Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doltos posted:

The problem is most women leaders in antiquity were really loving bonkers crazy.
Um, assuming that is true, how is this an issue? It fits with how the AI plays and probably most players too, myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Um, assuming that is true, how is this an issue? It fits with how the AI plays and probably most players too, myself included.

With an avatar like that, I should hope so :colbert:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gort posted:

Portugal's pretty good - doubled money from resource diversity gets pretty big once you are able to steal the luxury resources from every city state on the map.

How do you do that btw? I never figured out how city-state interactions work with connecting resources to a trade network. Do you have to build a road to their city-state?

Poil posted:

I thought they were avoiding the psycho rulers. Kind of why Stalin and Hitler aren't in even though they were arguably the most influential leaders in the history of their countries.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

How do you do that btw? I never figured out how city-state interactions work with connecting resources to a trade network. Do you have to build a road to their city-state?
A resource that's in your trade network is one that you've done one of a) improved, and it's in your territory (not necessarily in the working region of one of your cities, but inside your borders); b) received in trade from another civ (e.g. in a "I'll give you one of my spare Silks if you give me one of your spare Wines" kind of deal), or c) received from being the ally of a city-state.

Thus if city-state A has access to Ivory, and city-state B wants you to connect Ivory to your trade network, then allying with city-state A will accomplish this. But only if city-state A has gotten around to building the relevant tile improvement! And their workers are lazy assholes.

quote:

I thought they were avoiding the psycho rulers. Kind of why Stalin and Hitler aren't in even though they were arguably the most influential leaders in the history of their countries.

Not this again :cripes: Stalin's been in in prior games. Hitler's not in because Firaxis wants to be able to sell the game in Germany.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Doltos posted:

Portugal has the Feitoria, a unique tile improvement that let's you grab luxuries from city states regardless of allegiance. Otherwise, allying with a city state as normal automatically gives you access to their resources.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Riso posted:

Option 1)
Charles V.

Holy Roman Emperor, King of Spain, Lord of the Netherlands and Count Palatine of Burgundy, Archduke of Austria

Option 2)
Ferdinand I

Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia, Hungary, and Croatia, Archduke of Austria
Since we're on the subject of great German monarchs why not Wilhelm II or Ferdinand II?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A resource that's in your trade network is one that you've done one of a) improved, and it's in your territory (not necessarily in the working region of one of your cities, but inside your borders); b) received in trade from another civ (e.g. in a "I'll give you one of my spare Silks if you give me one of your spare Wines" kind of deal), or c) received from being the ally of a city-state.

Thus if city-state A has access to Ivory, and city-state B wants you to connect Ivory to your trade network, then allying with city-state A will accomplish this. But only if city-state A has gotten around to building the relevant tile improvement! And their workers are lazy assholes.

Ah ok then. I almost never see a city-state with unimproved resources though, unless they're getting hammered by barbs. I didn't know allying with a city-state automatically gave you that resource. Is that also how gold and science bonuses go up with them, if you ally with them?

Not this again :cripes: Stalin's been in in prior games. Hitler's not in because Firaxis wants to be able to sell the game in Germany.

Didn't know that, I only started playing Civ in Civ 4 and I barely played it.

I'd kill for an evil dictator edition of Civ. Let me play as Oliver Cromwell already :argh:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Doltos posted:

Ah ok then. I almost never see a city-state with unimproved resources though, unless they're getting hammered by barbs. I didn't know allying with a city-state automatically gave you that resource. Is that also how gold and science bonuses go up with them, if you ally with them?

Didn't know that, I only started playing Civ in Civ 4 and I barely played it.

I'd kill for an evil dictator edition of Civ. Let me play as Oliver Cromwell already :argh:

Stalin is totally in Civ 4. So is Mao.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Doltos posted:

What are the best money making factions besides Venice? Is it Morocco?

Morocco is good. Arabia is also good for a few reasons. The landships part of their UA does boost gold from caravans since the distance is a factor in their value. The other part is the extra copies of luxuries from the bazaar means you can sell at least 1 of every luxury you own, which isn't always the case otherwise. That's super good.

Portugal will make a lot of money from routes as well because they get a bonus to the trade route value from different resources. It's more situational, however.

