Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Nihiliste posted:

I've never been a fan of the Smart Cover, myself. This is what I recommend as far as cases go:

http://www.thesnugg.com/ipad-cases/ipad-air-cases/snugg-ipad-air-case-cover-and-flip-stand-in-black-leather.aspx

I'm also going to not recommend getting that. I found it had a nasty, chemically/plasticy smell, the cover didn't 'fit' right and frame the iPad properly, and when folded over, it didn't fold flat and evenly. It also lacked any means of keeping the cover in place when folded over totally, so if you wanted to do that and use the handstrap, it would sort of hang awkwardly if you didn't hold the cover in place at the same time.

It's also got it's name/logo in a little panel on the bottom of the inside side of the cover and that's just tacky as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
Going to buy that right now. I just threw away my smart cover. I never had the old version so I can't compare but I absolutely hate the one for the air.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've gotten used to the Smart Cover. I prefer the design of old one, but it works fine mostly and the new hinge is much better and doesn't leave gritty crap all over the back.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

rio posted:

Looks cool, but I don't want anything that covers the back. As light as possible, protects the screen from dust/cleans it with the underneath, basic functionality (folds into stand or folds into something to handhold in portrait orientation), being easily removable and magnets in the right places are all that I would like. I like to use my ipad without the cover a lot too so a full case is not something I would get into.

Sounds kind of like....a Smart Cover! Except that mine is lacking the "cover" part by not laying flat. I don't know if it was actually something that I did to it since I have been folding the cover when hand holding the ipad, but if I did cause it after under 24 hours of even owning the thing then there is a serious problem with durability.

The Snugg cases are quite light, actually. But if you want to go without a cover sometimes, I suppose you don't have much choice.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm also going to not recommend getting that. I found it had a nasty, chemically/plasticy smell, the cover didn't 'fit' right and frame the iPad properly, and when folded over, it didn't fold flat and evenly. It also lacked any means of keeping the cover in place when folded over totally, so if you wanted to do that and use the handstrap, it would sort of hang awkwardly if you didn't hold the cover in place at the same time.

It's also got it's name/logo in a little panel on the bottom of the inside side of the cover and that's just tacky as gently caress.

That smell goes away within a week or two - it's just a byproduct of manufacturing. As for the handstrap issue, I should say that I always slip my right hand in, being left-handed, so the lid stays shut as a matter of course. I hadn't even thought about that.

The logo isn't a big deal to me, since it sits on the inside of the case. I'm just annoyed by casemakers that think I want to be a walking ad for them.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

rio posted:

Looks cool, but I don't want anything that covers the back. As light as possible, protects the screen from dust/cleans it with the underneath, basic functionality (folds into stand or folds into something to handhold in portrait orientation), being easily removable and magnets in the right places are all that I would like. I like to use my ipad without the cover a lot too so a full case is not something I would get into.

Sounds kind of like....a Smart Cover! Except that mine is lacking the "cover" part by not laying flat. I don't know if it was actually something that I did to it since I have been folding the cover when hand holding the ipad, but if I did cause it after under 24 hours of even owning the thing then there is a serious problem with durability.

When my Smart Cover was new it also didn't lie perfectly flat. I found that after using it for a while it started to lie much flatter against the device.

I do prefer the old 4 panel design but I recognize they had to make a trade off when narrowing the front face of the iPad, and in the end the new cover still serves it's purpose for me.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I don't mind the three panels, but I can't stand how easily it detaches.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Smart Cover was the first thing I ever returned to an Apple Store because it was so bad. I usually suck it up when I regret a purchase, like iPod Socks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How could you possibly regret iPod Socks, you monster?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
I ended up skipping the Smart Cover for my iPad Air as well. Flimsier and not as useful compared to the old ones. I really like keeping the air naked because it's so light and I don't want to make it heavier. I ended up with this: http://www.amazon.com/Herschel-Supply-Cypress-Sleeve-Black/dp/B008VWVPV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395282271&sr=8-1&keywords=Herschel+ipad
It's well made, light, and has a really soft lining. It also has a hard plastic piece sandwiched on one side that protects the screen from impacts. You could drop it on a corner and it would be protected. Takes a few weeks for the manufacturing smells to go away but is otherwise excellent.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
CraigList came through with a brand-new-in-box 64GB wifi SPACE GREY iPad Air for $500! I've been waiting since Christmas to pick one up at a great price and boy was the wait worth it! This is the most beautifully crafted piece of technololy I have ever held in my hands and I type this on a Macbook Air, so I've seen and am used to using artisan crafted technology.
I have a nexus 7 2012 and that device just has not been adequate. My new iPad feels like it weighs as much as this 7 inch device! That's craftsmanship!

