Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TURN IT OFF! posted:

What is roadkill if not garbage? Better get these ten tons of flattened skunks an individual grave in a pet cemetery.
Also Denmark was the land that killed a giraffe, had it autopsied while school children watched, invited the press to photograph the carcass being eaten in the lion pen, all the while not understanding why the rest of the world was upset.
I don't think they were the ones who we're getting upset that dead animals served some purpose.

Yeah, it wasn't much of an issue all things considered (for the reasons you gave), but I thought it was an interesting aside given the topic at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TURN IT OFF! posted:

Not unless British babies are made from wood, no.

Well, the ones that are witches are.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Looking up that tweet there are apparently a lot of adults really smug about basing their lives on a terrible book written by a sociopath and think they would be in the class of people that get to go Galt.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Slightly Toasted posted:

"A story out of the UK, aborted babies, were used in incinerators to heat british hospitals." -Rush Limbaugh

This is going to be a good day.

This isn't far off from the Republican energy policy of "drill baby drill".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig made a 13 year old's dream come true

Child indoctrination; nice.

Radish posted:

Looking up that tweet there are apparently a lot of adults really smug about basing their lives on a terrible book written by a sociopath and think they would be in the class of people that get to go Galt.

It is an economic philosophy that requires the adorable naivete of a child to believe. I have a hard time figuring out how people seriously hold the bad fantasy novels of a mentally-imbalanced person that were written 50 years ago as something applicable to reality. Could just be that they conveniently coincide with FYGM, or it could be they actually think it makes sense.

I don't know which scenario is worse.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The issue about the Danish giraffe wasn't about what they did with the body, which nobody really had a problem with IIRC, it was that the giraffe didn't have to be killed in the first place. It was done for fear of inbreeding and while there were several zoos (one in here in the Netherlands, at least) willing to take it, those weren't a member of the same organization that controlled the breeding program.

In the end a perfectly healthy giraffe was killed for no other reason than bureaucracy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Eh, don't sweat it. Remember that adorable little 13 year old CPAC speaker and how he turned out?
The kid may or may not shake off the FYGM values being thrown at him, but getting steeped in RW bullshit early can inoculate you for later in life--all it takes is one Fundamental Truth to be shown as not being absolute and his worldview will crack. What he will do after that is entirely on him.

Snoggle posted:

This isn't far off from the Republican energy policy of "drill baby drill".

Sounds like they're well on their way to an "all of the above" energy policy. :colbert:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

It is an economic philosophy that requires the adorable naivete of a child to believe. I have a hard time figuring out how people seriously hold the bad fantasy novels of a mentally-imbalanced person that were written 50 years ago as something applicable to reality. Could just be that they conveniently coincide with FYGM, or it could be they actually think it makes sense.

I don't know which scenario is worse.

Everyone wants to think they'd be Gandalf, Galadriel, Frodo, or whoever when you read a fantasy book and not some nameless jerk that gets offed in the Battle of Five armies and no one cared. It's the same way for a fantasy book about superhero capitalists where Rand fans thing they're going to be giving a three hour speech before leaving everyone else to burn when in reality they're just going to be some middle class person that gets hosed because the rich weren't getting their asses kissed enough. I have more respect for people that have Lord of the Rings themed weddings since at least they probably know it's a fantasy and just are glad to pretend instead of trying to get the world to conform to their imagination.

OAquinas posted:

Eh, don't sweat it. Remember that adorable little 13 year old CPAC speaker and how he turned out?
The kid may or may not shake off the FYGM values being thrown at him, but getting steeped in RW bullshit early can inoculate you for later in life--all it takes is one Fundamental Truth to be shown as not being absolute and his worldview will crack. What he will do after that is entirely on him.

That CPAC kid realizing he was being used as a tool and doing a 180 was the political feel good story of the year.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

The best part is the books even show you what happens to you if you're a moral person with perfect Objectivist views but you're not smart enough to be a Superman.

