Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So how awesome is the Lu Bu stuff? Because I feel like that's what may be the decider in getting this for the PS3 or just waiting until I get a PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Argh, in Ambition mode if you are fame capped you can lose out on named characters as well as the nobodies.

Also I am supposing it is because I am just starting out, but it is hard to get the consecutive battles needed going to get the real characters recruited, as I am always hurting for time, and sometimes hurting for health from the consecutive battles.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 27, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Don't get too collection happy on officers, by the way. Once you build the palace (I refuse to spell its name) and talk to the minister All but about 30 or so of your officers will leave you, and you have to fight them again Basically try to bumrush on getting good weapons set up. You need the four facilities that are listed at 50, which takes quite a bit of materials grinding. (It helps if you have someone overseeing the farmland, because sometimes when you talk to them they say they found something and'll give you about ten or so materials. Also use the barracks whenever you can for extra supplies.)

EDIT: If it isn't obvious by now, I'm basically having an insomnia induced playthrough at the moment. Checking and posting during loading screens.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 27, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Evil Canadian posted:

Argh, in Ambition mode if you are fame capped you can lose out on named characters as well as the nobodies.

Also I am supposing it is because I am just starting out, but it is hard to get the consecutive battles needed going to get the real characters recruited, as I am always hurting for time, and sometimes hurting for health from the consecutive battles.

You might already know this but For consecutive battles just keep playing supply missions over and over. With the right weapons you can beat them in 5-15 seconds each, maximum 30.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Alright I never played vanilla DW8 so some of the new mechanics are a little confusing to me, and the digital manual isn't that helpful(shocking!):

1. When my guy starts a storm rush, do I have to keep tapping square? It seems like if I don't tap I get less chain hits. I might just be around less people when that happens though.

Also, is it worth switching to manual control for them? Again, the manual says you'll start a storm rush when the spirit meter symbol thing above the enemy's head drains, but I've started them after only a couple hits and with the meter thing still full?

2. What's the best use of Rage? Should I bother using regular attacks, or just Rage and hold O right away? I tried treating like Pirate Warriors 2's Style Mode, but your musou meter starts full so there's nothing to build up?

3. Why do I always max out Guan Yu first? Oh that's right cuz he rules, brother. :cool:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Less taps is less hits. I can't answer the part about the manual rushin' since I haven't played XL yet. Also, the best use of RAGE is to attack normally and when it's just about to run out, then use the true attack. It will continue for as long as your Musou gauge is full, and if you keep finding Musou bottles then you will keep raging across the battlefield until you get tired or all the enemies die.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drakenel posted:

You get +30 feat for a successful bodyguard ploy, so yeah.

Also, it looks like you get feat for playing levels in free mode. Free mode now includes bodyguards it seems, but I just did a level (Yellow Turban Rebellion) on hard, without any bodyguards, and went from level 1 leadership to level 7. I don't know if you gain it from doing the new battle objectives or what.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jibo posted:

1. They changed Zhang Liao's voice actor and he is not nearly as good. Kind of sounds like Liu Bei now.
THIS SERIES IS DEAD TO ME

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kissekatt posted:

As long as Lu Bu is voiced by Jamieson Price, everyone else can be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried for all I care.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

SirPhoebos posted:

As long as Lu Bu is voiced by Jamieson Price, everyone else can be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried for all I care.

Doing his story mode has been great. Getting to see Lu Bu be the loving though mostly negligent father is kinda weird though. Hopefully I can unlock the hypothetical route today and see if his luck improves.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

I would pay premium for dlc for Gilbert Gottfried VA for DW characters.

edit- I was raising leadership level without even being aware of how I was doing so, because when I saw you could issue orders to your officers I latched right onto it in the first fight I had one. If it's one feature I enjoyed immensely from the 'Empires' games, it was the ability to issue orders to subordinates in order to hold down the line.

How is the bodyguard hiring fee raised though? I assume I'd probably figure that out on my own after playing more. I put the game in, and went straight for ambition mode, and have only gotten through enough of the annoying tutorial crap to get the barracks set up.

