Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
just fuckin use your bankai already! damnit!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Kenpachi also left his eyepatch with Yachiru before going to his murder-off, so it's a bit of a mystery why he has it back.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oxxidation posted:

Kenpachi also left his eyepatch with Yachiru before going to his murder-off, so it's a bit of a mystery why he has it back.

Kubo has eyepatch amnesia remember? Hopefully someone points it out forcing Kubo to make it imagination Kenpachi even if it wasn't originally supposed to be. Someone that can type Japanese well should send him an email.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Geniasis posted:

Essentially the eye-patch was just one of his power-limiters. Subconsciously he's been holding the bulk of it back this entire time. Likewise, he instinctively unlocks more everytime he comes close to death.

So naturally, Unohana kept killing and reviving him until he'd awakened it all.

What's to stop him doing it again? It seems dumb to brute force that. He needed to change internally, he should have done some training more like Ichigo has multiple times where he goes to the inner world sideways city or whatever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's to stop him doing it again? It seems dumb to brute force that. He needed to change internally, he should have done some training more like Ichigo has multiple times where he goes to the inner world sideways city or whatever.

Sure he can do it again later after the Sternritter are dead. Their only goal was to get him to recognize he did that and unleash his full potential on the Sternritter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, considering that Unohana pretty much thinks outright that he now has plenty of people to fight against who might prove to be a challenge (like YWACH) and dudes to spar with (Byakuya, Ichigo and for some loving weird reason, Renji????), she didn't seem to think he would have to regress again in the future.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

pixaal posted:

Kubo has eyepatch amnesia remember? Hopefully someone points it out forcing Kubo to make it imagination Kenpachi even if it wasn't originally supposed to be. Someone that can type Japanese well should send him an email.

Man that reminds me of the one time someone tweeted Kubo with something like "Oh wow *event* that happened in the latest Bleach was so cool!" and he immediately replied with "That issue of Jump doesn't hit shelves until next week. Stop reading scanlations."

Reminder that the WSJ everyone is talking about in this thread hasn't actually come out in Japan yet.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

The_Frag_Man posted:

I thought the point of Unohana fighting him was that she was killing him over and over and over again. Each time he died and came back, his subconscious limiter was being removed because by being beaten over and over his body stopped holding itself back. The reason he subconsciously created a limit in the first place was because he was so much stronger than anyone he had ever fought and it was boring. Now he has lots of strong people to fight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Batmasterson posted:

I thought the point of Unohana fighting him was that she was killing him over and over and over again. Each time he died and came back, his subconscious limiter was being removed because by being beaten over and over his body stopped holding itself back. The reason he subconsciously created a limit in the first place was because he was so much stronger than anyone he had ever fought and it was boring. Now he has lots of strong people to fight.

So does that mean his bankai is just going super saiyan?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

pixaal posted:

Hey wait..

Maybe this is Kyoraku (Who is supposed to have an eyepatch) fighting and Kyoraku is Aizen and.. I don't know where Kenpachi is in this scenario. But Kyoraku seems like a better counter with his "My swords make up random game rules" power against Imagination Man. If we need a reason why someone capable of such illusions would screw up on these details.. maybe it IS Kenpachi where Kyoraku is, and the reason they got it wrong is because no one told Aizen about these things because he's still locked up and being forced to run the circus from the sub-basement maintenance booth.

That said I am not actually putting my chips on that number, I think Kubo forgetting is more likely. Kenpachi's declaration about Unohana has the weight of finality about it. It doesn't feel like something an imaginary Kenpachi would say only to be undone or repeated later. I'd rather believe Kubo is being bad about consistent art details.

We don't have the slightest idea what kind of Zanpakuto he has yet, do we? Was it ever said why the hilt was different from a normal sealed Zanpakuto? Or is the official line still that he's somehow in Shikai mode all the time just like Ichigo supposedly was, despite not even knowing its name? Sealed or not, I don't see Kenpachi pulling out some random fire or ice powers. Do Zanpakuto like Kyoraku's even have any kind of element attached to them?

AnonSpore posted:

Man that reminds me of the one time someone tweeted Kubo with something like "Oh wow *event* that happened in the latest Bleach was so cool!" and he immediately replied with "That issue of Jump doesn't hit shelves until next week. Stop reading scanlations."

