Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
These winner patterns are interesting. Even in Football, all World Cup holders come from South America or Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hogge Wild posted:

Was it really? Wikipedia disagrees, and the name could mean "iron", and mean that he was a blacksmith or that he was named after a famous warrior who had "Iron" as a nickname.

Edit: Iron Ruler is pretty boss name, but I think that the best ruler name is The First Emperor.

You're confusing Temujin and Genghis Khan. Wikipedia states that Temujin means iron something-or-other, Genghis Khan means Universal (Or if based on the word zheng, as the alternate theory there states, True/Just) King.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

duodenum posted:

Rugby Union

edit: says it on the map, didn't notice that, thought it was an actual question

I think the question was more like "what explains which countries play rugby?". I reckon it's something like rugby getting some kinda hold in places like Italy or Argentina before football.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Medieval Medic posted:

We should probably just append "the Butcher" to every military ruler, and most non military rulers so that their virtues always come second to their crimes.

If one must be a butcher to lead, then butchery will just be seen as the cost of doing business.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Medieval Medic posted:

We should probably just append "the Butcher" to every military ruler, and most non military rulers so that their virtues always come second to their crimes.

Fun historical note: Pompey's father was called Pompey Carnifex (Pompey the Butcher) for massacring a town of civilians during the Social War. Supposedly it was considered an improvement, because his last name was Pompey Strabo (Pompey the Crosseyed).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Was it really? Wikipedia disagrees, and the name could mean "iron", and mean that he was a blacksmith or that he was named after a famous warrior who had "Iron" as a nickname.

Edit: Iron Ruler is pretty boss name, but I think that the best ruler name is The First Emperor.

I've heard Genghis Khan meant several things, including: Ruler of the Universe and Ruler of All People who Live in Felt Tents. For the Mongols these might have been virtually synonymous, which is cute.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Darth Various posted:

Map of countries that actually get snow in winter winners of the Ice Hockey World Championships.

Green: Countries that have won the Ice Hockey World Championships 1 time
Blue: Countries that have won the Ice Hockey World Championships 2 times or more :911:
Yellow: Countries that have won the Ice Hockey World Championships 5 times or more :sweden:
Red: Countries that have won the Ice Hockey World Championships 10 times or more
Purple: Countries that have won the Ice Hockey World Championships 20 times or more :canada: :ussr:

Source

Russia only has four wins. The Czech Republic six.

Canada has the most at 24, followed by the Soviet Union at 22, and Sweden at nine.

Map is wrong. :colbert:

Bandy
World Championship best finish

Blue: Gold
Red: Silver
Green: Bronze

Truly a world championship.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 25, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Does a positive trade balance mean that country exports more than it receives, or the other way around?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Try and find a pattern from this sporting event map:

Countries that hosted the event become champion, or vice versa?

Anyway, Americans think they are so cool with their "American Football". As this map shows, have them take their thick fluffy armour off and those wussies suddenly can't get past the pool stage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland posted:

Does a positive trade balance mean that country exports more than it receives, or the other way around?

It means you sell more than buy so yes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Countries that hosted the event become champion, or vice versa?

Anyway, Americans think they are so cool with their "American Football". As this map shows, have them take their thick fluffy armour off and those wussies suddenly can't get past the pool stage.

Much like boxing gloves actually make boxers take more physical punishment because they protect the implements that do all the punishing, pads and helmets in football lead to a more physically punishing game. If America's rugby team had 1.95m 110kg players that could cover 40 meters in under 5 seconds like they do in gridiron football the results would probably be a bit different.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Count Roland posted:

Negative values mean they have a trade deficit with Russia, they import more than export. Almost all of it is gas/oil

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We're #1! :denmark: Just look at that, 5 times better than the runner-up.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

rscott posted:

Much like boxing gloves actually make boxers take more physical punishment because they protect the implements that do all the punishing, pads and helmets in football lead to a more physically punishing game. If America's rugby team had 1.95m 110kg players that could cover 40 meters in under 5 seconds like they do in gridiron football the results would probably be a bit different.

It's also a different game. They regularly do hits in the NFL that could kill someone if they didn't have pads on, hits that are illegal in rugby. So comparing the two is cute in this whole "us" vs "them" thing, but they really aren't comparable. One is stop-start, while the other can be almost constant running at times. You train for different athletes in those two very different situations.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Speaking of games only played by a few countries, I present to you Oina :eurovision:

This video explains how it's played
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6gzU3vH4XA

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ras Het posted:

I think the question was more like "what explains which countries play rugby?". I reckon it's something like rugby getting some kinda hold in places like Italy or Argentina before football.

Yeah this was the question. Why do Argentina, Japan and Georgia have world class rugby teams but Armenia, China and Chile don't? There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who plays rugby.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Why do... Japan and Georgia have world class rugby teams

They don't - "World Class" probably describes the ten countries that play in the six nations and the Rugby Championship; and even that's being generous towards Italy and Scotland...

The nations which have appeared in the Rugby League world cup before 2013. Its a little out of date now: America and Italy qualified for the last one, and Scotland managed to get to the quarter finals!

I was hoping that there would be a map on the AFL International Cup page, but there sadly isn't. Ireland are the only team to have won it, and that's only because Australia don't enter!

