Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm the only person on the internet who saw that moment in the preview and thought, "Aw yessss, get it, girl!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rabbit Hill posted:

I think I'm the only person on the internet who saw that moment in the preview and thought, "Aw yessss, get it, girl!"

It would be nice if Alana just showed up one day with a long-time boyfriend and said,"What? Oh this is Murray, yeah you've never met him because I'm a healthy adult with a wider social circle than just people I work with on a daily basis. Also you're all kind of creepy and I didn't want to weird him out."

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I feel like we should do weekly threads. There were 250 posts within a few hours of the new episode airing, before I even got to watch it around 2am that night. Besides, it might sway those who are still (inexplicably) on the fence about this show to check it out.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

escape artist posted:

I feel like we should do weekly threads. There were 250 posts within a few hours of the new episode airing, before I even got to watch it around 2am that night. Besides, it might sway those who are still (inexplicably) on the fence about this show to check it out.

Hell yeah, I'm up for this!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

hurr durr durr i'm gonna creep up on you

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It would be nice if Alana just showed up one day with a long-time boyfriend and said,"What? Oh this is Murray, yeah you've never met him because I'm a healthy adult with a wider social circle than just people I work with on a daily basis. Also you're all kind of creepy and I didn't want to weird him out."

Why would be dating an elderly Jew?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why would be dating an elderly Jew?

Why not date an elderly Jew? :colbert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

^burtle posted:

Preview Talk: I really hope the Alannibal scene is a misdirect from Will's imagination.
Kinda wish we had Mad Men levels of "next week's preview" for Hannibal. It would be hilarious (even more confusing)

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:
There's more of that preview moment in the AXN version and it looks real enough. Everyone also forgets that when Hannibal asked in the kitchen scene why they didn't have that affair, the first thing she said was that he was already having one at the time, so I never bought the asexual interpretation. There was the drinking scene in his office, too. She never looks at Will like that.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Haha, not true at all. But anyway, they have the best behind the scenes photos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alana! No blackface!

For the opening breakfast, are we sure that there was Beverly on the plate? Looked like oysters, crawfish and eggs? Also, in the big ole crawfish centerpiece, were there beetles on the plate?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zoux posted:

Alana! No blackface!

For the opening breakfast, are we sure that there was Beverly on the plate? Looked like oysters, crawfish and eggs? Also, in the big ole crawfish centerpiece, were there beetles on the plate?

You could always tweet Bryan Fuller. He'll respond pretty quickly.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

zoux posted:

are we sure

http://janicepoonart.blogspot.com/

quote:

We are more than a bit concerned with the Benihana egg trick called for in the script. I’ve tried it and can only get it 1 out of 4 tries, and I’ve seen Benihana chefs flub the manoeuver when they have an entire grill as target. Mads has to crack his eggs into a 8-inch diameter skillet. The props Master calls his guy. The Production Manager calls in his guy. I call my guy. On the morning of the shoot we have 8 dozen eggs and 3 Japanese chefs with their hands made up to be hand doubles.
:haw:

quote:

I feel something that can only be described as grief. I understand that I will miss seeing the funny talented Hettienne Park in the studio but I am surprised that I feel real sadness about this fictional character. I loved her directness – she always solved the crime simply with her clear unwavering logic. While the guys in the room were running around hallucinating, waffling and pouting, she always came up with the goods. I see Hettienne (with baby bump!) in the make-up trailer and tell her I want her to come back in a dream sequence. We can but hope.
Awwww

wait a second, not meant to resemble the mask?

quote:

On set, Mads asked me if the pastry was to represent his mask – absolutely not! No one wants to keep him out of prison more than me! Unless he can get a cell with an eat-in galley kitchen.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 30, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just took a look, there were a couple of things that I guess could've been Katz. Looked like some sort of fried ham and then something that looked like a chicken wing? I don't think that it was though, I think the only thing he took from her was her kidneys and we saw that get turned into sausage later.

Also, most def rhinocerous beetles on the centerpiece!