For some reason that sounds like something that would happen to me.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Spiderdrake posted:

I think it's real simply because the whole imaginary angle is just too sweet. :(

We're only gonna know until Imaginary Kenpachi mortally wounds the kid and he fizzles out right after.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lamebot posted:

We're only gonna know until Imaginary Kenpachi mortally wounds the kid and he fizzles out right after.

Or Kenpachi gets mortally wounded only for him to show up two panels afterwards like nothing happened with the kid losing his poo poo over it. Then he sees three kenpachis and he figures out something has gone horribly wrong.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Spending five chapters on imaginary Kenpachi would definitely be a total Kubo thing to do.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

slev posted:

Spending five chapters on imaginary Kenpachi would definitely be a total Kubo thing to do.

Especially if afterwards, real Kenpachi only got one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

awwww man I just had the most hype idea.
Imagination kid barely wins against imaginary Kenpachi.
He turns to Yachiru and begins :words:ing.

Then he gets cleaved in half from fuckin nowhere.

Turns out real Kenpachi just came out of that dark room thing and just cut him from across SS.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I would be so happy if the real Kenpachi showed up out of nowhere and pulled the old Reiatsu trick on him.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man you just know that Kenpachi's gonna get another "loving BORING" panel before this is over.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Man you just know that Kenpachi's gonna get another "loving BORING" panel before this is over.

Which would be deserved, because holy poo poo is Gremmy dull. Dull design, dull power, dull personality, dull dull dull.

And the way Kubo draws his eyes really annoys me for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Thoren posted:

I would be so happy if the real Kenpachi showed up out of nowhere and pulled the old Reiatsu trick on him.

I'm kind of hoping Yachiru manages to pull this off on her own in the end personally, same as Rukia did despite Byakuya showing up part way through the fight. More Kenpachi is always cool, but I've been waiting years for Yachiru to fight and I don't really want what will probably be her sole fight won on her behalf by someone else.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinda why I'm hoping that Ken is not real and Yachiru is basically fighting fire with fire.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Gremmy beats imaginary Ken. Yachiru goes "No one beats Ken-Chan" and imaginary Ken gets back up 3x more powerful and kills him. Real Kenpachi shows up and asks what happened and Yachiru says she wants cookies. Series end. Pay me.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Real Ken shows up.
Real Ken: Who's the fake?
Yachiru: I was having fun with make believe (this guys ability). You should too.
Real Ken battles fake Ken. Gremmy tries to join; Yachiru tells him to shutup.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

logis posted:

Real Ken shows up.
Real Ken: Who's the fake?
Yachiru: I was having fun with make believe (this guys ability). You should too.
Real Ken battles fake Ken. Gremmy tries to join; Yachiru tells him to shutup.

Alternatively, Gremmy tries to interrupt, both Kens murder him, fake Ken disappears, real one frowns.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Alternatively, Gremmy tries to interrupt, both Kens murder him, fake Ken disappears, real one frowns.

I prefer this as the solution to "how are we ever going to determine which is the real Kenpachi?!"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Guys stop talking about a Bleach that's more fun than real Bleach, I'm not sure I can take the crushing disappointment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Guys stop talking about a Bleach that's more fun than real Bleach, I'm not sure I can take the crushing disappointment.

This is a thread about Bleach. Crushing disappointment is the name of the game.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is a thread about Bleach. Crushing disappointment is the name of the game.

And while Kubo definitely has some high points and long stretches where he far exceeds any of our expectations with stuff we could never imagine, coming up with ideas that are better than a lot of his output is a long standing thread tradition at this point. I still remember someone's post postulating that Ichigo's three sides (at the time: human, shinigami and hollow) were representations of the classic Freudian psyche years back for instance. It's the oldest example I can think of off hand, but there have been plenty more over the years.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I still remember someone's post postulating that Ichigo's three sides (at the time: human, shinigami and hollow) were representations of the classic Freudian psyche years back for instance.

It's interesting how, while reason/order/smugness/apathy/willful hypocrisy/general superego-ness (obviously these things aren't synonymous, but people like Ulquiorra seem to think they are) versus passion/chaos/instinct/pointless violence/general id-ness is a recurring theme in Bleach, it doesn't map completely neatly to human vs. hollow. Aizen, Byakuya, Tousen, "Zangetsu," Ulquiorra, Starrk, Tsukishima, Chad, and Yhwach are all part of the smug and orderly side, for instance, while Hollow Ichigo (particularly White), Ichigo himself, Kenpachi, Grimmjow, Nnorita, Yammy, Wonderweiss, Bazz-B, and Yachiru are on the other side.

