.

In case you can't read it: Zipper Man

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is reaching parody.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

So are they going back and recording just the bits and pieces for stand names, or is it gonna be really awkward when Bruno/Kira/whomever just flat out uses English?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No- No..

You gotta be kidding me.

loving seriously?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Robviously posted:

So are they going back and recording just the bits and pieces for stand names, or is it gonna be really awkward when Bruno/Kira/whomever just flat out uses English?

The audio is 100% intact, so yes, they actually do speak the original names.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Zorak posted:

Didn't we already see Jobin? It's just that he immediately left and hasn't interacted with Josuke 8.

I think he showed up in like a panel when we had the introductions for the whole Higashikata family. He is the guy in the back here I think.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This one is just beyond stupid. Sticky Fingers is a common phrase, your average person isn't going to immediately think of the album unlike some of the other more blatant references.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
http://shizukajoestar.tumblr.com/post/80414217404/jojo-friday-is-almost-a-thing-again-less-than-two

Vento Aureo re-translation is (maybe) back on track.

They're (maybe) going to have a new volume out this friday.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Comic by Mayoday

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's up with the seemingly random panels that have started to crop up in SBR where someone in foreground mostly just has the outline work done on them?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

darealkooky posted:

http://shizukajoestar.tumblr.com/post/80414217404/jojo-friday-is-almost-a-thing-again-less-than-two

Vento Aureo re-translation is (maybe) back on track.

They're (maybe) going to have a new volume out this friday.

Excellent news! Between this and the Invincible Trio (maybe) finishing part 4 this year I'll be one step closer to completing the JoJoverse.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Divine Orator posted:

I thought Josuke's whole deal was that he ended up with more 'parts' than Kira did in the swap, inculding a few vital organs, hence why Josuke has doubles of various things and Kira didn't survive the process. But that makes it less of an 'equivelant exchange' so I suppose it's possible there was something more to it. Perhaps losing all of Kira/probably-Jobin's memories was part of it? There's still a lot of mysteries to clear up after all!

SBR ending spoilersI think the reason why Gappy got extra parts is because whoever did it to him and Kira is the new first-knapkin-taker that Valentine wanted to be. That poo poo at the end of SBR certainly wasn't equivalent exchange.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Dio actually seemed pretty content to just do gently caress all, but saw the Joestars as a threat to him doing nothing. SO ROUND UP THE GANG WE'RE KILLING A FAMILY.

I always felt like if Dio wasn't stopped, he was basically going to become some kind of world domination villain - but he wanted to wipe out the Joestars and their allies first because they presented him with his only real threat.

Everything about him is meant to imply that he's bent on that so it's not a big leap to make.

Jojo fans really are the best. :allears:

Maremidon posted:

I like that we know that Yatsuho likes Cherry Coke. It really puts his whole character in perspective.

I feel like that was meant to go with the arc's theme of splicing things with other things to make new things.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 24, 2014

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

i guess I got thrown of by the phrase being used in this chapter, since it was explained pretty clearly that the completed corpse grants the power TO 'give' or 'take' but it doesn't have any limitations other than that (Valentine creating an area of absolute good luck by repelling all bad luck into the surrounding area being a prime example of it being more loose than a 2 way exchange) and as far as we know the 'wall eyes' are a phenomena created by the completed corpse. Interestingly, Gappy's stand seems a very direct nod to this notion, since it's 'taking' abstract concepts and storing them externally, and the powers of the Higashikata family are all similarly connected to the idea, so whatever mystery connects them is probably pretty intimately related to the corpse.