5er fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 27, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Bodyguard limits is raised through leadership level. Literally.

Also I've learned to never give Ling Tong command. Ever.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 27, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's weird to compare Naotora in Basara and Musou, neither of them went the way I expected. Basara Naotora is out to make a world where poor little girls don't get pushed around by thoughtless military assholes...and then in the end someone says "dude look in a mirror!" and they all laugh about it. In Musou on the other hand, she has this schtick where she starts saying something badass, but then she apologizes and goes all moe afterwards. I guess all the personality types that would otherwise go to an actual female daimyo in the series were used up by characters like Ginchiyo and such?

edit: Koshosho is a great addition to the series though, and makes a great comedy trio with Gracia and Motochika.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 27, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

In Musou on the other hand, she has this schtick where she starts saying something badass, but then she apologizes and goes all moe afterwards. I guess all the personality types that would otherwise go to an actual female daimyo in the series were used up by characters like Ginchiyo and such?
Considering what was previously said about KOEI's characterizing of female characters being so animu we might as well have a :koei: tag.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate PS3 vs. PS4 version comparison screenshots.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Yellow Turban Rebellion being led by the Robot Devil is cracking me up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So is Dynasty Warriors 8 and Xtreme Legends worth the investment? I platinum'd Empires, but the urge for a more standard DW game is itching away at my brain.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

kissekatt posted:

I think it's Steve Blum just in a slightly higher tone than his normal obvious self...

Although I'd forgotten that Blum was Sun Jian back in DW4 (at least)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

5er posted:

I would pay premium for dlc for Gilbert Gottfried VA for DW characters.

Same. I'd pay double for him to voice female character voicepack.

:byodame: My lord Lu Bu!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drakenel posted:

Don't get too collection happy on officers, by the way. Once you build the palace (I refuse to spell its name) and talk to the minister All but about 30 or so of your officers will leave you, and you have to fight them again Basically try to bumrush on getting good weapons set up. You need the four facilities that are listed at 50, which takes quite a bit of materials grinding. (It helps if you have someone overseeing the farmland, because sometimes when you talk to them they say they found something and'll give you about ten or so materials. Also use the barracks whenever you can for extra supplies.)

EDIT: If it isn't obvious by now, I'm basically having an insomnia induced playthrough at the moment. Checking and posting during loading screens.

How do you get good weapons set up? Is there some sort of strategy to reforging? It seems like it's just use up 3 random weapons to get 2 random weapons.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Shinjobi posted:

So is Dynasty Warriors 8 and Xtreme Legends worth the investment? I platinum'd Empires, but the urge for a more standard DW game is itching away at my brain.

Yes, complete edition is a pretty good deal.

I just got Lu Bu's hypothetical route, and that song that starts playing is so drat good. It might be my grinding theme of choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiTblW4WIf8

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

How do you get good weapons set up? Is there some sort of strategy to reforging? It seems like it's just use up 3 random weapons to get 2 random weapons.

Reforging isn't what you want to do. Upgrade the blacksmith till you get Weapon Fusion. Try to get the augments that increase attack power and the one that increases attack speed. (The augments that level go up to ten. Tenth level attack speed is hilariously overpowered)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

Considering what was previously said about KOEI's characterizing of female characters being so animu we might as well have a :koei: tag.
Actually, I find female characters in Musou significantly more progressive than in most Japanese games. Not perfect, but better. The male characters almost always treat them as equals. I assume it's a result of it having so many female fans these days. It's part of the reason I like the series so much.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 28, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Anyone played the Complete Edition on Vita? I was thinking about picking it up because DW is pretty fun and a nice game for mobile play. My only worry is that the game will run like garbage. If the 360 couldn't run DW8 what chance does the Vita have.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ChaosReaper posted:

Anyone played the Complete Edition on Vita? I was thinking about picking it up because DW is pretty fun and a nice game for mobile play. My only worry is that the game will run like garbage. If the 360 couldn't run DW8 what chance does the Vita have.

