Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

occipitallobe posted:

Is the new ironman hilariously slow for anyone else? The autosaving is taking well over twice as long to the point where the initial autosaves are as bad as the "I've played 400 years of history" autosaves. I seriously can't see myself using this mode anymore.

It's nigh unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It's not supposed to be that way? Or wasn't before?

I have only tried ironman mode after the last patch. I was not impressed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I don't really get why there are mandatory monthly autosaves in Ironman to begin with. I could understand yearly or bi-yearly autosaves, but there's no reason why this ironman mode should have to save THAT often.

PDS, please give us a way to change the frequency of autosaves in ironman.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Takes like 1.5 to 2 seconds for me on ironman, not a problem.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wooper posted:

It's not supposed to be that way? Or wasn't before?

I have only tried ironman mode after the last patch. I was not impressed.

I've been playing Ironman exclusively since it existed and while slightly annoying with a second or 2 pause every month, it's now something like 10 seconds and it's so frustrating in down time or when you are trying to move armies around rough terrain.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Drone posted:

I don't really get why there are mandatory monthly autosaves in Ironman to begin with. I could understand yearly or bi-yearly autosaves, but there's no reason why this ironman mode should have to save THAT often.

PDS, please give us a way to change the frequency of autosaves in ironman.

It's frustrating. It's not as if savescumming is a particularly huge issue - there are gamey ways to get most of the achievements and secure yourself a giant gently caress-off empire anyway, I just like ironman because it removes the temptation of cheating (which is often high when you're about to lose your throne) and makes the game more enjoyable overall. If there was a way to turn off cheats without ironman, I'd be all up in that.

e: I'm getting 6-second saves now at the beginning of the game, up from between one and two. It's silly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'd love for yearly autosaves, just make the game autosave when you resign. Problem solved. How many people are gonna take the 2 or 3 mins it takes for CK2 to load these days to save scum if they quit through the desktop.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

occipitallobe posted:

Is the new ironman hilariously slow for anyone else? The autosaving is taking well over twice as long to the point where the initial autosaves are as bad as the "I've played 400 years of history" autosaves. I seriously can't see myself using this mode anymore.

So it's slower than before the RoI patch? Does using compressed vs uncompressed saves matter?

Megadyptes posted:

yo Darkrenown I got a small request

make this happen or make someone who's in charge of poo poo make this happen. it would be awesome.

Yup, on my wishlist too.

Someone mentioned the Grey wall tactic/special units, it is indeed bugged and being selected when it shouldn't be, but it is the tactic that is buggy, not the special units.

As for Ironman saves, I will pass it on.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Continuing my 2.04 game and Gascony become my vassal and I have no idea how.

I thought one of my vassal Kings must have put a relative on the throne, but he's my direct vassal. I was Holy Warring in Tunisia when I noticed and have no idea how it happened. He's not of my dynasty, nor does he have other holdings within the empire. His mother was one of my kinswomen, as is his current wife, but he's of a different dynasty. Weird.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 27, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zhaan posted:

Is banishing supposed to give me a karma hit? I was doing it do avoid the 20 karma cost associated with execution since I'm trying to save up for holy wars, but my karma keeps dropping whenever I banish a peasant leader.

Edit: Also, is there a quick route to more Karma in general? Because I have two kingdoms and an empire I can form and I'm only getting 1.75 a month, so that's going to take a while to rack up 800.

Yearly Diwali, churches in your temples, majesty tech.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What is the marriage objection "political concerns" about?

I'm Emperor of Hispania, my cousin is King of Lothringia and Burgundy. He has one son, my heir is my genius half sister. Why wouldn't he want his son to marry her?

After I noticed this I just broke an engagement with a guy who was born in the purple and I think has a good chance of gaining the Byz throne a few years down due to the fact that the current Emperor has only daughters. :smith:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 27, 2014

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I don't know if this is something which comes from playing as a Merchant Republic (which I'd not done before), but I didn't seem able to marry anyone off matrilineally. I also couldn't work out how to get my trade post number up - I built a Grand Mansion which I think allows you to have 3 more but the limit stayed at one. I ended up resorting to stealing trade posts from the Greeks, which sort of worked.

I also had the thing where a child couldn't arrange marriages: it was fine for arranging betrothals for himself/brothers but as soon as adults were involved the whole thing went to pot.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So with all this talk of gaming, I have never seen a point where the game gamed the player, well behold.

I originally took over Alcodia with no trouble and everything was fine till the AI started the adventure event. I have never had many of these and most of the time they never do much cause they take too long or the army ends up being small. This one gave me just under two years to find a way to kill him. his start of origin was where that single long boat is parked, rather than wasting money I don't have I will just holy war him out.

Was all fine and had the holding at 99%, than the event triggered. 15k load of man at full moral appeared on top of my besieging army and massacred them off the map :downs:

One crushing defeat later I get another adventure warning, this time for Abyssinia's old land, from some count in fatimid, which managed to hold onto its power despite the Christians winning the first crusade, though a count in Ireland was named the winner.

My king died, which ended up making that doom stack in waiting void.