Gort posted:

Social Policies:
Tradition should be taken in this order:

Just one note on this. Whether you take Landed Elite or Monarchy first depends a lot on how early of a settler you are getting. If you get a settler before turn 30 or so, Monarchy is a better pick because you will not be growing in that time anyway, and you likely won't have a worker improving a luxury, so you'll need that -1/-2 unhappiness early on to squeak by before you have improved a luxury. This is how I do most of the time, actually.

Another thing to note is that usually after you've done monarchy & landed elite, there's usually a gap before you need aristocracy, and technically you don't even -need- it, if all you're doing with it is the national college. It's a good time to think about opening another tree. Patronage is useful around this time since you're often completing your first quests and diminishing your influence decay will help you get the most out of that early on. Aesthetics is really weird because none of it is really useful until the late medieval era but it's a classical tree. So even if you're going for culture, you might wait on that one. Really patronage is the only way to go if you're going to open another tree before finishing tradition.

If you do finish tradition first and get to medieval, you might consider Commerce, if your capitol is making a good amount of gold, the 33% boost is nice (and since you went tradition you're likely making decent money there). You could still go patronage at this point, too, however.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

If you do finish tradition first and get to medieval, you might consider Commerce, if your capitol is making a good amount of gold, the 33% boost is nice (and since you went tradition you're likely making decent money there). You could still go patronage at this point, too, however.

Depending on who I play, I quite like the Exploration opener (especially if I play a seafaring nation like England) for the added movement and sight for ships as an alternative to the Commerce opener. It just allows me that extra bit of flexibility if I rely more heavily on ships either way either by having better movement or more advance warning because of the sight radius.

However, what do people think of the "+3 Production in coastal cities" policy that's next in that tree? Is that a poor choice no matter what, or is that worth taking if all of my cities are coastal cities?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Just one note on this. Whether you take Landed Elite or Monarchy first depends a lot on how early of a settler you are getting. If you get a settler before turn 30 or so, Monarchy is a better pick because you will not be growing in that time anyway, and you likely won't have a worker improving a luxury, so you'll need that -1/-2 unhappiness early on to squeak by before you have improved a luxury. This is how I do most of the time, actually.

The +2 food in the capital does improve the speed at which the settler is "built", though. So it's not a completely one-sided equation. The big bonus is the %growth benefit, though, and I'll grant that's not much use if your city is unhappy.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

The +2 food in the capital does improve the speed at which the settler is "built", though. So it's not a completely one-sided equation. The big bonus is the %growth benefit, though, and I'll grant that's not much use if your city is unhappy.

Sure, but you're still going to be unhappy when you settle. It's not a terrible choice, depending on the circumstance, but you probably won't get the most of it, compared with when you would grow to 5 pop or so before considering a settler.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hollow Talk posted:

However, what do people think of the "+3 Production in coastal cities" policy that's next in that tree? Is that a poor choice no matter what, or is that worth taking if all of my cities are coastal cities?
I love it. But I tend to have a lot of cities so if it's an island map I always grab it and the happiness from coastal buildings. The more cities you have the better it becomes. Screw optimal strategy. If I can build/take another city I will.

With an avatar like that, I should hope so :colbert:
Oh, it does.

feet. (it's from Rusty & co)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Insane Civ is the only way to play multiplayer Civ. I love hearing my friends groan when they realize they started near my territory.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Since people were mentioning watching Civ players to learn how to play the game better, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend someone good at the game playing multiplayer matches. That's my main focus when attempting to learn the game, and the rules change somewhat when you're squaring off against humans instead of AI. Thanks!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I never really looked at your av too closely and always assumed that she was holding up some sort of club high in the air with her right arm... only now do I see that that would have meant her arm being stick-thin

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I don't know about live streaming but here are a few youtube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PrimEvalCIV
https://www.youtube.com/user/SBFMadDjinn
https://www.youtube.com/user/Marbozir

I would follow those in order I listed them as far as who is good to learn from. PrimEval has really good narration of his overall strategy as well as some mechanics quirks to note as he plays.

MadJinn is only slightly less articulate, but the real downside is he'll often deliberately pursue suboptimal strategies because he can, which isn't as useful when you're just trying to learn how to play.

