Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Run, do not walk, away from that property. Unless you really want to tear that whole kitchen down (along with anything else the previous owner has JAFHO'd together) to find all the mistakes they've made, because they clearly have no loving idea what they are doing.

If that's what you're after, then beat the seller up badly on price using this and make out like a bandit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

dinozaur posted:

I've been trying to find a house to buy recently, but its tough finding one that is not completely insane. Recently viewed a house where the kitchen sink drain goes directly outside the house and the PVC drain line runs(albeit properly sloped) on the outside of the vinyl siding until it goes into the basement wall and into the sewer drain. This is in Virginia, where we recently saw weeks of temperatures not over freezing.

Did a little research and figured out that the kitchen used to be a screen porch and was converted without a permit.
You can see the drain on the left side of the house.

That is awesome. Doesn't it get, y'know, below freezing in VA pretty much every winter? Do they just trickle hot water through the pipe at all times to make sure there's some melt?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

verymoldy posted:

That is awesome. Doesn't it get, y'know, below freezing in VA pretty much every winter? Do they just trickle hot water through the pipe at all times to make sure there's some melt?

It sure does, although some years only for a couple dozen mostly-unconnected days.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
It gets pretty drat cold in this part of Virginia. The coldest temperature this winter was about 0, and the first day below freezing was sometime in October. I can only imagine not being able to use the kitchen sink from October until late April.

My other research in the house shows that it was purchased as a foreclosure in 2009 for dirt cheap. The property had significant water damage and mold. The purchasers never lived in the house, and as far as I can tell only threw in Ikea kitchen cabinets, a lovely DIY flagstone patio, painted every room with flat paint, and replaced the sewer line. I'm not sure they even fixed the moisture/mold problem since the exposed concrete on the outside of the basement had a parge coat put on recently that was already crumbling off. There was also a dehumidifier running constantly with water steady trickling out of the outlet, despite the fact that we hadn't had rain. Of course with their "extensive" renovations they felt justified raising the price by $240,000 over what they purchased it for.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

dinozaur posted:

It gets pretty drat cold in this part of Virginia. The coldest temperature this winter was about 0, and the first day below freezing was sometime in October. I can only imagine not being able to use the kitchen sink from October until late April.

My other research in the house shows that it was purchased as a foreclosure in 2009 for dirt cheap. The property had significant water damage and mold. The purchasers never lived in the house, and as far as I can tell only threw in Ikea kitchen cabinets, a lovely DIY flagstone patio, painted every room with flat paint, and replaced the sewer line. I'm not sure they even fixed the moisture/mold problem since the exposed concrete on the outside of the basement had a parge coat put on recently that was already crumbling off. There was also a dehumidifier running constantly with water steady trickling out of the outlet, despite the fact that we hadn't had rain.

In the immortal words of Grover call in the backhoe and slap an addition on that bad boy and triple your investment.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

dinozaur posted:

My other research in the house shows that it was purchased as a foreclosure in 2009 for dirt cheap. The property had significant water damage and mold. The purchasers never lived in the house, and as far as I can tell only threw in Ikea kitchen cabinets, a lovely DIY flagstone patio, painted every room with flat paint, and replaced the sewer line. I'm not sure they even fixed the moisture/mold problem since the exposed concrete on the outside of the basement had a parge coat put on recently that was already crumbling off. There was also a dehumidifier running constantly with water steady trickling out of the outlet, despite the fact that we hadn't had rain. Of course with their "extensive" renovations they felt justified raising the price by $240,000 over what they purchased it for.

I have a bridge to sell you if you buy that house. Seriously, do not purchase that property.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

kastein posted:

I have a bridge to sell you if you buy that house. Seriously, do not purchase that property.

Kastein was it you who went to do some minor renovations to your enclosed porch with the bathroom over it and then it blossomed into a teardown to the studs (and worse, if I remember)? How did that/is that going, if that was you?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

My favorite part of that lovely house are the stairs leading up to the lean-too kitchen wall.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kastein posted:

As long as you run some hot water down the pipes first to warm them up, you'll be fine. Just capture the water in a pitcher or bowl until the kitchen sink's hot water warms up, then run the hot water for a minute or two, and then dump the water you reserved at first down the pipes.

