Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator

I don't know if this is a good Kickstarter or a bad one.

This is amazing and I want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator

I don't know if this is a good Kickstarter or a bad one.

They just ripped off Goat Simulator and beat them to the crowdfunding punch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They just ripped off Goat Simulator and beat them to the crowdfunding punch.

Counterpoint: who the gently caress wants to play as a goat when they could be playing a loving bear

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Counterpoint: who the gently caress wants to play as a goat when they could be playing a loving bear

I'm surprised when they started mentioning the sunglasses and Tron-skin that no one told them to make a Leather Bear outfit. I'd totally would want to play an ursine pun wearing a strap outfit and a daddy cap swatting butterflies in the woods.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I'm surprised when they started mentioning the sunglasses and Tron-skin that no one told them to make a Leather Bear outfit. I'd totally would want to play an ursine pun wearing a strap outfit and a daddy cap swatting butterflies in the woods.

He's in the Games Kickstarter thread here, now's your chance!!!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, almost a year later and having had a real job with people I know working in the game industry it sure is weird looking back at my Kickstarter monstrosity. I hope to actually launch something decent in the upcoming months after lots of planning and research... the way it should have been the first time.

I'm going to give a lecture to my friend's class, "My Failed Kickstarter" to teach what I learned through brutal failure and the simple mistakes everyone makes and the not-so-simple ones.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rapdawg posted:

I'm going to give a lecture to my friend's class, "My Failed Kickstarter" to teach what I learned through brutal failure and the simple mistakes everyone makes and the not-so-simple ones.

You didn't learn your lesson at all. You're supposed to kickstarter a documentary teaching those lessons, not a FREE lecture. What are you, some kind of sucker?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Bleeding Cowboys and a typical overextension of a planned budget

quote:

"I reckon you should keep an eager eye out for [Dead Man's Trail]"

~Chris Priestmann - PocketGamer.co.uk

"Dead Man's Trail is a pretty fun looking zombie survival & travel game in the spirit of Organ Trail, with plenty of differences to keep you interested."

~Liam Dawe - GamingOnLinux.com

Chris Priestman will do features on anything and the composition of his quote is not shady at all. Second quote is generic bullshit.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noyemi K posted:

Two years and no collision detection. What a fuckup.

It looked like he had basic collision detection on borders, but that he doesn't know how to deal with detecting it when the player is moving quickly.

Which is a basic thing you need to do and he could read how to do it on any number of websites devoted to teaching you that exact thing, but who can be bothered?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

For once a terrible kickstarter ends the right way - this morning they cancelled the funding, presumably after being called out by Gigi.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

For once a terrible kickstarter ends the right way - this morning they cancelled the funding, presumably after being called out by Gigi.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063311638/lets-destroy-the-patriots/posts/784325

Exactly what happened.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gigi finally got to crush nerds

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
People joke about the Singularity being The Rapture for Atheists but this guy wants money to literally proselytize to children that they don't have to die if they just believe in science hard enough.

For extra fun here's the Amazon page for the dude's self-published book.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I hoped one of the perks would be eternal life for $666. Instead I can get some jpegs from his wife.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

quote:

jason payne about 16 hours ago
What happened

Come on dude, it's not a long or unclear update...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Didn't someone already literally do this joke? Is this such fertile gimmick soil that we need two Zombie Oregon Trails?

Also the first one had a much more clever title. :colbert:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You know, I don't feel like any of that was missing from the original Left 4 Dead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687530622/meme-trading-card-game

Guess what's back
Back again
Memes are back
Tell a friend

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waffleman_ posted:

Guess what's back
Back again
Memes are back
Tell a friend

Because that font and card style aren't a complete ripoff of something else, no siree.

