Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is banter not lad culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

lol no it isn't. it's just average banter. I don't think you get lad culture.

Actually, I'm an expert on lad culture.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

There's no such thing as 'lad culture' :ssh:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jyrka posted:

Yeah, I am. Judging by the replies The Ramble is far from lad culture? Is it like chavs then? I thought lads were better than chavs? Can someone post the whole hierarchy of English men please?

I can't tell if you're serious or not :psyduck:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not :psyduck:

Of course I'm serious. It's a big world, mate, hard to know the specifics of every culture. Innit.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I'm not taking the piss or anything but I don't think you "get" the Ramble.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
If you want to hear lad culture you want to listen to TalkSport. Especially the people calling in.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

britishbornandbread posted:

I'm not taking the piss or anything but I don't think you "get" the Ramble.

It's 3-4 lads who are the same trying to do the Ricky Gervais laugh and then read a bit from wikipedia about a dead footballer and say "ooo he's brilliant, wonnit"?

Big world though, innit.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

sweek0 posted:

If you want to hear lad culture you want to listen to TalkSport. Especially the people calling in.

Don't confuse being a lad with being poor and stupid.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

jyrka posted:

It's 3-4 lads who are the same trying to do the Ricky Gervais laugh and then read a bit from wikipedia about a dead footballer and say "ooo he's brilliant, wonnit"?

Big world though, innit.

Yeah, they don't do the DWHOF anymore which wasn't particularly interesting. However I would argue only one of them rips
off Gervais/Partridge.

Again, you're welcome not to like it, but your grasp of lad culture/"chavs" is way off the mark.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I like both Football Weekly and the Ramble, although, truth be told, I prefer posh cunts over lads, chavs and nerds.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

jyrka posted:

Is the Ramble not lad culture?

When I first listened to it, I thought the Ramble was a bit "laddish", but it's really not like that at all. From the outside, it's a little like that, just like how if you just flicked onto an Adam Curtis documentary, you might think it was some Loose Change bullshit, but it really isn't.

Give it a go, although it may not translate outside of the British Isles as well as some of the others, idk.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Lads are just nerds who chose something socially acceptable to be obsessive about

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, someone hates Rushden as much as the rest of us, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWH4p0jeD8

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Guitar_Hero posted:

Well, someone hates Rushden as much as the rest of us, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWH4p0jeD8

I'm lolling at my desk.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
"Playing 5 a side in my Shaktar Donesk away kit." That's brilliant.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
A loving jazz clarinet!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I did a proper lol at Pete's Robbie Savage/Take That impression.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

peanut- posted:

I did a proper lol at Pete's Robbie Savage/Take That impression.

I was in the youth team!!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Did a double-take at Jimbo's opening pun on Manchester United's Munich disaster

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I want to harm Sean Ingle. How he gets pundit gigs is beyond me. Irritating voice, inability to say things without reverting to betting odds, and a total lack of relevant knowledge. The last pod contained the choice quotes "Bayerns problem is possession is too easy to defend against", and "Mandzukic is not really a top class striker".

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Spangly A posted:

I want to harm Sean Ingle. How he gets pundit gigs is beyond me. Irritating voice, inability to say things without reverting to betting odds, and a total lack of relevant knowledge. The last pod contained the choice quotes "Bayerns problem is possession is too easy to defend against", and "Mandzukic is not really a top class striker".

Yeah, he's awful. He just gets picked because he's got a good gig in the Guardian's website hierarchy. I think they just use him as filler.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Paul MacInnes and Barry Glendenning combined for some podcast mold today too. Terrible.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was redeemed by the "is one Giggs sufficient to upgrade their drive?" and Salah Ba jokes.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I've really come to dislike Glendenning. I have no idea what he offers the show.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

jyrka posted:

Big world though, innit.

What country are you from?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

britishbornandbread posted:

I've really come to dislike Glendenning. I have no idea what he offers the show.

For awhile he was the only one besides jimbo who had any personality on the show. In recent years he's seemed permanently hung over, and doesn't do anything but admit to never watching any games and occasionally chiming in with awful opinions.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jippa posted:

What country are you from?

From Latvia. Yourself? A/S/L?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

jyrka posted:

From Latvia. Yourself? A/S/L?

Ah I see now :)

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

read out on the Ramble again woooo

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Listening to Jacob Steinberg speak is like watching an Allardyce team play football

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
loving HELL. Awful Football Weekly. Sean Ingle and Barry are unsufferable. The former picking at James every second and being straight up wrong (he says the perception that there's been lots of twists is wrong, WIT?! Also about City being off top for so long because of their games in hand). Barry, the loving moron, suggesting genuinely that Poyet is his manager of the year, over loving Rodgers. Ugh. Glad this shite has gone.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Ingle is a loving idiot and genuinely has no understanding or appreciation of football. Smugly going "no my article will blow your points away" and then not having any points. Barry can at least do the contrarian stuff and back it with an argument, even if its stupid. Ingle is insufferable and I honestly still like FW and even loving Steinberg.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They keep saying the Liga game is on at 6 in the UK. loving hell.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Ingle is terrible and Jimbo was clearly gettit annoyed with him but why are you so pissed at Barry's choice? He gives a fair enough rationalization and he's right that Liverpool bottled it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I almost fist-pumped in the car when Jimbo said there would be a FW extra with Philippe and Michael Cox. And thankfully Jacob Steinberg is too shy to talk over them.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I am OK posted:

Ingle is terrible and Jimbo was clearly gettit annoyed with him but why are you so pissed at Barry's choice? He gives a fair enough rationalization and he's right that Liverpool bottled it.

Poyet done well over a handful of games, no doubt but Brendan did far better over 38.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
He was clearly joking when he said Poyet was the manager of the season.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Didn't give it away at all that he was joing. Sounded completely legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Glendenning is v. possibly a great fakepodder, or caster, or whatever.

Wait, no.

Where the gently caress's this week's Ramble.