Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

"I've never modelled a blue tit in my life."
:raise:
I am literally an alt account for 343 Industries employee
:siren: -A n i m 8- :siren:

I love them big blue holographic TITTAYS!

:pervert:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And it makes people money or keeps them connected in new ways. Its no surprise that both the PS4 and X1 offer streaming. Its also no surprise that more and more programs are being developed on the PC to help make streaming easier. I'm not understanding the argument here.

You aren't. The argument is that banning someone from twitch streaming on their xbox one due to feedback from the new reputation system is too harsh a punishment for trolling. I disagree as the vast, vast, vast majority of people that own consoles aren't too interested in streaming themselves sitting on a sofa being average at a game everyone else owns. I am not trying to say twitch is terrible or that no one uses it to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They never disabled streaming it, they just stopped indexing Playroom streams in their app.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They never disabled streaming it, they just stopped indexing Playroom streams in their app.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a breakout Truman Show person who we all cuddle up infront of the TV and watch get high and pass out on a tuesday.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure the playroom game is seeing how many viewers you can get while you look through your phone.

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

Barudak posted:

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a breakout Truman Show person who we all cuddle up infront of the TV and watch get high and pass out on a tuesday.

There was the perverted Truman that got his wife so drunk she passed out on the sofa, then he showed her tits to twitch. Thus far he is the closest we have come gotten

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

One of them should jump on that.

Get the rights from whatever surely Japanese production company owns the rights to kidnapping someone and locking them in a room for the audience's amusement and create a PSN/Live exclusive Twitch broadcasted reality show.

Let people send him gifts like the Hunger Games.

I don't mean have the option to send him gifts like in the Hunger Games either. I mean allow you to send him the Hunger Games on DVD. Cross-market the hell out of it.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Aphrodite posted:

Provided they are not using the official headset adapter. For some reason.

I'm using the official headset adapter and have had zero problems with my TB X400s. I'm not saying problems don't exist but I doubt they are widespread as other threads claim they are. It seems to be mostly with the Polk 4 Shots.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Twitch was the one that banned Playroom, I think unless you are specifically using it as a game. Ustream, which the PS4 also natively supports, gives no fucks, which is where people stream the weird Playroom poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I don't mean have the option to send him gifts like in the Hunger Games either. I mean allow you to send him the Hunger Games on DVD. Cross-market the hell out of it.

Soon the whole house is covered in blood and fecal notes; I just want to watch another movie. Twitch complies and sends him a copy of the Collectors Edition.

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

abagofcheetos posted:

Twitch was the one that banned Playroom, I think unless you are specifically using it as a game. Ustream, which the PS4 also natively supports, gives no fucks, which is where people stream the weird Playroom poo poo.

Twitch seem to care more than Usteam, for example they won't allow streaming of games before mandated release. Perhaps it's due to advertising revenue? No idea.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fame Lifeles posted:

Twitch seem to care more than Usteam, for example they won't allow streaming of games before mandated release. Perhaps it's due to advertising revenue? No idea.

I think Twitch wants to be buddy buddy corporate streaming headquarters of all gaming, which means they have to play nice with everyone, so no early streaming. They are naively supported by both Microsoft and Sony, you think they are going to piss them off?

Which is funny, because this is the same problem games journalism has.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fame Lifeles posted:

You aren't. The argument is that banning someone from twitch streaming on their xbox one due to feedback from the new reputation system is too harsh a punishment for trolling. I disagree as the vast, vast, vast majority of people that own consoles aren't too interested in streaming themselves sitting on a sofa being average at a game everyone else owns. I am not trying to say twitch is terrible or that no one uses it to make money.
If the vast majority of people aren't interested in streaming, then why even make it a penalty if it won't curb people's behaviors? Microsoft seems to be banking on people caring if they want people to improve and have access. Isn't that what this whole 'reputation' system is about : improving the quality of xbox players?

Where I come in is that I think it is personally dumb to take away console features because of a silly Xbox nicety rating which has nothing to do with the feature being revoked. I think it sets a dumb precedent.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Harlock posted:

Revoking someone's ability to broadcast because of their Xbox nice score is a really dumb thing.

Counterpoint, it cuts down on the amount of Minnesota Burns wannabes who think their trolleying is adorable, creative or funny.

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

Harlock posted:

If the vast majority of people aren't interested in streaming, then why even make it a penalty if it won't curb people's behaviors? Microsoft seems to be banking on people caring if they want people to improve and have access. Isn't that what this whole 'reputation' system is about : improving the quality of xbox players?

Where I come in is that I think it is personally dumb to take away console features because of a silly Xbox nicety rating which has nothing to do with the feature being revoked. I think it sets a dumb precedent.

