Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

TetsuoTW posted:

didn't the prank basically work anyway? Whole lot of bronies pissed that someone would use their own horsefucking desires against them, to the point that they went all out on an investigation into it.

It kind of did. If I were MDE I'd be claiming some puppet mastery here even if this hadn't been the original plan. As it is it's pretty good in making both sides look silly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
This isn't entirely bad as much as it is unrealistic,

Maybe they could gain traction by the claim that the news is well-researched and that they will continue to cover existing issues, but site hits are pretty drat important for keeping afloat and I suspect they'll have a hard time keeping it up with just donations.

The goal's also a bit high and I doubt they'll make it, but they do have to hire a few writers and other journalists I guess? The question is how will they keep their readership without a big name, no heroin content goals, and without loads of ads plastered everywhere.

Edit: Oh, they have a paywall. I'm not sure if it'll work when consumers are not likely to visit more than a few times (because of the unfortunate reality that the reason the big names make money off sensationalism is because it works extremely well)

Edit 2: Okay, another cord holder. This is starting to get tiring.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Mar 25, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I watched the video and he's selling a box ? Kinda jealous of his cnc machine

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

unpacked robinhood posted:

I watched the video and he's selling a box ? Kinda jealous of his cnc machine

It's a box that looks like a tiny wooden Mac Mini. Therefore it's destined to be a success.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It's a box that looks like a tiny wooden Mac Mini. Therefore it's destined to be a success.

It really is. It's gotten more pledges in the time between me posting it and now :barf:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

TetsuoTW posted:

didn't the prank basically work anyway? Whole lot of bronies pissed that someone would use their own horsefucking desires against them, to the point that they went all out on an investigation into it.

Sam Hyde claimed on his facebook that he was trying to get rent money out of it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Well that's the second saddest reason to run a brony dating kickstarter. MDE makes me legitimately depressed. That dude needs someone to ruffle his hair and tell him it's all going to be okay.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

cord holder kickstarter posted:

They can suspend a granite tile in the air but won't mar the surface of your desk when removing

I know this is a stupid thing to complain about but that's not a granite tile he's showing in the picture. Unless it's dyed which I doubt. I suspect that dude has next to none of the competence required to see that project through.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Their pledge amount keeps climbing and climbing. They're gonna make it. :smith:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The dude's using loving Amazonian rain forest wood for his cord holder.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Those almost 10,000 early investors on Kickstarter participated in one of history’s most lucrative funding rounds from the perspective of the people receiving the funding: a $2.4 million early-stage investment in what would become a $2 billion business in a year and a half, in return for 0.0% equity.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/25/aug-1-2012-when-oculus-asked-for-donations/

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Why are people mad? "Help me make something great" And they made something great, and became billionaires doing it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The General posted:

Why are pople mad? "Help me make something great" And they made something great, and became billionaires doing it.

It's also assuming that valuation is at all accurate. It's pretty clear there's another tech bubble going on right now. You've got some of these mobile companies with a track record of success measured in months and a few million in assets being evaluated at billions. I wonder when we're going to see another "AOL buys Time Warner" situation where a massively overvalued company trades up.

Oculus has potential for sure, but the only way I would believe that kind of valuation is if someone like Valve actually shelled out that amount of money to buy the company.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Does this count?

quote:

OMG I need 20k to buy *************** food truck!!! I have so many ideas for a food trucks...and this truck is perfect!!!

So here is my proposal to you guys.

Say...I do an IPO, in the form of say...Toby Coin(code name obviously) and let's say each Coin is worth a penny, and you can buy as much Toby Coin as you want. When my food truck is up and running, you can come and spend Toby Coin just like cash, AND people paying with Toby Coin will get first dibs and uber special VIP treatments(like special tastings or door delivery).

Toby Coin will use the same technology powering bitcoin so it's totally secure. And who knows, maybe my food become such hot poo poo in the future, and the value of Toby Coin sky rockets...

Ya ya? I just need 200 people each buying 100 bucks worth of Toby Coin. You would essentially be a shareholder in my food truck...

Is anyone interested in this at all? Think possibilities...

Dim sum, ramen, takoyaki, Asian street food, misc experimental food tasting...etcetc

You don't even have to trust my cooking chops, I have cooking books, I know people with cooking books, I have google, I know people who knows how to google, and above all, I am loving amazing at following directions.

You want to eat something but too lazy to make it? Put in a request, and I ll cook it for you! Won't it be worth it just for that?

I need 200 people to each pony up 100 bucks! (you can also just buy 1 buck worth of Toby Coin )

Help me spread the words and share this post plz!

