Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Siivola posted:

The Audatia print and play files are out, woo. The decks are so huge I dont even want to download 'em over this mobile net, but the rulebooks look nice.

They're also kind of really hard to follow. This might be a game that needs to be taught to learn.

I have been trying to remember the name of this game, so thanks for reminding me. Have they said anything about a (US) release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Tower's countdown has reached the hours mark (at 53 hours left), and has almost triple-funded with $35,400. The latest stretch goal to unlock was higher quality tiles. The next is at 37,000 which will bring higher quality boxes, and as a final stretch goal, if the project reaches 42,000, then a poster with art on one side and thanks to all the backers on the other will be added to all boxes, for backers and later buyers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mehuyael posted:

Fall Schematic is a weird project. It's for both a mobile game and a card game (plus it has some miniatures for some game called Maulifax?).

The card game has you playing frames being piloted by digitized people who fight glitches over the ruins of the physical world. It's a co-op game for 1-4 players. It also synergizes with the digital game in that you can scan cards to get stronger versions of those cards. There's a beta of the rules, and I've read it, but I'm still not experienced enough with board/card games to be able to guess if it'll be fun to play.

Oh, and if I understand it right, it'll be a Living Card Game (though of course they can't use that term officially).

I love malifaux, so I might be tempted on the models, but they are expensive and my lack of smart phone keeps me from any more than that. The whole things is weird: it's a psychical card game with online play?
Not sure why, but it reminds me of something that Zoë would be playing in Dreamfall.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really don't know. From what I understand scanning cards into the game lets you either get items for use in the digital game, or if you're scanning it while playing the physical card game, you get a more powerful version of the card to use in the physical game. So you like place your mobile instead of the card on the field? Makes me think that maybe you can only power up one card this way per match.

I'm backing it just because it's an interesting idea trying to make 2 different games, one digital, one physical, and having them work together somehow. The story sounds like something out of an anime (literally, I think I watched some episodes of an anime with a similar story years ago), but I like the concept of people having transcended their physical bodies by uploading themselves to the internet. Nothing original about that, but still nice. I'm mostly in for the card game though, since my collection right now lacks cooperative games, and from my experience this type of mobile game isn't my thing (though I did ask and they actually are thinking of ways to compensate people who "wasted" energy by not logging on for long periods of time, which is better than the games of this type I have played).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So the Tokaido Kickstarter, in its last 14 hours, posted an update that doesn't at all affect me but has me wondering.

quote:

We finally got the last data for the shipping in Canada through USPS.

As we thought it would happen, shipping trough USPS is more expensive than our previous negociated UPS prices, however facing the MASSIVE demand from intensive and repeated comments from our Canadian backers to swap for USPS, even with a paid option to avoid the high UPS brokerage and import fees, we decided to swap for USPS.

This has consequences on the shipping to CANADA which is NO MORE FREE!

We urge all of our Canadian backers to UPDATE THEIR PLEDGE ACCORDINGLY TO THESE NEW SHIPPING FEES.

Is UPS Canada really that horrible? This is also really kind of a last minute thing that could be super annoying to the Canada backers who don't give a poo poo. There was no poll or anything, just this announcement. I hope it doesn't come and bite them in the rear end, though.

Edit: Apparently there are things called Brokerage Fees or something that UPS charges that would have amounted to an extra $50 or so. What the.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 23, 2014

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

So the Tokaido Kickstarter, in its last 14 hours, posted an update that doesn't at all affect me but has me wondering.

Is UPS Canada really that horrible? This is also really kind of a last minute thing that could be super annoying to the Canada backers who don't give a poo poo. There was no poll or anything, just this announcement. I hope it doesn't come and bite them in the rear end, though.

Edit: Apparently there are things called Brokerage Fees or something that UPS charges that would have amounted to an extra $50 or so. What the.

That game will easily break the 600k mark for painted 30mm minis...

It really will be a beautiful game on the table.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ropes4u posted:

Bought samurai for minis to paint, sticking around for minis I don't have to paint

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
UPS sucks the poo poo from a dead man's rear end up here. If it isn't brokerage fees (which aren't always applied) then it's the drivers just leaving a note on the door, and having to trek to a depot-- of which there may only be one or two in the city.