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Is that Lebanon playing rugby ?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

How is Ireland so dependent on Russian energy, yet still has a positive balance of trade? What are they selling back to Russia? Or am I reading this thing wrong?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

IceAgeComing posted:

They don't - "World Class" probably describes the ten countries that play in the six nations and the Rugby Championship; and even that's being generous towards Italy and Scotland...

I'll have you know that Japan produced the world's leading test match try scorer!

Also they are hosting the world cup in 2019.

Family Values posted:

How is Ireland so dependent on Russian energy, yet still has a positive balance of trade? What are they selling back to Russia? Or am I reading this thing wrong?

Well Ireland is a small country so they probably make the money back by exporting booze and "financial services"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Family Values posted:

Pharmaceuticals? That's half their exports from the looks of it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pharmaceuticals? That's half their exports from the looks of it.

Basically Ireland is supporting Big Krokodil in Russia.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

woah.jpg x2

(though admittedly Europe got pretty hosed up in the process)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

System Metternich posted:

(though admittedly Europe got pretty hosed up in the process)

I assume the mind blowing thing here is supposed how similar the ocean-land inverted Earth looks to a regular Earth flipped "upside down"? Because MINDBLOWN

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Farecoal posted:

I assume the mind blowing thing here is supposed how similar the ocean-land inverted Earth looks to a regular Earth flipped "upside down"? Because MINDBLOWN

Well, once you contort the shapes and sizes of the continents to make it work of course.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Family Values posted:

I think the "energy dependence" map is the percent of energy used that originates from all sources outside the country, not just from Russia.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

PittTheElder posted:

Well, once you contort the shapes and sizes of the continents to make it work of course.
A non-distorted reverse map:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Negative Entropy posted:

A non-distorted reverse map:

This guy makes a ton of models of alternate earths and then goes off the wall a little bit and imagines what sort of crazy fantasy creatures would live there. Its still a great read:

http://www.worlddreambank.org/I/INV.HTM

http://www.worlddreambank.org/A/ABY.HTM

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Negative Entropy posted:

You can argue that point with many empires. Most empires took over territories that previously were empires themselves or were kingdoms.

You could, but Alexander's empire immediately poo poo the bed and dissolved into a handful of distinct warring states about six seconds after his death. An empire usually implies a certain sort of infrastructure, cultural unification, or longevity that Alexander and his successor states simply never achieved.

Well, Ptolemy and his clan of weird inbred cosplayers kept certain old practices of Egypt alive for a while, but other than that...

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Kalos posted:

You could, but Alexander's empire immediately poo poo the bed and dissolved into a handful of distinct warring states about six seconds after his death. An empire usually implies a certain sort of infrastructure, cultural unification, or longevity that Alexander and his successor states simply never achieved.

Well, Ptolemy and his clan of weird inbred cosplayers kept certain old practices of Egypt alive for a while, but other than that...
True, but the Mongol Empire ultimately broke apart due to infighting as well, albeit over a longer time because the Mongols had a pre-established form of selecting leaders that held off factionalism until the Toluid Civil War.
Compared to the Hellenic kingdoms the Mongols didn't last long either. I find it difficult to go about comparing empires because there are so many metrics and points of contention over what makes a "successful"empire.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yeah this was the question. Why do Argentina, Japan and Georgia have world class rugby teams but Armenia, China and Chile don't? There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who plays rugby.

Japan actually has a surprisingly strong rugby following, but they've been hamstrung by the fact that university level rugby is seen as more important in many ways, and a lot of systemic issues with their coaching. Though things are changing and they're finally internationalizing more and opening themselves to foreign teaching methods and competition. As long as they don't lose all their popularity to soccer in the meantime, in a decade they could potentially be competitive at the global level.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Alexander "The Great"

In Central Asia he's known as Alexander the Terrible. Basically just some dude who showed up, killed a bunch of people then left.

Come to think of it Central Asia has met a lot of people like that.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
They remember Genghis Khan and Timur pretty favorably though, right?

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

made of bees posted:

They remember Genghis Khan and Timur pretty favorably though, right?
It's a lot easier to remember your native boy favourably than a foreign invader. Central Asia was the core region of both of these empires and it also meant that they didn't really suffer the worst aspects of the conquests anyways unlike places like Persia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Antineutrino map of the world:

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/8885539b25a7

Note: the map is made from data from the IAEA about reactors, they aren't measuring anti-neutrinos. Which I assume is why there doesn't seem to be anything in Iran, despite their nuclear program.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Huh! I didn't know that South Korea was that heavily invested in nuclear power.

Also, wait, what -- we can detect antineutrinos easily enough to make badass maps like this, but we can barely detect neutrinos with billion-dollar gajillion-gallon underground pools? Do antineutrinos not interact weakly with matter like their counterparts?

EDIT:

Count Roland posted:

You missed my note! The map is not measurements, it is extrapolations based on neutrino activity from nuclear reactors.

Oh woops! :blush: I am such a doofus! Hahah.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 26, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Huh! I didn't know that South Korea was that heavily invested in nuclear power.

Also, wait, what -- we can detect antineutrinos easily enough to make badass maps like this, but we can barely detect neutrinos with billion-dollar gajillion-gallon underwater pools? Do antineutrinos not interact weakly with matter like their counterparts?

You missed my note! The map is not measurements, it is extrapolations based on neutrino activity from nuclear reactors.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Why the hell has 51% - 100% been mashed together? Nordic Countries looking good though.