Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This news coverage is getting embarrassing. I have to wonder how much more ocean trash they'll find before giving up.

CNN might as well be going around with camera crews looking in dumpsters because they're bound to find something more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You would think the number 1 channel for airport terminal TV would start taking a ratings hit by constantly talking about this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

McDowell posted:

You would think the number 1 channel for airport terminal TV would start taking a ratings hit by constantly talking about this.

its pretty important all airport tv viewers know that if they are smashed into chunks at sea, their aircraft can be recovered in pieces, or as their bloated corpses wash up on shore in a few months.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
There are times when you've got to call a spade a spade. The plane is gone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For page 75

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its gone, guys.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

myshl0ng posted:

There are times when you've got to call a spade a spade. The plane is gone.

I don't think we've given it enough time, the plane might still be out there.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why does the battery power of the black box matter, i would think the danger was ocean pressure or longer term erosion

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
The battery powers the pinger, which is how searchers find the black box.

Once that runs out, good loving luck finding it.

Really, good loving like finding it even with the pinger due to the limited range because of water interference.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Now look here. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I've just been informed that this plane had lifeboats on it (which may be but probably aren't the orange things they're spotting now).

What in the eternal poo poo is a got-drat jumbo jet going to do with a Christing lifeboat when it's hitting the water at 500 befuckled mph.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

i too have nebver been on a plane why boat on plane?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

mdemone posted:

What in the eternal poo poo is a got-drat jumbo jet going to do with a Christing lifeboat when it's hitting the water at 500 befuckled mph.

Google "plane lands in hudson river"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Google "plane lands in hudson river"

Gonna go ahead and guess that right after take-off Sully's short-range Airbus was probably not hitting a 777's cruising speed

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

You're right the 777's cruising speed is mach 0.83 while Sully's craft only manages a paltry mach 0.78.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mdemone posted:

Now look here. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I've just been informed that this plane had lifeboats on it (which may be but probably aren't the orange things they're spotting now).

Nothing, most of the time. But the 1 in 1000 crash where passengers do somehow survive and wind up in the water, there better be life rafts and flotation device seat cushions. Otherwise people will be mad, "You couldn't even spring for a rubber raft? You suck!" Nobody is going to be sympathetic that it is basically wasting money for the airline to fly around rafts that can never be used.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

Nothing, most of the time. But the 1 in 1000 crash where passengers do somehow survive and wind up in the water, there better be life rafts and flotation device seat cushions. Otherwise people will be mad, "You couldn't even spring for a rubber raft? You suck!" Nobody is going to be sympathetic that it is basically wasting money for the airline to fly around rafts that can never be used.

But when asked about modernizing the black box technology they're just like, "Nah."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

verymoldy posted:

You're right the 777's cruising speed is mach 0.83 while Sully's craft only manages a paltry mach 0.78.

Read his account of the landing. The plane never broke 250 knots during flight and he managed to glide it down to a significantly slower speed.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Is it still in t he air has anyone looked

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mdemone posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess that right after take-off Sully's short-range Airbus was probably not hitting a 777's cruising speed

I'm guessing the point is that not every plane that has to make an emergency descent over water will be hitting at 500 mph, and you carry lifeboats for the set of ditchings where it is not

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

mdemone posted:

Because all pilots try and land their planes at cruising speed especially when doing so on water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALM_Flight_980

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
a black box stops working after a month and is usually late on rent

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

mdemone posted:

Read his account of the landing. The plane never broke 250 knots during flight and he managed to glide it down to a significantly slower speed.

And also 777s are immune to having issues at takeoff that result in them losing power before hitting cruising speed?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cartoon posted:

Because all pilots try and land their planes at cruising speed especially when doing so on water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALM_Flight_980

These guys flew thousands of miles into the middle of nowhere so they could try a safe water landing?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, even if they crash right near takeoff and you'll only be in the water for an hour, an hour in a lifeboat is more pleasant than an hour in the water.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Why not make the battery run on nuclear power like the submarines, corruption?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Has anyone checked to see if the plane is camouflaged as a cloud in the sky? Maybe that's how it alluded the radars. It could be heading for the world trade center building right now!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
have they tried turning the plane off and back on again?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

amityville anus posted:

have they tried turning the plane off and back on again?

We'll send a refresh signal to your plane right now, this should only take 3-7 minutes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Don't planes have OnStar technology?

Or LoJack?

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

redshirt posted:

Don't planes have OnStar technology?

Or LoJack?

they could but the airlines say it's too expensive so nope

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Al Borland posted:

Has anyone checked to see if the plane is camouflaged as a cloud in the sky? Maybe that's how it alluded the radars. It could be heading for the world trade center building right now!

Don't be stupid.
The latest theory is that the fire extinguishers were full of helium and the Illuminati operatives onboard let them all off, making the plane lighter.
This means it can then go higher in orbit, and is now docked at a low orbiting space station. This is the the best way to hide it until they get the nukes onboard, everyone is looking at the sea, when they should be looking at the stars!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

happyhippy posted:

The latest theory is that the fire extinguishers were full of helium and the Illuminati operatives onboard let them all off, making the plane lighter.
This means it can then go higher in orbit, and is now docked at a low orbiting space station. This is the the best way to hide it until they get the nukes onboard, everyone is looking at the sea, when they should be looking at the stars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v9kK3wtNy4

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Breaking news: nothing new to report just yet we will update you with nothing happening as it doesn't happen

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Zogo posted:

CNN might as well be going around with camera crews looking in dumpsters because they're bound to find something more interesting.

/\ I would watch this /\

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
The greys have them. Everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

The escape slides are the lifeboats. They are inflated to use so in a water landing you're supposed to detach them from the plane after crashing.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Ivor Biggun posted:

The escape slides are the lifeboats. They are inflated to use so in a water landing you're supposed to detach them from the plane after crashing.

Is there a single documented case of a large commercial airliner being able to land in open ocean water? Don't think that's physically possible. Hudson/rivers/lakes don't count.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Russian posted:

Is there a single documented case of a large commercial airliner being able to land in open ocean water? Don't think that's physically possible. Hudson/rivers/lakes don't count.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
This is the definitive open water ditching. The Ethiopian Air flight was being messed with by hijackers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALM_Flight_980

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
You can stall the airfoils when very low and hit going about 50 mebbe 80 knots.

• Locked thread