I think the main strength of the reputation system is preventative (just like the death penalty :can:) . If you get little kids thinking " if i say the N word here I might get banned!" you're half way to victory. Don't jump to conclusions about the twitch stream banning, I'd imagine that only occurs if you're caught flashing your nuts on camera. The rules haven't really been properly laid out yet and this is the first I've heard about it. It's obviously just a continuation of what we had on the 360, I've got no idea if any people were banned for being ultimate bad asses previously.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
In all fairness I do appreciate an actual attempt at moderating online behaviours and I hope something does work.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I'm still confused as to how this reputation system is going to be functionally different beyond their old attempt on the 360. I expect a few overly dramatic punishments to act like they care about community curation before the system is ignored.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

univbee posted:

- If you can get easy access to physical versions of games but want to buy digital, the install from a physical version can be "converted" to a digital purchase without a full redownload (a holdover from how the original DRM plan was going to work).

How do you do this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FordCQC posted:

How do you do this?

- Install from disc
- Eject disc
- Attempt to launch game without disc (the icon should still be on the home menu). It will say you don't have the rights to run the game and give you the option to buy it digitally on your Live account. Do this.
- The disc can now be returned whence it came. You technically don't need it again unless you delete the game and want to reinstall without fully re-downloading.

This obviously won't sidestep things like the large Dead Rising 3 patches but will still put a much lower strain on your download limits.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm still confused as to how this reputation system is going to be functionally different beyond their old attempt on the 360. I expect a few overly dramatic punishments to act like they care about community curation before the system is ignored.

We'll have to wait and see how different it is in terms of negative behavior, but one new thing they've thrown out is rewards for good behavior

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 26, 2014

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Maneki Neko posted:

We'll have to wait and see how different it is in terms of negative behavior, but one new thing they've thrown out is rewards for good behavior

"Achievement Unlocked: Not an rear end in a top hat"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Having a weird problem with my Kinect. It's supposed to support in-game voice chat via the option in the Settings menu, correct? I thought it worked like the 360, but maybe not?

Playing Titanfall it won't pick up any talking. The Xbox itself picks up the verbal system commands fine from the Kinect, but none of the in-game chat is recognized. The headset also works fine when plugged in. What am I missing? Am I mistaken about what's supported or am I doing something wrong? Is it a Titanfall thing?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Is the option for using Kinect for chat enabled in the Xbox menu?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Tried it both on and off, same thing. May have to get in touch with Microsoft about it.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Almost Smart posted:

"Achievement Unlocked: Not an rear end in a top hat"

"This achievement has been unlocked by 0.000003% of users!"

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Teek posted:

Playing Titanfall it won't pick up any talking. The Xbox itself picks up the verbal system commands fine from the Kinect, but none of the in-game chat is recognized. The headset also works fine when plugged in. What am I missing? Am I mistaken about what's supported or am I doing something wrong? Is it a Titanfall thing?

It's up to the game developer if they want to allow voice chat by Kinect or not. Titanfall and CoD:Ghosts are headset only. Your Kinect isn't broken.

Not sure how I feel about that either, on the plus side there isn't some guy with a crying baby trying to finish his round of PvZ before tending to it. On the minus side sometimes I just don't want to wear a headset and mic (especially when friends are around).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

VincesUndies posted:

Also people's voices in Party Chat sound incredibly clear.

So does everything else in their living room, like the game's audio and their mother yelling at them for not washing the dishes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

So does everything else in their living room, like the game's audio and their mother yelling at them for not washing the dishes.

Its not online gaming if I don't hear at least one 13 year old child telling his mom to shut up.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

abagofcheetos posted:

I think Twitch wants to be buddy buddy corporate streaming headquarters of all gaming, which means they have to play nice with everyone, so no early streaming. They are naively supported by both Microsoft and Sony, you think they are going to piss them off?

Which is funny, because this is the same problem games journalism has.

Twitch is working to be the "official" gaming stream service. Don't they do the big Dota/Lol tournaments and a number of other gaming things? I don't think they do streams that aren't gaming related anymore so they definitely want to buddy up to game companies to get exclusive deals and stuff.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Cowman posted:

Twitch is working to be the "official" gaming stream service. Don't they do the big Dota/Lol tournaments and a number of other gaming things? I don't think they do streams that aren't gaming related anymore so they definitely want to buddy up to game companies to get exclusive deals and stuff.

They are the OFFICIAL STREAMING PARTNER of E3 this year, also.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It would be great if the snapped applications (party, Game DVR) accepted voice controls only, so that I could continue to actually play Battlefield while I request Xbox - snap Game DVR and wait for the murderous loading time for the app to begin.

Xbox Record That is great, but I feel like I would have better editing powers if I could snap the Game DVR with voice control (you can get this far) and then use the voice commands to tell it to save the last 5 minutes while the controller still works with the game.

For example last night I said Xbox Record That about 4 times in the space of 3 minutes. it would have been way more efficient if I could snap the game DVR and control it by voice to grab the whole 5 minutes as one clip - the game was too heated at that point to sit there and gently caress around for the minute or so it takes to snap the app and tell it to start saving the video.

on top of that, it means you can make the most of the somewhat limited Upload Studio (which has its own issues, specifically that you can only do a multi-clip video of 5 clips, no more, no less. Hopefully that changes in the future.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cowman posted:

Twitch is working to be the "official" gaming stream service. Don't they do the big Dota/Lol tournaments and a number of other gaming things?

