Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Not a bad start, but since you're not running any mountians you can't use Chained to the Rocks.

Also consider Glimpse the Sun God (for alpha strikes) and Gods Willing. 2-3 revoke existence in the board for opposing gods isn't a bad idea either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MMD3 posted:

yeah, it's the xenagod that I have... I dunno that I have enough ramp laying around but I could certainly make an effort.

Are there any really basic sort of rules of thumb to building a playable EDH deck? approximate amount of land vs. creatures or is it just so dependent on the archetype you're playing that you can't make generalizations like that.

I'll probably just pick up what is available at the store to start with to get a decent collection of reprinted cards that make for good starting points.

It depends a lot on what you want to do, but ~40 lands feels about right to start. You can play with very few creatures if you go control, but from the sound of it your card pool leans to big stuff in RG, which means big obnoxious creatures. Basically you can win a lot of ways, but for the more control/combo oriented stuff you'll need to buy more specific cards, whereas ramping into good stuff is a lot more flexible in terms of card pool.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Not a bad start, but since you're not running any mountians you can't use Chained to the Rocks.

Also consider Glimpse the Sun God (for alpha strikes) and Gods Willing. 2-3 revoke existence in the board for opposing gods isn't a bad idea either.

Whoops missed that on Chained to the Rocks. I'll mess around with those other cards in the board. Thanks!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of Purphoros a goon posted a hilarious looking EDH deck with him as a commander, and I'm almost done building it though I'm on my phone so I can't post the list.

That was probably me; a friend wanted help with building an uber-competitive Purphoros deck and I posted the results here.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

Save a blue mana from Manamorphose for Stifle! :v:

But yeah, you beat Faerie Macabre the same way you beat Surgical Extraction: by winning in game 3.

Surgical Extraction can at least be Pact of Negationed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

yeah, it's the xenagod that I have... I dunno that I have enough ramp laying around but I could certainly make an effort.

Are there any really basic sort of rules of thumb to building a playable EDH deck? approximate amount of land vs. creatures or is it just so dependent on the archetype you're playing that you can't make generalizations like that.

I'll probably just pick up what is available at the store to start with to get a decent collection of reprinted cards that make for good starting points.

As someone mentioned, start at 60 spells and 40 lands, and dial it down from there based on mana rocks and fixing. For example my "tryhard" EDH deck (Captain Sisay) has 38 lands, 4 mana rocks, and 6 ways of grabbing lands. Which, looking at it now, is a little on the high side I think.

bhsman posted:

That was probably me; a friend wanted help with building an uber-competitive Purphoros deck and I posted the results here.

Was it this?
Deck: Purphoros EDH

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nah, this was the one I posted.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Has anyone had luck with a deck built around a bit of mana ramp, a pile of enchantment creatures, and especially the following...

Sphere of Safety
Ethereal Armor
Eidolon of Countless Battles

Possible to voltron with some hexproof creatures like Witchstalker, Fleecemane Lion, or Gladecover Scout?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Naya Hexproof is the 8th most popular Standard deck on MTG Goldfish http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9955

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Nissir posted:

Has anyone had luck with a deck built around a bit of mana ramp, a pile of enchantment creatures, and especially the following...

Sphere of Safety
Ethereal Armor

Possible to voltron with some hexproof creatures like Witchstalker, Fleecemane Lion, or Gladecover Scout?

Eidolon of Countless Battles is pretty drat strong :(

I just got hit for 12 by a friend running a precinct captain & some soldier tokens in his blue/white because I forgot to hold enough defenders back because I thought I had plenty of life. Went from a very manageable situation to gawd-dammit, not that drat eidolon again.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Boco_T posted:

Naya Hexproof is the 8th most popular Standard deck on MTG Goldfish http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9955

It is, but it does not use any of the cards he mentioned. It uses much cheaper and powerful enchantments like ethereal armor, madcap skills, and unflinching courage.

