Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

It wont be as good by any means (christ I think eagle is the last good takamura fight we've even got) but if nothing else it'd be better than the manga just because the pacing will improve.

I thought Miyata vs RBJ was pretty good. Mashiba vs Sawamura for all the fouls, Itagaki vs Kyousuke to see Itagaki get loving wiped. Of course, none of these fights would end up being in the same season I think so it would be pretty lean pickings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

A 4th Season wouldn't be TOO bad...I think it'd be

Itagaki vs Flicker dude (forget his name, uses fouls) - Meh, but it'll do for a starter
Ippo vs Karasawa - The last truly good Ippo fight and the best match Ippo has ever boxed. I wish it was in this series.
Itagaki vs Imai - Actually pretty ace? I'm hyped for it.
Ippo vs Take - uggghh but well, they'll probably rush it
Miyata's "worst fight ever" - the end of this was brutal in the manga
Kimura & Aoki's rematches - Why did you do this George?
Mashiba vs Sawamura - hell yes

One issue is that the further through the seasons they get, the less cohesive each series will seem as a whole. Mashiba vs Sawamura would definitely work as a finale for a 4th season in terms of epic badassery, but it's weird from a character perspective. So we'll have a season with a lot of focus on Itagaki and Ippo taking a back seat.

I've been re-reading the chapters around this time. Ippo was supposed to fight Miyata after they both had their defences...then Randy Boy Junior fucks it up. I get that the arc was designed to give a reason for Ippo to go to the world rather than stop with Miyata, but the pacing at that point felt like it was leading up to something more meaningful than years of Ippo fighting OPBF champions in fights that ranged from medicore (Jimmy Sisfa) to downright atrocious (Woli).

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
New Ippo episode up. Man, I forgot how stupidly badass the end of this fight was. That final combo from Takamura was goddamn vicious.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Frabba posted:

New Ippo episode up. Man, I forgot how stupidly badass the end of this fight was. That final combo from Takamura was goddamn vicious.

gently caress, that was really goddamn good. It's not quite Takamura vs. Hawk, but let's be honest, nothing will ever be.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

gently caress, that was really goddamn good. It's not quite Takamura vs. Hawk, but let's be honest, nothing will ever be.

The end was :unsmith:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Still pisses me off a bit that the second season overdid it and made it sort of silly instead of badass.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So is the manga still going or what?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Yeah it is just slow to get scanned/translated. Not very popular or something, I dunno.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
I asked the same question a few weeks ago since I didnt see updates on manga stream but the raw scans are out there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bushmaori posted:

Yeah it is just slow to get scanned/translated. Not very popular or something, I dunno.

The last arc or two have gotten a lot better too... kinda wish they would get it out more routinely.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Ippo gets punched a bunch, gets close to Gonzalez and then the bell rings. Ippo punches him really hard at some point. That's probably what happens in the next 20 chapters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ippo gets punched a bunch, gets close to Gonzalez and then the bell rings. Ippo punches him really hard at some point. That's probably what happens in the next 20 chapters.
It's...almost as if you were really there.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Mori? Is that you?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
!? New episode is of the flashback/WWII arc!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

No poo poo right?? I was like "hey wait a minute..."

I guess its not a stand alone special!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

No poo poo right?? I was like "hey wait a minute..."

I guess its not a stand alone special!

I think it was always meant to just be the last 4 episodes and not something "special" on its own.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

I think it was always meant to just be the last 4 episodes and not something "special" on its own.

Looking at the announcement that seems to be the case but the way it was presented was confusing, what with calling them specials and specifically naming the date they begin airing.

Whatever I was mistaken it's rad go flashback arc~

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Episode 23 is out and is the 2nd episode of the WW2 arc (2 of 4).

The direction on the arc so far is outstanding. This episode was one of the most intense I've seen in an anime for a while, mainly the handling of Nekota being punch drunk.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yay more chapters out. It's a good thing Morikawa recovered from his illness.