No freezing!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

MisterOblivious posted:

http://imgur.com/a/jnlOR

Previews:

"Then I modify the structure of the roof, the yellow beams are new, the old beams are more brownish. "

What the hell is being accomplished with that ladder into nowhere nonsense? Is he trying to avoid having a set of stairs you pull down from the ceiling?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

So '90s though.

I'm all about using the space between studs on interior walls -- my parents' house has little magazine pockets in the bathroom walls next to the toilets, which is loving genius. But last I checked, a wall is like five inches thick. Where the gently caress are those drawers going?

You could make a double-sided drawer and share it with one of the bedrooms on the other side of the wall so they can both store things in it at once :aaaaa:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Watch your head.
Watch your everything, holy poo poo. Don't run down the steps too fast, kids.

I don't know anything about masonry roof, is not having any sheeting under those shingles a normal thing? How do you not end up with an attic full of bees and poo poo?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You think bees would really do that? Just come into someone's attic? :monocle:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

You think bees would really do that? Just come into someone's attic? :monocle:
It never happens. As proof, let me show you the approximately five thousand mud dauber tubes around my east attic window

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Its okay, apparently the kids just grab the sides of the ladder and slide down. :v:

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Isn't it kind of a bad thing that, in your attic, you can look through your roof shingles/tiles and see daylight? I mean gently caress bees what happens when it rains with some wind and suddenly water? Is that stuff underneath magical water evaporating material? I feel like there should be some tar paper somewhere around those tiles.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Tiles are angled that way and designed to not allow water into the gap. I think there is also something about allowing airflow, etc but I don't havent looked at the Australian or ISO standards in a long while.

There is a reason for it and it's not the biggest deal in the world, unless maybe if you're in the snow line but I wouldn't know poo poo about that.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Plotterboy posted:

Tiles are angled that way and designed to not allow water into the gap. I think there is also something about allowing airflow, etc but I don't havent looked at the Australian or ISO standards in a long while.

There is a reason for it and it's not the biggest deal in the world, unless maybe if you're in the snow line but I wouldn't know poo poo about that.

How can you see light but water can't get in? Wouldn't it take a prevailing breeze while it's raining to drive water into those gaps? What about snow and feezing water and all that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some people live in places where it's generally hot, mild, rarely rains that hard, and never has high winds with driven rain, or even a hint of snow. In those places, ventilation is way more important than waterproofing.

People have been laying roofing tiles in such a way that the water runs off but the air can still get in, for literally thousands of years.

e. Now, I have no idea if those particular tiles are done correctly. But being able to see light when looking down along the slope of the roof isn't necessarily bad.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Some people live in places where it's generally hot, mild, rarely rains that hard, and never has high winds with driven rain, or even a hint of snow. In those places, ventilation is way more important than waterproofing.

People have been laying roofing tiles in such a way that the water runs off but the air can still get in, for literally thousands of years.

e. Now, I have no idea if those particular tiles are done correctly. But being able to see light when looking down along the slope of the roof isn't necessarily bad.

Ahhhh gotcha. Forgive my naivete.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My parents' house has the original 1950s barrel tile roof, but because we live in the ten ring of hurricane alley, the tiles are all individually laid into cement, and then grouted. And then the whole thing has a plastic coating. (That part is new.) I'm pretty sure if a storm took their roof, it would come off as one piece, and they'd find it literally impaled in another house like a giant axe.

:black101:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

verymoldy posted:

Kastein was it you who went to do some minor renovations to your enclosed porch with the bathroom over it and then it blossomed into a teardown to the studs (and worse, if I remember)? How did that/is that going, if that was you?