Marbozir is decent but probably a little weak as a player to be streaming, tbh. That and he usually plays on Epic speed which make war mongering significantly easier. Still, he has the most games posted out of anyone and he's almost always doing one, whereas PrimEval might do one game every few months and MadJinn has mostly moved on to other games, mostly EU4 these days.

Edit: MadJinn also has (had?) a regular show, Beyond the Monument, which was basically an educational series for Civ.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

So even if you're going for culture, you might wait on that one. Really patronage is the only way to go if you're going to open another tree before finishing tradition.

I would never put off finishing tradition unless I knew I was going to be stuck unhappy for a while (which I've hosed up if so).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

So I finally got around to watching these after meaning to for ages.

He goes for Liberty right away instead of Tradition - I've always gone Trad first to get the +3 in my capital, rather than +1, then getting the free Monument (+2 in capital), and then going Liberty, when I'm closer to founding my second city.

Why does he go Liberty instead right away? E: He talks about "expanding rapidly" but if he's building a Pathfinder first, he'd get at least one more policy from +3 culture in the cap before he could even build a Settler? :confused:

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Bashez posted:

I would never put off finishing tradition unless I knew I was going to be stuck unhappy for a while (which I've hosed up if so).

Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

Peas and Rice posted:

So I finally got around to watching these after meaning to for ages.

He goes for Liberty right away instead of Tradition - I've always gone Trad first to get the +3 in my capital, rather than +1, then getting the free Monument (+2 in capital), and then going Liberty, when I'm closer to founding my second city.

Why does he go Liberty instead right away? E: He talks about "expanding rapidly" but if he's building a Pathfinder first, he'd get at least one more policy from +3 culture in the cap before he could even build a Settler? :confused:

Long term it's just going to really ramp up your later policy cost. You can argue the merits of going liberty over tradition (there aren't really any), but unless you're Poland you probably don't want to do what you're suggesting.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Liberty would be so much better if the free worker and the free settler were on the same track.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doltos posted:

Insane Civ is the only way to play multiplayer Civ. I love hearing my friends groan when they realize they started near my territory.

I found Squid 9 tiles away around Turn 5, and immediately switched into :frogsiren: mode. Went early monument, put 3 points into Liberty for the free settler, rammed it into Squid's face to control the land, built up 3 early war chariots, intending on protecting my aggressive settlement.

Squid then declared on me to snatch an undefended worker. Unfortunately for him, it was a trap to gauge his reactions: could I safely contain him and expand/grow elsewhere? No, I clearly couldn't, so I made the decision to double-down the aggression. So I recaptured the worker and pumped out several more WCs.

After that was me carefully crossing 4 WCs and an archer to the east side of that river one at a time, and thereby encircling Copenhagen from the east. Afterwards, I moved all units into range at once, and started the attack. I don't think Squid had realised how crucial my river crossing was, so he concentrated his fire to the west of the river, which allowed me to rotate units out with a couple of reserve WCs. If he had fired on the west of the river, I wouldn't have been able to rotate out units, they would have been trapped and I would have taken some real casualties.

On the penultimate turn, I moved two warriors in range of capturing the city. I wasn't going to let Squid get away for lack of melee.

Lord Justice posted:

Since people were mentioning watching Civ players to learn how to play the game better, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend someone good at the game playing multiplayer matches. That's my main focus when attempting to learn the game, and the rules change somewhat when you're squaring off against humans instead of AI. Thanks!

Yoorus records his MP games, they're quite entertaining to watch. I may have learnt some tactics from him.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I found Squid 9 tiles away around Turn 5, and immediately switched into :frogsiren: mode. Went early monument, put 3 points into Liberty for the free settler, rammed it into Squid's face to control the land, built up 3 early war chariots, intending on protecting my aggressive settlement.

Squid then declared on me to snatch an undefended worker. Unfortunately for him, it was a trap to gauge his reactions: could I safely contain him and expand/grow elsewhere? No, I clearly couldn't, so I made the decision to double-down the aggression. So I recaptured the worker and pumped out several more WCs.