You die of exposure when the train you took on the responsibility of running breaks down in the desert, and none of your lifelong friends whom you served with such devotion gives a poo poo about what happens to you or even thinks to ask what became of you, because they are Industrialist Heroes and you're just their lowly right-hand-man.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

The best part is the books even show you what happens to you if you're a moral person with perfect Objectivist views but you're not smart enough to be a Superman.

You die of exposure when the train you took on the responsibility of running breaks down in the desert, and none of your lifelong friends whom you served with such devotion gives a poo poo about what happens to you or even thinks to ask what became of you, because they are Industrialist Heroes and you're just their lowly right-hand-man.

I read in another thread every person on that train was a symbol for someone that Rand hated so who does bootlicker Objectivist stand for?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

This one.

https://rbg5awb7gk4

It's long and I'm not sure the time stamp where he gets into it. It's a good listen though.

That's no URL

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Don't worry in 12 years he'll be a liberal.

It's generally what happens to those who espouse views like that. See, the one kid who was the "star" at CPAC a few years a go.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

I read in another thread every person on that train was a symbol for someone that Rand hated so who does bootlicker Objectivist stand for?

Different train. The tunnel disaster killed strawmen that Rand hated.

Eddie Willers was supposed to represent the average man with the Right Morality but without the genius ability of the Job Creators to Create railroads and jobs and apple pie. When the rich get tired of paying taxes and go Galt, he is left to survive as best he can (and dies in a stranded locomotive). Since he's an untermensch, no one invites him to Galt's Gulch even though he grew up with the heroes and was the heroine's most trusted and dependable assistant for the entire novel, and the heroine has an opportunity to do so but is like "Nah". I guess lifelong friendship wasn't good enough if he couldn't make her enough sweet sweet gold.

Rand said he was supposed to represent the average man who perishes without the Creators and whom no one gives a poo poo about. Rand specifically put in a character to cover Radish's observation above about how most people think they'd be Gandalf but just end up some nameless casualty, and she embraced that wholeheartedly, but the people who fall for Objectivism still don't get it.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 24, 2014

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

"Apparently solar panels and wind farms aren't enough anymore for these middleists and liberals" -Rush Limbaugh :v:

Oh God, is that a real quote? I can't tell anymore. :ohdear:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Different train. The tunnel disaster killed strawmen that Rand hated.

Eddie Willers was supposed to represent the average man with the Right Morality but without the genius ability of the Job Creators to Create railroads and jobs and apple pie. When the rich get tired of paying taxes and go Galt, he is left to survive as best he can (and dies in a stranded locomotive). Since he's an untermensch, no one invites him to Galt's Gulch even though he grew up with the heroes and was the heroine's most trusted and dependable assistant for the entire novel, and the heroine has an opportunity to do so but is like "Nah". I guess lifelong friendship wasn't good enough if he couldn't make her enough sweet sweet gold.

Rand said he was supposed to represent the average man who perishes without the Creators and whom no one gives a poo poo about. Rand specifically put in a character to cover Radish's observation above about how most people think they'd be Gandalf but just end up some nameless casualty, and she embraced that wholeheartedly, but the people who fall for Objectivism still don't get it.

I guess I have to respect someone just a little that makes her evil dreams totally clear and yet the people that die in her hellish utopia still laud her as a genius.

Since I never read the book and always assumed that the Galters brought along a caravan of followers to take care of them, now I have to ask how they survived afterwards since I assume they didn't know how to farm land, make houses, or whatever.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
They're geniuses, they can do anything, why is this so hard for you to understand? :argh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Radish posted:

Since I never read the book and always assumed that the Galters brought along a caravan of followers to take care of them, now I have to ask how they survived afterwards since I assume they didn't know how to farm land, make houses, or whatever.

They invent a perpetual motion machine that provides them limitless energy.

No, really.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're geniuses, they can do anything, why is this so hard for you to understand? :argh:

Because I'm an untermensch :(.

Chantilly Say posted:

They invent a perpetual motion machine that provides them limitless energy.

No, really.

Christ it's like if the creator of Stardust the Super Wizard spawned a political party although at least he was a hero. What a hackneyed, poo poo ending (that still doesn't explain how they grow food, get clean water, or defend themselves from the army of starving poors with what I assume is the remnants of the US military).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Radish posted:

I guess I have to respect someone just a little that makes her evil dreams totally clear and yet the people that die in her hellish utopia still laud her as a genius.