That is Blistex. There is nothing in my house that requires "minor renovations", it is a house that should have been bulldozed by any sane person but I am basically rebuilding it from scratch because I have no sense :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

That is Blistex. There is nothing in my house that requires "minor renovations", it is a house that should have been bulldozed by any sane person but I am basically rebuilding it from scratch because I have no sense :v:

It makes for good entertainment though. Also, a very good redneckish how to :haw:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Nitrox posted:

I don't know anything about masonry roof, is not having any sheeting under those shingles a normal thing? How do you not end up with an attic full of bees and poo poo?

If that glass wool is the kind with the aluminium foil on one side, then it needs no sheeting. The foil on the insulating glass wool is the moisture/bee barrier.

verymoldy posted:

Isn't it kind of a bad thing that, in your attic, you can look through your roof shingles/tiles and see daylight? I mean gently caress bees what happens when it rains with some wind and suddenly water? Is that stuff underneath magical water evaporating material? I feel like there should be some tar paper somewhere around those tiles.

The tiles are designed with ridges and grooves that make them interlock in the places where it matters. Also that roof looks like it's atleast a 45 degree slope, combined with the ridges and grooves, by the time there is enough wind to drive rain up in there, you should be more worried that gravity is the only thing holding the tiles on the roof to begin with.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You could make a double-sided drawer and share it with one of the bedrooms on the other side of the wall so they can both store things in it at once :aaaaa:

Before we bought our first house we looked at one that had a cabinet in the kitchen that was a pass through to the bathroom. It was the cabinet directly beside the microwave and it went to a medicine cabinet above the toilet.

Useful if you run out of TP I guess so someone can just toss you a roll, but I can't think of a lot of reasons why that would exist. The best part is that by all appearances it was original to the house (built circa 1950).

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Here is a 2nd hand story for you all, since this thread has given me so many laughs. Unfortunately no pics though..

Was over at a friend's house the other day, it was raining and we have a lot of snow on the ground still. It is a "ranch style" house with a full concrete block basement, built sometime in the 1980s.

In the basement is a wood stove, hooked into a regular concrete block chimney that goes up from the basement floor to the roof. The woodstove pipe hooks into the chimney a few feet below the "ceiling" which is the floor of the main house level. There is a door for a cleanout in the chimney a couple feet above the basement floor.

When we went down in the basement we found that the floor was flooded. It turns out that the cleanout door for the chimney was pouring out water. Like-- a fuckin lot of water. They don't have a rain cap on the chimney which was the major cause of this.

In the process of helping her clean up the place though she related a story from last week. They had a similar basement flooding problem (no floor drains, sump, dehumidifier or anything like that) and that one was even better than what I got to see.

When they went to the basement to fill the wood stove they found that the floor was flooded. After some investigation, it turns out that the water was coming through the foundation wall, right where the electrical service entrance entered the house to go to the main breaker panel :supaburn:

Anyway, to make a long story short they thawed/chipped/dug/busted the earth up around the foundation wall to dig down to where the conduit penetrates the blocks. What was used as backfill against the foundation wall, you might ask? Well it was approximately 90 kerjillion glass beer bottles with about a foot of dirt on top and nothing else :golfclap:

apatite fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 31, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

verymoldy posted:

I actually posted it in the wrong thread... Here it is!

Just finished priming the back room. Took a gallon and a partial can I had left over. The old exterior wall of the house (wood panelling) took a lot more than I thought to get it covered since it probably has about 20% more surface area than it would lead you to believe.

Looking towards the side that the "L" shaped cupboards and counter top will be. There will be some 1/4 round trim in the corner where the drywall and panel wall meets. I think I'll keep it the same colour as the walls, but it will have to wait until the cupboards and counter top is installed, as they are going to be tight against the walls.

Looking towards the exterior door. The 7" outcropping all around the top of the three walls finished in drywall was a plank that stuck out 1/4" on the long wall. I decided it would be easier to cover it up and plaster and paint, rather than trying to make it look right. I think it turned out well. There will probably only be about 3" of it left showing once I get the drop ceiling installed, but I have to pick a colour and paint the walls before that happens.