After that was me carefully crossing 4 WCs and an archer to the east side of that river one at a time, and thereby encircling Copenhagen from the east. Afterwards, I moved all units into range at once, and started the attack. I don't think Squid had realised how crucial my river crossing was, so he concentrated his fire to the west of the river, which allowed me to rotate units out with a couple of reserve WCs. If he had fired on the west of the river, I wouldn't have been able to rotate out units, they would have been trapped and I would have taken some real casualties.

On the penultimate turn, I moved two warriors in range of capturing the city. I wasn't going to let Squid get away for lack of melee.

Ahaha nice, so this is Gustavus' Beard at the moment. I'm in Pacal's Stupid Hat and I'm fairly sure I'm all alone on an island even though we were supposed to have chosen Pangaea. :raise: Which is still nice as I'm Carthage.

edit: Squid if you're readin I'm down for Askia's Insurance Fraud as well :holy:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Liberty would be so much better if the free worker and the free settler were on the same track.

Liberty needs food and happiness to be competitive.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Bashez posted:

Liberty needs a policy that reduces the cost for national wonders or at least a buff to that terrible policy I forget the name of that gives you a single happiness per city connection.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I am Reverend posted:

Liberty needs a policy that reduces the cost for national wonders or at least a buff to that terrible policy I forget the name of that gives you a single happiness per city connection.

Meritocracy is comparable to Aristocracy, I think. Citizenship, Collective rule, and the finisher for Liberty are all too short term. They have nothing like Monarchy and the Tradition finisher which are amazing the duration of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bashez posted:

It does, it has "Additional cities increase Culture cost by 33% less than normal" so you can go down the Tradition tree :downs:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
If I was improving Liberty, I'd do something like this;

Keep the opener as is, it's not as good as the Tradition opener, but what is?
Swap the position of Meritocracy with that of Collective Rule, and add 25% production of Settlers to all cities except the capital to CR, with the Capital keeping its 50% bonus. Republic gets 10% food in all cities instead of 5% building production. Representation is unchanged, as is Citizenship, Meritocracy and the Pyramids unlock. The finisher Great Person becomes absolutely free instead of increasing the cost of your next GP, like the Piety finisher is.

Still not as good as Tradition, but its an improvement.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 29, 2014

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I would follow those in order I listed them as far as who is good to learn from. PrimEval has really good narration of his overall strategy as well as some mechanics quirks to note as he plays.

MadJinn is only slightly less articulate, but the real downside is he'll often deliberately pursue suboptimal strategies because he can, which isn't as useful when you're just trying to learn how to play.

Marbozir is decent but probably a little weak as a player to be streaming, tbh. That and he usually plays on Epic speed which make war mongering significantly easier. Still, he has the most games posted out of anyone and he's almost always doing one, whereas PrimEval might do one game every few months and MadJinn has mostly moved on to other games, mostly EU4 these days.

Edit: MadJinn also has (had?) a regular show, Beyond the Monument, which was basically an educational series for Civ.

Thanks for this, I'm watching PrimEval and he is explaining things really well -- great stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PrimEval is okay, but the only player I’ve seen as good as MadDjinn is Elcee.

He does a lot of domination victories, something I have trouble with on Deity, though I don’t think he explains what he’s doing as well as some others.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't think maddjinn has done a civ video for months.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Thanks for the links. I watched some of the PrimEval Civ videos and I did not even know the prices that the AI usually pays for trades. I am awful at this game but trying to improve.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

uPen posted:

I don't think maddjinn has done a civ video for months.

He's been doing EUIV stuff, but I think he still does Beyond the Monument?

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Isn't that just what you're supposed to do?

Yeah, but warring for x amount of turns on Immortal tends to put you way behind everyone that wasn't involved and at that point it's a bit of an uphill slog. I try not to fight any wars unless the AI gives me a good reason, like settling all their poo poo on stuff I need.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Stallion Cabana posted:

He's been doing EUIV stuff, but I think he still does Beyond the Monument?

He does Beyond the Monument once a month, but in the last few months has been bad at scoping the episode's topic to fit into two hours. This led to a failure cascade where a large portion of time of the show is spent continuing from the last episode and results in not enough time for the new topic, which then has to extend into the next episode, and so on. Coupled with the long time between episodes, it's hard for me to still like it/find it informative.