Outside of the perpetual motion machine mentioned above, every genius industrialist happens to have a hobby that coincides with basic necessities (farming, cooking, presumably waste management, etc) which is how Galt's Gulch manages it's day-to-day living.

Yes, really.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Oh God, is that a real quote? I can't tell anymore. :ohdear:

One of the new Toyotas in... I think LA? Is literally being powered by human waste. They're taking the output from the sewage system and reprocessing it into hydrogen for fuel cells. Science finally finds a use for Rush Limbaugh, film at 11.

While I'm all for electric, I like the concept of hydrogen power via this method because reprocessing what we would otherwise just be pouring into the oceans to rot is always a good thing. Tackling pollution and environmental damage from multiple angles at once.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Slightly Toasted posted:

"A story out of the UK, aborted babies, were used in incinerators to heat british hospitals." -Rush Limbaugh

This is going to be a good day.
Yeah, so far he's been using a recent caller's story about how his daughter had to watch An Inconvenient Truth in he class to lambaste the concept of global climate change. As usual Limbaugh never speaks specific to any criticism of climate studies, he simply says "The climate scientists have no idea what climate science really is" and doesn't elaborate any further. Limbaugh's climate denial has always been very banal, yet somehow he can stretch his tirades out for an hour or more. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

In-universe answer:

quote:

"Francisco d'Anconia picked up the hoe, observing the sunlight glisten on the smooth blue-green metal. The surface was unscratched, unmarked, not even a ripple betrayed its humble origins of rust-coloured ore. It was the best-forged hoe he had ever seen. It was Rearden Metal, the miracle metal that the looters could steal but could not create.
"Francisco had never tilled a field before, but once when he was one week old he had crawled out of his father's estate and watched a slow, stupid, clumsy mestizo incompetently till a row. Even then he grasped the essence of the motion, the creative purpose behind the brute rote-learned ritual of that primitive Indian savage. Francisco the man recalled it now, raised the farming tool with a skill and perfection unrivalled in history. Then he tilled the whole field the bestest anyone ever had while Dagny looked on, panties moistening. After that he raped her while her boyfriend Galt looked on approvingly and wherever his seed fell as he climaxed a cornstalk shot up from the dirt."
Real answer:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

13 year old playground punching bag.

What am I saying he's probably homeschooled.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"Jared what have I told you about not sharing playground equipment with other students?"

"As a self-made capitalist ubermensch I have moral obligation to share the playground equipment with these low-life welfare leeches!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

In-universe answer:

I can't tell exactly how much of this you made up.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its not word-for-word but... its an accurate summation of the book.

Radish posted:

Because I'm an untermensch :(.

Christ it's like if the creator of Stardust the Super Wizard spawned a political party although at least he was a hero. What a hackneyed, poo poo ending (that still doesn't explain how they grow food, get clean water, or defend themselves from the army of starving poors with what I assume is the remnants of the US military).

The Gulch is also in the middle of the Rocky mountains in an location you can only get to by small private plane. And, just in case The Poors learn how to fly, they have a magic cloaking device that hides the runway and town from being seen by air.

Seriously.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't tell exactly how much of this you made up.

I got 2/3 of the way through before I realized my ability to identify satire is dead.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Slaan posted:

Its not word-for-word but... its an accurate summation of the book.

The Gulch is also in the middle of the Rocky mountains in an location you can only get to by small private plane. And, just in case The Poors learn how to fly, they have a magic cloaking device that hides the runway and town from being seen by air.

Seriously.

So in other words, the only way going Galt is an actual option is if some genius, billionaire industrialist types find some way to do magic.
I'm honestly not surprised.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Does she really refer to ordinary people as looters? I always thought that was lefties being sarcastic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Chantilly Say posted:

One of them steals a perpetual motion machine he designed while working under contract for a company whose owners he had no respect for that provides them limitless energy.

No, really.

