Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I'm gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
good snipe

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I think wizard master is trying to tell us something

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

JawKnee posted:

you look like Joseph Gordon Levitt

no, I don't

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

if thats you in that picture, you do in that particular picture anyway.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I bought hair clips with bugs on them! :buddy:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Schmetterling posted:

link

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not her in the picture

Schmetterling posted:

:3: what kind of bugs?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Fetus Tree posted:

That's not me though, I'm a lady chatting in the ladies' chatting thread. I fucken wish I could take a selfie with a Quokka.

Schmetterling posted:

I once DIYed these for a halloween costume, bugs are cool :)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

InvisibleMonkey posted:

That's not me though, I'm a lady chatting in the ladies' chatting thread. I fucken wish I could take a selfie with a Quokka.

sorry mang, figured you were a dude. yalls thread has more dudes than the mans thread tbh

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Fetus Tree posted:

sorry mang, figured you were a dude. yalls thread has more dudes than the mans thread tbh

We are stronger and cooler than the manthread for sure, yes

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

I think that's more because the manthread has fewer participants, the majority of us are female

it is funny to me that even in the ladychat thread, the automatic assumption is that a poster is male

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Doesn't matter where you post, people will think you're a dude. just as well, not a lot of good things come from revealing your secret vagina-club membership online, unless you really love getting PMs from desperate goons

e: like, I once posted "i'm girl tho" in response to something and within literally seconds I had a PM that said "HEY, U SEEM COOL ;)"

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
im having i think my first root beer float

i might be dying

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Bugz with bling

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
what do i do with all this foam

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Schmetterling posted:

Bugz with bling

diva :h:

for real though i'd wear the grasshopper all the time

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.

:3:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
lol

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Portals posted:

I think that's more because the manthread has fewer participants, the majority of us are female

it is funny to me that even in the ladychat thread, the automatic assumption is that a poster is male

Goons are susceptible to reverse psychology I guess.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

LOVE ME

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

wow rude :mad:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

damnit my ideas are apparently not original at all

i also can't sleep. It's 4:17 in the morning.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fabulist posted:

damnit my ideas are apparently not original at all

i also can't sleep. It's 4:17 in the morning.
hey u seem cool ;-*

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Avshalom posted:

hey u seem cool ;-*

Hey behbey :swoon:

I've been meaning to ask you, could I possibly use your 'hair poofing up to scare away a hot dude' gif at the top of my frizzy hair blogpost? I'd give you as much credit/shameless linking as you want.

It's okay to say no, I just think it would be awesome to have it in the post.

edit: obv you know it's okay to say no, I meant I wouldn't start any ladythread drama or hold it against you. derp brain words

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Aack!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I'm going to ikea, pray for me

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

all ladies do this at least once a month

i'm getting too much amusement out of naming my plagues 'Misandry' in Plague, Inc. It's just too funny when it pops up with "Misandry is spreading!" and "Misandry has killed all life on earth."

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
its hard to get a gif under 30kb. why is the avatar size limit so low <:mad:>

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Chiba City Blues posted:

its hard to get a gif under 30kb. why is the avatar size limit so low <:mad:>

so that cool kids can have big avas to show how tuff and sweet they are

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

so that cool kids can have big avas to show how tuff and sweet they are

gently caress you cool kid

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
we have feelings too :(

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

feelings like "radical"

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i am callous and cold hearted

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I actually grew up watching the Godzilla franchise almost exclusively. It was only when I finally discovered hobbyist magazines like G-Fan that I gained some comprehension that there were franchises outside of the Godzilla universe. When I finally ended up watching Gamera movies (Shout Factory made that a lot easier), I wasn't really pleased or even that fascinated by what I saw. I mean, sure, it was goofy, and the stark juxtaposition between Yuasa's mild, upbeat direction and the morbid violence obviously produced some moments of genuine shock, but just in terms of drama, the Gamera movies kind of pale in comparison to Honda's films (although, of course, Gamera itself is basically a cynical rip-off of Gojira, and even makes direct reference to that film's inspiration, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms). Yuasa obviously worked with even smaller budgets than Honda and Tsubaraya got, and it's reflected in the more overtly toyish quality of everything in the Gamera films. Gamera in the Showa era is a lot less like Godzilla and more like a giant Winnie the Pooh. All his enemies are hodgepodges of 'powers' that don't necessarily have any congruence with what they are (Guiron has a giant knife for a head, but this knife also shoots giant throwing stars that boomerang back to him; Barugon alone is a case study in completely abstract weirdness; and, of course, Jiger), but on the other end they often act with so much more visceral grotesqueness than any of Godzilla's villains. I'm especially thinking of Jiger's literally impregnating Gamera, and the child protagonists having to hop in a bathysphere (more Beast from 20,000 Fathoms imagery) and go INSIDE the monster. It's easy to see why these films started drawing audiences away from Godzilla, and why those films, after Honda's effective retirement and Jun Fukuda's truly mediocre by comparison Ebirah and Son of Godzilla (the former, especially, which wasn't even supposed to be a Godzilla film), began to imitate the style of action and monsters depicted in Gamera films (principally, magic, indefinable space monsters), except the slightly bigger budget but also more competent special effects direction actually making the Godzilla films distinctly more cynical. There's a notable difference in tone when Gyaos's beam slices through Gamera's arm and it spews green blood, and when Gigan's blade cuts Godzilla's shoulder and blood spews into the air distinctly like a contemporary action movie.