Changing things fourteen hours from the end of the drive, and expecting people to make up the difference by changing their pledges during that window, is a really bad move, especially in the middle of a weekend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ropes4u posted:

It's already broken the mark for painted 35mm minis, the $600k goal is for better painting. And it has broken it, by almost $20k with five hours to go. It's made something like $140k in the last 48 hours.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I have been trying to remember the name of this game, so thanks for reminding me. Have they said anything about a (US) release?
They were planning on using Distribly for paid download, but the decks' filesize apparently threw a spanner in the tubes. Windsor's looking into DriveThruCards as an alternative.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

gently caress, I stumbled upon the MERCS kickstarter and money jumped out of my pockets

I am interested to see just how well the recon minis fit into the tabletop skirmish game

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

signalnoise posted:

gently caress, I stumbled upon the MERCS kickstarter and money jumped out of my pockets

I am interested to see just how well the recon minis fit into the tabletop skirmish game

First Myth and now this? Those Mercs guys get all my cash.

Something about a corporate dystopia of little mans murdering each other just works for me. I'm keen to see how it works, hopefully it's more simple than Myth - something like Deadzone with a bit more micro-managing of each soldier would be just right.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah Brokerage fees are terrible for Canada, if you get nailed by them (basically by having the shipping company needing to deal with paying any fees at the border at all) they'll slap you with those fees plus another 50+ for the trouble they went through.

If you're trying to avoid outlandish fees like that USPS is the way to go as they have a $5 flat rate for brokerage fees. Just ship to Canada using the Postal Service and everything will be cool.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tower is having it's last minute pledge spurt, and has reached over 43k, netting everyone a poster with art and thanks for all the backers. At 11 hours left, there's still a chance of reaching 45k, unlocking stickers for the apprentice and royal guard meeples, and a goal that's more of a stretch (hurr) is sitting at 50k, for a higher quality gem bag.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm fairly excited for Crone, and haven't seen it mentioned 'round these parts. It's a pretty neat little tabletop roleplaying card game that works a bit like Sentinels of the Multiverse, it's still got 20 days to go and has already doubled its (admittedly small) project goal, and the beta rules are available for free.

I did an interview with them about it, too.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 25, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So on my MERCS: Recon backing, I went for the whole enchilada. Not the 1500 pledge, but I should be getting everything worth taking in the line. Anyone know if, in the tabletop skirmish game, you can mix factions? Or is it a single faction per side kind of game? I mean that won't be something that sways my pledge but I am going to use my Recon minis in the skirmish game and I'm just curious.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And Tower just got past 45k. I doubt it'll manage to get another 5k in the 7 hours left, but people can dream.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

So on my MERCS: Recon backing, I went for the whole enchilada. Not the 1500 pledge, but I should be getting everything worth taking in the line. Anyone know if, in the tabletop skirmish game, you can mix factions? Or is it a single faction per side kind of game? I mean that won't be something that sways my pledge but I am going to use my Recon minis in the skirmish game and I'm just curious.
I want to say it is single faction only.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

signalnoise posted:

It is single-faction per side with the exception of the 'Houses'. They can take a diplomat type character which allows you to field a unit form any faction alongside your usual house troops IIRC.

That Tower game looks kinda fun. Simple games like are about all that fly with my group as we're usually to chatty to actually learn rules.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Sanguine posted:

First Myth and now this? Those Mercs guys get all my cash.

Something about a corporate dystopia of little mans murdering each other just works for me. I'm keen to see how it works, hopefully it's more simple than Myth - something like Deadzone with a bit more micro-managing of each soldier would be just right.

I just hope they learn to write better rulebooks than they did with Myth. That thing's worse than the Arkham Horror rulebook.

(They're currently working on a FAQ and a better rulebook that has things like, say, how to set up the game)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sefer posted:

I just hope they learn to write better rulebooks than they did with Myth. That thing's worse than the Arkham Horror rulebook.

(They're currently working on a FAQ and a better rulebook that has things like, say, how to set up the game)

The Myth manual is really frustrating. I've only gotten one group to try the game out and it took us so long to figure out how stuff works that it basically killed all enthusiasm for it, and we had no clue how to actually setup a quest so we just went with Slaughterfield, between the lack of interesting story elements/traps and how slow figuring out combat was it went over really poorly. I was able to google around and find FAQs/Errata that cleared up most things but the first impression was pretty poor.

I'm still in for Mercs though, the Myth miniatures turned out OK and I've been interested in the Mercs tabletop game for a while so even if the board game sucks I can just play the tabletop game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

M. Night Skymall posted:

The Myth manual is really frustrating. I've only gotten one group to try the game out and it took us so long to figure out how stuff works that it basically killed all enthusiasm for it, and we had no clue how to actually setup a quest so we just went with Slaughterfield, between the lack of interesting story elements/traps and how slow figuring out combat was it went over really poorly. I was able to google around and find FAQs/Errata that cleared up most things but the first impression was pretty poor.

