Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ugh, I did find what you were talking about.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4393663716.html

gently caress, I wish I had extra cash lying around, I would be sending you out to check it out too. But with the autobox, I am worried if its hiding some kind of issues.

"The Check Engine light is on. The codes are for the left and right cam position sensors. They are a part of the VANOS system used on the M42 motor. They do not impact driveability and could be replaced, but it is not necessary."

I wonder what else is wrong/ too expensive for this owner to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

edit: gently caress

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I only paid $1k for mine, and that seemed to work out ok.

Sure it can happen but you definitely don't wanna be sitting on a 5 series luxury barge without a chunk of spare repair money laying around. I don't think it's an ideal budget car if your strapped to buy at even $2k.

Also that thing sounds like it's ready for a call to Dr. Vanos.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

concise posted:

"The Check Engine light is on. The codes are for the left and right cam position sensors. They are a part of the VANOS system used on the M42 motor. They do not impact driveability and could be replaced, but it is not necessary."

I wonder what else is wrong/ too expensive for this owner to fix.

VANOS is never really an issue on M62s., and its not an M42. Actually it sounds like timing chain stretch.

Popete posted:

Sure it can happen but you definitely don't wanna be sitting on a 5 series luxury barge without a chunk of spare repair money laying around. I don't think it's an ideal budget car if your strapped to buy at even $2k.

The E39 is no more complicated than a E46. If you get a chance to actually sit in one of this era, every thing is just the same as a E46.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 27, 2014

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Popete posted:

Nothing good can come from buying an MSRP $53k BMW for $2k unless you have a bunch more extra cash laying around to dump into.

new thread title.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
$2000 e30 wanters: report to the AI Marketplace.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popete posted:

Look at the front end in picture 11, that car is messed up. For $2k I'd say no way. There's a high likely hood that thing is a few potholes away from some expensive repairs. If you're in the market for a truly cheap car buy a Honda or Toyota. If you want a cheap e30 be prepared to either do some work or spend a little longer (read more money) looking for something better.

I mean I know this is a BMW thread and SA loves them some e30s (who doesn't?). But I think sometimes people forget no other 25+ year old car with front end damage and shady before/after accident pictures is asking $2k. E30's are awesome and they can last for a long time with good maintenance but don't get duped on a poorly maintained or beat on car just because they are coming back into style.

What could I reasonably expect out of an e30 for $2k? I'm not looking for something pristine, mostly something that runs and is fun and can turn into a project car in the near future after I buy a real car in the fall.

Nice, pristine e30's in the Houston area seem to be going for $5k and up at this point in time. I wonder if buying an e36 is a better option.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Do any of you know if the wiper linkage in an E46 coupe is serviceable in any way? The linkage in my car has decided that now is a good time to stop working properly. The wipers still work (so it likely isn't the relay) but very slowly, sometimes stopping six or eight inches into the wipe, in cold weather. If I park the car in heated parking they work more or less at their normal speed with what appears to be a bit of binding at that six-eight inch point.

It isn't the battery/alternator producing low voltage either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Popete posted:

Granted mine is relatively low mile, at around ~120k miles(that car linked is probably double), but the potential issues are well documented, cheap to fix if you do the work yourself, and can be done at your own pace before things go wrong as preventative maintenance.

I may be biased because i haven't had any failures outside of what is expected, but i would say the E39 is cheaper to own than a lot of enthusiast cars. I'll take weak valve cover gaskets over weak head gaskets, and 100k mile cooling system overhauls over 100k bottom end rebuilds.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnuckle z posted:

VANOS is never really an issue on M62s., and its not an M42. Actually it sounds like timing chain stretch.

M42's are also non-VANOS.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

They're out there. I've seen a few on max for decent prices, and a few in BC. Its just never been the right time for me. This summer I'll be hunting for a nice 318is, but I have a bit of sanity so I'm also looking at e36 325/328s and e46 330s. I just want something FUN again. MK4 2.0 is killing my sanity with the m3 in storage.

The holy grail winter car for me would be a 325/328 sedan with winter package. Factory LSD Yo.

Winter driving a Miata is fun and all, but going down to your most impractical car for winter driving is starting to get on my nerves a bit. And E36s seem to straddle the line between modern nice-ness and basic drivers-car mechanicals. I still like cable throttles.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
:sigh: if you're an e30 fan don't look at this abomination because its
:nms: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091095_modernize-your-e30-bmw-3-series-with-this-concept30-kit :nms:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

I kinda like it, it of reminds me of the 2002.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

It looks like the front end was taken off one of those newer camaro/charger muscle cars. The back end I don't even know, what the hell is that weird triangle thing sticking out?

It's awful.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's not the worst thing I've ever seen I just don't understand why anyone would buy it when a normal E30 looks so much better.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Looks like something that would have come out of the Eastern Bloc during the Cold War. I don't like it.