The Alodia doomstack decided it did not want to wait for the truce count down to finish once it gobbled up some more land and decided it was fine being a truce breaker.

Though not that AI cared, He was already a different religion to everyone there, and with the largest army, who would object?

and thus the Jewish Abyssinia fell, Gamed by the game.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

What is the marriage objection "political concerns" about?

I'm Emperor of Hispania, my cousin is King of Lothringia and Burgundy. He has one son, my heir is my genius half sister. Why wouldn't he want his son to marry her?

After I noticed this I just broke an engagement with a guy who was born in the purple and I think has a good chance of gaining the Byz throne a few years down due to the fact that the current Emperor has only daughters. :smith:

And a few days later the Byz Emperor dies, a daughter inherits and a huge rebellion in favor of that guy is launched. Of course he won't marry me now.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Darkrenown posted:

So it's slower than before the RoI patch? Does using compressed vs uncompressed saves matter?

It is much slower and I did not see any difference between compressed vs. uncompressed. It was manageable before the expansion, I did a full 867 start game in ironman before but now I can't see myself playing the game at all due to the time it takes to save constantly.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Koramei posted:

It will take hours though, just a warning. I'm probably an outlier but it was like 10 hours before I even understood what all the buttons did.

I remember jumping straight into the game in 1066 byzantine. No tutorial no nothing. What a horrible horrible unstable mess that turned out to be.

Has anyone tried the Jewish semien start yet in Abyssinia and tried to remain Jewish? I haven't tried it myself but looks pretty interesting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Can anyone point me to a guide on playing pagans in TOG?

I started a pagan game in and I am supposed to be able to do all those cool stuff like raiding and riding rivers but I cant figure out how.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Randallteal posted:

Man, the new Jewish start in Ethiopia sucks so much. I spent ten years saving up gold and fabricating claims on a neighbor, then hired a mercenary band and smushed him, and as soon as I was done three different large Miaphysite countries declared holy wars on me for my new duchy.

Now I'm thinking I'll restart, and instead of fabricating claims, I'll save up for both mercenary companies, declare a holy war for some Miaphysite duchy, and run my mercenaries in opposite directions to catch countries as they come in on me and destroy their armies before they can join together. Then I'll disband one merc company and use the other and my levies to win holy wars while everyone's manpower is exhausted.

The tough thing is there isn't anything stopping the big duchies from holy war-ing you while you wait for gold. You only start with two counties and ~550 in levies (and no marriage options.)

Game the system - mercenaries don't count as raised troops so start moving them so they land in your enemies' territory the day after you declare war on them, thus instarouting at least one army!

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

I remember jumping straight into the game in 1066 byzantine. No tutorial no nothing. What a horrible horrible unstable mess that turned out to be.

Has anyone tried the Jewish semien start yet in Abyssinia and tried to remain Jewish? I haven't tried it myself but looks pretty interesting.

I just did, and is very easy to stay jewish as herrasy runs rampit very quickly and very early. My only downfall was from adventures

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I played the demo when I first heard about this game here and had no idea what the hell. A few months later I came back and sunk some hours into and now I've played over 500, so...be persistent, it's a great game.

Yeah, I hate the game furiously because of all the random bullshit that can (and will) spoil most of your (time-consuming) runs, but even so it's astonishingly hard to not want to keep playing it.

On another note, is there any way to imprison/execute/banish/revoke troublesome vassals without incurring tyranny malusses (aside from rightful actions or excommunications)?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zhaan posted:

My Karma cares. They still cost if they're insigificant and I'm not wiping out 560 Karma to clear out my dungeons. That's a subjugation and some change.

Just banish them all?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

When you're a bigger realm with lots of vassals, you probably have a lot of options for expansion and can start using your chancellor to fabricate claims on your vassal's territory. The other vassals don't mind you revoking territory that you have a claim on, and if the troublesome vassal rebels, then you do have a cause to imprison, revoke, execute, etc. After that, I like to transfer the depowered vassal under a different duke so that I don't have to deal with him anymore.

Alternatively, I dealt with an ambitious title claimant two-duchy duchess by marrying her. That +30 will go a long way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So how are the Jains playing out? Any trip reports? From the description, I got the sense that they'd be really boring to play. I mean what with the supposed very stable realm, and the tendency towards peacefulness rather than aggressive war expansion. What would you do, then?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Pester posted:

When you're a bigger realm with lots of vassals, you probably have a lot of options for expansion and can start using your chancellor to fabricate claims on your vassal's territory. The other vassals don't mind you revoking territory that you have a claim on, and if the troublesome vassal rebels, then you do have a cause to imprison, revoke, execute, etc. After that, I like to transfer the depowered vassal under a different duke so that I don't have to deal with him anymore.

Alternatively, I dealt with an ambitious title claimant two-duchy duchess by marrying her. That +30 will go a long way.

I tend to have terrible luck with the MTTH on fabricating claims, even with a mid-20s diplo stat chancellor. It usually takes years. Well, that, or it happens the day after I plop him down, making me having to wait out the months before I can rebase him which means that I usually forget about him. Would be nice if he'd get freed up immediately or if you could get a notification when he could be moved, sort of like how EU4 has those icons at the top of the screen.