Haha first try on the egg! Also, yeah apparently Bev was in the pie that he ate by himself later.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Paradox Personified posted:

I think it's just odd wording. It's not meant to represent Hannibal's mask, but rather Will's. No way it wasn't intentionally a bite-mask design, the shape is dead on and there would be absolutely no reason to make the pastry like that otherwise.

edit: Or she's being facetious.
edit 2: Should have just read it instead of speculating.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 30, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah, the word "his" is emphasized.

Italics, people! Get with it!

It must be pretty rare for a show to get two AVC A's in a row, huh?

Upon inspection it looks like Breaking Bad did it a lot.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 30, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know why anyone would think that Hannibal is meant in any way to be asexual. In the books, it's clearly shown that he loves Clarice romantically, and they end up eloping together to live happily ever after (no, really). Hannibal is not an emotionless robot of cold logic, some sort of Dexter who's much better at faking social niceties.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Jesus, Mads did that egg crack in one take? Man-crush completed.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Heh yeah he thanks that to the fact he used to be a juggler, holy hell. And a longhaired dancer, too. This guy has shot to the top of my If I Wake Up Straight One Day list.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat, if he actually got that egg trick, they did him a disservice by cutting to the close-up hand shot. I just assumed it was an editing trick because of that shot.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Paradox Personified posted:

I think he's just being facetious.

e: whoops. thread moving too fast for me.

Can someone get a shot of the beetles on the plate? I don't remember that. I was too busy pondering a delectable crawfish and scrambled eggs breakfast.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 30, 2014

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:)

Haha also I have to note, it's a Cajun wives' tale that you do not eat the ones with the straight tails. Something about how they died before the boil got started basically, supposed to be bad for you and most people here will snatch one away from someone who's about to tear into one (especially if they don't know about it) just to save them from it.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 30, 2014

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I really hope that's intentional then, that's such a neat detail.

I love Janice Poon's blog, definitely going to take a shot at that Hangtown Fry recipe this week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Normally people looking for tiny symbolic details and way overthinking stuff irritates me but in the case of this show I feel like there really is that level of depth and detail.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jscolon2.0 posted:

That was what she was in the middle of doing, when she got caught. Took some organ meat out of the fridge, some blood dripped into the basement, went into the basement and then :chef:

I think she actually knocked over some wine. The meat samples were vacuum sealed in little plastic baggies.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think she actually knocked over some wine. The meat samples were vacuum sealed in little plastic baggies.

I thought the liquid was more viscous than wine, though.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Janice Poon posted:

http://janicepoonart.blogspot.com/
I feel something that can only be described as grief. I understand that I will miss seeing the funny talented Hettienne Park in the studio but I am surprised that I feel real sadness about this fictional character. I loved her directness – she always solved the crime simply with her clear unwavering logic. While the guys in the room were running around hallucinating, waffling and pouting, she always came up with the goods.
:smith:

quote:

I see Hettienne (with baby bump!) in the make-up trailer and tell her I want her to come back in a dream sequence. We can but hope.
:unsmith: Hettienne rules and should get all the jobs and have an awesome family and succeed at everything.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

:aaaaa:

Let us all bask in the glory of that maneuver again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

zoux posted:

I just took a look, there were a couple of things that I guess could've been Katz. Looked like some sort of fried ham and then something that looked like a chicken wing? I don't think that it was though, I think the only thing he took from her was her kidneys and we saw that get turned into sausage later.

They intercut Hannibal's preparation of his own meal with the preparation of Will's prison meal. Will gets served eggs, fried... something and also some strips of what's probably Canadian-style bacon. It was probably done to make the audience think that Hannibal is preparing thin slices he cut off of Beverly, but then we see the slices put onto a plastic dinner tray and get taken to Will.

Plus the slices of bacon appear to be horizontal slices and not vertical ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The forensics guys said that the only missing part from Beverly was her kidney, no?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

They intercut Hannibal's preparation of his own meal with the preparation of Will's prison meal. Will gets served eggs, fried... something and also some strips of what's probably Canadian-style bacon. It was probably done to make the audience think that Hannibal is preparing thin slices he cut off of Beverly, but then we see the slices put onto a plastic dinner tray and get taken to Will.