A deck like he is looking at is more of a monowhite bestow dudes deck, which is fun but not really good because they just kill all your crap. You could try using the hexproof guys with eidolon etc. but its just a slower worse version of naya hexprof. Eidolon is not as good as the three enchantments I mentioned, and costs to much to be useful in that deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nissir posted:

Sphere of Safety
Ethereal Armor

Sphere of Safety and Ethereal Armor both count enchantment numbers but realistically they don't belong in the same deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Reposting this because I was looking for some input. Fiancee has been playing selesnya tokens and said she wanted to try something different with the same colors. I'd go full naya hexproof but lack the g/r dual lands. I have a sideboard made up too consisting of skylashers, mistcutters, mending touch, etc. Wondering if I'm overdoing the manadorks or if I should keep them and cut down on lands. I do have a full set of Eidolon of countless battles too but wasnt sure if i should cut for them. Input wanted!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Don't have any Voices, and they are really pricey so I doubt I'll get any right now. Trying to work with budget so I can get other stuff. The idea right now:

4x Witchstalker
4x Gladecover Scout
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Elvish mystic
4x Boon Satyr
2x Fiendslayer Paladin

3x Selesnya Charm

4x Ethereal Armor
4x Unflinching Courage

10x Forest
5x Plains
4x Temple Garden
4x Temple of Plenty

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 26, 2014

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Reposting this because I was looking for some input. Fiancee has been playing selesnya tokens and said she wanted to try something different with the same colors. I'd go full naya hexproof but lack the g/r dual lands. I have a sideboard made up too consisting of skylashers, mistcutters, mending touch, etc. Wondering if I'm overdoing the manadorks or if I should keep them and cut down on lands. I do have a full set of Eidolon of countless battles too but wasnt sure if i should cut for them. Input wanted!

You're running 23 lands and 8 mana elves, and the only things in the deck that cost more than 3 mana are bestowing Boon Satyr and the Fleecemane Lion monstrous activation that'll never happen anyway. Cut a basic land, cut the mystics and maybe even cut the caryatids.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

You're running 23 lands and 8 mana elves, and the only things in the deck that cost more than 3 mana are bestowing Boon Satyr and the Fleecemane Lion monstrous activation that'll never happen anyway. Cut a basic land, cut the mystics and maybe even cut the caryatids.

Yeah I honestly can't remember why I put so much mana in there to begin with. I guess without the red naya part in there I wasnt sure what else to add. Could still add eidolons and cut the elves I guess. Maybe do:

-4 elvish mystic
-1 Forest
+4 eidolon of countless battles
+1 selesnya charm

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Good, good, now cut the Caryatids for something else too. Maybe a few Spears? Hero of Iroas?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Death Bot posted:

Good, good, now cut the Caryatids for something else too. Maybe a few Spears? Hero of Iroas?

I have two spears. I hadn't considered hero of iroas but I kinda makes sense. Only problem with him is he's a magnet for removal since he doesnt have hexproof or pro colors. Still might be worth it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

I have two spears. I hadn't considered hero of iroas but I kinda makes sense. Only problem with him is he's a magnet for removal since he doesnt have hexproof or pro colors. Still might be worth it.

If you want to go more aggro, you could put in some Imposing Sovereign. Again, she doesn't have hexproof but at least you won't be wasting any Auras on her and she bolsters your other creatures.

Or you could put in some Blind Obedience, which wouldn't be as aggro but more helpful in the long games.

Also, Soldier of the Pantheon might be a good 1 drop to put in that sort of fits in with the theme of the deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

traslin posted:

If you want to go more aggro, you could put in some Imposing Sovereign. Again, she doesn't have hexproof but at least you won't be wasting any Auras on her and she bolsters your other creatures.

Or you could put in some Blind Obedience, which wouldn't be as aggro but more helpful in the long games.

Also, Soldier of the Pantheon might be a good 1 drop to put in that sort of fits in with the theme of the deck.

I considered sovereign but she'd be a removal magnet. Blind obedience actually works well because it works with ethereal armor and isn't as dead of a card late game as sovereign. Spear works with armor too I guess. Hero is better on curve and helps make the auras easier to use, but obedience and spear might have more overall game presence. Hmm.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
last night I learned that gary merchant works very very well in 2HG.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Nah, this was the one I posted.

I won't lie, I like the Goblin-centric theme here so I'm taking notes.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

I won't lie, I like the Goblin-centric theme here so I'm taking notes.