And wasn't the marriage opinion bonus removed with the latest patch?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm curious about if you can get the "Tell me more about this realm of Hindustan" event if you actually manage to acquire lands in India.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Apparently you can! I think the Norse guy in India got it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DrSunshine posted:

So how are the Jains playing out? Any trip reports? From the description, I got the sense that they'd be really boring to play. I mean what with the supposed very stable realm, and the tendency towards peacefulness rather than aggressive war expansion. What would you do, then?

Nonstop intrigue and stabbing 24/7, I'd suppose. Though there's nothing stopping you from doing that as literally any other religion in the world without having your ability to declare war penalized.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Drone posted:

Nonstop intrigue and stabbing 24/7, I'd suppose. Though there's nothing stopping you from doing that as literally any other religion in the world without having your ability to declare war penalized.

You actually have more war-making ability as Jain than many catholic rulers, since you lack holy wars but do have subjugation for a lot of India, which is a great CB when applicable.

Speaking of which, is it supposed to be once per lifetime or some cooldown? I didn't see that documented, but there does seem to be a none culture group limit on use...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OddObserver posted:

You actually have more war-making ability as Jain than many catholic rulers, since you lack holy wars but do have subjugation for a lot of India, which is a great CB when applicable.

Speaking of which, is it supposed to be once per lifetime or some cooldown? I didn't see that documented, but there does seem to be a none culture group limit on use...

Subjugation is not bad, but you have neither crusades, nor pope sanctioned invasions nor the ability to just petition the pope for claims.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Paradox always nails me for $2 whenever they come out with the cosmetic packs. Turkish Portraits? Awesome! Finno-Urgic units? gently caress yeah, gotta have those! Saxon Unit Pack? Invading England just isn't the same without them!

I don't think I've ever noticed the difference when I'm actually playing the game...

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Really, the only cosmetic DLC i'd say is worth it are the face and music packs. Most of the time you're too zoomed out to even notice the units and I doubt there are that many people around nerdy enough that they need the dynasty shield ones for their immersion.

But I still buy them all BECAUSE I AM A WHORE! YES, THAT INCLUDES THE HAIRCUT DLC.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Zoinker posted:

But I still buy them all BECAUSE I AM A WHORE! YES, THAT INCLUDES THE HAIRCUT DLC.

If your going to watch world burn, you may aswell make sure you look as fabulous as possible

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
We should start a support group for chumps, because Paradox always nails me for at least $10 whenever they drop a bunch of songs and cosmetic addons.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

As for Ironman saves, I will pass it on.

Thanks for this. I've been playing my first game as a Muslim due to the decadence changes and trying to restore the caliphate. It's tons of fun and I like trying to expand in a strong empire where you can't go to war with people in the empire. I've also spent a fair chunk of time looking up wikipedia articles and just reading about medieval Muslim history. But the autosaves are killing things. I even tried moving my save folder to my SSD and the save times are still destroying things. It's not so bad when I slow things down for battles but when I'm running at max speed I spend more time looking at the save hourglass than I do advancing time.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Zoinker posted:

Really, the only cosmetic DLC i'd say is worth it are the face and music packs. Most of the time you're too zoomed out to even notice the units and I doubt there are that many people around nerdy enough that they need the dynasty shield ones for their immersion.

I always just have my own playlist going on whenever I play a grand strategy game- or RTS or nearly anything for that matter- and so am barely aware of CK2's soundtrack. Is the music really that good?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I always just have my own playlist going on whenever I play a grand strategy game- or RTS or nearly anything for that matter- and so am barely aware of CK2's soundtrack. Is the music really that good?

Yeah, Andreas Waldetoft is a really talented dude. Both this and EUIV have great soundtracks. I only wish that songs from the songs pack showed up more, I have only played about an hour, maybe two, of ROI and I don't think of heard one of the Songs of India tracks yet.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I too am a CK2 DLC whale :smith:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, Andreas Waldetoft is a really talented dude. Both this and EUIV have great soundtracks. I only wish that songs from the songs pack showed up more, I have only played about an hour, maybe two, of ROI and I don't think of heard one of the Songs of India tracks yet.

I just modded the song files so that they all can play at equal chance for everyone.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Kainser posted:

I too am a CK2 DLC whale :smith:

I just modded the song files so that they all can play at equal chance for everyone.

How exactly did you do this?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

There's a console command to switch tracks. Doesn't help if you're playing Ironman, but it's nice if you want to change things up in a normal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Well I just had a chat with Groogy and Alex about save speeds and Ironman:

Their testing only showed saves times going from 1-2 seconds pre-RoI to 2-3 seconds after RoI, so while it is higher than before they were surprised people noticed it enough to complain. Does using local saves rather than cloud saves help?

They will consider having 3/6 month auto saves for Ironman.

In general they want to work on speeding up the saving process by doing fancy code things and/or changing the way data is saved, which would especially help Ironman.

• Locked thread