Plus the slices of bacon appear to be horizontal slices and not vertical ones.

Counterpoint: When have we ever seen Hannibal cook up anything other than human meat? Why would they start with thinly sliced meat after he's sliced Katz in small pieces but it be actual animal meat? Even the title alludes to him feeding Jack some pieces of Beverly, as Mukozuke is a dish of thinly sliced sashimi (raw meat). Those thin slices complimented the way he killed Beverly to a T, and later on while eating her kidneys he ate them in a covering shaped like Will's mask.

There is no way that this was not Beverly on that plate.

Steve Yun posted:

The forensics guys said that the only missing part from Beverly was her kidney, no?

Only one half was exposed. It would have been easy to shave off some trimmings (and he wouldn't really have a choice those saws don't cut 100% right)

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 30, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As far as I could tell, her entire body is there. One half of her body is in one giant piece, and has clothes on. The other half is split into five slices and has the clothes removed

edit:____________________________________ ^pooper

Buuuuut who really knows. Part of the fun of this show is that you're never 100% sure about anything, I think.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 30, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess he just had those giant panes of glass ready to go for whenever.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
In the finale of last season, Hannibal and Du Maurier were also eating Abigail's head but they didn't make a fuss about it. We've never seen Hannibal cooking anything but human meat and the idea that the first time we're seeing him cooking up actual animal meat in the same fashion he just exposed one of his murder victims doesn't make any thematic sense whatsoever.

He also just loves the theatrics: two shrinks eating someone's head and then feeding pieces of Beverly to Jack while talking about friendship and him not being allowed to let someone die because of the oath he has taken, etc...

zoux posted:

To be fair I wouldn't put it past Hannibal to have some of those giant panes ready for some murder in the future he planned on exhibiting like that and just decided that Katz was a right fit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

That is kinda weird, you'd think they could find some record of a guy buying giant panes of glass

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Finally caught up with the latest episode and welp I guess my sexuality is now Mads' calf muscles :swoon:

A description of what happens to Bev got spoiled for me but after the reveal on the show I realised I was standing up in the middle of the room with my hand over my mouth in a state of NOPE. I was also in the middle of eating a pizza and it kind of put me off, thanks a lot Dr Lecter!!!

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Steve Yun posted:

That is kinda weird, you'd think they could find some record of a guy buying giant panes of glass

I really wouldn't put it past Hannibal to have learned how glass smithery or whatever it's called. It's not like it's rocket science and he seems like the kind of person who would do both for the challenge and because he wouldn't be satisfied with the commercial stuff. I mean he did have a pretty in-depth conversation with Tobias about violin strings so glass making doesn't seem out of his range.

Also, you know, harder to trace back to him.

Gloomiebat posted:

I was also in the middle of eating a pizza and it kind of put me off

and people earlier were arguing he wasn't a total sadist

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Steve Yun posted:

Well, if he already had him before killing Beverly, he could have bought them over time as to not raise suspicion.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Gloomiebat posted:

A description of what happens to Bev got spoiled for me but after the reveal on the show I realised I was standing up in the middle of the room with my hand over my mouth in a state of NOPE. I was also in the middle of eating a pizza and it kind of put me off, thanks a lot Dr Lecter!!!

I got spoiled on Beverly's untimely demise as well by reading Bryan Fuller's episode walkthrough, but when I actually saw what he meant by 'disassembled' I was sort of relieved. I honestly believed it was going to be much much more gruesome than what we saw. It was still weird and horrifying, but in a different way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I really enjoy this show, and I think it is the only show on air with a chance to end up on the "breaking bad/the wire" level for me.

But one thing I really wish is that they don't wait until the finale for that first scene of the season to happen. First because I think it helps keep the series interesting if major things happen in non-finale episodes. Second because I think another 7 episodes of Hannibal being able to misdirect people would be something that would be really hard to sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

edit:____________________________________ ^pooper

Hahahahah oh god. I don't want to be that person that begs for thread title changes all the time, but please? This one? Please? Can we?
Mom, dad? Please?

Can we have this?

• Locked thread