Edit: There's also people like Mayuri, Szayel, and Baraggan, who combine the worst of both worlds.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 29, 2014

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

AnonSpore posted:

Just imagine how Kenpachi feels in almost all of his fights. Now you can relate!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I've dropped Bleach more times than I can even remember over the years, but since the Quincy re-invasion, it has become confusingly awesome. I know we're all used to Kubo not delivering on the undeniably better theories that have been suggested here, but I think we might be on to something this time. The ignored stars have actually been given their chance to shine lately and hopefully Yachiru is no exception.

The worst thing about this recent awesomeness is that we were all 100% right about Kubo being a lazy hack. Unless the recent greatness can be explained by him finding himself the assistant/editor we were all hoping for?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sharktamer posted:

I've dropped Bleach more times than I can even remember over the years, but since the Quincy re-invasion, it has become confusingly awesome. I know we're all used to Kubo not delivering on the undeniably better theories that have been suggested here, but I think we might be on to something this time. The ignored stars have actually been given their chance to shine lately and hopefully Yachiru is no exception.

The worst thing about this recent awesomeness is that we were all 100% right about Kubo being a lazy hack. Unless the recent greatness can be explained by him finding himself the assistant/editor we were all hoping for?

I wouldn't call Kubo a hack, dude has plenty of good ideas and he can really knock poo poo out of the park. He is just loving awful at organizing them and deciding which should be used immediately and which should be filed away for a different project.

I really liked Zombie Powder, for instance. Part of that was because it never finished or even got that far. Bleach was also awesome at first, the problem is that Kubo's weird ideas he gets from what seems like a combination of Wikipedia binges and drug use works for a while but compounds into an incoherent mess over time.

If you told me that Kubo was put in an asylum tomorrow I wouldn't even be surprised, but he's certainly got a lot of creativity to him.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 30, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think it would be pretty great if Kubo did a bunch of short series instead, but Toriyama seems to be the only person who gets away with that. Dude has a bunch of cool ideas, but long-term plotting is definitely one of his weak points.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think it would be pretty great if Kubo did a bunch of short series instead, but Toriyama seems to be the only person who gets away with that. Dude has a bunch of cool ideas, but long-term plotting is definitely one of his weak points.

I also think he'd rule at novels, or anything that has a longer development time really. Some people can outline a story in their head and make up the details week-to-week, but Kubo really struggles with it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

flowinprose posted:

Just imagine how Kenpachi feels in almost all of his fights. Now you can relate!
He needs to form a support group with Saitama.
Or alternately, just fight him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

He needs to form a support group with Saitama.
Or alternately, just fight him.

Who would win though?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Lamebot posted:

I do like the idea of Gremmy losing to the mere concept of Kenpachi.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kild posted:

Who would win though?
Seeing as Kenpachi has been beaten at least once (Yhwach) and Saitama has not even had a scratch on him throughout the entirety of the series...

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Much as I love Onepunch-Man, we all know Kenpachi and Zoro are the ultimate match-up.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I wouldn't call Kubo a hack, dude has plenty of good ideas and he can really knock poo poo out of the park. He is just loving awful at organizing them and deciding which should be used immediately and which should be filed away for a different project.

I really liked Zombie Powder, for instance. Part of that was because it never finished or even got that far. Bleach was also awesome at first, the problem is that Kubo's weird ideas he gets from what seems like a combination of Wikipedia binges and drug use works for a while but compounds into an incoherent mess over time.

If you told me that Kubo was put in an asylum tomorrow I wouldn't even be surprised, but he's certainly got a lot of creativity to him.

Hmm this is how I feel about bleach. I mean I've been following it since I was basically a kid so maybe I'm biased cuz it was one of my first ever mangas, but I've never thought it was void of interesting ideas, just that he has no idea how to structure them. The outfits are also really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Simoom posted:

Hmm this is how I feel about bleach. I mean I've been following it since I was basically a kid so maybe I'm biased cuz it was one of my first ever mangas, but I've never thought it was void of interesting ideas, just that he has no idea how to structure them. The outfits are also really cool.

He has mentioned that if he had any other job, he would.want to be a fashion designer. He really likes making outfits.

• Locked thread