Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

You Am I posted:

The rear tail lights kinda remind me of the Porsche 968

Good thing the 968 has one of the best rears ever on a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

ColHannibal posted:

I needed a truck for practical things.

Practical

Things.

These things are the best thing GM produced in the 60's except the Safari wagons.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I've been driving past this glorious thing for a couple months now.

My dream is to refurb one of these and drive it across the US. One of my guilty time wasters is looking online at how people have fixed them up

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

ColHannibal posted:

I needed a truck for practical things.

Practical

Things.
That is amazing. Google says it's a '61 - '65 Corvair 95 Rampside, is that right?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

That is amazing. Google says it's a '61 - '65 Corvair 95 Rampside, is that right?

62 Corvair Rampside.

The plan is to keep it as close to stock as possible but change the stripe color to red.

Bonus impractical garage picture;

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 28, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You must really hate coolant.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Powershift posted:

You must really hate coolant.

What is this thing you call coolant?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to be you so badly right now.

I'd settle for your weather and climate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to be you so badly right now.

I'd settle for your weather and climate.

don't worry, the snow is supposed to stop in a week. :smith:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

So, I've been driving past this glorious thing for a couple months now. It's parked in the lot of an old school neighborhood service station near the community center where I take my kids to play. Michigan antique plates, "Eleganza II" badging, and a kickin' mural that features the truck itself cruising along a mountain highway at sunset. It's just perfect, and I want it real bad.

Fun fact: Those were front wheel drive. See, wasn't that fun?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

trouser chili posted:

Fun fact: Those were front wheel drive. See, wasn't that fun?

Oh, I'm well aware. They ran a Toronado drivetrain. I can't even imagine how much in gas that thing costs to run. I still want one despite that, though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Oh, I'm well aware. They ran a Toronado drivetrain. I can't even imagine how much in gas that thing costs to run. I still want one despite that, though.

I wonder if those 455 motors shared a common bellhousing with any GM diesels. I also wonder if that chain drive behind the bellhousing could survive that kind of torque.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's apparently a small cottage industry for fixing up those old GM motorhomes, including turbocharging and other fun stuff. That batshit chain-drive is apparently stronger than it has any right to be.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

There's apparently a small cottage industry for fixing up those old GM motorhomes, including turbocharging and other fun stuff. That batshit chain-drive is apparently stronger than it has any right to be.

Once every so often, GM has a bad idea and really commits to it. Then they take a break by half-assing everything else they make until it's time for the next well-implemented bad idea.

A CAR MADE OUT OF MOTHERFUCKING FIBERGLASS... WITH LEAF SPRINGS!
IT'S A VW BEETLE.. BUT IT'S A TRUCK THAT LOADS FROM THE SIDE!!!
IT'S A MID ENGINED SPORTS CAR THAT'S ALSO A COMMUTER

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 28, 2014

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
They did use a perfectly fine Riviera to make the Toronado, and Buick parts are uncommon but cheap so there is some plug and play possible.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

bung posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the terrible car stuff thread. This car was on campus today as part of a publicity campaign for the movie Jinn which was shot in Detroit. It looked like it was put together pretty well and I think it looks much better than the Firebird conversions I've seen. This thing was called Firebreather.

The rear end does remind me of the original Eagle Talon.

The media company in charge of promoting Jinn sent me an email with tons of information on the car, asking my club to help promote the movie. I was confused when the only videos I could find on the Firebreather were from 4 years ago, but I guess independently-produced movies take a while to get traction. The same thing happened for Hit and Run (cool car, weird movie), Drive, and oddly enough White House Down because I guess they were touring their replica of the Presidential limo.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

The media company in charge of promoting Jinn sent me an email with tons of information on the car, asking my club to help promote the movie. I was confused when the only videos I could find on the Firebreather were from 4 years ago, but I guess independently-produced movies take a while to get traction. The same thing happened for Hit and Run (cool car, weird movie), Drive, and oddly enough White House Down because I guess they were touring their replica of the Presidential limo.