Elcee and PrimEval are both good if you want to learn by watching other people LP deity.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

One thing that always kind of floors me is these guys building and getting wonders that I would never in a million years see a chance to build (lookin at you, PrimEval as France)

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
So is Underground Sect just broken? It says your spies exert religious pressure on foreign cities they occupy but I'm not noticing any pressure change?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

So it was a trap! I should've known you wouldn't casually leave a worker open like that. That said, I don't think I did any harm to myself by stealing it, because I had already resigned myself to an inevitable invasion. I didn't think (and still don't) that I would have ever been left alone to just sit around, taking up valuable land and being a constant (if tiny) annoying threat on your border. I did nothing but pump out units but you still kept ahead in military - the writing was on the wall.

And I can assure you I had no loving idea what I was doing with my defense. I knew that if I sent them south or east they would just get slaughtered (too easily surrounded by chariots) so I held them back even though this made them utterly useless. The forests didn't help, of course.

I made several mistakes in that game: not recognising you were going to forward settle (and not attempting the same), not knowing where to put my units, and finally not building a 'refugee' settler and getting the gently caress out of there (had I gone for that I would have settled the hilly, mountain-ringed outcrop in the north-east and held on for dear life)

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Ahaha nice, so this is Gustavus' Beard at the moment. I'm in Pacal's Stupid Hat and I'm fairly sure I'm all alone on an island even though we were supposed to have chosen Pangaea. :raise: Which is still nice as I'm Carthage.

edit: Squid if you're readin I'm down for Askia's Insurance Fraud as well :holy:

By all means! Links are in the steam group discussion thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv/discussions/0/540732888809763839/

It's definitely a Pangaea so you really shouldn't be on an island... however I guess it's possible you're split off by some shallow coast? Is that something that can happen in Pangaea?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

KKKlean Energy posted:

So it was a trap! I should've known you wouldn't casually leave a worker open like that. That said, I don't think I did any harm to myself by stealing it, because I had already resigned myself to an inevitable invasion. I didn't think (and still don't) that I would have ever been left alone to just sit around, taking up valuable land and being a constant (if tiny) annoying threat on your border. I did nothing but pump out units but you still kept ahead in military - the writing was on the wall.

And I can assure you I had no loving idea what I was doing with my defense. I knew that if I sent them south or east they would just get slaughtered (too easily surrounded by chariots) so I held them back even though this made them utterly useless. The forests didn't help, of course.

I made several mistakes in that game: not recognising you were going to forward settle (and not attempting the same), not knowing where to put my units, and finally not building a 'refugee' settler and getting the gently caress out of there (had I gone for that I would have settled the hilly, mountain-ringed outcrop in the north-east and held on for dear life)

By all means! Links are in the steam group discussion thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv/discussions/0/540732888809763839/

It's definitely a Pangaea so you really shouldn't be on an island... however I guess it's possible you're split off by some shallow coast? Is that something that can happen in Pangaea?

I eventually found an isthmus to another landmass, but as far as I'm concerned, it looks like I've got some room to stretch out. Though I guess this also means you're safe from my elephants. :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I just pulled off my first victory on Emperor, as Montezuma. Standard-sized map, normal speed, no ruins, raging barbarians. I figured I'd farm the barbarians for early culture, transition into farming other civs for culture, take over my continent, and see how things went...then it turned out that my continent had 6 out of the 8 civs (with me smack in the middle) and pretty soon there wasn't any fog left, raging barbs or no raging barbs.

So I just settled two extra cities, then teched for the next few thousand years. Everything was bizarrely peaceful, aside from the hilarious holy wars waged over my capital, where two Great Prophets of different religions would sit next to it and mass-convert it back and forth.

Eventually we finally got some proper wars, but it took awhile. I was all set to win a diplomatic victory when I realized that I could only get up to 38 (out of 40 needed) votes by bribing city-states. So instead I went on the warpath, blitzed down Arabia's major cities, and one turn before the second diplomatic-victory vote would have come up, I won a culture victory instead.

Maybe next time I'll go Shaka and do a proper domination victory :black101:

• Locked thread