Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just so everyone's clear, that game is by all accounts an awful game, by awful people, for awful people.

This game seems pretty much like hate mail for Kotaku, or anyone with a sense of decency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm nearing the end of Ishin and I gotta say, they could hardly have made the gun mechanics worse. I definitely prefer Dead Souls' gun mechanics to this. Hell, I prefer normal Yakuza games' gun mechanics to this. It unbalances almost every fight in one direction or another, either your gun is completely useless, or you can win the fight without being hit by staying away while mashing the fire button and over again.

The guys who made Binary Domain clearly understood what people want from guns in video games, what happened to them? Were they all let go as soon as the game was completed?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 23, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm nearing the end of Ishin and I gotta say, they could hardly have made the gun mechanics worse. I definitely prefer Dead Souls' gun mechanics to this. Hell, I prefer normal Yakuza games' gun mechanics to this. It unbalances almost every fight in one direction or another, either your gun is completely useless, or you can win the fight without being hit by staying away while mashing the fire button and over again.

The guys who made Binary Domain clearly understood what people want from guns in video games, what happened to them? Were they all let go as soon as the game was completed?

It's worse then Dead Souls? Yikes. :stare:

Speaking of Binary Domain, how does it hold up? I saw at the store today for around ten dollars, but decided to wait on it. It doesn't really grab me aside from the tenuous link to Dead Souls, but it kind of reminds me of Vanquish, and from the little I've heard about it, none of it has been real negative.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of Binary Domain, how does it hold up? I saw at the store today for around ten dollars, but decided to wait on it. It doesn't really grab me aside from the tenuous link to Dead Souls, but it kind of reminds me of Vanquish, and from the little I've heard about it, none of it has been real negative.

It's easily my favorite Gears of War type game, moreso than Gears of War. The guns feel awesome, great sound design and soundtrack. VERY good voice acting too which is fortunate since the script itself is pretty stilted. The coolest thing though is how all your enemies are robots, but they really take this to heart and every enemy has tons of bits of armor that get shredded off of them as you fight them. There's almost two model's worth of stuff on every enemy it's real fun to blow them to pieces.

It's still a Gears clone and has some of the lame things of that franchise but I feel like it does them better than any other 360/PS3 game.

I wish they made like an RPG or some other spinoff in the same setting, or even just a sequel with more team mates and more coop modes.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought the gun was useless but once you level it up it's pretty reasonable to use.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I thought the gun was useless but once you level it up it's pretty reasonable to use.
Right, like I said, it makes many fights trivial because you can stunlock the enemy into oblivion. That doesn't make it a good implementation of guns in a sword game.

edit: in one fight I did yesterday, the enemy had a gun too and I found out that if we moved a certain distance apart, he would switch to firing his gun, so I started firing back and it turned into us standing still firing the gun at each other as fast as we could to see whose life bar would empty first. I won, but it doesn't mean it wasn't idiotic as hell.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 23, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Reminds me of the Julia Kusugi boss fight in Killer 7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_OIOWuf7Q

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Right, like I said, it makes many fights trivial because you can stunlock the enemy into oblivion. That doesn't make it a good implementation of guns in a sword game.

edit: in one fight I did yesterday, the enemy had a gun too and I found out that if we moved a certain distance apart, he would switch to firing his gun, so I started firing back and it turned into us standing still firing the gun at each other as fast as we could to see whose life bar would empty first. I won, but it doesn't mean it wasn't idiotic as hell.

You can run up and grab people or do the spin shot that knocks people down.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

You can run up and grab people or do the spin shot that knocks people down.
It has its moments, yes, but in the end I much prefer the short sword and two swords modes from Kenzan to gun and gun/sword.

If only they just made it an extension of normal Yakuza gun combat, with high power but limited ammo (or at least limited before reloading), it would have been fine.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 23, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Max Wilco posted:

It's worse then Dead Souls? Yikes. :stare:

It's a great $10 game. It's nothing at all like Vanquish in style or quality, but it's worth playing at that price.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

It has its moments, yes, but in the end I much prefer the short sword and two swords modes from Kenzan to gun and gun/sword.

If only they just made it an extension of normal Yakuza gun combat, with high power but limited ammo (or at least limited before reloading), it would have been fine.