Basically more punching happened in the 3 chapters. So yeah.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Chapters own, fight owns, I want this one animated for sure.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You sure? Latest I'm seeing is 1042.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

http://mangastream.com/ has them

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

If i headbutt his fist enough, he'll start to lose confidence and i'll win!

...I mean.... we joke but apparently that's his main tactic!

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Blinks77 posted:

Did you expect anything different from a fight that was basically billed as shounen spirit versus machismo?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Frabba posted:

Did you expect anything different from a fight that was basically billed as shounen spirit versus machismo?

I was hoping for something a bit more akin to the Karasawa fight, if not anything so lop sided.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wow. I'll admit I'm actually a bit surprised at how good that is. Acknowledging Ippos ridiculous tactics and durability, and that chapter seemed long as poo poo compared to a lot we've seen.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Blinks77 posted:

"I am bleeding, making me the victor!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sooo, what's the catch? Does Gonzalez pull out a gun or know how to magically start blocking/countering everything?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I think the catch is that Gonzalez can win if he just keeps doing what he's doing, but Ippo and his burning shonen spirit will eventually get to him and make him fall back on his "dirty habit". Whatever that is.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I hope its pcp and gonzolaz becomes unstoppable by the blows of mortal men

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He probably just commits fouls when he gets into in-fights or something stupid like that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nah; it's probably why Martinez keeps kicking his rear end over and over. He probably just gets mad and brawls and we all know how those turn out when you try them with Ippo.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I suspect his bad habit will be a willingness to trade blows with someone.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

furiouskoala posted:

I suspect his bad habit will be a willingness to trade blows with someone.

As soon as a Seņorita is present Martinez has to look tough (That's Machismo Rule) and starts trading blows, yeah.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I don't know, i'm really excited by the way this is playing out. Its a pretty interesting dilemma, such a basic style but with his durability and willingness to take hits to get in, it feels like there is really not point in the ring where you are at an advantage.

It's all a mental trick though, if Gonzy can just keep at a distance and keep banging Ippo's head in without worrying about his fist, he would win. Ippo is just a raging bull - he uses his persistance and insane durability to pressure you into making mistakes. And all he really needs is one mistake.
Although i'm wondering who would be able to beat Ippo. I think the only ways to beat him are to out-muscle him, which noone at his weight class will ever do, or to basically do what Gonzales is doing but without making any mistakes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else ever wonder that with all the blows he takes to his skull, Ippo is hallucinating all these fights after a certain point in the past of the series series and he's just a vegetable or something dreaming all this up?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bisse posted:

I don't know, i'm really excited by the way this is playing out. Its a pretty interesting dilemma, such a basic style but with his durability and willingness to take hits to get in, it feels like there is really not point in the ring where you are at an advantage.

It's all a mental trick though, if Gonzy can just keep at a distance and keep banging Ippo's head in without worrying about his fist, he would win. Ippo is just a raging bull - he uses his persistance and insane durability to pressure you into making mistakes. And all he really needs is one mistake.
Although i'm wondering who would be able to beat Ippo. I think the only ways to beat him are to out-muscle him, which noone at his weight class will ever do, or to basically do what Gonzales is doing but without making any mistakes.

Just to be clear, Date beat Ippo convincingly and then got utterly demolished by Martinez. And Date certainly didn't out-muscle him and didn't resembl Gonzales at all. There's other solutions.

Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002

Jiro posted:

Anyone else ever wonder that with all the blows he takes to his skull, Ippo is hallucinating all these fights after a certain point in the past of the series series and he's just a vegetable or something dreaming all this up?

This is the best explanation I've heard for the Woli fight. I mean, a professional boxing monkey child? Sounds like a dream to me. I wonder if we could pinpoint which fight put him into his vegetative state.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Oh no guys, ALF has longer arms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So they're talking about how well the fight is going, which means Ippo is going to get laid the gently caress out here in a bit.