I'm still in for Mercs though, the Myth miniatures turned out OK and I've been interested in the Mercs tabletop game for a while so even if the board game sucks I can just play the tabletop game.

Wait, so their first product had a rulebook so bad you couldn't play, and what you could play was uninteresting, but you're still giving them money for another product?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sanguine posted:

It is single-faction per side with the exception of the 'Houses'. They can take a diplomat type character which allows you to field a unit form any faction alongside your usual house troops IIRC.

I can deal with that. So weird to see a game with 10 factions that costs less than 600 dollars to own every mini in the game though. I'm super pumped about that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The Ancient World looks really nice. I think it's Laukat's best art so far from the bit I've seen, the rules are up on BGG and look solid and the civ-building meets Shadow of the Colossus flavor really works for me.

I'm finding that I'm getting burned out on backing computer games but that the TT offerings just get better and better...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Wait, so their first product had a rulebook so bad you couldn't play, and what you could play was uninteresting, but you're still giving them money for another product?

I am pretty much just giving them money for a discounted rate on the skirmish game myself. The quick look rules for the skirmish game were pretty easy to understand, and the rulebook you get out of the kickstarter is their 2.0 book so :toot:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Crackbone posted:

The skirmish game is an existing product that I'm already interested in, it's still cheaper to buy into it via the kickstarter for the related boardgame than it is otherwise. But really it's me, I'm the terrible people who kickstart things for the miniatures and just shrug when the game is awful. To be fair I actually enjoyed the game, once I figured out what was going on, the people I was playing with weren't as convinced though. I also kickstarted Zombicide and I've played that once and although it was easy to figure out how to play and had a reasonable tutorial I have basically no interest in playing the game again, as a comparison.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sefer posted:

Yikes. Well, there is my incentive to post my copy on Ebay.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yikes. Well, there is my incentive to post my copy on Ebay.

I'm reading through it now, and it's really really bad. I'm utterly confused from the getgo.

What gets me worse is just how generic it is. It's got a bit of quotes from various other authors (not particularly inspired ones at that) like Tolkein , Baum, and the Bible, but I don't think I've stumbled onto a single piece of its own story yet.

And ugh. Bad art. Bad, bad art.

Also, am I just missing some cards here? There were none included for the sixth class, despite getting the figure and the sleeves for it, and despite there being stuff in the manual for Journeyman, Master, and Agent ability cards, they seem to be completely absent from the basic decks which kinda eliminates 3/4 of the character advancement, it seems. Like, I can grow my character by taking a second copy of a skill he already has. Yaaay? So am I missing a deck, or are those supposed to come later? I've got a ton of leftover sleeves.

I guess on the upside the models that did come with it are pretty good, if a little weird on their specialized slotta bases. I mean, they're pre-assembled, which is great, but with these giant gaps cut out that I'm going to have to fill, awkwardly, around the permanently installed models. Fun sculpts, though. They'll look good painted up.

To its credit, the little metal coins are awesome. Great cuts. They're the best looking accessory coins I've seen, no doubt.

My hero boards are warped, but not awfully so. Bad enough to spin on the table. The terrain tiles are nice, if darkly printed and hard to see the various lines and details and icons on, much like Sedition Wars was.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The class chapters have some game fiction in them, as do the story quests. The writing's not really stellar, admittedly. They don't appear to have included a figure for the Trickster as far as I can tell. Perhaps you're referring to the metal figurine that was shipped outside the game box with the metal coins, hero tokens and card sleeves? If so, that's the Torchbearer follower.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

malkav11 posted:

The class chapters have some game fiction in them, as do the story quests. The writing's not really stellar, admittedly. They don't appear to have included a figure for the Trickster as far as I can tell. Perhaps you're referring to the metal figurine that was shipped outside the game box with the metal coins, hero tokens and card sleeves? If so, that's the Torchbearer follower.

Yeah, but even that fluff is completely generic and doesn't tell you anything about this setting. Take the Apprentice. Infers that enemies are called Iathi, has some spell called Fingers of Ia, but is there any snippet of a story in there as to what any of that means?