Maybe, but I think making it more powerful would have ended up with it just totally overpowering everything else. Although to be fair plain sword is way better than any other style in this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maybe, but I think making it more powerful would have ended up with it just totally overpowering everything else. Although to be fair plain sword is way better than any other style in this game.
But like I said, if you make it so you need to reload, that would fix it, since enemies would get into close range while you were doing it. Besides, I'm not saying guns are too weak! Are you even reading what I am writing?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Going back to Yakuza 1 after playing 3 and 4 is really weird. Not only is the gameplay different but even hearing english dialog is throwing me a bit. Who are you people? Why can I understand everything you're saying? Why do I keep missing the people I want to punch?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Also all those gosh darned F-bombs.

A great many years ago I made a thread entitled "Yakuza 2: gently caress"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I finally caved and imported Kenzan. I cant wait to fumble my way through this!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I bought Ishin for the ps4 while holidaying in Japan since I figured I'd import it eventually anyways.

Now it just sits on my desk alongside Yakuza 5 serving as a monument to my disappointment in Sega.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

I finally caved and imported Kenzan. I cant wait to fumble my way through this!
For me, Kenzan is still better than Ishin in most ways. Like I said, the gun system sucks compared to the second sword in Kenzan, I like the environment in Kenzan better (I was sad to see that the Gion in Ishin is this dinky little place, dunno if that is historically accurate or not), and the crafting system in Ishin has some bullshit that Kenzan's doesn't.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
MY PS3 died a horrible, horrible death the moment I placed Dark SOuls 2 in it. I'm absolutely gutted.

THis means I cannot finish Ishin, which upsets me greatly. I was wandering around like a bad rear end unarmed Samurai. Screw your swords and guns. I got fists of fury.

Y'all need to import Kenzan and Ishin. Boss games. Just don't waste your time and import Sanshou, terrible.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Zaii posted:

MY PS3 died a horrible, horrible death the moment I placed Dark SOuls 2 in it. I'm absolutely gutted.
'sup, dead PS3 buddy. :(:hf::smith: I'm having my dead one repaired just so I can pull some old stuff off of the HD, but given the (nonexistent) state of PS3 compatibility on PS4, I think I'm going to have to shell out and buy a new PS3.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
After seeing the kind of clumsy romance stuff in Isin I think I understand why they don't usually have romances in these games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Zaii posted:

Y'all need to import Kenzan and Ishin. Boss games. Just don't waste your time and import Sanshou, terrible.

I have given serious thought to importing Yakuza 5, because it seems like the chances of the game getting a localization are dwindling. The only thing that stops me from importing Y5, Kenzan, or Ishin is the language barrier. I don't know any Japanese, and my assumption is that you'd have to be very fluent in the language in order to follow the story, or pursue any of the side content.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Zaii posted:

THis means I cannot finish Ishin, which upsets me greatly. I was wandering around like a bad rear end unarmed Samurai. Screw your swords and guns. I got fists of fury.

What is Sansyo supposed to be?

Max Wilco posted:

I have given serious thought to importing Yakuza 5, because it seems like the chances of the game getting a localization are dwindling. The only thing that stops me from importing Y5, Kenzan, or Ishin is the language barrier. I don't know any Japanese, and my assumption is that you'd have to be very fluent in the language in order to follow the story, or pursue any of the side content.
Yeah, it's probably pretty boring unless you want a run to pink dots and fight people simulator.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

What is Sansyo supposed to be?

I think he meant to type Shinsho, which means he'd be talking about Kurohyo: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinsho, Black Panther, which was the first PSP Spinoff. To my knowledge, nobody's really said much about the two Black Panther games aside from that fact that they exist.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Volfogg posted:

I think he meant to type Shinsho, which means he'd be talking about Kurohyo: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinsho, Black Panther, which was the first PSP Spinoff. To my knowledge, nobody's really said much about the two Black Panther games aside from that fact that they exist.

I played them both. I liked them well enough... they had a weird toning down of stuff, like no booze and the big payoff with the club girls was getting a kiss, I guess because it's portable and the protagonist is underage. But still, fun games. Translates surprisingly well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I played them both. I liked them well enough... they had a weird toning down of stuff, like no booze and the big payoff with the club girls was getting a kiss, I guess because it's portable and the protagonist is underage. But still, fun games. Translates surprisingly well.