Thinking about the new information we have on this Stand, perhaps it's power is the ability to cause things to 'merge', but the process isn't dangerous until the 'merge' is complete? So when all the pottery or chestnuts were flying into Josuke's body, it wasn't actually dangerous until it had actually reached his center, and the 'merge' was complete? That explains how he's able to use the power on himself, as well as to trick Tsurugi: he has a bunch of stuff constantly in a state of flux in his body and he can attract or repel whatever it is he's using at will. It wouldn't be the first time someones had a Stand with so many potential uses it seems as if there are multiple distinct powers at play. Trying to guess what a Stand does until you actually get told is a bit of a fools errand considering how abstract Jojolion has been making powers though!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Divine Orator posted:

i guess I got thrown of by the phrase being used in this chapter, since it was explained pretty clearly that the completed corpse grants the power TO 'give' or 'take' but it doesn't have any limitations other than that (Valentine creating an area of absolute good luck by repelling all bad luck into the surrounding area being a prime example of it being more loose than a 2 way exchange) and as far as we know the 'wall eyes' are a phenomena created by the completed corpse. Interestingly, Gappy's stand seems a very direct nod to this notion, since it's 'taking' abstract concepts and storing them externally, and the powers of the Higashikata family are all similarly connected to the idea, so whatever mystery connects them is probably pretty intimately related to the corpse.

How does King Nothing fit with the concept though? It just seems to track and or detatch limbs

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've seen the theory floating around that Gappy's second half was already dead and buried when Kira was put in the ground, but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the chick from the beginning tell him that she saw him escape three days before?

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

How does King Nothing fit with the concept though? It just seems to track and or detatch limbs

it's a bit of a cop out but I see it as being able to 'take' one kind of information (scent) and turn it into another kind of information that the user can process, in this case a visual representation of what that scent means. Getting to the other side of the hatch could be seen as doing the same thing with Tsurugi as with Yasuho's scent, since he probably touched the hatch, and then proceeding from there. It certainly fits with the puzzle theme, since isn't an unassembled jigsaw just visual information you can't yet comprehend? The fact that King Nothing doesn't seem to be able to create info from nothing is enough to justify tying it into the idea, at least for me. It'll be interesting to see what distinguishes the ability from Highway Star/Moody Blues

The Divine Orator fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 24, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't know if I can even be mad at this one it's so bad.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

gently caress it, let's just rename every Stand like this. Star Platinum becomes Punch Man, The World becomes Time Man, etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ASB is actually Mega Man 11.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress it, let's just rename every Stand like this. Star Platinum becomes Punch Man, The World becomes Time Man, etc.

Well yeah, but then you got to write around copyrights of Megaman, so even the name changes get name changes.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Full disclosure, when I first saw the name of the Stand I thought it was a reference to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_Fingaz

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

I believe you mean "Rapper Man"

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
So much for them working with Shueisha and Araki to come up with good names.

I think they could've renamed Killer Queen "Gunpowder Gelatine"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They should have got permission from Akira Toriyama and localized Killer Queen as a relative of Freeza for cross promotion with J-Stars Victory Vs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Why bother promoting it in the localization when J Stars is never going to be localized?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like I think if any game had less of a chance to be localized than ASB it would be J-Stars.

Perigryn posted:

So much for them working with Shueisha and Araki to come up with good names.

I think they could've renamed Killer Queen "Gunpowder Gelatine"

Like seriously, wasn't it reported they were talking to Araki and using names from the western release of the anime? It was quite possibly a mistaken/false report, but they're not even trying. I can't wait to see if they change Cream or The Hand, those are like two of the most innocuous names I can think of.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 24, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's gonna be really dumb when the guy on the screen is clearly saying DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAPU and the subtitle reads The President.

E: they're just gonna do D4C, right? :shepicide: right?

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's gonna be really dumb when the guy on the screen is clearly saying DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAPU and the subtitle reads The President.

gently caress them fabulously if they don't just go with D4C for that one. I can't even remember if he actually says the full name in the game.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Robviously posted:

gently caress them fabulously if they don't just go with D4C for that one. I can't even remember if he actually says the full name in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zztEmh6E2wY

I actually wanna know what they change Aerosmith to since there is no name that'd be reasonable enough to use besides Airplane for the :effort: name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Well, there's that then.

Don't most of the Stand/naming issues come for part 4 on? I could see them just dropping the dub after part 3 instead of dealing with that kind of hassle.

• Locked thread