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso
Is the E46 addiction support group? E46's x2. I just picked up the 2005 330Ci ZHP in white to compliment my 2004 325Ci in Black. Both Manual transmissions and both are in excellent condition. It seems silly to have two E46s so I guess one has to go. Anyway, here is a preview, once it stops dirt raining here in the desert I will post some proper pictures of the ZHP.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

SeñorMisterioso posted:

2005 330Ci ZHP ... 2004 325Ci
... so I guess one has to go.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm which one

doogle
May 24, 2003

The suspension is done, they replaced pretty much the whole thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nissan called, they want their R33 back

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
I sold the 1998 328is for $5500 and picked up a 2009 135i sport for $19k. Love it. http://imgur.com/a/aRLi5 http://imgur.com/a/dg17A

This is a BMW thread...buy me an e30 for $2k

gigButt fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 28, 2014

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

gigButt posted:

I sold the 1998 328is for $5500 and picked up a 2009 135i sport for $19k. Love it. http://imgur.com/a/aRLi5 http://imgur.com/a/dg17A

This a BMW thread...buy me an e30 for $2k

Was that the original interior in the 328?

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah. I loved that car. Dove leather with every option but the 18 button obc. It was going to need some work soon. Twas a great 4 years and 60k miles though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

gigButt posted:

This is a BMW thread...buy me an e30 for $2k

Sweet jesus that thing was clean.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I would have been all over that if it was 6 months from now.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

I would have been all over that if it was 6 months from now.

I've considered flying to AZ for a car for only a grand more...

It was a e39 tiag/black touring on ACS type 2s. I regret it only a little less than selling my estoril on dove e36m3 cabrio.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Last night some girl crashed into me parked car, she ripped the front bumper off, it seems the bumper is fine but long story short one of the bumper support guides is missing (goes inside the bumper itself) any chance I could find the part by itself? Its an MTECH 2 bumper....

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Test drove a Z4 M Coupe today. Always encouraging when it won't start back up after you park it for a second. Poor salesman. :v:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I bought this a couple of days ago. Can I still change my own oil?

2008 M6 Conv

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ausgezeichnet posted:

I bought this a couple of days ago. Can I still change my own oil?

Yes, if you buy or have a 36mm socket. Wait, christ, that's the V10? You need to slice a unicorn's throat and let the rainbow blood drip slowly into the oil fill hole. Good luck.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 29, 2014

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Since this is the BMW thread I hope you all dont mind if I talk about the news from plant 10 (the one in SC that makes all the x cars except the x1). We had a big announcement today.

It leaked almost a week ago but it was announced today that we will be getting a billion dollar expansion again and be building the new x7. I'm pretty excited about it as it means even more work and job security. They want to up our production capacity from 300k cars a year to 450k. That pretty much gonna set us in the top two or three BMW plants by volume I believe.

I know the x series aren't real popular among you guys but I love them (they pay my bills and all) and just wanted to share.

Btw if anyone recently bought a new x3 or is getting an x4 there's a fair chance I worked on it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Actually it will become the largest plant for them:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/28/news/companies/bmw-plant/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Also, you're a little slow on the draw, it's been on all the major news outlets since this morning. ;)

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Haha well to be fair I was on that damned assembly line all day. Was kinda bummed they didn't let us watch the meeting. Normally they'd stop the line for something like this so we could watch.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Yes, if you buy or have a 36mm socket. Wait, christ, that's the V10? You need to slice a unicorn's throat and let the rainbow blood drip slowly into the oil fill hole. Good luck.

I successfully owned and wrenched on a 850Ci for three years. I have 36mm sockets in both 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Exactly how hosed am I? My concern is that there's no print resource for MX instructions, though I do have the TIS (for whatever that's worth).

Ima have to find 10W60 oil somewhere.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Eh, 850s are one of the few cars that make the M-tax look reasonable by comparison, you'll be fine.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So... the X7... a BMW suburban?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

voltron fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So... the X7... a BMW suburban?

A BMW BMW.

A lot of Mormons call their Suburbans "Big Mormon Wagons".

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
So I got this 98 M3 for $700

It was cheap because of it's possible bent frame and a blown headgasket. It shoots steam from the exhaust whenever it runs.

I had the frame checked and fixed at the local frame shop, apparently the upper strut mounts and made of playdoh and bend at the slightest provocation. That was $1000.

I'm pulling the head now to fix the head gasket and have the head checked.

Reading this Pelican article it looks like I need a bunch of special tools. http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-17-Head-Gasket/101-Projects-17-Head-Gasket.htm

Is there any tools I can do without? Anything else I need to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been driving older cars for a few years that are very cheap on maintenance and are known for living for an extremely long time (currently an 02 Accord with 150k) but after a few promotions and tripling my commute I've been bitten with the bug to upgrade to a nice luxury ride. I've always loved BMW and was in a coworkers '11 328xi and it really was impressive and got me thinking that it wouldn't be too costly to pick up that model year with 30-40k miles. The first question I have considerable ignorance around is the running maintenance cost on BMW. The stereotype is that its incredibly expensive to maintain and if that's true I'm going to have to probably not indulge this urge. What is the reality provided I am up with preventative maintenance? Are these money pits?

Appreciate any feedback that can be given. I'm in the first stages of this decision so don't know what I don't know.