I went for the Goblin theme because Goblin and monored token generation go hand-in-hand, and for games where we didn't want an uber-competitive lean, Purphoros can be swapped out for Krenko.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So Commander Theory is giving away a Promo Karador for '[t]he most interesting and creative' EDH deck that you can come up with. I just thought I'd link it here if only to see what people come up with. :shobon:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

So Commander Theory is giving away a Promo Karador for '[t]he most interesting and creative' EDH deck that you can come up with. I just thought I'd link it here if only to see what people come up with. :shobon:

In before the all wall Phenax Mill Commander deck is posted.

I've been making Pauper Tribal Commander decks lately (my friends are never happy just playing standard or regular EDH)...I should post those limits just because I can.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

OssiansFolly posted:

In before the all wall Phenax Mill Commander deck is posted.

Well I WAS using Oona...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MMD3 posted:

last night I learned that gary merchant works very very well in 2HG.

I kinda wish Gary was a legendary creature so he could be an EDH commander.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Madmarker posted:

I kinda wish Gary was a legendary creature so he could be an EDH commander.

He'd probably be as legal a commander as Kokusho. :v:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bhsman posted:

He'd probably be as legal a commander as Kokusho. :v:

Is it just me or is Gary better than Koko puffs a lot of the time?

e; obviously, being able to replay him frequently in EDH make skoko better, but I mean in general.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've been playing MonoU Devotion for a while now but I'm thinking of making some changes to the deck to make it slower and more defensive to deal with the Metagame I'm seeing at my LGS for FNM. Basically, I enjoyed playing my post board, more control oriented version of the deck so i wanted to make my maindeck much more like that. I started by removing all the 1 drops, as well as the 4 Tidebinders and going down to 3 Master and 3 Thassa (keeping 4 nightveil) and splashing some W/B for 3 Maindeck Dspheres, a bunch of permission (3 dissolve, 2 negate) 3 Sphinx's Revs and some spot removal and 2 Thoughtsieze. (I would also have access to verdict's out of the sideboard for aggro) The reason I was loving MonoU is that it was terrific against GR Monsters but it's been having trouble against the Jund monters decks that are popular now as well as having some big time trouble against any kind of control variant game 1 before you bring in all your countermagic out of the board. Thoughts?

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
I want to try and make this work:

Deck: Five Alarm Overrun

//Lands
20 Mountain
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Spells
4 Five-Alarm Fire
4 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
4 Molten Birth
1 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Pyromancer's Gauntlet

//Creatures
4 Akroan Horse
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Guttersnipe
4 Young Pyromancer
2 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Goblin Diplomats
1 Chandra's Phoenix

//Side Board

//Sideboard
4 Nivmagus Elemental

Display deck statistics

It looks good on paper but when play testing it could not keep up with removal heavy decks so mono black was a wash. Although maybe I am stretching too far to try and create something similar to the furnace of wrath deck I ran way back in the day.

The B/U FNM special deck I posted did rather well last night. Dropped Cloudfin raptor and Erebos for 2 Thassa's, 2 dimir charms, and an ashiok. This is what I want the final list to look like:

Deck: Dimir aggro evasion

//Lands
12 Swamp
2 Island
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
3 Devour Flesh
2 Far // Away
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Ultimate Price
4 Thoughtseize

//Permanents
4 Aqueous Form
2 Liliana of the Dark Realms
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Desecration Demon
2 Liliana's Reaver
4 Nightveil Specter
4 Pack Rat
2 Thassa, God of the Sea

Display deck statistics

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mindisgone posted:

I want to try and make this work:

Deck: Five Alarm Overrun

What is the point of 1 nykthos? If you want it, run 4. 5 alarm fire, first thing is your have 4 akroan horse and 4 guttersnipe. The horses can't deal combat damage, and the guttersnipes are unlikely to be attacking. That also goes for your satyr firedancers and young pyromancers. You are relying on building counters on 5 alarm fire with YP tokens, molten birth tokens, 1 phoenix, 2 firedrinkers. This is not a great plan. You have a singleton pyromancer's gauntlet and 10 spells to support it. These odds kind of stink. Your deck goes in a bunch of directions at one time. Are you building a 5 alarm fire deck, or a burn deck, or a mono-red aggro deck?

Lets assuming based on the name you want to use 5 alarm fire for your basis.