Yaaaay!"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
$45,000 to make the next Terraria/Starbound/Edge of Space!

Risks and Challenges posted:

I am currently working on a project demo to gather the perfect skills and people to make this dream a reality. I am a solo developer with a family of six I love my family and I LOVE to code. The biggest challenge will be getting the right look for the game and the time it will take to create it. I do feel confident enough though that I can accomplish this goal by December be sure to know that I will inform you if that does not become a fact. Please help support my dream and allow me the proper tools to make this wish a reality.

What's Hearthstone? Give us money for setting up an initial digital version of our card game with an eventual physical version.

:v:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The General posted:

Why are people mad? "Help me make something great" And they made something great, and became billionaires doing it.

I truly do not get it either, it seems like everyone from Notch to the developers of Starbound are crying "RIP in peace Oculus Rift! :qq:" and just sort of assuming that the "why" is completely self-evident.

The only explanation I've been able to suss out so far from some people is "Facebook only makes games for filthy casuals -> The Oculus Rift will only come out with games for filthy casuals."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

I truly do not get it either, it seems like everyone from Notch to the developers of Starbound are crying "RIP in peace Oculus Rift! :qq:" and just sort of assuming that the "why" is completely self-evident.

The only explanation I've been able to suss out so far from some people is "Facebook only makes games for filthy casuals -> The Oculus Rift will only come out with games for filthy casuals."

I don't know. The bulk of the donations, more than half in fact, where supposedly for the $300 level where you get a developer kit, with prototype headset and software. Now that Facebook owns them, are they still liable to honor those promises?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

I don't know. The bulk of the donations, more than half in fact, where supposedly for the $300 level where you get a developer kit, with prototype headset and software. Now that Facebook owns them, are they still liable to honor those promises?

Uh, yes? Contracts and obligations responsibility moving along with the purchase of a company are an explicit feature of business law.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neil Young's Pono has already collected five million with 20 days to go - will it surpass OUYA (8.6 million) as the most expensive proof that crowdfunding sucks?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

What am I supposed to be seeing in the overlay? Other than using the same (odd) colors for stats they look absolutely nothing alike.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

how me a frog posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing in the overlay? Other than using the same (odd) colors for stats they look absolutely nothing alike.

Identical game mechanics and terminology. It would have been more obvious had the poster overlaid the lovely ripoff card on one of the Hearthstone cards that deals damage to a minion as it cones into play.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Neil Young's Pono has already collected five million with 20 days to go - will it surpass OUYA (8.6 million) as the most expensive proof that crowdfunding sucks?

I watched the Sound City documentary recently and Neil Young just seems like a confused old man these days. I'm sure he's had some great TED Talks or whatever about his revolutionary new sound experience. If it's like every single other TED Talk I've watched he probably made a painfully forced comparison between himself and Apple, which might also explain why people are throwing money at it.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

I have a really hard time believing that Occulus Rift can sell enough units to be profitable at a 2 billion dollar acquisition cost.

It's an extremely niche product

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

vxskud posted:

I have a really hard time believing that Occulus Rift can sell enough units to be profitable at a 2 billion dollar acquisition cost.

It's an extremely niche product

If your imagination doesn't expand past 'video game peripheral', sure.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If your imagination doesn't expand past 'video game peripheral', sure.

My imagination does but my expectations certainly don't

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Identical game mechanics and terminology. It would have been more obvious had the poster overlaid the lovely ripoff card on one of the Hearthstone cards that deals damage to a minion as it cones into play.

Funny you'd say that:

Basing solely on that gif (and the Hearthstone card should really be this: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Keeper_of_the_Grove) I'd not shout plagiarism yet.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't think "wants to play cool video games" is particularly niche. Loads of people like to simulate the experience of being a WWII soldier or whatever. Something that brings them closer to the actual experience (without all the genuinely nasty bits) ought to have fairly widespread appeal I imagine.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't think "wants to play cool video games" is particularly niche. Loads of people like to simulate the experience of being a WWII soldier or whatever. Something that brings them closer to the actual experience (without all the genuinely nasty bits) ought to have fairly widespread appeal I imagine.

I think it's partly the fact that Oculus is a box you strap to your face that makes it niche [at least for the time being].

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

eithedog posted:

Funny you'd say that:

Basing solely on that gif (and the Hearthstone card should really be this: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Keeper_of_the_Grove) I'd not shout plagiarism yet.

So you don't consider it suspicious that this other digital CCG uses the same colours for resource cost, attack value and HP as Hearthstone or that it calls creatures "minions"? Some things are generic and you can copy them; others you cannot.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

I think it's partly the fact that Oculus is a box you strap to your face that makes it niche [at least for the time being].