I read the first one is mostly focused on just the battle arena stuff, do you get to actually explore the city at all in either of them?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I read the first one is mostly focused on just the battle arena stuff, do you get to actually explore the city at all in either of them?

Yes. I don't know who told you that, it's totally wrong (except there is an area in the north of the city where you can do a bunch of one-on-one challenges and earn money). It's just a regular Yakuza game that's slightly adapted to the PSP with a younger protagonist.

edit: Well, I think I know why they told you that... the story involves Tatuya having to engage in and win 10 fights at the underground fighting arena of Sai no Hanaya and so all the boss battles are there. You still go all over Kamurotyo though.

I finished Ishin. I was a little bit under 50% but I started getting to the point where doing more stuff was getting tedious because it was all like "harvest 100 cabbages! catch 100 fish! raid 40 more caves!" so I just finished the story. There's no boss in the game, by the way, who can't be beaten fairly easily with the move where you parry and slice through them (hold R1, press △ right before the attack hits you)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 30, 2014

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Yeah, it's probably pretty boring unless you want a run to pink dots and fight people simulator.

Manly men fighting is a universal language. For ~$30 I'd run through it. I know there was an LP of KENZAN here but I'm not sure if it was ever finished.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Volfogg posted:

I played through it ss well. And if Tatyuya is a thug for Kuki why they dont make him do thug side jobs instead of working a legit day job?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They also wouldn't let him drink in the game, but he can still go to hostess bars, and smokes like crazy. Japan's always weird like that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im about to play through Yakuza 4 finally. Should I play it on Easy? I remember a lot of the boss fights in Yakuza 2 and 3 to be kind of slogs due to the way the AI would block and the HEAT mechanics.

Anything else I should know going in?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Yakuza 4 was my first Yakuza game and I thought it was a touch easy on easy, but I don't remember how difficult it is compared to 3.

Don't bother getting all the coin locker keys off the bat, they're not shared between characters until the last couple chapters. I don't know how much is missable but that's what new game + is for. I don't think that anything on the third character's story is missable and I'd reccomend powering through the story because having to sneak around town all the time suuuucks

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Captain Novolin posted:

Yakuza 4 was my first Yakuza game and I thought it was a touch easy on easy, but I don't remember how difficult it is compared to 3.

Don't bother getting all the coin locker keys off the bat, they're not shared between characters until the last couple chapters. I don't know how much is missable but that's what new game + is for. I don't think that anything on the third character's story is missable and I'd reccomend powering through the story because having to sneak around town all the time suuuucks

I found out that apparently it is easier than Yakuza 3 was. 2 and 3 had some BS with the boss battles. The frequent blocking and the huge health bars were quite annoying. But I went with normal.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

They also wouldn't let him drink in the game, but he can still go to hostess bars, and smokes like crazy. Japan's always weird like that.

But like I said, instead of having sex with the girls, they just give him a smooch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

But like I said, instead of having sex with the girls, they just give him a smooch.
What exactly are you trying to say? I'm sure that Kiryu's endgame for hostesses is always entirely platonic as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This thread it's, it's giving me a revelation!

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26867368

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, there's a warning screen about smoking when you start up the game, since smoking is worse than beating the living poo poo out of people.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yakuza 3 was like 4.99 so I bought it and it is a wierd game. I think I stopped playing the story hours ago, and am addicted to the dice game and their version of backarat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

thark posted:

Also, there's a warning screen about smoking when you start up the game, since smoking is worse than beating the living poo poo out of people.
Well, in his defense, everyone he beat up was really asking for it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Holy poo poo the back half of yakuza 1 is loving TERRIBLE. It's just every poor gameplay decision wrapped up into one. The car chase was borderline unplayable and the bossfight with Arase was the absolute worst since one mistake and you get shot 18 times, and since your combos don't actually correct towards an enemy if you miss you just keep whiffing until you get knocked down with bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
It's crushing decision time. Do I import Ishin and Y5 for PS3 or PS4?

I don't own a PS4 but planned on getting one but there's really no need to HAVE TO GO AND GET ONE NOOOW, there's nothing aside from Ishin and I figured the Yakuza imports aren't worth buying the console for.

Goons, what do I do? :confused:

• Locked thread