Why the gently caress would marketing teams with those movies send you car-specific information?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Because I guess the car is supposed to be a major aspect of the movie, to the point that the filmmakers are having 50 of them made for sale?

"I am contacting you because a key aspect of this film is the car that is featured in the film, The Firebreather. Our film studio has partnered with Classic Design Concepts, in order to create a high performance American muscle car that will thrill audiences in theaters and turn heads on highways. Meaning yes, this 600+ horsepower automobile will be the first automobile that has been designed by the filmmaker and will be available for purchase to the general public. The car truly is amazing!"

http://firebreathercar.com/

I agree with Bung, the most appealing aspect of the car is that looks waaaay better than the majority of Firebird kitted Camaros.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Jesus loving christ. The most :black101: bug. I would love to hear that thing running.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Nature's PTO!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

angryhampster posted:

Why the gently caress would marketing teams with those movies send you car-specific information?

Because he's in the know, man :jerkbag:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good thing the 968 has one of the best rears ever on a car.
I'm not sold on it really. I find it very featureless compared to the 944.

e: Not to say that I would love a set of 968 mirrors and doorhandles for my S2 though.

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 28, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

H1KE posted:

Jesus loving christ. The most :black101: bug. I would love to hear that thing running.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

H1KE posted:

I took a video of its later, more technologically advanced successor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdkXwFQ3c

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Falken posted:

I'm not sold on it really. I find it very featureless compared to the 944.

Yeah, it's a shame they stopped buying tail lights from Volvo for the 968s.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, it's a shame they stopped buying tail lights from Volvo for the 968s.
Happens all the time. Sierra estate and Fiesta back lights on TVRs, Rover 200 ones on Jag XJ220s.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

InitialDave posted:

Happens all the time. Sierra estate and Fiesta back lights on TVRs, Rover 200 ones on Jag XJ220s.
Like a glittering diamond ring plucked from the turds of a voracious dog.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Toyota Corolla on the Lotus Espirit (later Toyota Corolla in the Elise)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hyundai Sonata tail lights on the Noble M12.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phone posted:

Toyota Corolla on the Lotus Espirit (later Toyota Corolla in the Elise)
When did this happen?
Google doesn't seem to show it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The headlight is exactly the same. The carbon fiber eyebrows are to cover the nissan logo cast into the lens.

Also, punching 300zx into google only gets you one un-riced result, and it's the wikipedia picture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's probably the engine :laugh:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

H1KE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsmTeQXVME

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Needs more spikes:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Does it... does it drive? :ohdear:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh god did he just prop that poor engine with the starter? :gonk:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The headlight is exactly the same. The carbon fiber eyebrows are to cover the nissan logo cast into the lens.

Also, punching 300zx into google only gets you one un-riced result, and it's the wikipedia picture.

Man, the Z32 is really one of the most timeless car designs of all time. I love it so much; wish I had room in my life for one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

Who went back in time and found a completely unmolested FD? They're as rare a unicorn as the mythical unmolested 2JZ supra.

Always hard to tell from Trademe but this one looks pretty good http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mazda/auction-711562492.htm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blk posted:

Man, the Z32 is really one of the most timeless car designs of all time. I love it so much; wish I had room in my life for one.

Try working on one, your opinion will rectify itself nicely.

dissss posted:

Always hard to tell from Trademe but this one looks pretty good http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mazda/auction-711562492.htm

Nice. If it's the factory engine it'll be hosed at that kind of mileage, though. Not that it's difficult to rebuild a rotary, but still.

edit: never mind, he's said that it was rebuilt 10k ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Try working on one, your opinion will rectify itself nicely.

Nice. If it's the factory engine it'll be hosed at that kind of mileage, though. Not that it's difficult to rebuild a rotary, but still.

edit: never mind, he's said that it was rebuilt 10k ago.

I think only the 3000GT VR4s are worse to work on out of all the 90s japanese supercars.