I added some significant details. One of the things I find most amusing about that book is how it undermines its own messages and "heroes". Binding contracts, which are held up as the highest purpose of government and law, get ignored on whims. The very idea that business leaders should have a great deal of influence over the government is undermined by the plot's crisis being manufactured by business leaders who have a great deal of influence over the government.

It is a very very stupid book.

bpower posted:

Does she really refer to ordinary people as looters? I always thought that was lefties being sarcastic.

Not all regular people, just those who don't immediately throw themselves on the mercies of their betters, the capitalist supermen. "Makers" and "Takers" also come directly from that novel.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

bpower posted:

She also literally calls Unions 'slavery' and Union heads 'slavers.'

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

So I Googled Galt's Gulch and found out that it exists! It's in Chile (since it is apparently the most economically free country in South America. Thanks Pinochet!) and instead of magical metal, they grow lemons.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bpower posted:

Yes, she does.

And almost all, if not all, sex scenes in Rand's books start with the man violently attacking the woman, and the woman originally violently resisting, only to give in to the "ideal man's" power and realize that she wanted it all along. Hell, she actually paints a woman violently resisting rape as a gift she was giving the man. This is an actual word for word passage:

quote:

She felt him trembling and she thought that this was the kind of cry she had wanted to tear from him — this surrender through the shreds of his tortured resistance. Yet she knew, at the same time, that the triumph was his, that her laughter was her tribute to him, that her defiance was submission, that the purpose of all of her violent strength was only to make his victory the greater — he was holding her body against his, as if stressing his wish to let her know that she was now only a tool for the satisfaction of his desire —and his victory, she knew, was her wish to let him reduce her to that.

quote:

tried to tear herself away from him ... her fists against his shoulders, against his face ... she tore herself free ... she let her teeth sink into his hand." During the ensuing struggle, "she fought like an animal ... she bit his lips...
I've been raped .... I've been raped by some redheaded hoodlum from a stone quarry .... Through the fierce sense of humiliation, the words gave her the same kind of pleasure she had felt in his arms...She had not given him the one answer that would have saved her: an answer of simple revulsion — she had found joy in her revulsion, in her terror and in his strength. That was the degradation she had wanted

Rand is much worse than the parodies of her.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Eponymouse posted:

So I Googled Galt's Gulch and found out that it exists! It's in Chile (since it is apparently the most economically free country in South America. Thanks Pinochet!) and instead of magical metal, they grow lemons.

I moved to Chile last year, I know the next place I need to visit

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The best irony in the world is that later on Ayn Rand ended up destitute in life and had to rely on welfare to survive, surprise! The irony was completely lost on her and she for whatever reason claimed it was totally fine for her to take advantage of government assistance unlike those other "looters". I mean it's a mindset for children anyway, if every billionaire and CEO died today the world would continue on largely as it had before, they're the one that need society not the other way around.

There was a really good blow by blow critique I read a few years back I'll see if I can find it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Axetrain posted:

The best irony in the world is that later on Ayn Rand ended up destitute in life and had to rely on welfare to survive, surprise! The irony was completely lost on her and she for whatever reason claimed it was totally fine for her to take advantage of government assistance unlike those other "looters". I mean it's a mindset for children anyway, if every billionaire and CEO died today the world would continue on largely as it had before, they're the one that need society not the other way around.

There was a really good blow by blow critique I read a few years back I'll see if I can find it.
It makes it all the more fitting that Paul Ryan, her disciple, grew up on government assistance and has only held government jobs, but now wants to gut both of those things for others.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If you deplore the idea of public assistance with every fiber of your being, ironically you become fully qualified to receive it. <--this is an official objectivist position

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

In fact only those who bitch about government supporting all those other moochers can accept welfare with a clear conscience. :sparkles:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I found it. Atlas Sucked. Pretty good review that goes into a lot of detail about why this book is nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I seriously wonder if these people are self aware enough to root for Lex Luther in Superman movies since he basically a Rand hero or do they think there is a difference between the characters they idolize and supervillians? I guess you could make the case that in Rand's imagination it's their removal from society that causes it to collapse but their motivations are identically selfish and sociopathic.