Why do people try to monetize memes again? Because they make some people (read: children) giggle?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Keep in mind, this is this guy's second attempt at this KS.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh well that's just even more pathetic.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Waffleman_ posted:

He has the same number of backers and over twice the amount pledged, now.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Waffleman_ posted:

Guess what's back
Back again
Memes are back
Tell a friend

Isn't this the kind of thing that you can get sued over? Because I'm pretty sure it is.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, the guy who came up with the troll face has sent C&Ds to people profiting off it or otherwise using it for awful things, so that'll probably happen with this if it doesn't fail/disappear first (it will)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Guess what's back
Back again
Memes are back
Tell a friend

This definitely won't get shot to hell by any one of the numerous people whose images he's stealing if it looks like it'll reach funding.

e: It looks like they claim to have done their homework.

quote:

2) What if we get sued?

We have spent a lot of time researching fair use and parody law. We have had to redesign the game a few times because we felt we were skirting too close to a lawsuit. We think we have made a creative blend of content and humor that does not break the law.

I'm sure the trollface guy will agree and not send a C&D.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Stealing someone's photography or artwork and slapping some goofy text on it absolutely does not constitute parody law. Redrawing the photo or artwork to make a parody alternate version can. Jesus christ copyright law is not hard, I don't know why some people have to be so retarded with it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

moerketid posted:

Stealing someone's photography or artwork and slapping some goofy text on it absolutely does not constitute parody law. Redrawing the photo or artwork to make a parody alternate version can. Jesus christ copyright law is not hard, I don't know why some people have to be so retarded with it.

Case in point:

Copyrighted image that became a meme.

Redrawn version that is 100% OK to sell.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Those notebooks are awesome! It must take just all of the guesswork out of bullying. Truly, we live in a golden age of assholery.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Case in point:

Copyrighted image that became a meme.

Redrawn version that is 100% OK to sell.

I'm pretty sure that it's not okay to sell these ones too. Like didn't the guy who actually draw the troll face start to get pissed that it was being used on commercial products?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

moerketid posted:

People seem to throw around references to fair use like those two words were some sort of incantation against being sued. I've seen countless youtube videos which were clearly breaching copyright law by uploading complete movies or TV shows but they still posted some blurb about "fair use" in the video description as if that made everything okay.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've seen countless youtube videos which were clearly breaching copyright law by uploading complete movies or TV shows but they still posted some blurb about "fair use" in the video description as if that made everything okay.
My favorites are "I don't own this" and "all rights to ...", as if admitting you stole it means it's OK.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

semiavrage posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not okay to sell these ones too. Like didn't the guy who actually draw the troll face start to get pissed that it was being used on commercial products?

I haven't heard about any lawsuits, but it is listed in the copyright catalog

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

semiavrage posted:

I think he's specifically referring to the chimp face, on the right. The troll face is a different thing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Based on the price tags those notebooks are priced in brazilian real, implying they're sold in Brazil, and nowhere except North America and Europe cares about copyrights.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Looks like the Brony dating sim kickstarter is imploding in on itself.

http://cliqist.com/2014/03/14/is-dark-skyes-the-latest-kickstarter-scam/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Exmond posted:

Looks like the Brony dating sim kickstarter is imploding in on itself.

http://cliqist.com/2014/03/14/is-dark-skyes-the-latest-kickstarter-scam/

Poorly executed and unfunny prank kickstarter falls to pieces, what a shock

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Poorly executed and unfunny prank kickstarter falls to pieces, what a shock

And someone actually posted a 5 page detailed explaination with screencaps and tons of data to debunk the bogus mlp dating sim on the kickstarter crowdfunding platform.

Now I'm sure I can safely cancel my donation without missing out, good job

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Fear not, though! A handful of bronies have bravely decided to make the Dating Sim That Should Have Been. It features a lot of the same artwork (I'm not sure if they got the actual artists' permission this time) and, while it's not voice-acted, the introduction features the same high-calibre microphone quality you've come to expect from this fandom of all fandoms.

It's kind of even more depressing than the original MDE thing and I kind of wonder if that's what they intended to happen all along. :tinfoil:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

didn't the prank basically work anyway? Whole lot of bronies pissed that someone would use their own horsefucking desires against them, to the point that they went all out on an investigation into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

didn't the prank basically work anyway? Whole lot of bronies pissed that someone would use their own horsefucking desires against them, to the point that they went all out on an investigation into it.

Yeah, that incredibly self-serious investigation is funny enough on it's own