Juxtaposing the differences in tone between Godzilla and Gamera, one realizes just how uniquely Westernized the Godzilla films are, similar to how some people accuse Kurosawa of being influenced primarily by American directors like Ford, his popularity distracting from more distinctly 'Japanese' filmmakers. Obviously, Godzilla is a creature that comes out of Japan's ambivalent, post-WWII relationship with the West. But the influence of Western iconography and religion is all over Mothra, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. The monsters reflect this. Mothra is explicitly associated with Christianity, or at least the cross as a universalized symbol of spirit, while Ghidorah is a golden dragon that collides signifiers of Western and more classically Eastern influence. There's a conspicuously recurring theme of resurrection and transformation: Mothra transforming from larva to adult; dying fighting Godzilla, her eggs hatching to release two new monsters in her place, a reference to the Greek Hydra as well as an image of the Trinity; King Kong being revived and supercharged by lightning. Godzilla and Rodan on the other hand, along with Anguirus, become more grounded, earthy monsters with an ambiguous sense of morality, Godzilla literally saying (courtesy of fairy translations) that he is cognizant of humanity and actively hates them. In either case, Tsubaraya's special effects photography is integral in giving them scope, weight, and awe.

The Gamera monsters, on the other hand, are more similar to traditional Japanese yokai, and it's impossible to ignore how both themes associated with Godzilla (respecting the overpowering might of nature, as well as forging into a future of international pacifism and technological progress) is co-opted, but importantly filtered through the vessels of children. Frequently, this results in the laughable, ethical void of the Gamera films. Think of the little boy endangering himself and others by constantly trying to subvert plans to kill Gamera. Yuasa's films are clearly intended as kinds of modern fairy tales in a way that Honda films didn't really replicate because their entertainment of children weren't often reflected in narratives primarily focused on children. The clear exception is All Monsters Attack, which, to me, is Honda's most highly underrated entry. But even there, with the recurring character of the toymaker, Honda keeps the realm of whimsy in the microcosmic and unconscious. He, as with Yuasa, clearly understands that kids identify with monsters because they offer a vessel to vicariously visit destruction on a world that is too big for them just as it is too small for the monsters. Yuasa's films, however, never got explicit about it. In fact, his films are quite dependent upon accepting their bogus, saccharine logic that, no, adults really should listen to children when they tell them about the two "alien women" who "abducted" and "tried to eat" them while Gamera (the turtle's shell the ultimate symbol of fortification and protection) fends off the uberphallic Guiron. But that's the trade off, you can't watch Gamera movies the same way that you watch Godzilla films because you're trading in a strange realism for a nonsense world of arbitrary signifiers that you're not necessarily gonna totally comprehend.

What's interesting is that, when I sat down to watch Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, what became quite evident was that Yusuke Kaneko wasn't really influenced by either the Showa Gamera or the Heisei Godzilla, although the better special effects reflect a total abandonment of Yuasa's whimsy, and the monsters now look pretty much like anything that would appear in a Godzilla movie. On the other hand, I noticed the repetition of the image of canaries in a cage, a motif that was a signature of Honda, immediately giving me the impression that Kaneko was deliberately harkening back to Gojira. It makes sense that the same director would go on to do Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, the best of the Millennium Godzilla films, and engage in the same kind of conscious subversion, but this time inflecting Godzilla with the more unambiguous 'magic' of the Gamera films, Godzilla now being manifested by the collective power of traumatized souls rather than any explicitly 'scientific' or technological cause.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

step aside posted:

I actually grew up watching the Godzilla franchise almost exclusively. It was only when I finally discovered hobbyist magazines like G-Fan that I gained some comprehension that there were franchises outside of the Godzilla universe. When I finally ended up watching Gamera movies (Shout Factory made that a lot easier), I wasn't really pleased or even that fascinated by what I saw. I mean, sure, it was goofy, and the stark juxtaposition between Yuasa's mild, upbeat direction and the morbid violence obviously produced some moments of genuine shock, but just in terms of drama, the Gamera movies kind of pale in comparison to Honda's films (although, of course, Gamera itself is basically a cynical rip-off of Gojira, and even makes direct reference to that film's inspiration, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms). Yuasa obviously worked with even smaller budgets than Honda and Tsubaraya got, and it's reflected in the more overtly toyish quality of everything in the Gamera films. Gamera in the Showa era is a lot less like Godzilla and more like a giant Winnie the Pooh. All his enemies are hodgepodges of 'powers' that don't necessarily have any congruence with what they are (Guiron has a giant knife for a head, but this knife also shoots giant throwing stars that boomerang back to him; Barugon alone is a case study in completely abstract weirdness; and, of course, Jiger), but on the other end they often act with so much more visceral grotesqueness than any of Godzilla's villains. I'm especially thinking of Jiger's literally impregnating Gamera, and the child protagonists having to hop in a bathysphere (more Beast from 20,000 Fathoms imagery) and go INSIDE the monster. It's easy to see why these films started drawing audiences away from Godzilla, and why those films, after Honda's effective retirement and Jun Fukuda's truly mediocre by comparison Ebirah and Son of Godzilla (the former, especially, which wasn't even supposed to be a Godzilla film), began to imitate the style of action and monsters depicted in Gamera films (principally, magic, indefinable space monsters), except the slightly bigger budget but also more competent special effects direction actually making the Godzilla films distinctly more cynical. There's a notable difference in tone when Gyaos's beam slices through Gamera's arm and it spews green blood, and when Gigan's blade cuts Godzilla's shoulder and blood spews into the air distinctly like a contemporary action movie.

Juxtaposing the differences in tone between Godzilla and Gamera, one realizes just how uniquely Westernized the Godzilla films are, similar to how some people accuse Kurosawa of being influenced primarily by American directors like Ford, his popularity distracting from more distinctly 'Japanese' filmmakers. Obviously, Godzilla is a creature that comes out of Japan's ambivalent, post-WWII relationship with the West. But the influence of Western iconography and religion is all over Mothra, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. The monsters reflect this. Mothra is explicitly associated with Christianity, or at least the cross as a universalized symbol of spirit, while Ghidorah is a golden dragon that collides signifiers of Western and more classically Eastern influence. There's a conspicuously recurring theme of resurrection and transformation: Mothra transforming from larva to adult; dying fighting Godzilla, her eggs hatching to release two new monsters in her place, a reference to the Greek Hydra as well as an image of the Trinity; King Kong being revived and supercharged by lightning. Godzilla and Rodan on the other hand, along with Anguirus, become more grounded, earthy monsters with an ambiguous sense of morality, Godzilla literally saying (courtesy of fairy translations) that he is cognizant of humanity and actively hates them. In either case, Tsubaraya's special effects photography is integral in giving them scope, weight, and awe.

The Gamera monsters, on the other hand, are more similar to traditional Japanese yokai, and it's impossible to ignore how both themes associated with Godzilla (respecting the overpowering might of nature, as well as forging into a future of international pacifism and technological progress) is co-opted, but importantly filtered through the vessels of children. Frequently, this results in the laughable, ethical void of the Gamera films. Think of the little boy endangering himself and others by constantly trying to subvert plans to kill Gamera. Yuasa's films are clearly intended as kinds of modern fairy tales in a way that Honda films didn't really replicate because their entertainment of children weren't often reflected in narratives primarily focused on children. The clear exception is All Monsters Attack, which, to me, is Honda's most highly underrated entry. But even there, with the recurring character of the toymaker, Honda keeps the realm of whimsy in the microcosmic and unconscious. He, as with Yuasa, clearly understands that kids identify with monsters because they offer a vessel to vicariously visit destruction on a world that is too big for them just as it is too small for the monsters. Yuasa's films, however, never got explicit about it. In fact, his films are quite dependent upon accepting their bogus, saccharine logic that, no, adults really should listen to children when they tell them about the two "alien women" who "abducted" and "tried to eat" them while Gamera (the turtle's shell the ultimate symbol of fortification and protection) fends off the uberphallic Guiron. But that's the trade off, you can't watch Gamera movies the same way that you watch Godzilla films because you're trading in a strange realism for a nonsense world of arbitrary signifiers that you're not necessarily gonna totally comprehend.

What's interesting is that, when I sat down to watch Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, what became quite evident was that Yusuke Kaneko wasn't really influenced by either the Showa Gamera or the Heisei Godzilla, although the better special effects reflect a total abandonment of Yuasa's whimsy, and the monsters now look pretty much like anything that would appear in a Godzilla movie. On the other hand, I noticed the repetition of the image of canaries in a cage, a motif that was a signature of Honda, immediately giving me the impression that Kaneko was deliberately harkening back to Gojira. It makes sense that the same director would go on to do Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, the best of the Millennium Godzilla films, and engage in the same kind of conscious subversion, but this time inflecting Godzilla with the more unambiguous 'magic' of the Gamera films, Godzilla now being manifested by the collective power of traumatized souls rather than any explicitly 'scientific' or technological cause.
same.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I have never seen Gojira. We have a crane named after him at work, though (it's HUGE) and they have parks and stuff. I guess he's kind of a big deal. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

i have seen gojira, the band

i also used to watch the black and white movies a lot as a child

• Locked thread