Yup. The International 3 was all Twitch as are most Dota 2 Tourneys. There's a few that run specifically through twitch streams on their own websites, and you can always buy a ticket to watch the matches with the In Game spectator thing but If you want to watch for free/cheap it's all run through Twitch.

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

They are the OFFICIAL STREAMING PARTNER of E3 this year, also.

Are they also planning on keeping their ludicrous 30-second delay for E3? I get the reasoning for why they changed everything, but it still pisses me off that they did this to most of their streamers.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

wottermelon posted:

Are they also planning on keeping their ludicrous 30-second delay for E3? I get the reasoning for why they changed everything, but it still pisses me off that they did this to most of their streamers.

I don't have high hopes.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Laserface posted:

on top of that, it means you can make the most of the somewhat limited Upload Studio (which has its own issues, specifically that you can only do a multi-clip video of 5 clips, no more, no less. Hopefully that changes in the future.)

I don't know if this is just because I'm in the beta preview or not, but this has already been corrected on my end. Still a limit of 5 at a time, but I made a multi clip of 4 and it just worked instead of yelling at me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

losonti tokash posted:

I don't know if this is just because I'm in the beta preview or not, but this has already been corrected on my end. Still a limit of 5 at a time, but I made a multi clip of 4 and it just worked instead of yelling at me.

maybe its always been that way? Im also in the preview so I cant confirm.

I dont see a limitation to adding more than 5 clips though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

hanyolo posted:

It's up to the game developer if they want to allow voice chat by Kinect or not. Titanfall and CoD:Ghosts are headset only. Your Kinect isn't broken.

Not sure how I feel about that either, on the plus side there isn't some guy with a crying baby trying to finish his round of PvZ before tending to it. On the minus side sometimes I just don't want to wear a headset and mic (especially when friends are around).

Thanks for the clarification on that. I believe I heard something like that before, but thought it was limited to the Titanfall beta only.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hanyolo posted:

Wait, really?

Microsoft's official solution for adapter incompatible headsets is to use the Kinect microphone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wottermelon posted:

I don't believe this is something Twitch is doing intentionally as the exact delay varies, and I don't think anyone is immune to it (it was a big problem with AGDQ when they had participation with devs over the phone who were behind on where the stream was, although it did lead to funny moments like the super-delayed reaction of the dev of The Mask when the runner exploited a level skip bug). I believe it got worse after the PS4 came out and people started streaming directly from it, too, and someone found some weird settings on PC in Flash Player's Control Panel that apparently can considerably reduce the delay. Apparently they peer-to-peer a lot of the data and if you disable select features it forces your client to go straight to the source, reducing the delay from 30-40 seconds down to something more like 10-15.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

univbee posted:

I don't believe this is something Twitch is doing intentionally as the exact delay varies, and I don't think anyone is immune to it (it was a big problem with AGDQ when they had participation with devs over the phone who were behind on where the stream was, although it did lead to funny moments like the super-delayed reaction of the dev of The Mask when the runner exploited a level skip bug). I believe it got worse after the PS4 came out and people started streaming directly from it, too, and someone found some weird settings on PC in Flash Player's Control Panel that apparently can considerably reduce the delay. Apparently they peer-to-peer a lot of the data and if you disable select features it forces your client to go straight to the source, reducing the delay from 30-40 seconds down to something more like 10-15.
It's more an issue with twitch's player and how they're handling caching than the backend. Low-latency is out of the park at this point but if they gave controls to viewers to let them minimise latency it'd help out a lot. They want "consistent viewing experience" which means if you switch qualities it keeps playing your pre-buffered low-quality footage until it hits the higher-quality blob of data. If you're massively behind it'll resync but that bar is set pretty high. The twitch devs are really dumb about working on the production environment, I don't want to even know about the mess of their infrastructure. Someone needs to modify their video player so it's not absolutely terrible in any case and I'm surprised no one's did it yet.

The switch to HLS brought some really bad changes in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is there any way to figure out how much of a game you need to have installed/downloaded in order to play it? Like multiplayer, SP, etc? It seems like it's massssively variant based on the game, and I could not find any reports anywhere of when you can play or not. I got drunk and bought BF4 with a friend a couple days ago (poo poo at least I didn't buy Thie4f5 like that other guy) and we ended up playing BF3 for like 3 hours because it took so loving long to download even on a 20 Mb/s connection. I mean I totally expected this, but it was annoying to have to check every 30 minutes to see if maybe campaign or maybe some MP maps had "unlocked".

For me, BF4 campaign unlocked at around 25%, compared to Dead Rising which unlocked at like 80% (except for the first literally like 15 minutes of gameplay, up until the plane crash, which unlocked at more like 40%). Now that the game is 90% downloaded, I wonder if I'm going to have to download another 10 GB patch as soon as the regular download is done.

• Locked thread