This iPad has the greatest screen I have ever used and I have top-end Dell IPS at home. This thing is near perfect as far as I'm concerned <3

I'm so grateful to finally have a device to replace my MBA of most time consuming tasks like browsing, email, content consumption, etc.

Now that I have this in font of me, I don't know where to start, what apps to install? Guess I'll head on over to the app thread now.

Fellow iPad Evangelist, I finally understand the hoopla. I think I have jumped in at the right time, too. The product has matured greatly since first being introduced a few years ago.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
:lol: artisan crafted technology

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Alpha Lyrae posted:

CraigList came through with a brand-new-in-box 64GB wifi SPACE GREY iPad Air for $500! I've been waiting since Christmas to pick one up at a great price and boy was the wait worth it! This is the most beautifully crafted piece of technololy I have ever held in my hands and I type this on a Macbook Air, so I've seen and am used to using artisan crafted technology.
I have a nexus 7 2012 and that device just has not been adequate. My new iPad feels like it weighs as much as this 7 inch device! That's craftsmanship!

This iPad has the greatest screen I have ever used and I have top-end Dell IPS at home. This thing is near perfect as far as I'm concerned <3

I'm so grateful to finally have a device to replace my MBA of most time consuming tasks like browsing, email, content consumption, etc.

Now that I have this in font of me, I don't know where to start, what apps to install? Guess I'll head on over to the app thread now.

Fellow iPad Evangelist, I finally understand the hoopla. I think I have jumped in at the right time, too. The product has matured greatly since first being introduced a few years ago.

What kind of a person are you holy gently caress lmao

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I Am Crake posted:

He's a TCC regular opiate addict.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just a heads up, Wave Wave is a ridiculous game that looks gorgeous on the ipad air.

it will also melt your brain.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
TO STAY ON TOPIC:

I hate that my default search engines on the iPad are all NSA cooperators. Is there anyway to add DuckDuckgo.com as my default search engine or an option to choose?

I Am Crake posted:

A kind, loving one. Nice to meet you. I know there is a tone of ridicule in that, but that only reflects your own inward ugliness. Have a beautiful day and try to do something kind for a random stranger today. You just might feel good about it.

Bung Harmer posted:

He's a TCC regular opiate addict.

I haven't even made 10 post there and my last post there was many many months ago and a lot has happened since - including sobriety, so to call me a 'regular' is intellectually dishonest. If you are poisoning the well by pointing out that I'm a (recovering) opioid addict, there is something disturbing in that as well. Bypass the merit of my post and go straight for the personal detail that is of little relevance here and now.
I recognize the hard work on R&D and good design that goes into creating such a quality device. I have held and operated various android tablets of the same size and they do not compare in their design, attention to detail, build quality, user experience, etc etc. I notice these things and I geek out over them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alpha Lyrae posted:

TO STAY ON TOPIC:

I hate that my default search engines on the iPad are all NSA cooperators. Is there anyway to add DuckDuckgo.com as my default search engine or an option to choose?
Only if you jailbreak. Which I don't think you can do with an iPad Air.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Only if you jailbreak. Which I don't think you can do with an iPad Air.

Looks like you can unless you went up to 7.1, in which case you're out of luck.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like you can unless you went up to 7.1, in which case you're out of luck.
hav
I havent done anything to the iPad as far as updating it, since I took it out of the box and have been browsing the web. Is there a website or a couple of sites that go indepth on iPad information including how to jailbreak and what not to do or install etc. Thanks s :D

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Or you could try an alternate browser like iCab, although you lose a bit of performance (due to some technical/security reasons).

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
I would like to jailbreak so I am going to visit the ios thread and see if there is any info there on how to do it. As for iCab, I'll check reviews. Thanks. Any other ideas?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, go to the Jailbreaking thread, not the iOS thread.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

japtor posted:

Or you could try an alternate browser like iCab, although you lose a bit of performance (due to some technical/security reasons).