Colour options, still deciding. I usually tape them to the wall and look at them during different times of the day to get an idea of what they look like in natural light and artificial. When I decide I don't like one, I take it off the wall until I have only one left. Then I grab a bunch more in different colours and do the same all over again. Eventually I find out what colour I like the best, and what shade of it as well.

Still waiting for a semi-flush mount I like to go on sale at Canadian Tire to replace the "boob light" that is already in there (fixture hanging down) and I'm getting a 1250 Watt baseboard heater to mount next to the exterior door (nice to have something other than wood for when you decide to go on a vacation in the winter).

Edit: Colour options have started to expand. Trying to coordinate with my wife who's in China right now. "Fun"

"Blue, but not too dark, and maybe some green thrown in" (her words)

Blistex fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 1, 2014

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

dinozaur posted:

My other research in the house shows that it was purchased as a foreclosure in 2009 for dirt cheap.
If you can get it for under 30k and it's in a decent neighborhood, it might be worth it.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

Fire Storm posted:

If you can get it for under 30k and it's in a decent neighborhood, it might be worth it.

That abortion of a house has a pending offer on it and was listed for $420,000. Welcome to Northern VA real estate!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Devor posted:

As long as you run some hot water down the pipes first to warm them up, you'll be fine. Just capture the water in a pitcher or bowl until the kitchen sink's hot water warms up, then run the hot water for a minute or two, and then dump the water you reserved at first down the pipes.

No freezing!

You do understand that PVC can shatter from temperature shock if you do that, right? :v:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Dont worry, its never going to pass appraisal/inspection as its out of code and the financing will fall through.

Or its an all cash offer, in which case gently caress them they deserve it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dinozaur posted:

That abortion of a house has a pending offer on it and was listed for $420,000. Welcome to Northern VA real estate!

Sounds like Toronto real estate.

Edit: Did that red text you have JUST happen? Like right now?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Blistex posted:

Edit: Colour options have started to expand. Trying to coordinate with my wife who's in China right now. "Fun"

And to add to the delight, colors are going to be thrown WAY off by cameras, compression, lighting, and display on screens. If she's picky about colors (what woman isn't) I'd be really hesitant to trust her "liking" a color that was digitally reprocessed several times and then displayed on a non-color-calibrated monitor.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

And to add to the delight, colors are going to be thrown WAY off by cameras, compression, lighting, and display on screens. If she's picky about colors (what woman isn't) I'd be really hesitant to trust her "liking" a color that was digitally reprocessed several times and then displayed on a non-color-calibrated monitor.

Ever since I had to get a color calibration tool to match two monitors together (same model, but years of difference in age, which was annoying to see side by side), I've been waiting for a day when having a calibrated screen would make a difference.

Maybe some day...

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Enzo posted:

Even if it was color-calibrated, the color space of a monitor and the color space of available paint hues probably don't match up, so it still might be off enough to be noticeable in person.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Uncle Enzo posted:

I took a few different pictures in different lighting conditions to get it as close as possible, but yah. I don't have her Vaio handy to colour correct, and like you said, there are a host of other issues as well. What I'd have to do is have her laptop in front of me, and fool around with each paint chip in photoshop with the actual chip being held next to it on the monitor. I figure an hour to get it perfect.

What I'm actually hoping (emphasis on hoping) is that this can at least narrow it down a bit, and get me closer to the colour/shade she is thinking of, as opposed to her trying to describe it, "a blueish-green, but a little dark, and maybe a hint of tan or brown?" :suicide: Once she has narrowed it down, I can then get a few close chips and see which one jumps out at me from the wall.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One thing you might be able to do is to take a photo of the chips along with something that you know is white (like a sheet of paper). That white thing should be usable to calibrate the display so that everything else is the right color. At least, I think that's a thing that can be done...