Torchbearer follower, is it? Shame that neither Torchbearer or Followers are in the index or as far as I can tell anywhere else in the book. What's he do?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Fix posted:

Yeah, but even that fluff is completely generic and doesn't tell you anything about this setting. Take the Apprentice. Infers that enemies are called Iathi, has some spell called Fingers of Ia, but is there any snippet of a story in there as to what any of that means?

Torchbearer follower, is it? Shame that neither Torchbearer or Followers are in the index or as far as I can tell anywhere else in the book. What's he do?

This month was mostly base game stuff, April for expanded content (include those 180+ miniatures you should be getting if you backed at the Apprentice level.)

But, yet, gently caress that rule book. Apparently there is a hero board, and then you draw a card. Still don't know which. I am very happy with the production quality though. Excited for better rules/FAQs.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Here is a link to the Myth website with set up rules, character sheets, and intro quest, and more.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Crackbone posted:

Their first game was the skirmish game, which they released off their own back. After some feedback (before my time) they had a pretty solid rule book, and they had some nifty features like the cards doubled as LOS and range/movement rulers.

I think with Myth (their first kickstarted game) they bit off way more then they could swallow through promising the world, and rather than delay majorly they decided to get out the art and pretty bits solidly - and rushed the rule presentation. Would a delay have been better? Probably, but they are fairly honest with many things. And their main communications guy is so heart-warmingly autistic.

There's been much worse kickstarters, and the good ones tend to be well organised groups like Mantic (though I still hate that plesin stuff). Given the art is largely done for this kickstarter and they have most the minis made I'm happy to chip in. They seem to find a nice balance between fresh rules and well-working systems. When they can actually explain themselves, that is.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fix posted:

Good question! He's a KS exclusive, so it's not surprising they didn't include rules in the game box for him, but like including sleeves for one of the heroes that hasn't shipped yet, I get the impression that he got shipped just because they had him in stock and could get it out with the base game, not because they had rules ready for using him. A quick Google search does turn up this BGG thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1140410/torchbearer-rules

I don't know who Endevor is so I have no idea if that's considered official.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
Deck of Legends update from today:

HEY everyone! Sorry it's been so long since the last update things have been busy. I'm still working on getting work all put together on Deck of Legends. It turns out that taking on a huge 72 image project all on your own and having to do all the layout and such is:

a) Time consuming

and

b)Stressful.

Anyways. Most of the art is done, I got a few main pieces left to put together and we're looking at May for shipping out. The decks are the only things left to be ordered at this point, I have all the bookmarks, all the pins, all the dicebags, all the prints and posters, boxes and envelopes.

OH about bookmarks. EVERYONE is getting bookmarks. The printer I used for them prints in units of 1000 for bookmarks so I have enough for everyone.

I plan on ordering a sampler deck by the end of this week so that I can check on contrast and darkness of cards and make any changes that need to be made.

LESSONS LEARNED

This was my first kickstarter and I found out that I was a bit too ambitious with this project and will try to reign it in for next time and try to find some people to help spread the work load around so it's not just on my shoulders.

I also learned that I need to quadruple check my math because costs don't always add up right.

Thank you everyone for being patient with me so far.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

The Ancient World looks really nice. I think it's Laukat's best art so far from the bit I've seen, the rules are up on BGG and look solid and the civ-building meets Shadow of the Colossus flavor really works for me.

I'm finding that I'm getting burned out on backing computer games but that the TT offerings just get better and better...

Well glad I checked this thread. Think...I'll....be....backing this. Looks like something I would enjoy

Also...WTF has this thread done to me?!?!? I find myself checking the kickstarter site + this thread every other day or so to see if there is anything else I want to throw money at.
So far only backing this one and catacombs though so not going to crazy yet :dance:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Well glad I checked this thread. Think...I'll....be....backing this. Looks like something I would enjoy

Also...WTF has this thread done to me?!?!? I find myself checking the kickstarter site + this thread every other day or so to see if there is anything else I want to throw money at.
So far only backing this one and catacombs though so not going to crazy yet :dance:

I'd think about backing this if it wasn't a whole 55 bucks to ship. That's more than the game itself!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

I'd think about backing this if it wasn't a whole 55 bucks to ship. That's more than the game itself!

Where are you at? Guess I lucked out being in the US :/

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Asia I'm guessing? Israel is kind of in a weird place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Man, Tokaido was really hard to resist backing, with all the high-quality stuff you'd be getting. If I hadn't just backed Rebecca Guay's kickstarter, it would have been a whole lot harder.

Ancient World looks intriguing, might have a new thing to agonize over.

• Locked thread