Transhumanism baby

Bring on the singularity

:worship:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's really hard to copywrite game mechanics, even iconic ones. Hasbro could only get away with "land as a resource" and "turning a card sideways ("tapping") to indicate a card action", if memory serves
:goonsay:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Also if WotC had done an at-all competent job at developing an online version of Magic, I doubt Blizzard would have been as willing to create a card game that is so similar. But because WotC seems incapable or unwilling to develop an online presence that doesn't feel like it was made by a 14 year old in 1997, Blizzard saw a poorly met market and came up with something to fill it.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

So you don't consider it suspicious that this other digital CCG uses the same colours for resource cost, attack value and HP as Hearthstone or that it calls creatures "minions"? Some things are generic and you can copy them; others you cannot.

I'd say that those things are not really important - generally health will be red (duh), mana (= souls) will be blue (thanks Diablo), there will be creatures with attack/defense. You could argue as such that any game where you draw a card during every turn is "drawing similarities". Or that cards should differ in size and placement of attributes.

Reading through the game rules I can't find many similarities to Hearthstone (or MtG for that matter) - casting minions costs you souls, which you get 3 each turn (not that important as well); you've got something called Infernus Lord, but the ruling about it is unclear to me (but if it dies, you loose), you've got resource zones, there's difference between number of total creatures on the battlefield ("2 minions at the resource zone at a given time and 5 minions on the battlefield"), you can move minions around the battlefield (hi Scrolls) and get additional souls for occupying given resource zone. Currently as well the setting is demons / hell / something scary, don't know.

Still, it doesn't sound too exciting and is confusing, at least in the terms of what you do to win. Also, I'd think there's enough of market saturation for people not to play another TCG.

Rosalind posted:

Also if WotC had done an at-all competent job at developing an online version of Magic, I doubt Blizzard would have been as willing to create a card game that is so similar. But because WotC seems incapable or unwilling to develop an online presence that doesn't feel like it was made by a 14 year old in 1997, Blizzard saw a poorly met market and came up with something to fill it.

I'd say that this, pretty much. I hate it that I cannot officially play MtG, and instead have to hack my way with Magic Workstation.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Mar 26, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great Rumbler posted:

Please don't toolshame.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Great Rumbler posted:

If I haven't strapped box to my face by noon I consider the day a bust.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Rosalind posted:

The funny thing is my friend was saying how they were missing the opportunity to open Magic up to players online years before Hearthstone. They had so much time to get their rear end in gear but could only make the semi decent but limited Duels and the too hardcore, ugly and expensive Online.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Carecat posted:

The funny thing is my friend was saying how they were missing the opportunity to open Magic up to players online years before Hearthstone. They had so much time to get their rear end in gear but could only make the semi decent but limited Duels and the too hardcore, ugly and expensive Online.

But are the Duels games that much more limited than Heartstone? The card pool in Hearthstone isn't that large, last I saw, and, y'know, collecting. But the sad part is that Wizards they just made the yearly iterations of DotP cumulative (ie, if you bought 2013 you can use the cards in 2014), they would do much better.

The point is that anyone thinking they can do a real life blind booster game that isn't based off a cartoon or is named Magic the Gathering is acting on several delusions.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The Pebble smart watch wasn't cool. You know what's cool? The same exact thing only 6x the size and straight out of Star Trek/Fallout! Check out this hilarious "wrist communicator"

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rufus-cuff-more-than-a-smartwatch-a-wrist-communicator

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Frozen-Solid posted:

The Pebble smart watch wasn't cool. You know what's cool? The same exact thing only 6x the size and straight out of Star Trek/Fallout! Check out this hilarious "wrist communicator"

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rufus-cuff-more-than-a-smartwatch-a-wrist-communicator

At that point, wouldn't it make more sense to simply make an iPhone case that you can strap to your wrist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Jedit posted:

Magic had cards that deal damage to creatures or players as they come into play literally decades ago. I'm not aware of a single TCG where you don't have creatures with attack and defense values, as well as a cost of some sort. I mean if the second game is a lovely ripoff then hearthstone is without question a lovely ripoff to begin with anyway so who gives a drat? Literally the only thing I will concede was copied is the colors for stuff, namely because the choices are extremely strange. Yellow for attack? Everyone knows yellow is for xp. That's not really a valid plagiarism complaint because your choices in these things are limited to expectations your client base already has. It's a "if a barrel will explode when shot it must be red" kind of deal.