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Blistex posted:

I took a few different pictures in different lighting conditions to get it as close as possible, but yah. I don't have her Vaio handy to colour correct, and like you said, there are a host of other issues as well. What I'd have to do is have her laptop in front of me, and fool around with each paint chip in photoshop with the actual chip being held next to it on the monitor. I figure an hour to get it perfect.

What I'm actually hoping (emphasis on hoping) is that this can at least narrow it down a bit, and get me closer to the colour/shade she is thinking of, as opposed to her trying to describe it, "a blueish-green, but a little dark, and maybe a hint of tan or brown?" :suicide: Once she has narrowed it down, I can then get a few close chips and see which one jumps out at me from the wall.

If the color is your call and you're just trying to get her input that sounds fine. If she has the final say (I bet she does), then there is no way you are going to make the colors look the same. You're matching paints with subtle surface shades in totally uncontrolled lighting, mapping a 4-dimensional CMYK to a 3-dimensional RGB color palette, compressing that, then displaying this stuff on random equipment.

Fun fact: did you know most TN panels don't actually display the full RGB 16.2 million colors? They only show 262k colors and fake the rest with dithering.

Anyways I wish you luck, just wanted to let you know that trying to get colors to be the same across multiple devices is a crazy difficult problem that would take a vast amount more effort to solve than it's probably worth.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Blistex posted:

I actually posted it in the wrong thread... Here it is!

Just finished priming the back room. Took a gallon and a partial can I had left over. The old exterior wall of the house (wood panelling) took a lot more than I thought to get it covered since it probably has about 20% more surface area than it would lead you to believe.

Looking towards the side that the "L" shaped cupboards and counter top will be. There will be some 1/4 round trim in the corner where the drywall and panel wall meets. I think I'll keep it the same colour as the walls, but it will have to wait until the cupboards and counter top is installed, as they are going to be tight against the walls.

Looking towards the exterior door. The 7" outcropping all around the top of the three walls finished in drywall was a plank that stuck out 1/4" on the long wall. I decided it would be easier to cover it up and plaster and paint, rather than trying to make it look right. I think it turned out well. There will probably only be about 3" of it left showing once I get the drop ceiling installed, but I have to pick a colour and paint the walls before that happens.

Colour options, still deciding. I usually tape them to the wall and look at them during different times of the day to get an idea of what they look like in natural light and artificial. When I decide I don't like one, I take it off the wall until I have only one left. Then I grab a bunch more in different colours and do the same all over again. Eventually I find out what colour I like the best, and what shade of it as well.

Still waiting for a semi-flush mount I like to go on sale at Canadian Tire to replace the "boob light" that is already in there (fixture hanging down) and I'm getting a 1250 Watt baseboard heater to mount next to the exterior door (nice to have something other than wood for when you decide to go on a vacation in the winter).

Ask if there is anything she can think of around the house that is the color she is thinking of. Failing that, maybe cars that are the right color? Especially if she can give you a make/model/year of a vehicle that is the right color, then you can get the same thing in a matched touchup pen here for like five bucks and have that matched at the paint store, perhaps after lightening it up a lot.

Your description sounds kinda like a light slate blue, there are both blue and green slates and everything in between.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One thing you might be able to do is to take a photo of the chips along with something that you know is white (like a sheet of paper). That white thing should be usable to calibrate the display so that everything else is the right color. At least, I think that's a thing that can be done...

You can use a sheet of white in the same lighting to "white balance" your camera, assuming the camera has that function, but that does nothing for all the remaining steps in the photo-to-computer-to-another-computer chain.

This is a difficult problem that a lot of people have spent millions of dollars on trying to fix. The short answer is, unless you have two matching-calibrated monitors, and a good camera with good white balancing and color reproduction, which has a RAW setting to avoid any color-processing that happens in the camera, it is a total crapshoot and a fools' errand.

He'd be better off FedExing color chips to his wife internationally and letting her send back what she likes.'

e. Oh, another option would be for his wife to find a local place where they have some standardized color samples, such as PantoneR. She can pick the exact one she wants and then tell him which one that is.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 1, 2014