You need many aggressive creatures to deal damage. Things like firedrinker satyr, foundry street denizen, rakdos cackler, spike jester, rakdos shred freak, legion loyalist, ash zealot, boros reckoner, chandra's phoenix. You should run 4 madcap skills to get the damage through and 4 firefist strikers. keep the lightning strikes, and probably the magma jets. Keep in mind the deck would probably just be better as mono-red aggro and forget about 5 alarm fire completely, but hey if you want to play it, go for it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I've only ever played a successful 5 alarm fire deck once, and it was during last years standard, and it was incredible.

T1 foundry street denizen
T2 krenko's command
T3 5 alarm fire
T4 legion loyalist + goblin hellraiser
T5 krenko, activate krenko, win game

I do like Akron horses in your deck since it guarantees you a 1/1 haste every turn, which is a +1 on five alarm fire every turn. But the deck really needs a pile of haste and/or one drops

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

I considered sovereign but she'd be a removal magnet. Blind obedience actually works well because it works with ethereal armor and isn't as dead of a card late game as sovereign. Spear works with armor too I guess. Hero is better on curve and helps make the auras easier to use, but obedience and spear might have more overall game presence. Hmm.

With this kind of deck everything that you play that isn't hexproof is going to be a removal magnet. I'd say that either the enchantment route you're looking at is good or running a set of Gods Willing and the other one (whose name I always forget) so that you can Alpha Strike and trade super favorably. Maybe a few Heliod because he can't usually be removed either and you'll be able to attack and block and should usually hit devotion?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

jassi007 posted:

What is the point of 1 nykthos? If you want it, run 4. 5 alarm fire, first thing is your have 4 akroan horse and 4 guttersnipe. The horses can't deal combat damage, and the guttersnipes are unlikely to be attacking. That also goes for your satyr firedancers and young pyromancers. You are relying on building counters on 5 alarm fire with YP tokens, molten birth tokens, 1 phoenix, 2 firedrinkers. This is not a great plan

I think his plan is to generate a lot of token creatures with the Young Pyromancer AND Horses and send a stream of them at his opponent to deal combat damage. I have no idea if it will work or not, but it at least seems like a viable plan.

I do agree that he does need to focus his strategy by optimizing his burn spells and figuring out how to maximize his use of 5 alarm fire. I would probably drop the Guttersnipes and Goblin Diplomat for Ash Zealots and more Chandra's Phoenix to get 5 alarm rolling more.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

traslin posted:

I think his plan is to generate a lot of token creatures with the Young Pyromancer AND Horses and send a stream of them at his opponent to deal combat damage. I have no idea if it will work or not, but it at least seems like a viable plan.

I do agree that he does need to focus his strategy by optimizing his burn spells and figuring out how to maximize his use of 5 alarm fire. I would probably drop the Guttersnipes and Goblin Diplomat for Ash Zealots and more Chandra's Phoenix to get 5 alarm rolling more.

I did get the horse backwards, which is my bad. If he's on a token generator plan, then yeah. get a quality suite of burn spells, ditch snipes and diplomats, add more phoenix's, consider firefist striker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

What's the most creative EDH deck/commander choice you all have seen? One of the employees at my LGS has a Norin the Wary deck that looks hilarious every time he plays it, but I don't have a list unfortunately. Same guy was also working on a Karona deck last time I was there, maybe it's done now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

What's the most creative EDH deck/commander choice you all have seen? One of the employees at my LGS has a Norin the Wary deck that looks hilarious every time he plays it, but I don't have a list unfortunately. Same guy was also working on a Karona deck last time I was there, maybe it's done now.

Once I finish a list I'll post it here...approxiamately 30 seconds after I email the guy first. :ninja:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, EDH was created as a format before Planeswalkers became a thing on a card. Has anyone played a PW commander format? Other than a lack of certain color combinations, is there anything that would make it a dumber-than-average format?

Edit: Well, yeah. But it isn't as if there isn't a ban list for EDH general already.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 27, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

So, EDH was created as a format before Planeswalkers became a thing on a card. Has anyone played a PW commander format? Other than a lack of certain color combinations, is there anything that would make it a dumber-than-average format?

JtMS on a stick seems pretty dumb and OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

C-Euro posted:

My first EDH deck was/is Norin, it's pretty awesome.

This "Suicide Machine" list I stumbled on looks really cool and is one of the more unique lists I've seen in a while, I'm going to try it out soon.

• Locked thread