If you do jailbreak, there's an app in Cydia that enables the Nitro JS interpreter in native apps.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cross-posting from the apps thread since this is actually news for some people:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So, uh, Office for iPad is out:

Word
Excel
PowerPoint

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Cross-posting from the apps thread since this is actually news for some people:

So basically Microsoft is saying, "We're going to think you'll spend $100 a year for our suite on the iPad you just bought which comes with iWork for free (which reads all Office documents just fine)."

Not sure how they are thinking this will work. Put a lot of effort into something that is only going to be used by people who religiously use office and pay the $100 already.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's for people who have a work PC and already subscribe to Office 365.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's for people who have a work PC and already subscribe to Office 365.

They've been working on it for at least 8 months. I guess it was a rock and a hard place for Microsoft. Even though all office docs work pretty flawlessly with the Apple versions, Microsoft still has to put it out there to satisfy those that say, "I want this on my iPad." They could have gone the Apple route and said, "You want office on your device? Buy a surface :laugh:"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

They could have gone the Apple route and said, "You want office on your device? Buy a surface :laugh:"

Isn't that what they've been doing for the past 18 months? :confused:

Guess it wasn't working.

The primary outcome of Microsoft's non-Windows holdout of Office has been to train many people how little they actually need Office.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

100 dollars a year? I mean, honestly, gently caress that. Sorry, just no. Specially after Pages and Numbers came out and they're "ok" for regular office work. Not great but workable.

I'm sure there's a bunch of people who need the advanced Excel stuff and will pay for this though, but as a means of capturing new customers for the Office market, I just don't know... It can't hurt, right? Since the Surface failed, this is their next strategy.

Lexicon posted:

The primary outcome of Microsoft's non-Windows holdout of Office has been to train many people how little they actually need Office.

Yeah, this pretty much. My job is doing most of the day to day poo poo with Numbers and exporting PDFs for customers. The accountant will probably die clutching Excel in his cold hands though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Yeah, this pretty much. My job is doing most of the day to day poo poo with Numbers and exporting PDFs for customers. The accountant will probably die clutching Excel in his cold hands though.

Yeah. Excel is genuinely peerless, but most people other than accountants and such don't actually need it. Soulver and Numbers easily cover 90% of most people's use cases.

Word is increasingly a relic of a bygone era - when laying things out for paper consumption really mattered (I mean, it still happens... but this is not a growth market, to be charitable).

PowerPoint can die in a fire.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

:ssh: If you have a .edu email address it's $100 for 5 4 years.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 27, 2014

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

:ssh: If you have a .edu email address it's $100 for 5 4 years.

Exactly, I don't have an edu address though. So I had to purchase an office 365 subscription off of ebay for $40/year. I figure it will cost me roughly $200 for 5 years plus you get upgraded to the newest version of Office when it comes out. Not bad considering it's licenses allow up to 5 devices. I've got it on 2 PCs and a Surface Pro 2. Adding it to the Ipad tonight. Still cheaper than buying Office 2013 for each PC.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

ShadowStalker posted:

Exactly, I don't have an edu address though. So I had to purchase an office 365 subscription off of ebay for $40/year. I figure it will cost me roughly $200 for 5 years plus you get upgraded to the newest version of Office when it comes out. Not bad considering it's licenses allow up to 5 devices. I've got it on 2 PCs and a Surface Pro 2. Adding it to the Ipad tonight. Still cheaper than buying Office 2013 for each PC.

I don't know if this counts as a lifehack but you could always apply for admission at a local community college which is basically guaranteed and then never register for any classes after they set up your account and give you the email.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

FlashBangBob posted:

Even though all office docs work pretty flawlessly with the Apple versions"

Maybe for word stuff but anything other than your most basic spreadsheet is a terrible experience in Numbers.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Openoffice works on mac doesnt it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seaside Loafer posted:

Openoffice is also terrible.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Google's Sheets gets me by pretty goddamned well for most thing. The only thing I don't like is that a bunch of features are kinda rear end on the mobile versions, but they're generally ignorable until you get to a PC.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Seaside Loafer posted:

No, it's loving terrible and crashes constantly, never mind it hardly ever converts documents correctly. It loving sucks.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Maybe for word stuff but anything other than your most basic spreadsheet is a terrible experience in Numbers.

I think it's pretty decent :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
MS is running a promo tomorrow. First 50 people who show up with an ipad get MS office free for a year

http://content.microsoftstore.com/office