The frame rate dips sometimes, particularly during Rage mode, so it's a standard portable version for the series. My only complaint is that there's some texture loading issues with water and fire, causing them to be empty voids for a few seconds.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ChaosReaper posted:

This happened to a friend of mine when he used Lu Bu's air Musou once. Other than that I've heard it's solid.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Lu Bu is so powerful, he can destroy you game and system.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Lu Bu destroy you game, man.

Ambition is so, so grindy. I'll probably never play it again once I finish it. Can't wait for empires...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually, I find female characters in Musou significantly more progressive than in most Japanese games. Not perfect, but better. The male characters almost always treat them as equals. I assume it's a result of it having so many female fans these days. It's part of the reason I like the series so much.
That the Musou franchise is actually on the better end of the spectrum I personally find horrifying for what that alludes to about "most Japanese games."

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Yes, complete edition is a pretty good deal.

I just got Lu Bu's hypothetical route, and that song that starts playing is so drat good. It might be my grinding theme of choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiTblW4WIf8
I'm looking for the slow version of LuBu's theme that plays over the intro of the first cutscene (the prep part)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Drakenel posted:

Lu Bu destroy you game, man.

Ambition is so, so grindy. I'll probably never play it again once I finish it. Can't wait for empires...

I can't imagine it on a console, but on the Vita it's a neat enough way to kill 5 minutes on the bus or lunch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chortles posted:

That the Musou franchise is actually on the better end of the spectrum I personally find horrifying for what that alludes to about "most Japanese games."
it's better than most western games too, to be honest. A lot of series wouldn't have had half these characters as playable, either due to not existing in history or not being fighters in history - the fact that they went out of their way to include them is kind of nice, even if the execution is a bit odd sometimes (and only a couple of female characters seem to have solved the mystery of pants)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You have to look past their anime faces/costumes and see more subtle things like that both they and the male characters feel that it's everyone's equal responsibility to protect their clan, and that if someone gets kidnapped or however compromised and in need of saving, it's going to happen to men and women about equally. Most of the women are still basically in support roles, wives supporting their husbands, but they're doing it by galloping off into battle in front and killing their husbands' enemies for them, and I can live with that.

But I mean, we ARE talking pretty low standards of "progressive" here in general; it's video games after all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 28, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
What struck me though is that ever since the TECMO merger the characterization seems to have regressed compared to pre-merger games, i.e. Zhenji's characterization lately... that, and lately it seems like the cliche bombs hit even harder, although at least these days there's a heavy dose of "historyyyyy" and neat references to balance out that.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I was going to make a post about how I'm really disappointed about how they sorta dropped the ball on Lu Lingqi but I'm going to be honest, I expected them to be a lot lazier with how they were going to handle her. The fact they managed to stuff as much characterization as they did in the historical route is honestly better than the last XL additions and most of the new guys in 8.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I was kinda surprised at the lack of "benevolence" in the shu campaign considering how much talk of Chaos and Ambition there is in the Wei campaign, right up until Zhuge Liang first appears and I have just hit a benevolent brick wall.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

ChaosReaper posted:

It kinda runs like garbage, but it's still fun and portable DW is awesome. The framerate is mostly okay, except for when it isn't :v:

I should really be going for the "get first in all challenges" trophy while there's only 100 or so scores up on the leaderboard. I always have to go through Story mode once for each faction first though, don't know why. New DW game ritual I've had since 3 or so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Static Rook posted:

I always have to go through Story mode once for each faction first though, don't know why. New DW game ritual I've had since 3 or so.

Same here, always do the story campaign before anything else, guess it's a holdover from when your only options were musou mode or free mode and maybe some pointless challenges.

VVVV Yeah, that's pretty weird, just pick a faction and stick with it. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 28, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I always go through the story modes each one stage at a time, rather than playing any one story mode right down. Is that weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Static Rook posted:

I should really be going for the "get first in all challenges" trophy while there's only 100 or so scores up on the leaderboard. I always have to go through Story mode once for each faction first though, don't know why. New DW game ritual I've had since 3 or so.

Those Trophies say "get rank number 1" in xyz, but they are not actually tied to the leaderboards are they? If so they would be ridiculous and unachievable in quick order.